Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

1 Earthworm Jim (head and gun)
1 DCUC male body with open hands (I used Camo Aquaman)
A whole lotta custom sculpting (straps, backpack, neck, gloves, feet)

I'm thinking I might do a DCUC Freakazoid next.

Excellent job there. Someone on the Fwoosh awhile ago did one almost exactly like it.

I need to do some custom work soon. Only problem is the fodder I need is expensive :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Fish Of Doom posted:

That's pretty awesome, even though I hated that comic. It only needs Bat-mite to make it complete. What's the cape from, Hobgoblin?

Ha, yeah, Batmite was a little too ambitious for me at the time. It's just a DCD Green Lantern Batman head on a DCD Superman/Batman: Enemies Among Us Batman body. I just sloppily threw on some clay to make it look a little raggedy near the top.

Good call on the DCUC Aquaman body for the Jim, it looks great. I've got this one guy who's dead set on having me go through all his favorite Marvel characters and remake them with DCUC bodies. I've made 6 so far, I think, and 5 of them were Camo Aquaman's body.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
That earthworm Jim is killer! Same with that batman, though I do believe he needs to be much dirtier.

I haven't really made a character from other figures in a long time, but I do find great relaxation while beating up new figures.

Here's the parademon from a few weeks back.

more of him at the usual blog http://fuel-boy.blogspot.com/

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Has anyone come across the Ghostbusters minimates at their local TRU yet?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Speaking of customs, I recently got a progress report on a custom figure I commissioned.

I picked up the NECA Succubus figure a while back, and the moment I saw it, I said "That would make a great Bloodrayne" figure.

Click here for the full 497x778 image.

This is the original Succubus figure:

Click here for the full 495x888 image.

This is the custom so far:

Click here for the full 1210x1610 image.

The guy working on it still needs to mess with the hair a bit, touch some stuff up, and make the arm-blades and whatnot. Otherwise I'm pretty pleased with the work so far.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Mapocho posted:

I love that all of your mods are basically making "battle damage" varients. Not sarcastic at all.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Mapocho posted:

I admit that at first I didn't quite "get" the battle damage customization. After looking at it a few times from scrolling down the page I appreciate it more. The picture taken from further away that captures the whole action figure doesn't do the toy justice. It looks as if you just drew on it with marker or burned it with a lighter. The up-close picture shows the effort you put in. It looks exactly like I imagine a battle damaged super hero/villain would.

On that note, what did you do to give it that authentic "I just had the poo poo kicked out of me" look?

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

Whorehey posted:

It looks as if you just drew on it with marker or burned it with a lighter.

You're not wrong with that comment, I first cut him up with an x-acto knife, cipping away at edges and bits that stick out, dremel some holes and scratch to reveal the underlying paint on some areas then I use these watercolour brush tip markers, I only use the black and brown at first, rub it off with a q-tip or rag then go at it again with the x-acto knife to layer in wear and tear from old battles.
I also use blue, red and orange to break it up a little and ad slight colour variety to some of the wear of the figure, but it doesn't come across too much with the yellow lighting I had on the shot.

In between all that I use these silver and gold gundam model markers for where the metal is exposed or where it rubs against the armor and this rust coloured makeup powder that also goes into the crevices with the rubbing and well...makes it more dirty. Then the lighter comes out to burn areas here and there and I repeat the whole process until I'm done.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
Just found some dc infinite hero 3 packs for sale for 5 bucks a pack at ross for less. I thought it was a pretty good deal for 3 figures less than 1 of them normally costs. I wasn't interested in the 3 inch line initially and haven't opened these yet, but they do look pretty cool. Probably could do some cool army builders if some of those bigger sets price out like this.

Ogmios
Dec 2, 2004

Angry pumpkin, Japanese demon, dragon of avarice...
Awesome, which 3 packs did they have?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Word.

Click here for the full 377x630 image.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 10, 2009

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

Word.

Wow, those look fantastic. That Power Girl head would make a mighty fine classic Sue Richards head.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Ogmios posted:

Awesome, which 3 packs did they have?

Lex luthor w/ 2 lexcorp troopers; green lantern, black canary, and green arrow; and starfire capt. boomberang, and raven.

Starfires face is the only one that really looks kind of funky to me.

Edit: If someone finds those hawkman 3 packs I'd like to pick up a few of those.

Bushifox fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jun 11, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

Word.

Click here for the full 377x630 image.

It looks like the suit front is a separate piece they just glued over the torso. Check out the right lapel of the suit (not the coat), and how there's a small notch, suggesting the lapel doesn't extend all the way up.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It looks like the suit front is a separate piece they just glued over the torso. Check out the right lapel of the suit (not the coat), and how there's a small notch, suggesting the lapel doesn't extend all the way up.

