Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jujube
Dec 11, 2004

*Pain!* *Pain!* *Laughter!*

Phat_Albert posted:

You have to be just trolling at this point.

Well that took long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Made my own video from the local roads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfIFGQMuBrY&fmt=35

Diggin this. Where to you live? Also what kinda cam setup? You have 3 going at once or just the two?

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
I shot a motorcycle race yesterday.

29 more here. If any of y'all were there, or just like the photos, feel free to buy a print or six. Maybe it'll be enough to get me a new camera (I'm using an 8-year-old D1x and similarly beat-to-poo poo lenses).

All from safely behind the walls; I was offered a track pass, but I and the CMRA official both agreed that since it was my first time, it was probably best that I stay back -- runoff zones and all that. My motorcycle-racing experience is best summed up with "I've seen enough races on TV to know I don't want to be in front of a bike when it goes down."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Delivery McGee posted:

I shot a motorcycle race yesterday.

Great looking pictures. I hate looking at shots like this because it reminds me that at 6'5", I'll never look that cool in a full-tuck.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Hughmoris posted:

Great looking pictures. I hate looking at shots like this because it reminds me that at 6'5", I'll never look that cool in a full-tuck.

I know the pain. On the other hand it means a R1200GS or a Ulysses will be able to be straddled without looking like you've stolen your dad's bike.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Hughmoris posted:

As a short legged person you should be happy you'll never look awkward tip toeing around on a dual sport.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Silver posted:

Diggin this. Where to you live? Also what kinda cam setup? You have 3 going at once or just the two?

I live just outside of Knoxville, TN. 10min to the nearest mountain road :D

Two cam setup. The knee/foot cam and face cam were a GoPro Hero Wide, and then the helmet cam is a VIO POV1.5. I would love to have a third cam as it would make editing easier, but 2 will have to do for now :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

FlyinDoc posted:

Babby's 4th trackday, which was spent focusing on smoothness and consistent lines, along with experimenting with body position trying to keep all weight off the bars in corners as well as trying to end up less sore than last time. I'm thinking some techspec or stompgrip might help in this regard?

Any tips re: positioning Z3n? Or others?

(Sorry about the watermarking, still debating whether or not to buy the photos)

You look pretty good. Techspec (if you're concerned about tearing up your leathers) or Stompgrip (if you don't care about wearing the hell out of your leathers) is a must for any really aggressive hanging off.

Have you dragged a knee yet and are you just tucking in? Because if you're looking for first knee down, but you've got the lean angle, you're rotating your hips so they are parallel to the line of the wheels, rather than perpendicular to them. Rather than focusing on sticking your knee out, act like you're stepping sideways off of your bike, keeping your hips perpendicular to the line of the bike.

It's hard to tell because your pictures are all from one side, but that, along with making sure to set your body positioning before you turn in, are the 2 major things that most people will benefit from when they are working on body positioning as track novices.

However, while body positioning will pay dividends in the long run, you'll see a lot more immediate gain from working on consistancy in braking, lines, and throttle application. I'd make sure you're keeping your hips perpendicular to the bike and your body off to the inside, and then focus on everything else. You can refine BP when you've got enough comfort on the track to hit the same markers over and over.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RRRRAAAAGH I want this bike in these colors so much I feel like ripping my clothes off and running through the city, smashing things and jumping on cars.

GSX 1400124 Nm / 91 ft/lbs of torque

Ola fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 15, 2009

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

Ola posted:

RRRRAAAAGH I want this bike in these colors so much I feel like ripping my clothes off and running through the city, smashing things and jumping on cars.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Phat_Albert posted:

You have to be just trolling at this point.

Anyone who doesn't realize this is way too drat gullible. JtS for CA mod 2010!

