Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soft fabrics
Aug 17, 2008

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

help

tvb posted:

help
Cheers! And don't worry, I'm buying the DVD when it comes out :) It's Pixar after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

twistedmentat posted:

So I was watching Robocop the other day, and when Clarance gets into his car just before they go to the Mill, it looks like his rear view mirror falls off as he slams the door.

This made me wonder, have there been any instances of something really wrong being caught on film and not being removed during editing? I've heard of stuff like planes flying by in the background of a civil war movie, or an guy playing a Indian in an old western wearing a relatively modern watch, but nothing huge.

You mean other than the films of Edward D. Wood, Jr.? Plan 9 From Outer Space has a cardboard gravestone getting knocked over, among many other things.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

twistedmentat posted:

So I was watching Robocop the other day, and when Clarance gets into his car just before they go to the Mill, it looks like his rear view mirror falls off as he slams the door.

This made me wonder, have there been any instances of something really wrong being caught on film and not being removed during editing? I've heard of stuff like planes flying by in the background of a civil war movie, or an guy playing a Indian in an old western wearing a relatively modern watch, but nothing huge.

All the time, but they're usually little things like the ones you mentioned. Look up just about any film on IMDb, and in the left hand column there's a section for "Goofs" with things like this

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
There's always tons of continuity stuff that people love to nit-pick over (editing gets a pass from me for the most part) but true classic goofs like the Stormtrooper in Star Wars almost knocking himself out on the blast door when they confront C3PO and R2D2 are timeless.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Universe Master posted:

Why do the Highlanders/Immortals want to kill each other?

Most of their problems stem from the fear of beheading/constantly having to train for battles/ the loneliness of mortals aging and dying and the inability to connect with other immortals because they might try to kill you. Yes, there is some vague notion of "The Prize" but it seemed to be morality with telepathy when Connor "won" it, and he may not have "won" it anyway.

Seriously, if they just got together and ended the fighting and they could all hang out and form immortal corporations with super long term investment strategies to get rich. They could form friendships and relationships with each other and not have to worry about watching their friend/partner eventually age and dye. Pretty much live forever in paradise and all they have to do is not cut each others heads off! How hard is that?

Because when one immortal kills another he gains his quickening, which is basically a lame version of the force. Some immortals actually do try to keep out of "The Game" but there are always headhunters out there who will do whatever it takes to gain more power and/or "The Prize". This was the part that made sense.

What made no sense was how the gathering came about. Apparently new immortals were being born all the time until the late 1970s or something, so what made them just stop being born? I have no idea other than it being part of the plot.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Ignoring the horrible second movie suggestion, I figured that immortals should continue to pop up infrequently until such time as one of them wins the prize, thus ending the game (forever?).

So there might be a hundred dudes or a dozen but as long as the prize was unclaimed some more might pop up.

I'll readily admit ignorance of the series and I assume they had a mechanism to extend things that didn't involve aliens. But this was kind of how I took the concept of the first movie.

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

Ape Agitator posted:

Ignoring the horrible second movie suggestion, I figured that immortals should continue to pop up infrequently until such time as one of them wins the prize, thus ending the game (forever?).

So there might be a hundred dudes or a dozen but as long as the prize was unclaimed some more might pop up.

Sure, that makes sense, but it'd also basically make it pretty much impossible for someone to ever win once the planet's population reaches the point where thousands of people are being born every second. The guy who gets rid of all the adult immortals is going to have to jet around the globe constantly killing babies, and until teleportation is invented, while he's on the plane to get one of them another will be born somewhere. Sucks for him.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Ortsacras posted:

Sure, that makes sense, but it'd also basically make it pretty much impossible for someone to ever win once the planet's population reaches the point where thousands of people are being born every second. The guy who gets rid of all the adult immortals is going to have to jet around the globe constantly killing babies, and until teleportation is invented, while he's on the plane to get one of them another will be born somewhere. Sucks for him.