I bet it's so they can use it for other figures down the line that don't wear a vest under their trench coat (Commissioner Gordan?)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

I bet it's so they can use it for other figures down the line that don't wear a vest under their trench coat (Commissioner Gordan?)

Almost certainly, and I'm hoping and praying it leads to an amazing Golden Age Sandman (one of my favorite characters based on the Sandman Mystery Theatre series).

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Anyone going to SDCC wanna pick one of these up for me?

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
Originally the SDCC exclusive was gonna be the second wolverine (Logan with cowboy hat) with premium retractable claws, that and Spiderman with a removable cloth mask. This looks like some new wolverine design, and I dig it. It's been too long since I had a mugg I reeeeally wanted. I miss the muggsplosion.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That is a pretty sweet Mugg.

Also I ordered Hordak today off Matty ... sold out in an hour.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Satsuki posted:

Hearing things like this make me glad I didn't get back into those things because I know I'd miss one and it would drive me nuts

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Looks like they are going to reissue them all eventually He-Man and Hordak will be re-released in October.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Satsuki posted:

crap. forgot all about that. I really want that one.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Is this the wolvie with retractables? I missed out on Cowboy hat one for this one...I'll be getting at least one.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
Finished my first custom paint, thanks for the tips guys.

Click here for the full 553x740 image.

I used paint brush bristles for the 'hair' on the axe blade, made the spine out of a cut up q-tip and used cotton mixed with paint to make the flesh.

The picture quality is super lovely, I might try to get a better version tomorrow during the day.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

LtCrowley posted:

Gore

That's pretty sweet, and frighteningly creative.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I was clickin around ebay, this is a shot of that special mail-away Nick Fury figure from the current line

In the upper right, is that the gun from Secret Invasion? I might have to get this thing if it is.

Edit: much better picture

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Satch fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 16, 2009

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

awesome

That's great, can't wait to see the detail pics of the bloody axe!

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Satch posted:

I was clickin around ebay, this is a shot of that special mail-away Nick Fury figure from the current line

In the upper right, is that the gun from Secret Invasion? I might have to get this thing if it is.

Edit: much better picture

It is, that's pretty cool. If they kept making 4" figures like that I'd be tempted to get some, but as far as I know they haven't come down in price yet.

Does anyone have a list of everything that's going to be SDCC exclusive?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Fingers McLongDong posted:

It is, that's pretty cool. If they kept making 4" figures like that I'd be tempted to get some, but as far as I know they haven't come down in price yet.

Does anyone have a list of everything that's going to be SDCC exclusive?

Hasbro: I know for Marvel, there's a WW2 era Invaders 4 pack with Captain America/Red Skull/Human Torch/Namor in speedo. Also a black and white Captain America. And the Wolverine mugg. There's also some GI Joe 2 pack with Destro or something. I know jack all about GI Joe. There's also a 12" Baroness figure. For Star Wars, they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel with their pilot Luke Skywalker with smiling face and yellow ladder! For Transformers, there's a 25th Anniversary Soundwave classic styled figure.

Mattel: DC has the Wonder Twins and Gleek, as well as a Green lantern 3 pack for JLU, and of course their Anti-Monitor give away.

Mezco has a Golden Army Soldier that's in scale with their 4" Hellboy line. Also an 18" Abe Sapien.

Neca has an army jacket Guile from Street Fighter. Neca's also releasing an April O Neil w/ mousers figure from their TMNT line.

Shocker Toys may or may not have a Dick Tracy in trench coat figure.

That's all I know of. I know at least with Mattel and Mezco, they'll sell them online after the show as well. Gleek is only available at SDCC though. Hasbro will probably put their stuff up online as well, if the past years are any indication.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 17, 2009

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Fish Of Doom posted:

Neca has an army jacket Guile from Street Fighter. Neca's also releasing an April O Neil w/ mousers figure from their TMNT line.

http://www.poeghostal.com/2009/05/neca-reveals-sdcc-exclusives.html

Here's some pictures along with a couple more exclusives, I forgot about NECA completely. NECA figures typically look really good too, too bad they don't get more attention or lines that might sell more. Every time I go to TRU there's just pegs and pegs of their stuff like Gears figures. Might need to get someone to pick up that Guile for me.

edit: son of a bitch I just tried to look up that Invaders set since I got all excited about it and it turns out it's a part of the 4" line. Has Hasbro officially abandoned the 6" line completely then?

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 17, 2009

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Has Hasbro officially abandoned the 6" line completely then?