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ola posted:

I know the feeling, this weekend (without having even seen on in person or anything), I COMPLETELY fell for the Ducati 848. I priced out insurance, found one at a local dealership, figured out (roughly) how much I could get for my two bikes if I sold/traded them both.. and while I could afford it, it's hardly a responsible purchase. :( I want it so bad I can taste it, and every review I've read said it's a great ride... which doesn't help.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Welcome to America: WHERE WE DONT GET THOSE AT ALL gently caress

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I know the feeling, this weekend (without having even seen on in person or anything), I COMPLETELY fell for the Ducati 848. I priced out insurance, found one at a local dealership, figured out (roughly) how much I could get for my two bikes if I sold/traded them both.. and while I could afford it, it's hardly a responsible purchase. :( I want it so bad I can taste it, and every review I've read said it's a great ride... which doesn't help.

It's fantastic: If you are ok with never feeling your wrists ever again. My wrists hurt on the front straight of thill with 125mph worth of wind holding up my upper body.

Oh, and the rear cylinder will cook the gently caress out of your leg. Even at track speeds. And the undertail will cook your rear end.

But it's a loving brilliant motorcycle and I would race one or track one in a heartbeat.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Fantastipotamus posted:

Did you test ride one at least?

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

You don't happen to work at Seacoast Cycles, do you? I know they're in Derry. I've been eyeing an 848 as my potential step-up bike lately, though it may mean ditching both my current bikes.

I don't work at Seacoast Cycles but they are like 5 min up the road from me. They have a ton of bikes in stock to drool over.

The 848 is definitely going to be my next bike and since I currently ride a 749, I'm guessing I am already used to the "problems" that Z3n is talking about. The 749 is my first bike and I'm guessing the 848 is going to be quite a step up in performance.

Edit - I feel I should disclose how I ended up with a Ducati for my first bike. It was my bosses bike and he put about 800 miles on it before he lost his license for quite a long time. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and he ended up selling it to me with no money down and he took 50 bucks out of my paycheck every week for about 3 years :)

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 16, 2009

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007
A few weeks ago I rode the 1198

Thought it was a wee bit too powerful for a street bike, so by next spring I'll be buying my second Ducati...

I have my heart se on an S model in black, lets hope I get lucky and score a nice used one.

There was an 848 at the demo that I didn't get the chance to ride, but I heard nothing but good things.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Fantastipotamus posted:

DO NOT loving TEST RIDE ONE.

I made the same mistake. It almost drove me to financial ruin.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Stole this from another thread.

Click here for the full 1296x972 image.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sometimes my people make me so proud, this is my new desktop.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
That guy is a badass among badasses.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Anyone else checking out the bikes used in the Iranian riots?

Honda CB750K!

Guns guns guns and bullet proof windshields?

The full list of pictures (many non-motorcycle related) can be found here:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/06/irans_disputed_election.html

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Crayvex posted:

Anyone else checking out the bikes used in the Iranian riots?

You missed the best part.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy gently caress, I am so ordering one of these:

http://www.cafepress.com/GeoMercantileCo.392050358

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

You missed the best part.

B-King + Gun = Badass

Although it may make more sense to give the gun to the passenger who's got his nuts on this man's butt.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

B-King + Gun = Badass

Although it may make more sense to give the gun to the passenger who's got his nuts on this man's butt.

The B-King would be deadlier than the gun, since you've got a steerable 600 pound bullet in your right hand vs a small lead one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

eggyolk posted:

The B-King would be deadlier than the gun, since you've got a steerable 600 pound bullet in your right hand vs a small lead one.

Double taps might be hard, hopefully the first hit will take the target out.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Z3n posted:

It's fantastic: If you are ok with never feeling your wrists ever again. My wrists hurt on the front straight of thill with 125mph worth of wind holding up my upper body.

Oh, and the rear cylinder will cook the gently caress out of your leg. Even at track speeds. And the undertail will cook your rear end.

But it's a loving brilliant motorcycle and I would race one or track one in a heartbeat.
I haven't ridden one, but being that I'm on a 1200cc air-cooled twin, I'm no stranger to heat. It was quite spicy last year when my under-seat fan quit last year.. I think my taint had grill lines on it.

