Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unserene
Jan 21, 2005
Another new Subaru owner reporting in. Just got my first car, a 97 Impreza 2.2LS.
Little bit of rust, a few odds and ends to clean up and she'll be running fine.
Plus she was cheap, which helps!
Anyone recommend a good place for tips on improvements or are you fine people good for a few noob questions?

Click here for the full 640x475 image.

Unserene fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac Asimov
Oct 22, 2004

Phrost bought me this custom title even though he doesn't know me, to get rid of the old one (lol gay) out of respect for my namesake. Thanks, Phr
My Dad sent this to me, I thought you guys might get a laugh.

the onion posted:

Professional Racing Drivers In 2-Ton Cars Terrified By Droplets Of Water
June 2, 2009 | Onion Sports
CONCORD, NC--A paralyzing fear of precipitation kept dozens of highly skilled competition drivers, all of them trained to drive roll-cage equipped cars mere inches from one another at speeds exceeding 200 miles per hour for extended periods of time, from finishing the Coca-Cola 600 Monday. "I'm overjoyed to win the race, but I'm even more relieved that I didn't have to face the worst horror known to the professional racer: falling moisture," said David Reutimann, who was declared the winner when officials pronounced the track "horrifyingly damp" after only 227 laps and halted NASCAR's longest race. "Every race driver, except for maybe the guys in Formula One, and the Le Mans drivers, the Rolex Series, and rally drivers, I guess, and those guys in amateur racing...anyway, every single racing driver knows that if you drive in the rain you will automatically crash. No one in NASCAR wants to see crashes." Reutimann then thanked his sponsors and rushed off to hide in his motor home until the sun came out.
http://mobile.theonion.com/siteserver/site?t=h.sAiYUzUrpI.2P.P072.g&sid=onion

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Isaac Asimov posted:

I blip regular cars, if I do it in my saabrx it jumps forward and doesn't pick up the slack, it just goes way back down to a low rpm and I've killed it often by doing it that way.

edit: I can start from a stop by easing off the clutch, but its just so unusually slow at first, even for regular traffic driving.

I've noticed this as well.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
So, speaking of clutches, I've noticed that when you depress the clutch in the 9-2x, there's a noise, a bit like a much quieter gear whine like you'd get in reverse. I'm quite sure it didn't used to make that noise. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Dr JonboyG posted:

So, speaking of clutches, I've noticed that when you depress the clutch in the 9-2x, there's a noise, a bit like a much quieter gear whine like you'd get in reverse. I'm quite sure it didn't used to make that noise. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It could be your throwout bearing maybe?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
hellaflush yo:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

This car prompted me to register hellafunctional.com and start designing stickers.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jun 10, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

jamal posted:

hellaflush yo:

This car prompted me to register hellafunctional.com and start designing stickers.

Who was the dickhead who thought that was a good idea?

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Wheel bearings we dont need no stinking wheel bearings.

Your only hellaflush if you cant go to full lock on your steering wheel without eating your tire.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm now due for my 90k service, should I take it to the dealer with a 10% off coupon, or one of my 2 normal mechanics around the corner from the house?

Edit: If I go to the guys around the corner should I request a specific fluid for the man trans and diffs?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 10, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

toplitzin posted:

I'm now due for my 90k service, should I take it to the dealer with a 10% off coupon, or one of my 2 normal mechanics around the corner from the house?

Edit: If I go to the guys around the corner should I request a specific fluid for the man trans and diffs?

well if you don't care about the price, take it to the dealer (subaru dealer that is). If you do care about the price, and the family mechanic is way cheaper, and he'll use genuine parts, and you trust him, then go there.

What model car do you have? For most models the 90,000 mile service doesn't require much mechanical work, mostly fluid and filter changes.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=995498 and https://www.subaru.com/my-subaru/maintenance-schedule2009.html in particular.

I'd recommend doing the service yourself, it's enlightening and you'll save money.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have an 02 WRX wagon. I'd love to do the service, but that requires buying a floor jack, four jack stands, a set of wrenches, sockets, and a torque wrench, and driving all that stuff to work where I would have a warehouse worth of space to do it in. Which if I buy it all from harbor freight about $150 plus finding redline oil.