I definitely got the impression that immortals know each other innately enough to be able to find a fight when they need it. Kurgan appeared to know McCloud was one before McCloud even did and was able to find him afterwards. I figure it's kind of a "soul mate" thing where they're drawn together so that they can find the fight they need. No need to lay waste to the "normal" population unless that's a hobby.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Ramirez said something along the lines of "When there's only a few of us left, we'll feel a pull towards a far away place." in reference to The Gathering. I always figured that Immortals always had an innate drive to fight others, but that some manage to quiet that "hunger". They do it because it's instinctual, and the ones that actually enjoy The Game want The Prize - even if they had no idea what it actually was.

You can see in the movie and show that they can sense each other's presence.... I figure the drive to fight is some sort of an extension of that feeling.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I'm pretty sure you only become an immortal if you are genetically predisposed and die a horrible death your first time. So killing babies would be somewhat unnecessary. You don't have to kill all the potential immortals just the actual immortals.

There was this episode where this concert pianist could be immortal and one of Duncan's immortal buddies convinced her she could perpetuate her art into eternity so he brutally murdered her with her permission and she got to be immortal. However, she lost the ability to play the piano because apparently you need to fear death to be able to do art or some such nonsense so to get her piano playing ability back she declined to learn how to sword fight. Highlander was a pretty terrible show.

Also that greek dude that showed up toward the end and is in both Duncan movies is immortal, but doesn't fight at all. I want to say he's a monk so he's on holy ground a lot, but that could be crossed memories of some other immortal that was a monk and similarly didn't participate in The Game.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Yeah, the series established a potential immortal has to die of unnatural (i.e. violent) causes for the whole immortality thing to kick in. Otherwise they just grow old and die as usual. It should be noted that immortals can sense which folks are potential immortals.

So theres really no need for the baby killing stuff. But you'll at least know who may become immortals in the future.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Kentucky Shark posted:

(Not trying to be an rear end, I just always champion United 93 because I think it's one of the best movies of the last few years).
I concur. I don't think a film has left me as speechless since...oh God, I don't know. The last few minutes are gut-wrenching.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

itrorev posted:

Yeah, the series established a potential immortal has to die of unnatural (i.e. violent) causes for the whole immortality thing to kick in. Otherwise they just grow old and die as usual. It should be noted that immortals can sense which folks are potential immortals.

So theres really no need for the baby killing stuff. But you'll at least know who may become immortals in the future.

Maybe. I mean Highlander: the series sucked balls but I think you have to be pretty powerful to sense a pre-immortal. In Highlander 1 the Kurgen sensed Conner was an immortal and wanted to kill him on the battlefield (which makes no sense as Conner hadn't "bonded" with the quickening or whatever as he did with Rameriez, so he gains nothing.)

Yet, Duncan MacLeod who is a rather strong immortal himself (as well as a shameless ripoff of Conner) couldn't sense his buddy Richie was a Pre-Immortal? I love Highlander, it had so much potential to be awesome... too bad they hosed it up so hard. :(

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006

MrJacobs posted:

Maybe. I mean Highlander: the series sucked balls but I think you have to be pretty powerful to sense a pre-immortal. In Highlander 1 the Kurgen sensed Conner was an immortal and wanted to kill him on the battlefield (which makes no sense as Conner hadn't "bonded" with the quickening or whatever as he did with Rameriez, so he gains nothing.)

Yet, Duncan MacLeod who is a rather strong immortal himself (as well as a shameless ripoff of Conner) couldn't sense his buddy Richie was a Pre-Immortal? I love Highlander, it had so much potential to be awesome... too bad they hosed it up so hard. :(

Real Answer: Probably because the writers hadn't thought of that whole Potential Immortal crap.

Fake Answer: Duncan wasn't taking his Sense Potential Immortal pills?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

itrorev posted:

Real Answer: Probably because the writers hadn't thought of that whole Potential Immortal crap.

Fake Answer: Duncan wasn't taking his Sense Potential Immortal pills?

He says in a later episode that he knew he was an immortal the whole time.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm re-watching "The Dark Knight"...

When Harvey Dent gets rescued by Gordon and Batman, Det. Ramirez puts him in the police car driven by Det. Wuertz. It's later established that these two have been bribed by Maroni and are working for him/the Joker.

Gordon gets a phone call and we learn that "Harvey Dent never made it home", and we are led to assume that Wuertz drove him home. The Joker even makes the statement that Gordon's men are working for Maroni, and throughout the film prior it's constantly put forth by many people that Gordon's unit is corrupt. Gordon is the only one to deny it.