The wrist thing though.. I'm used to motocross-style bars and upright riding position of my Buell, so that could be interesting.

Jack the Smack posted:

Did you test ride one at least?
Nope, because...

Spiffness posted:

DO NOT loving TEST RIDE ONE.

I made the same mistake. It almost drove me to financial ruin.
..this is kind of what I'm worried about. I'm so in love with the aesthetics, that it's very conceivable that I would be able to look passed small things "comfort" or "having a non-charred leg/rear end".

Legdiian posted:

I don't work at Seacoast Cycles but they are like 5 min up the road from me. They have a ton of bikes in stock to drool over.

The 848 is definitely going to be my next bike and since I currently ride a 749, I'm guessing I am already used to the "problems" that Z3n is talking about. The 749 is my first bike and I'm guessing the 848 is going to be quite a step up in performance.

Edit - I feel I should disclose how I ended up with a Ducati for my first bike. It was my bosses bike and he put about 800 miles on it before he lost his license for quite a long time. I fell in love with it the first time I saw it and he ended up selling it to me with no money down and he took 50 bucks out of my paycheck every week for about 3 years :)
How long have you been riding? And yeah, I almost don't want to head down there, for the aforementioned reasons about the Duc. Pretty awesome of your boss to finance that bike for you though.

Are you on the New England Street Rider forums (https://www.nestreetriders.com)? There are quite a few folks in the Derry/Manchester/Seacoast area on there. I don't post much at all, nor do I go on any real group rides.. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm a member on there..

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

How long have you been riding? And yeah, I almost don't want to head down there, for the aforementioned reasons about the Duc. Pretty awesome of your boss to finance that bike for you though.

Are you on the New England Street Rider forums (https://www.nestreetriders.com)? There are quite a few folks in the Derry/Manchester/Seacoast area on there. I don't post much at all, nor do I go on any real group rides.. Actually, I'm not sure why I'm a member on there..

I've been riding for almost 4 years now. The first bike I ever rode was a 2003 Yamaha R1 and I just borrowed that for a few hours to see if I wanted to buy it but my buddy ended up selling it to someone else. Then I probably put about 10 hours on a 2002 GSXR-750 which I just loved riding. Then I got the Duc, took the test and actually got my license :hfive: I don't ride a whole lot. Put about 6k on the 749 since I got it.

I'll check out that site, would like to find some people to ride with!

Methusulah
Aug 2, 2007

Son of a Bitch!

what the hell is going on here, and how does this happen??

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
how doesn't it happen.

I'm guessing too much gas/hosed shift = wheelie breaking off the tail, as the bike flipped around the dude his helmet broke off the windscreen. Otherwise known as a somewhat bad day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is he about to get road rash on his lower back? Zipper the jacket to the pants, people.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
My favorite thing about that picture is his left foot. He is going to feel that tomorrow.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

Z3n posted:

Helpful track riding info

I have been dragging knee a fair bit with the current positioning, but I can't do it consistently - something I'd like to get to despite the over-ratedness of knee dragging in the wider scheme of things. I'll keep in mind about leaving the hips perpendicular to the bike. Does that have long-term "go fast" advantages, or is it just a means of getting the knee further out in the short term?

I've been making sure to set up before turning in, and was working on integrating that with braking. Previously I'd been doing all my braking really early, then setting up position, and then turning in. That trackday had one of the instructors getting me to integrate braking with position setup and use the brake force to help slide forward into position before turning in, which seemed to work a lot better than my previous method.

I'd like to think I'm consistent with my entry lines, throttle use, and braking - though I definitely brake a lot earlier than is needed, and tend to find my corner entry speed lower than I expected once I'm into the corner. Need to work on being less of a pussy and just chucking it in a little quicker - baby steps as always though.

I noticed I have a habit of turning tighter once I realise I'm going slower than I could be. I'm thinking that stopping this habit (and flowing all the way out of corners no matter what my speed) might help to reinforce the idea that I can do it quicker next lap, and subsequently get my entry speeds up. The current situation always has me thinking I'm going in as hot as possible, then realising mid corner how much faster I could have gone.

