Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Skeeter Green posted:

I just got this in, and picked up a used amp today:

It's a Blue Star Mandoblaster, a 5 string solid body electric mandolin. I'm in love with it, as is everyone else who's seen it. Sounds amazing. I'll take some of my own pictures later.
Woah, that thing's crazy. I dig it! String-thru with a tele pickup (apparently) should sound pretty sweet, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

gigButt posted:

Could I reccomend this as a $500 alternative?

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-Groove-310C-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=480765

Yes, it weighs a gently caress ton and is not pretty, but it seems to be a drat good deal!

I just bought this...I'll post pics when it gets here in July.

My bassist has this thing, and its pretty drat awesome. Louder than you'll ever need, great tone, and it has a pretty blue light :3 A cool solo switch that boosts volume for when you need a bass groove to get through. Musician's Friend took FOREVER to ship it, though. Oh, and it is heavy as gently caress and the wheels they put on it are a joke. Still a great buy.

Rogue
May 11, 2002

After getting late-night urges to rock out (with my PRS SE Custom 22 which was a gift and my next-most recent piece of gear), I finally invested in a nice pair of headphones to go with my monitors - Sennheiser HD-595s. They sound so nice and are so very comfortable. Kickass.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

I probably have 1000 hours in those suckers, and they are still going strong. Good purchase.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, I just dusted off my HD650s and took them over to the in-laws' for the last two weeks. No speakers there so it's been headphones all the way. Still just as enjoyable of a listening experience as the first time I put them on, only they're even more comfortable now. Sennheiser makes great cans, you won't be disappointed with those over the long haul.

It's funny knowing that I'll miss some sound quality when I go back to my $1500 monitoring setup. Headphones are awesome.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
Ordered:
Tapco(mackie) 4x6 firewire interface
Audio Technica AT2020
mic stand
misc picks and strings
Tung Sol 6550 quartet
5x JJ 12ax7s

Bidding on:
Ibanez RG7321 neck
Ibanez RG7321 Bridge

Waiting on quote for:
Custom mahogany RG 7 string body from sims custom shop

this has been an expensive week.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.
Hell yeah Sennheiser buddy! I've had a pair of HD555's for...going on 4 years now I think, and they are still only getting better with age. They have been across the country with me about 10 times and are still going strong.

Point is, congrats. :D

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I used to have some HD570's. I loved the poo poo out of those things. I also abused the poo poo out of them as well. I had them for five years until I blew a driver. :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Despite moving soon and not knowing how much money I'm going to need (security deposit) I broke down and bought:

with

Hopefully Live-8's looper and the APC will be what we think it will...

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

Carbohydrates posted:

Woah, that thing's crazy. I dig it! String-thru with a tele pickup (apparently) should sound pretty sweet, too.

It sounds awesome. I've only played acoustic mandolin so far so this is pretty new to me, and I'm having fun toying with the gain and reverb on my amp. I can't wait to get a few pedals, I'll probably try out some chorus, wah and delay tomorrow.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Skeeter Green posted:

It sounds awesome. I've only played acoustic mandolin so far so this is pretty new to me, and I'm having fun toying with the gain and reverb on my amp. I can't wait to get a few pedals, I'll probably try out some chorus, wah and delay tomorrow.
As an electric mandolinist with a bunch of effects, you're pretty much obligated to play some Nick Cave now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZQYWGrT8E

Midget Gems
Dec 31, 2007
I hear they have the internet on computers these days
Just bought one of these:

I was expecting it to be quite a lot worse than it actually is, especially in the overdrive department. It sounds a lot like my Daddy O pedal (perhaps not too surprising?), which I really like. Obviously, it's not got an amazing tone to it, but it packs more punch than I was expecting and I'm pretty pleased with it :)

Skeeter Green
Aug 15, 2001

24 strings

Carbohydrates posted:

As an electric mandolinist with a bunch of effects, you're pretty much obligated to play some Nick Cave now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZQYWGrT8E

Nice, what's he using there? Chorus and delay?

Placeholder
Sep 24, 2008
Got a mail this morning sayin this thing's been posted to me:

Right now I can't play the flute at all so I have a couple of intresting weeks ahead of me trying to figure it out :)

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Minto Took posted:

I used to have some HD570's. I loved the poo poo out of those things. I also abused the poo poo out of them as well. I had them for five years until I blew a driver. :(

Ouch, that's a shame :( How did you manage to do that?

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Skeeter Green posted:

Hey have you ever messed around with a guitar tuned an octave up?(no idea what they are called).

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Glad I can finally post something I got in here!

Just pulled the trigger on an Echo AudioFire 4.

Mmmmmmmmmm.....

I managed to get a sweet deal on it on eBay, and got the 8% Live cashback, which isn't much but ended up being like $20, so I won't scoff at it. Can't wait to test it out and get to recording some stuff I've been meaning to record for a long-rear end time!

On a related note, does anyone have a recommendation on a Firewire card for my Thinkpad T60? I don't have any Firewire ports on it, and clearly need one. I know I'm looking for something with a TI chipset, but if anyone has had a positive experience with one in particular I'd appreciate some input.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

penneydude posted:

Glad I can finally post something I got in here!

Just pulled the trigger on an Echo AudioFire 4.

Mmmmmmmmmm.....

I managed to get a sweet deal on it on eBay, and got the 8% Live cashback, which isn't much but ended up being like $20, so I won't scoff at it. Can't wait to test it out and get to recording some stuff I've been meaning to record for a long-rear end time!