So, why don't they... you know... ask Wuertz what he did with Dent? He (Wuertz) is standing right next to Gordon while Batman is interrogating the Joker.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Todd Flanders posted:

When Harvey Dent gets rescued by Gordon and Batman, Det. Ramirez puts him in the police car driven by Det. Wuertz. It's later established that these two have been bribed by Maroni and are working for him/the Joker.

Gordon gets a phone call and we learn that "Harvey Dent never made it home", and we are led to assume that Wuertz drove him home. The Joker even makes the statement that Gordon's men are working for Maroni, and throughout the film prior it's constantly put forth by many people that Gordon's unit is corrupt. Gordon is the only one to deny it.

So, why don't they... you know... ask Wuertz what he did with Dent? He (Wuertz) is standing right next to Gordon while Batman is interrogating the Joker.

I kind of assume that there was a cover story of some kind: "I watched him walk up his front steps, honest". And if the police are as corrupt as they say, I don't think anyone would be leaning hard on him or just chalked it up to incompetence. Of course, the unhinged Dent wouldn't be held back and went right to them.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Eagle Eye

Yeah I know... but... ok, so Shia and his lady friend were sitting in an airport waiting to get on a commercial flight (some guy gave them the credit cards in their names there). They bought tickets to DC and were sitting at the gate when Billy Bob spots one of them, and a chase ensues... They end up on a cargo plane wherein they need to inject themselves with the experimental heart medicine to survive the flight.

Ok, so the computer made them steal the case with the drugs, and the FBI got really lucky spotting them on the tour bus, and followed, but then the computer had them buy commercial flight tickets and wait in the airport. Only when the FBI spotted them out of a series of sheer luck, did they run through the baggage area and end up on a cargo plane.

Why? Why did they steal the drugs only to try to board a commercial flight? How would the computer know the FBI would spot a reflection on a tour bus, and be able to follow them to the airport? How did it know they would spot them and chase them to a cargo plane? If they hadn't been spotted, they would have boarded the commercial flight, so why sdteal the drugs when the computer would have no way of knowing they would be forced to jump on a cargo plane?

How did it know this ALL beforehand, days before the incidents?

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Ok, I just watched The Sniper and I am confused as to the final scene.

So you got an arrogant sniper who went to prison cause he accidentally shot some rich kid dead trying to kill a bank robber he thought was pulling the trigger on a grenade. This is the villian

No one backed his version of what happened, including the rival, well I shouldn't say rival, since the villian was undisputed better; so he's sent to jail. He gets out and he wants revenge for all those people that didn't support him. He hallucinates about his wife or whatever who died while he was in jail, so he's kinda sympathetic I guess.

So he sets up a situation so he can kill/injure his old sniper team, and of course he dies.

The final scene shows the bank robber obviously pulling the pin out when he took that shot that got him sent to jail.. so it seems he was right all along! The "hero" was obviously a douchebag who lied so he could become the best; ruining this guy's life.
Did I just not get that final scene? Or are we suppose to think the villian is vindicated?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What happened to Michael Keaton's career? He used to be a big draw, I mean he was Batman for god's sake, but he's barely done anything in the past 10 years.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He was overshadowed by Michael Douglas.

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

muscles like this? posted:

What happened to Michael Keaton's career? He used to be a big draw, I mean he was Batman for god's sake, but he's barely done anything in the past 10 years.

Because after he made Batman he starred in a bunch of mediocre movies that didn't make much money, and a couple that bombed huge (e.g. Multiplicity). It's not really a mystery that his run as an A-list star came to an end when he didn't have a single non-Batman hit after 1990.

Though I confess The Paper is one of my favorite overlooked gems of the 90s. I'm a sucker for a good newspaper movie.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007
Question about "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:"

He sends postcards from Liverpool and Glasgow, but then he says the tug boat is working up and down the east coast of America. Huh? Also, do tug boats usually travel across the Atlantic to find work in Russia?!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Todd Flanders posted:

I have been watching it too because it just came out on cable. I can't answer your question, but I wanted to ask one of my own.

Am I the only person who hated the Rachel Dawes character throughout both movies?

