Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

MourningGlory posted:

Hey Z3n, on the SV is it normal for the base of the bleed screws to weep a bit of brake fluid after being bled? I know I got them closed, but they dripped quite a bit of fluid afterwards, which I cleaned up. After pumping the front brake lever literally about 100 times, there was no sign of any more seepage, but it still freaked me out a bit.

On all bleed screws between the valve and the tip there is 1-2 drops of fluid stored in the open tube section. I bled the brakes on my ZX, and about a month later the rear one still has some wetness to it inside since the bleeder is pointing straight up. Roll some paper towel up and get it bone dry, and if it gets additional fluid you know something is up, otherwise perfectly normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dietcokefiend posted:

On all bleed screws between the valve and the tip there is 1-2 drops of fluid stored in the open tube section. I bled the brakes on my ZX, and about a month later the rear one still has some wetness to it inside since the bleeder is pointing straight up. Roll some paper towel up and get it bone dry, and if it gets additional fluid you know something is up, otherwise perfectly normal.

I'd just add to this that occasionally you'll get brake fluid stuck in some crevice or bizzaro location and it'll show up after your first ride, queuing frantic running around and brake fears.

If you're really paranoid, coat it with some baby power and do some hard stopping drills. It'll show any moisture that comes from it, and heat in the lines from braking from 40-0 over and over will be a very effective stress test.

Make sure everything is completely dry and clean first though. Also, occasionally I've seen issues with the banjos bottoming out before they seal against the crush washers, usually when the crush washers used are particularly narrow. It's rare, but a possibility. It's also usually fairly obvious when that's the problem, but it's worth paying attention to. Forgetting a crush washer can cause it as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Anyone got some 2nd gen stock front signals they want to sell me? The after market ones on the front of the bike just aren't visible enough for my liking.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Coredump posted:

Anyone got some 2nd gen stock front signals they want to sell me? The after market ones on the front of the bike just aren't visible enough for my liking.

Surely you can advertise some sort of swap somewhere, maybe even get a little cash out of it? I know that's what a lot of people do for stuff when they're swapping back to stock.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coredump posted:

I may have a set of turn signals that look like they match the stock gen 2 SV ones if you want them. Send me an e-mail/PM, you can have them for shipping.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
I need some turn signals for a gen one S-model. I'd prefer stockers, but whatever's clever. Also if anyone has a silver right side fairing...

edit: thermald (at) gmail.com

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Zenaida posted:

I need some turn signals for a gen one S-model. I'd prefer stockers, but whatever's clever. Also if anyone has a silver right side fairing...

edit: thermald (at) gmail.com

I got 2 or 3 stock bulky ones (Suzuki SV-1000-S 2005), plus 2 micro arrows. Email sent.

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jun 10, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If you are looking to stiffen the rear and want to do it on a bit of a budget you could pick one of the many shocks you can swap into the bike and buy a heaver spring for that shock from racetech or whomever. Figure $50 for the shock on ebay and $100 for the shock spring - lots cheaper than a penske/ohlins.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

Although if I were you I would go with Motrax LED turn signals. Holy crap are they bright and they use less power.

I like this suggestion, I will investigate earlier. For now Zen I will hold off on the stock ones and see what I can do for led turn signals.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

I got 2 or 3 stock bulky ones (Suzuki SV-1000-S 2005), plus 2 micro arrows. Email sent.

These look pretty good, the only question is whether or not they'll fit in the side fairing on my S. The indent for the turn signals is really deep, and I had to do a bit of fabrication to get the lovely Lockhart-Phillips ones I had on there to mount up.

Edit: sweet, This page has dimensions...

Zenaida fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 10, 2009

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Z3n posted:

I may have a set of turn signals that look like they match the stock gen 2 SV ones if you want them. Send me an e-mail/PM, you can have them for shipping.
poo poo and I just paid $50 for a single.

Anyone have suggestions on a brighter brake light? After following my own bike for ~40 miles around the Baltimore beltway, I decided that the contrast from normal to brake applied is not a big enough difference for my liking. Maybe I should invest in a strobe setup (or get religious about strobing it).

In other news, I passed my MSF and the bike passed inspection (after installation of the aforementioned turn signal with Dwight Eisenhower's help). I'm working a half-day on Friday to get all my DMV poo poo done... get my class M, title/register the bike. All the rest of my gear showed up today. I have a matching yellow mesh jacket, black mesh pants, matte black helmet (matches the frame nicely), black gloves, and black boots.

I'll officially be a biker on Saturday.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mike fictitious posted:

poo poo and I just paid $50 for a single.

Anyone have suggestions on a brighter brake light? After following my own bike for ~40 miles around the Baltimore beltway, I decided that the contrast from normal to brake applied is not a big enough difference for my liking. Maybe I should invest in a strobe setup (or get religious about strobing it).

In other news, I passed my MSF and the bike passed inspection (after installation of the aforementioned turn signal with Dwight Eisenhower's help). I'm working a half-day on Friday to get all my DMV poo poo done... get my class M, title/register the bike. All the rest of my gear showed up today. I have a matching yellow mesh jacket, black mesh pants, matte black helmet (matches the frame nicely), black gloves, and black boots.