Do any brick and mortar stores carry redline?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
Some stores carry that stuff, you'll have to check. However, unless you have some special requirements or good technical reason to go aftermarket, I'd just use the original type fluids. How much is your dealer quoting you for the service?
Remember to ask for a breakdown on what's included, and compare it to what's listed on the service schedule at that second link. Line by line what they say should match, as it's the official subaru schedule. If they omit anything, ask about it. If they add anything, ask why.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I tired calling them, they seem to be a bit swamped. I just got the coupon from my MySubaru account. According to my service manual, the only replace items are air filter, coolant, transmission, brake, and diff fluids.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

toplitzin posted:

I tired calling them, they seem to be a bit swamped. I just got the coupon from my MySubaru account. According to my service manual, the only replace items are air filter, coolant, transmission, brake, and diff fluids.
Also oil change obviously.
An additional thing to do would be bleed the clutch hydraulic system. Not so much for performance reasons, but to prevent premature failure of the slave cylinder. Debris can collect there and wear out the seals.
This of course is if you have the manual, if you have an auto then this doesn't apply.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ab0z posted:

Also oil change obviously.
An additional thing to do would be bleed the clutch hydraulic system. Not so much for performance reasons, but to prevent premature failure of the slave cylinder. Debris can collect there and wear out the seals.
This of course is if you have the manual, if you have an auto then this doesn't apply.

Yeah, I've got the 5MT. I'll take to the guy around the corner and just ask him to use the OEM fluid.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cat Terrist posted:

Who was the dickhead who thought that was a good idea?
VW owners need to stop buying subarus

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

jamal posted:

hellaflush yo:

Those tires/wheels don't fit :(

This hellaflush thing has been a very popular new trend in the younger subaru crowd.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

Its part of the whole hard parking trend.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD
My friend had some prodrive wheels on his wrx and was told they were hella flush. He promptly traded them for enkei RPF or something that were significantly lighter and less flush.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

toplitzin posted:

I'd recommend using the OEM coolant. I don't think it's a problem on those motors but earlier ones had headgasket problems.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CharlesM posted:

I'd recommend using the OEM coolant. I don't think it's a problem on those motors but earlier ones had headgasket problems.

No, its a problem with his motor. Its usually an external leak though. My 2002 2.5 NA is getting old and sometimes leaks a little on my driveway.

OP you can use OEM or Peak Global coolant only. Don't use anything else.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Ah, I didn't know the turbo motors had that problem too. I have a Phase 2 engine in the Forester with a minor external leak myself.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CharlesM posted:

Ah, I didn't know the turbo motors had that problem too. I have a Phase 2 engine in the Forester with a minor external leak myself.

Never mind what I said. I totally glossed over your mention of turbo and saw only a 2002 model year. No the turbos weren't affected.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
Where do you guys live with your AWD-wonders? I bought my Outback Sport about two years ago shortly before moving to Western North Carolina-- one of those regions where you have to drive a Subaru or doink a sibling to belong. I lived about an hour and a half from Deal's Gap and Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park.

Last week I moved all the way across the state and am now about an hour from the ocean. I have not seen a single other Subaru since I've moved here and it makes me sad. Now the only AWD fun I get to have is right-turns and parking lots. Oh and I guess it'll be fun in the average 3 inches of snow a year... :smith:

So how many other Subaru flatlanders are out there? Help me feel less out-of-place! I still love driving my oddity around town, but it's so weird after living in a sea of Subarus.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Pittsburgh, you can't walk 5 feet in a parking lot without tripping over a Subaru of some kind. It's really the perfect car for this region. lovely roads, hills, twisty roads, and weather all over the place. It can be 70 one day and have a dusting of snow on the ground less than 48 hours later during the fall or the spring.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Miami.
Oh well, it's a great wet weather car. I've always wanted to move somewhere that gets snow one day.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
wicked big tomorrow. Any goons going? Leaving bright and early tomorrow from VT.

I'll try and get some pictures.. should be some nice cars.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

bull3964 posted:

Pittsburgh, you can't walk 5 feet in a parking lot without tripping over a Subaru of some kind. It's really the perfect car for this region. lovely roads, hills, twisty roads, and weather all over the place. It can be 70 one day and have a dusting of snow on the ground less than 48 hours later during the fall or the spring.