I hated Katie Holmes in "Batman Begins" and I loving despise Maggie Gyllenhaal in "The Dark Knight". Every time I see her moon face on screen in "The Dark Knight" I just want to punch it until it is an unrecognizable bloody mess. And it isn't that I hate Maggie Gyllenhaal because I actually really liked her in the "Stranger Than Fiction".

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

TMMadman posted:

I have been watching it too because it just came out on cable. I can't answer your question, but I wanted to ask one of my own.

Am I the only person who hated the Rachel Dawes character throughout both movies?

I hated Katie Holmes in "Batman Begins" and I loving despise Maggie Gyllenhaal in "The Dark Knight". Every time I see her moon face on screen in "The Dark Knight" I just want to punch it until it is an unrecognizable bloody mess. And it isn't that I hate Maggie Gyllenhaal because I actually really liked her in the "Stranger Than Fiction".

Rachel Dawes was always an unlikeable oval office whose sole purpose seemed to be undermining Bruce Wayne at every turn and generally acting like a self-righteous bitch. Everything she says and does was just a big "gently caress you" to Bruce.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

NGL posted:

Rachel Dawes was always an unlikeable oval office whose sole purpose seemed to be undermining Bruce Wayne at every turn and generally acting like a self-righteous bitch. Everything she says and does was just a big "gently caress you" to Bruce.

Oh thank God it's not just me. I didn't really like her in "Batman Begins", but I absolutely hated her in "The Dark Knight". Her whole spiel to Alfred after Bruce lets Harvey get arrested for being Batman just pisses me off to no end.

Seriously, about the only line I liked from her in the entire movie is when her and Batman fall to the street at the fund raising party and she says 'Let's not do that again'. Every time I watch her get blown up, I smile.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

In the middle of watching Guilty By Suspicion (1991 flick with Robert De Niro about the Red Scare in 1950s Hollywood) and I just had a question about the MPAA's rating system. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that a PG-13 movie is allowed to use "gently caress" maybe once or twice at the most, provided that it's not in a sexual context, otherwise it gets the R rating.

The movie in question is rated PG-13 and I've heard "gently caress" numerous times already. Just wondering how that could have slipped past the MPAA - did the director have pull with someone or are there extenuating circumstances for when a movie can get a lower rating?

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Encryptic posted:

In the middle of watching Guilty By Suspicion (1991 flick with Robert De Niro about the Red Scare in 1950s Hollywood) and I just had a question about the MPAA's rating system. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that a PG-13 movie is allowed to use "gently caress" maybe once or twice at the most, provided that it's not in a sexual context, otherwise it gets the R rating.

The movie in question is rated PG-13 and I've heard "gently caress" numerous times already. Just wondering how that could have slipped past the MPAA - did the director have pull with someone or are there extenuating circumstances for when a movie can get a lower rating?

From Wikipedia:
A couple of exceptions were noted: rare films such as Guilty by Suspicion were allowed as many as nine uses of the word; probably because of the precedent set in the 1970s by politically important films such as All the President's Men.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is a more general question about the movie making process: Why does the person who does the casting get a special credit, and why do they have those letters after their name, like they are a c.s.a. or something like that.

1: I would think the director would do the casting, as they could pick the actors who would have the particular look or feel or whatever they are looking for.

2: How hard can it be to cast a movie? It doesn't seem like there would be some amazing skill set to find actors who "look" right, or whatever. Does the casting person deal with the contracts and stuff? Wouldn't that be the producer's job?

I guess what I'm saying is I can imagine what the person in charge of casting does, but it seems like a pretty inefficient system to have that person in the middle of the creative/financial process - it's like one more level of bureaucracy or something that doesn't need to be there.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I think there's more to the casting process than you give credit for. A movie can have a few to dozens of speaking roles, some extremely brief and some headlining. A director's job may or may not be involved in the casting process. Certainly for the primary stars and several of the primary supporting actors they might get really hands on but for a lot of the rest it's quite a process. There's finding the right person for a role out of the thousands of potential actors, there's dealing with schedules, there's the auditioning process where they whittle down the pool to the most promising people (from the initial cattle call), and then there's getting people signed on.