On a related note, does anyone have a recommendation on a Firewire card for my Thinkpad T60? I don't have any Firewire ports on it, and clearly need one. I know I'm looking for something with a TI chipset, but if anyone has had a positive experience with one in particular I'd appreciate some input.

Nice I plan on getting that when I get some money.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

Demolisher posted:

Nice I plan on getting that when I get some money.

I'll post here when I get it and let you know what I think.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
My HRDV 410 and Big Muff Pi got here today, but my pedal power thing from visual sound wouldn't fit into the Big Muff :(. Also my last A4 string broke, so I had to order 5 more, thus, this post.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Gorilla Salsa posted:

My HRDV 410 and Big Muff Pi got here today, but my pedal power thing from visual sound wouldn't fit into the Big Muff :(. Also my last A4 string broke, so I had to order 5 more, thus, this post.

1-Spot makes a converter for that fyi

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hubis posted:

1-Spot makes a converter for that fyi

I noticed 9v batteries were 2 for $7 (wtf) and broke down and bought a $35 1-Spot with the 8-doodad chain thing, I'm very pleased with it. It works with all my pedals with zero hum.

Also picked this up the other day:

Delay to go with it's brother the Chorus. For being Guitar Center bargain bin pedals they don't disappoint, at least for a beginner. Also if you're curious, yes my pedal board is currently made of cardboard.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

It's coming today. I'm considering faking sick to go home early and play it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me
My latest ebay find and first restoration project:

Click here for the full 600x1223 image.

An '83 MIJ Squier Bullet. Odd little mongrel guitars, these. The body is a small, oddly proportioned Strat without the waist and arm contours. The pickups are Fender humbuckers with a 3-way selector, volume & tone pot, two push-button coil splits and the jack fixed into the scratch-plate rather than the body. The neck is a wonderful thin profile maple Tele neck and the bridge a top-loading hard-tail.

After a thorough cleaning and detailing, it's shaping up to be a beauty.

There's heap of work to go, however. The frets are awful and in desperate need of re-crowning, the tuners and bridge saddles are crap, electronics need shielding and, worse still, the finish has got crap like "crosstown traffic" and "samantha the one i love" gouged into it with biro.

Anyhow, more pics up at my flickr set.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
God I can't loving decide...

Ampeg SVT 2-Pro or...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
The amp that bass is horrible looking.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stux posted:

The amp that bass is horrible looking.

You're horrible looking.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

You're horrible looking.

yo get the amp

get the ampppppppppppppp

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Scarf posted:

You're horrible looking.

That bass is the kinda bass I'd take round the back and put out of its misery.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Stux posted:

That bass is the kinda bass I'd take round the back and put out of its misery.

The only misery that comes from you and a bass is your playing. BOOYA.

Demolisher posted:

yo get the amp

get the ampppppppppppppp

I probably will just for the fact that it'd most likely be the last amp I'd ever need to buy (barring any catastrophes... simply from an upgrading standpoint).

And for the Lakland hollow, I'd really really like to save up for a US and get it in Gretsch Orange, but that's a cool $4k that I won't have for a looooong time.

(rendered)

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

gently caress all this poo poo, have you played any eden amps? I thought the ampegs where broken when I played those sleeping golden tone angels.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demolisher posted:

gently caress all this poo poo, have you played any eden amps? I thought the ampegs where broken when I played those sleeping golden tone angels.

Yeah, just not a huge fan of the Eden tone. At least not as much as Ampeg tone. Eden would probably be my 3rd choice in amp brand behind Ampeg and Aguilar.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

Yeah, just not a huge fan of the Eden tone. At least not as much as Ampeg tone. Eden would probably be my 3rd choice in amp brand behind Ampeg and Aguilar.

Well yeah you're into the vintage tone so it makes sense. I was just impressed with the low end response.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Eden sucks. :smug:

Personally, I'd go Aguilar and Mesa over an Ampeg, but if you like that Ampeg tone then you gotta go with Ampeg.

The Lakland hollowbody is dope as hell, though, especially with flats. I played one at a Talkbass get-together last year and could not put it down, even though I lean heavily towards more modern bass tone.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

warwick5s posted:

Eden sucks. :smug:

Personally, I'd go Aguilar and Mesa over an Ampeg, but if you like that Ampeg tone then you gotta go with Ampeg.

The Lakland hollowbody is dope as hell, though, especially with flats. I played one at a Talkbass get-together last year and could not put it down, even though I lean heavily towards more modern bass tone.

I'm def. not above putting an Aggy or Mesa through the paces... it's just so drat hard because no one around here carries them.

Also, word on the street is that Loud has moved the Ampeg factory out of Vietnam and into Korea. Not that it really makes any difference...

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Scarf posted:

The only misery that comes from you and a bass is your playing. BOOYA.

The only bass playing worth doing is double handed tapping on a 6 string :smug:

(G&K amps)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Scarf posted:

God I can't loving decide...

Ampeg SVT 2-Pro or...

That bass is ugly, even for a Lakland. Maybe if the two halves of the top matched it would look better, but having one side dark and the other light doesn't look right.

My vote is for the amp.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DrChu posted:

That bass is ugly, even for a Lakland. Maybe if the two halves of the top matched it would look better, but having one side dark and the other light doesn't look right.

My vote is for the amp.

I'm fairly certain thats a result of photographing a glossy, arched surface. I've seen the same happen with Les Paul photographs.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

I'm fairly certain thats a result of photographing a glossy, arched surface. I've seen the same happen with Les Paul photographs.

What wood is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demolisher posted:

What wood is that?

Maple top, mahogany back and sides.