I'll officially be a biker on Saturday.

Is one of your brake lights burned out? Usually the transition is pretty drat clear.

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Z3n posted:

Is one of your brake lights burned out? Usually the transition is pretty drat clear.

All the lights function. I might just be paranoid, but it seems like the normal position is so bright that the transition to "braking" isn't much brighter.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
What year's your SV? The 03s up have LED rears, which are a hell of a lot brighter when you're not braking compared to normal bulbs, which makes it harder to spot the transition when they do brighten.

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

ranathari posted:

What year's your SV? The 03s up have LED rears, which are a hell of a lot brighter when you're not braking compared to normal bulbs, which makes it harder to spot the transition when they do brighten.

2005, naked. Pictured a page or 2 ago (though I have pulled off that hideous cruiser windscreen).

Yes, you are describing what I'm talking about.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
Since the 2nd gen tails are already LED, I doubt that there is an easy way to brighten them (unless you're willing to open the unit up and replace individual LEDs). Have you considered adding Hyperlites to the rear of the bike? They look a bit dorky, but they do what they're supposed to. My dad has them on the back of his bike and there is no way you can miss them.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Well I cheaped out and just installed some emulators in my SV a bit ago with the help of a floor jack. Going to go out for a quick ride with them to see how they perform. (yes I have new oil, was just too lazy to put it in right now)

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Well I cheaped out and just installed some emulators in my SV a bit ago with the help of a floor jack. Going to go out for a quick ride with them to see how they perform. (yes I have new oil, was just too lazy to put it in right now)

Holy poo poo. Ride is super plush now, much less impact over every little bump in the road. Much less tiring to my arms and wrists. I could care less if it improved handling, it just made long rides feel so much better.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

I just installed a set of these and...they are not holy crap bright. :( It doesn't look like all the leds are firing and they are just okay bright. At this point I think I still want to find some stockers.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Coredump posted:

I just installed a set of these and...they are not holy crap bright. :( It doesn't look like all the leds are firing and they are just okay bright. At this point I think I still want to find some stockers.

I feel like I read a review somewhere where someone was saying the same thing about all the leds not being on. They said they called the manufacturer who said to test them with the bike running, which apparently made a difference.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

They will not ALL turn on if your battery is low/dying.

Also they are not bright in general.

If you want something brighter than stock or as bright as:

http://www.rizoma.com/Prodotti/ProdottiUniversal.cfm?ID_categoria=9&IDSez=1

The Rizomas are amazing, bright and pretty. They are the only LED light that I've seen that's bright enough to be seen in daylight. But they are around 3 times more than other lights - that price there in Euros. That's EACH not pair.

Inertiatic
Apr 9, 2004
Does anyone happen to know where I could purchase a second gen prepainted OEM upper fairing for a SV650S online? Or even the price of one direct from Suzuki? There are lower fairings all over the place but I can't seem to track down even one shop that sells an OEM upper.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
What sort of tire pressures are people using on second gens? I got the Michelin Pilot Powers installed and mostly scrubbed in, but I'm not really sure about what the ideal tire pressure for the street is. So for now I'm running stock pressure (33f/36r). Any suggestions?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Zenaida posted:

I feel like I read a review somewhere where someone was saying the same thing about all the leds not being on. They said they called the manufacturer who said to test them with the bike running, which apparently made a difference.

I did turn the bike on to see if it would make a difference and unfortunately it did not. I think I'm going to pick up some Buell turn signals. They look nice and apparently :10bux: a piece.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Inertiatic posted:

Does anyone happen to know where I could purchase a second gen prepainted OEM upper fairing for a SV650S online? Or even the price of one direct from Suzuki? There are lower fairings all over the place but I can't seem to track down even one shop that sells an OEM upper.

Bikebandit, ronayers, etc. Be prepared to pay a fair bit for it.

MourningGlory posted:

What sort of tire pressures are people using on second gens? I got the Michelin Pilot Powers installed and mostly scrubbed in, but I'm not really sure about what the ideal tire pressure for the street is. So for now I'm running stock pressure (33f/36r). Any suggestions?

Those pressures are fine for street use. I usually run 34/36 or even 36/38 if I'm slabbing it.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

MourningGlory posted:

Use what the tyre manufacturer suggest for the tyre unless you have a better reason. I'm running 38f/42r with Bridgestone BT-021s.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

ranathari posted:

Use what the tyre manufacturer suggest for the tyre unless you have a better reason. I'm running 38f/42r with Bridgestone BT-021s.

I actually called Michelin and they told me to use whatever Suzuki specified, which is what I'm doing, but I've heard of people running much higher pressures (like you) thus my confusion.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ranathari posted:

The tyre maker isn't going to specify any pressure but a max because different bikes, with different weights and engines are going to stress the tires in different ways and require different pressures as a result. Big, heavy bikes with a lot of power tend to be put up in the 36/42 range, smaller, lighter bikes tend to be set lower. A tire needs heat in it to properly stick to the road, and running an SV at 42 PSI rear, while you'll get great wear, will never really get up to temp and stick properly.