A lot of this is stuff that would bog down a director much of the time and the casting director should bring some insight to the table to help the director find the character they're after.

Also, it stands for Casting Society of America.
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-casting-director.htm
The CSA calls themselves "in a sense, human resource departments for actors" which is pretty apt. You wouldn't expect the president of the company to interview every applicant, would you?

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Sizzlechest posted:

Question about "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button:"

He sends postcards from Liverpool and Glasgow, but then he says the tug boat is working up and down the east coast of America. Huh? Also, do tug boats usually travel across the Atlantic to find work in Russia?!

It was converted into a salvage boat which started off taking contracts on the East Coast then later took a contract to clean up salvage in Murmansk (salvage vessels tend to go wherever the money is). Presumably they stopped in Liverpool and Glasgow on the way.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ape Agitator posted:

casting stuff

Yes, this. For instance, for roles such as child roles where the actors are unknowns, the casting director would have the auditions (and film them), and then whittle down the ones that suited the look that the director was after, and present the leading candidates. What if, for instance, the film requires supporting cast with specific attributes (tattoos, ethnicity, etc)- you think the director is going to call and sit through auditions for all of those?

Also, if you are an inexperienced or unknown producer, casting directors can get you access to agents and cast, and give guidance on deal-making. There is nothing inefficient about it at all.

Also, on an unrelated note: I just had a crap and when I exited the toilet, Terry Gilliam was waiting to go in. Luckily it wasn't too smelly, but he loves scatological humour, so I didn't feel too sorry for him.

therattle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 23, 2009

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Follow up re: casting stuff

OK, I guess I can see it. But doesn't this person have a huge amount of power? It must be pretty easy to get laid if you are a casting person...

Also, why are they generally listed alone in the credits, instead of with all the assistants to the producers, because essentially this is what they are, right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JD Brickmeister posted:

Follow up re: casting stuff

OK, I guess I can see it. But doesn't this person have a huge amount of power? It must be pretty easy to get laid if you are a casting person...

Also, why are they generally listed alone in the credits, instead of with all the assistants to the producers, because essentially this is what they are, right?

Yep. Ever heard of the casting couch?

They are classified as heads of department, alongside people like director of photography, editor, costume designer, etc, and thus receive a main-title credit.

They are not assistants to the producer: they are not employed full-time by him/her, but are brought on on a project-by-project basis to perform a specific and specialised task. By your logic, everyone who works on the film could be classified as an assistant to the producer or director.

Basket of Kittens
Feb 22, 2008

Across the Rio Grande
What city was at the end of the first Transformers? I was thinking Phoenix or something but there wasn't enough sprawl

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ken Levine Fan Club posted:

What city was at the end of the first Transformers? I was thinking Phoenix or something but there wasn't enough sprawl

As far as I know it wasn't supposed to be any specific city, it was just a city.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Ape Agitator q.!=.e.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 23, 2009

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Ken Levine Fan Club posted:

I believe they even called it Mission City so it's basically Anywheresville, USA as long as that's close to a big dam.

JD Brickmeister posted:

I don't think you give enough credit to the casting process. The hordes of people onscreen that aren't given billing on the poster were probably the work of the casting director. In many cases, even those given billing were the product of the casting director's process. It's an important role and they can breathe life into a movie just like a costume director can.

There are way too many potential actors and the source material is pretty non-specific about what each character in the film is exactly like. Being able to translate the role to an actor and recognize the potential to meet the needs of the film is a tough choice. Many, many actors started out auditioning like everyone else before they got onto director and producer's mental wishlists.

Of course, they aren't infallible either and there are lots of stories of bad decisions on their part. I believe Natalie Portman was initially cut from Leon's audition lists for being too young.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 23, 2009

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speed Racer has been playing on cable recently and after watching it again I was left wondering, have they ever explained what was up with the setting? As in, what year it was supposed to be taking place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

muscles like this? posted:

Speed Racer has been playing on cable recently and after watching it again I was left wondering, have they ever explained what was up with the setting? As in, what year it was supposed to be taking place?

It took place in that time and place where your childhood died and was replaced by adulthood. When ninjas riding on dinosaurs fighting each other with laser guns wasn't anachronistic, it was just everything awesome combined into one.