This is what it's like in Boston too. I see a ton of Subarus here, every model.

raffie
Feb 28, 2004
hopeless incompetent
What's a decent boost gauge to get for my 2008 WRX? Something i can get off ebay or a vendor online and shipped over to singapore would be good.

I've been looking around but there's no real choice over here. Everyone's running with Defi gauges and all the associated add-ons, i just want a decent boost gauge.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

PabloBOOM posted:

Last week I moved all the way across the state and am now about an hour from the ocean. I have not seen a single other Subaru since I've moved here and it makes me sad.

Talking to myself because I actually spotted a first generation Legacy this morning at a local mountain bike park. First gen legacy wagons make me smile to begin with, and I was glad to see this one parked near mine. I'm not alone anymore!

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

PabloBOOM posted:

Where do you guys live with your AWD-wonders? I bought my Outback Sport about two years ago shortly before moving to Western North Carolina-- one of those regions where you have to drive a Subaru or doink a sibling to belong. I lived about an hour and a half from Deal's Gap and Smokey Mountain Nat'l Park.

Last week I moved all the way across the state and am now about an hour from the ocean. I have not seen a single other Subaru since I've moved here and it makes me sad. Now the only AWD fun I get to have is right-turns and parking lots. Oh and I guess it'll be fun in the average 3 inches of snow a year... :smith:

So how many other Subaru flatlanders are out there? Help me feel less out-of-place! I still love driving my oddity around town, but it's so weird after living in a sea of Subarus.

San Diego. Actually quite a few around. No where near as many as when I was back in the NE.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

raffie posted:

What's a decent boost gauge to get for my 2008 WRX? Something i can get off ebay or a vendor online and shipped over to singapore would be good.

I've been looking around but there's no real choice over here. Everyone's running with Defi gauges and all the associated add-ons, i just want a decent boost gauge.

Might want to check out Omori.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

raffie posted:

The new SPT ones are actually really nice, and reasonably priced. I like my Defi, but I plan on adding a bunch of other gauges down the line. Its possible that subarugenunieparts could arrange to have it shipped there if you emailed them about it.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Are there any major reliability issues with the 2005 Impreza RS? My current vehicle has finally sprung another repair and I'm now looking at buying something built this decade. A local Subaru dealership has an '05 RS for around $12k, single-owner, 40k miles and I'm thinking that it's just about the right mix of factors for me right now. Going to go take a look at it tomorrow/Tuesday.

the_worm_
Mar 11, 2001

PabloBOOM posted:

Where did you move to? I know a ton of eastern NC subaru guys

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Saw a bunch of Subarus on the Mass Pike driving back East today, was WBM today??

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
yeah, look up a few posts. Was trying to see if anyone else was going. Not bad, despite the weather.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

the_worm_ posted:

Where did you move to? I know a ton of eastern NC subaru guys

I just moved to near Clayton/Garner. On a similar note, is there a particularly favorite dealership in Raleigh? There's three I found in Raleigh/Durham/Cary, but haven't been to them or heard anything about them.

aluminumonkey
Jun 19, 2002

Reggie loves tacos
Would a 09 STI OEM sway bar fit a 09 OBS? I saw a pretty good price on subarugeniuneparts.com, but before I consider, some guy is selling a 08 wrx one for $40.

also, what type of oil should I be using? I am coming up to my 6k maintenance.

aluminumonkey fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jun 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So school's over, loans finished and :woop: it's time for a new car.

I'm looking at purchasing a new WRX '09, but my brother has been telling me that buying an 07 or so STi will be far better in terms of performance.

I found an STI nearby on carmax for about $25k with 15k of miles on it, and I'm looking to pay about the same on a new '09 WRX. I was originally going to buy an '08 WRX, but after looking at the supposed performance gains on the new '09s, I'd be a fool not to go with the new ones. I can swing it financially, I'm just curious about the performance comparison between the '09 WRXs and the '07 or so STIs.

My main concern is that STIs/WRXs in general are flogged pretty hard, as they are performance cars (which is what I want to do to), and I'm worried about having to replace parts in the 07 STI.

I've heard of the 02-04s having glass transmissions, and I'm just worried about what the previous owner's done in those 15k miles. What would I try and look for in the 07?

Thanks!