You'll also have a much harsher ride as the tires don't deflect as much as you hit bumps.

I ran 34/36 on my SV to try and prevent the front tire from flatspotting. If I was commuting or slabbing it for awhile, I'd bump them up to 36/40. Some tires like higher pressures (Pirellis, with their soft sidewalls, tend to respond well to higher pressures), some respond better to lower pressures.

Basically, tire pressures are just like anything else on a bike: based around compromise. Running lower pressures will cause the tires to deflect more and you'll get more heat in the carcass, improving grip and reducing life, and increasing them will increase life and reduce grip. It's also worth noting that unless you're really hauling the mail on the street, you're never going to come anywhere close to needing the grip that your tires can potentially give. You can run sport touring tires at the top of the C group at a trackday and while they'll probably start to cook towards the end of a session, you can go stupid fast on them.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
If you phone them then they can suggest appropriate pressures for a bike if they've tested it. My garage phoned their suppliers who said Bridgestone recommend 38f/42r for SVs and I've found it works well: you get great longevity out of the rear but still get good grip in the corners, which is the whole point of a sports touring tyre. Sure, for a track day I'd let the pressures down to maximise grip but 38/42 works really well for my riding style on the road although you're quite right about the ride quality. I'm planning to replace the rear shock with one from the ZX6R at some point plus heavier oil and stiffer springs in the forks.

BT-021s actually suit the SV really well although I'm debating trying Avon Storms when I have to replace the rear; it's supposed to have excellent grip in the wet.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Coredump posted:

Well FrozenPhil didn't get this bike... Cuz I now have it. Its loving nice.

Yeah, the wife and I were talking it over, I go to call the dude and I find the listing pulled off of craigslist. Thanks for sharking me, buddy.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

frozenphil posted:

Yeah, the wife and I were talking it over, I go to call the dude and I find the listing pulled off of craigslist. Thanks for sharking me, buddy.

I told you to get it. It was on craigslist for a good couple of weeks. If you're ever in town though I'll let you ride it.

UncleSkunk
May 8, 2007
Erotic Cakes
In the process of looking for my first bike, I checked out an '03 SV650 naked today with 11k miles. Owner wants $3500, which is right under the KBB value. The bike itself is absolutely immaculate looking, and has a few mods like frame sliders, fender eliminator, and a yoshi slip on. Sound like a good deal to you guys?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

UncleSkunk posted:

In the process of looking for my first bike, I checked out an '03 SV650 naked today with 11k miles. Owner wants $3500, which is right under the KBB value. The bike itself is absolutely immaculate looking, and has a few mods like frame sliders, fender eliminator, and a yoshi slip on. Sound like a good deal to you guys?

Seems reasonable if everything is in good shape.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

UncleSkunk posted:

To give you another used market find, I got naked 07 sv650 with ABS, HID projector lighting, 3/4 Jardine exhaust system and about 11k for 4,200.

If you havent already, watch the for sale section on svrider.com for a few weeks. out of the blue I checked on it and found my baby, you can too!

P.S. Just swapped back to my stock exhaust system, someone buy this Jardine thing. I hate low toned thumping exhausts. I prefer the stock stealthy style :)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

dietcokefiend posted:

To give you another used market find, I got naked 07 sv650 with ABS, HID projector lighting, 3/4 Jardine exhaust system and about 11k for 4,200.

If you havent already, watch the for sale section on svrider.com for a few weeks. out of the blue I checked on it and found my baby, you can too!

P.S. Just swapped back to my stock exhaust system, someone buy this Jardine thing. I hate low toned thumping exhausts. I prefer the stock stealthy style :)

You have lost your mind.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

Thats just sad, you could have got a dBkiller for the jardine. Stock SV's sound like poo poo.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

echomadman posted:

Thats just sad, you could have got a dBkiller for the jardine. Stock SV's sound like poo poo.

n8r posted:

You have lost your mind.

:colbert: At least I can keep my sanity

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice
Do you notice any power difference between the Jardine and the stock system?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

MourningGlory posted:

Do you notice any power difference between the Jardine and the stock system?

Only started it since I swapped it over to check for exhaust leaks, no ride yet. Z3n and I were talking about a possible lean issue I was running into. Hoping to see if anything changes on my next ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Well, it's been an eventful week.

Brought the bike home last weekend from Eisenhower's garage. I must have left it in Park instead of Lock, because the battery was dead when I went back out on Tuesday.

Tried in vain to push-start it. Nearly had a heart attack trying to push it back up the alley three times. Breaking down and getting jumper cables (which I needed anyways) today.

It's also been raining all week, and I'm waiting for my cover to arrive from New Enough. I picked the wrong week to bring it home, I guess.

In other news, I have another random question:
Is there a reason people use bungie cords instead of ratchet straps for securing cargo to the rear seat? It seems to me like lifting the seat, looping ratchet straps under it, hooking the ends together, and strapping down as tight as possible would be way more secure than bungies.

• Locked thread