They keep saying to check in at SDCC and they'll let us know the fate of the 6 inchers

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Yeah, you'd think if there was a fate to be announced other than "haitus" they'd have an exclusive like they always have. Have the MU figures really been selling that well to warrant possibly abandoning ML figures? The last ML wave still hasn't hit America yet.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I think the decision to tone back on the 6" figures was made before they even hit the shelves.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Yeah, you'd think if there was a fate to be announced other than "haitus" they'd have an exclusive like they always have. Have the MU figures really been selling that well to warrant possibly abandoning ML figures? The last ML wave still hasn't hit America yet.

According to the only semi-big comic store near me that carries the Marvel Universe line, they can't keep them on the pegs. And this place puts a 10-20% mark-up on everything but comics so we're talking 11.99 for a 4" figure and people are still buying the poo poo out of it.

Apart from the fact that they're GI Joe scale and so you can do some amusing poo poo with that, I don't see what the appeal is really. I ran into a guy at TRU today buying 10 of them at once. I don't get it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
^^^I don't get it either. I wonder if they're just selling because there's no other new Marvel figures of any other type being produced. Honestly, despite first impressions, some of them really aren't that bad, I just don't get people paying the same price they paid for ML figures.

z0rschach posted:

I think the decision to tone back on the 6" figures was made before they even hit the shelves.

Yeah, I just thought I remembered reading them saying some ambiguous stuff about how maybe they'll keep them, maybe they won't. I'm basically just wanting them to give a straight answer.

I think it just comes down to the fact that I'm annoyed that my entire collection of dozens and dozens of Marvel figures is in a 6" line and I'd feel dumb starting over with slightly overpriced 4" figures.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've never liked that scale it only really works if you have a line that needs vehicles or other army-type things.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

^^^I don't get it either. I wonder if they're just selling because there's no other new Marvel figures of any other type being produced. Honestly, despite first impressions, some of them really aren't that bad, I just don't get people paying the same price they paid for ML figures.

I think it just comes down to the fact that I'm annoyed that my entire collection of dozens and dozens of Marvel figures is in a 6" line and I'd feel dumb starting over with slightly overpriced 4" figures.

They're moderately appealing in that they've got a pretty decent variety of marvel characters out already, especially if you count the Wolverine Origins figures as part of the line(Even though they've got about 96 different varieties of Wolverine already, and four iron men), and the chase figures aren't all that difficult to find. The price is still retarded though, like you said you're basically paying about the same for a 6" figure, while Hasbro's other 4" line(GI Joe) is a better value for a single figure because they aren't as expensive, have more pose-ability, and come with a bunch of accessories.

I mean, I've said it before, but re-introducing the BAF concept in this size line would be cool and in my mind justify the price they're charging.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You haven't been paying $7.99 for 6" figures for the last three years. While I agree the price is still high, to a lot of people the price "feels" better because you aren't spending $10 - $12 for a single action figure. Which is why they are doing well other reason being people like being able to build a large universe in a short amount of time, which is why DCU and MU has been such a hit with the rapid fire releases. Keep people hooked and busy looking for new waves and they won't sit back and think out the purchases or forget completely.

The 6" line had pretty much run its course though, it was direly in need of a break or end. Legends at that scale had gone on a good 8 years, which is very rare for a toy line that isn't Star Wars. So its really not surprising it eventually went to Hasbro, then went to a new scale.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande
Detail shots:

Click here for the full 450x907 image.

Click here for the full 450x1325 image.

I think it went ok, the blood looks a little too stylised in places but I guess that's just what happens when you're working in a small scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Satsuki posted:

You haven't been paying $7.99 for 6" figures for the last three years. While I agree the price is still high, to a lot of people the price "feels" better because you aren't spending $10 - $12 for a single action figure. Which is why they are doing well other reason being people like being able to build a large universe in a short amount of time, which is why DCU and MU has been such a hit with the rapid fire releases. Keep people hooked and busy looking for new waves and they won't sit back and think out the purchases or forget completely.

The 6" line had pretty much run its course though, it was direly in need of a break or end. Legends at that scale had gone on a good 8 years, which is very rare for a toy line that isn't Star Wars. So its really not surprising it eventually went to Hasbro, then went to a new scale.

Yeah, but then again MU figures don't come with BAF parts, and a lot of BAF parts go for a couple bucks on their own. So it's basically $2 less for a smaller figure with less accessories and less incentive to complete a set. You also have to consider what LightsGameraAction said, a lot of LCBS will hike up the prices to be $10 or over for them. I can understand the marketing aspect of it, about keeping new stuff out, its just funny to me that people might complain about a new ML Iron man figure coming out, but will still buy new MU IM figures.

I am more than willing to admit that I'm a bitter collector who's just being grouchy about his line he's been collecting dying though :)