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 17, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Methusulah posted:

probably just wheelied over backwards, no? throttle discipline loll

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Methusulah posted:

I don't wanna ride this bike anymore!! :mad: :( :(

*throws it away*

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Methusulah posted:

Hayabusa getting blown away by the backdraft from the ZX-14. Those things are fast!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Methusulah posted:

HULK SMASH BIKE!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Methusulah posted:

Given the turbo intake filter sticking out of the side of it, I'd imagine that he didn't launch at high enough RPM to really spool up the turbo and when it hit it backflipped.

Flyin, going to address your post bit by bit.

FlyinDoc posted:

I have been dragging knee a fair bit with the current positioning, but I can't do it consistently - something I'd like to get to despite the over-ratedness of knee dragging in the wider scheme of things. I'll keep in mind about leaving the hips perpendicular to the bike. Does that have long-term "go fast" advantages, or is it just a means of getting the knee further out in the short term?

Ok: Knee dragging is overrated in a lot of areas, but it's actually a fairly essential tool on the track. The ability to snap the bike and put it on your knee (and eventually your toe) in a quickturn situation is key to getting through corners that demand fast direction changes.

The reason to keep your hips perpendicular is 2 fold. If you rotate your hips around so that they're parallel with the bike, and then you lean forward, you end up with your head and upper body on the wrong side of the gas cap (towards the outside of the corner). If you slide sideways off the bike with your hips perpendicular, and lean forward, you're moving your weight to the inside of the bike, which is supposed to be the main goal of hanging off.

Getting more consistant with your body positioning will also help you get a knee down more consistantly, which will help you learn to anticipate and refine your inputs until you can dial exactly as much lean as you want.

quote:

I've been making sure to set up before turning in, and was working on integrating that with braking. Previously I'd been doing all my braking really early, then setting up position, and then turning in. That trackday had one of the instructors getting me to integrate braking with position setup and use the brake force to help slide forward into position before turning in, which seemed to work a lot better than my previous method.

That's good, but be aware that at some point you're going to want to keep yourself as far back in the seat as possible to keep the back end on the ground.

quote:

I'd like to think I'm consistent with my entry lines, throttle use, and braking - though I definitely brake a lot earlier than is needed, and tend to find my corner entry speed lower than I expected once I'm into the corner. Need to work on being less of a pussy and just chucking it in a little quicker - baby steps as always though.

Nothing wrong with braking early, just make sure that if you're off the gas, you're braking, not coasting. Braking early will buy off the "in too fast" survival reaction, and will let you focus on setting exactly the corner speed that you want. Brake early and brake less to increase your corner speed, and then move your braking markers up in small increments while you dial in more brakes.

quote:

I noticed I have a habit of turning tighter once I realise I'm going slower than I could be. I'm thinking that stopping this habit (and flowing all the way out of corners no matter what my speed) might help to reinforce the idea that I can do it quicker next lap, and subsequently get my entry speeds up. The current situation always has me thinking I'm going in as hot as possible, then realising mid corner how much faster I could have gone.

Sounds like you're feeling rushed on your corner entries. There are a few ways to buy this off, but the simplest is to just look farther up the track on turn in. I wouldn't recommend using more track than you need, just because not using any more track than you need will help you get some idea of how much earlier you can get on the gas and how much more you can let it run wide under throttle.

Anything unclear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.
Ok, I don't normally do this, but I was featured on the main page of us129photos. If I get the most votes for the week, I get a free 16x24" print... which would be badass since I've never won anything free in my life. I would have won, but it seems another guy is doing the same thing. I'm trailing by about 100 votes. You can vote once per hour, and this goes until the end of the week.

The photo in question:

(Own hosting)

So, I ask you fellow goons with cycles... vote for me!

http://www.us129photos.com 3/4 of the page down you'll see the thumbnail version of above. 5 star please :)

Thanks!!