Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Macrame_God posted:

Soooooooo...When are they getting Blood? :v:

Also, wow, I didn't know they had Shadow Warrior. I may have to pick that up in the future.
Seconding the request for Blood.

"I live. Again!". God I love that game (and Army of Darkness).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Macrame_God posted:

Also, wow, I didn't know they had Shadow Warrior. I may have to pick that up in the future.

They...don't? :confused: It's still only on the 3D Realms online store for the time being. WITHOUT the drat CD Audio, I might add. Ugh!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Under a Killing Moon is a great game so far, played for 1.5 hour. Had some problems getting it to install under Vista, but it's been working great after that. Well worth my $10.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It looks like GOG's running another free game thing today.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

quote:

Tex Murphy has uncovered a partial code for a free game at GOG.com. It's ***-SELA4 ... the first three letters may be found somewhere at GOG

Anyone found the other three letters?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, it's in the forum. I have no clue where to enter it, though.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
drat, looks like it's first come, first serve. Code already used up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Ah, it's a coupon code. I better figure out what game I want, then.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Where is area where you put in a coupon code on GOG? I don't want to proceed to payment to find it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Not telling you! More codes for me!

(It's on the quickorder page, there's a "Redeem promo code" at the right, it's the same page where you usually enter your CC info)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I just noticed the Oddworld games were on GOG. I know what I'm getting if I get there first.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

haha they posted a free game code on Facebook and I nabbed it. Sweet, Rainbow Six for me:)

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits
Are the Tex Murphy games victims of really obscure puzzle solutions like a lot of older adventure games or are they pretty logical? The settings sound like they're right up my alley, but I've never played any of them before.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
Wearing a Monocle Since 1987
I actually inherited two copies of Under a Killing Moon, but both copies are missing a CD, and apparently they must be different editions or something because I can't just replace the missing disc from another copy :(

So thanks to GOG I both Under a Killing Moon and the Tex Murphy 1+2 compilation. Right now I'm playing through Mean Streets, and you know what? Even though the graphics are very much dated, I found myself spending the entire evening playing it. The story is excellent and I haven't had any moments where I was stuck on some illogical puzzle.

Infact it seems the whole game relies more on what information you can gather from particular characters and such, rather than straightforward puzzles. I actually started using PersonalBrain to keep notes of everything that's been happening and who gives me what information. I can definitely see myself enjoying both it and Martian Memorandum alot.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Well thanks work! I missed out on great deals.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Charles Martel posted:

the revised Apogee/3D Realms store

...It may not be GOG, but this is exactly the catalogue I've been waiting for. OH GOD WHAT TO BUY FIRST

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

MonkeyforaHead posted:

...It may not be GOG, but this is exactly the catalogue I've been waiting for. OH GOD WHAT TO BUY FIRST

Please note you need to pay extra if you want to download it a second time. And that's not just when you want it, it comes with a time warranty.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
I assume the 3D Realms store doesn't do anything to make the old games work in XP/Vista?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Holy balls. Under A Killing Moon is really, really neat. Instead of fixed scenes, you can actually walk around, and then push a button when you're ready to interact with the environment, and you'll get a fixed view of exactly what you were looking at.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Georg LeBoui posted:

I assume the 3D Realms store doesn't do anything to make the old games work in XP/Vista?

No, it has DOSbox wrappers just like GOG.

Biggest problem is that they didn't include the CD audio with Shadow Warrior (because they are loving cheap)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2009

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

guppy posted:

Holy balls. Under A Killing Moon is really, really neat. Instead of fixed scenes, you can actually walk around, and then push a button when you're ready to interact with the environment, and you'll get a fixed view of exactly what you were looking at.

You'll love Pandora Directive. It's basically a larger, more detailed game but the interface was thankfully left the same. PD's got better puzzles as well (including a hard mode that adds extra steps to a lot of them but also has the bonus of letting you visit more areas and have more character interaction.)

Though what really impresses me about the games is the built in hint system. It's a great way to keep the game flowing (and the first levels of each hint usually only point you in the right direction.) The dialogue trees really added a lot of flavor to the game and beat Mass Effect to the style (instead of specific questions, a bunch of them are essentially the tone you wish to converse in. i.e. apathetic, apologetic, etc.)

hogswallower, most of the puzzles are very logical and, for the ones that are not, characters are good at pointing you in the right direction. The games are mostly about collecting information than finding ways into locked rooms, dodging traps, etc.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 18, 2009

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Mokinokaro posted:

You'll love Pandora Directive. It's basically a larger, more detailed game but the interface was thankfully left the same. PD's got better puzzles as well (including a hard mode that adds extra steps to a lot of them but also has the bonus of letting you visit more areas and have more character interaction.)

Though what really impresses me about the games is the built in hint system. It's a great way to keep the game flowing (and the first levels of each hint usually only point you in the right direction.)

I was stuck in UaKM and nearly wanted to find a walkthrough and then saw the "hint" button. Very useful, since some things are really easy to overlook in this game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This is the same thing I thought until I realized the following:

1) The entire catalogue, if you want every game, is somewhere in the neighborhood of $175, which is entirely too much. And there's no discount if you want the whole catalogue.

2) The CD-Audio is missing from Shadow Warrior because they deemed uploading an image of the DOS CD-ROM with the audio "too difficult for customers to deal with".

3) I get the feeling that as soon as I start buying them, George Broussard is going to throw the entire thing on Steam.

I want to buy them. I really, REALLY do, but those three things are holding me back. If they put the god drat CD-Audio with Shadow Warrior like it should be in the first place, and offered the entire lot for less money, I would have bought it already.

But, on the other hand, they are all GoG prices, so it's a hell of a lot better than nothing, and it's great if you only want a few of them. The id Super Pack on Steam, however, has spoiled me for that prospect. :(

Grawl posted:

Please note you need to pay extra if you want to download it a second time. And that's not just when you want it, it comes with a time warranty.

Buy3DRealms.com posted:

Need to redownload an order?

The first thing you need to do is to go to your original confirmation email. In that email is an important link you need. You will need to go there and use the credit card number you originally used to pay for the order to access the download.

I don't know if you still need the extended download service, but even if you do, the games have no DRM and are small, so it's not a huge deal to burn them to a CD-R or upload a copy to your gmail account for safekeeping.

Charles Martel fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 18, 2009

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Charles Martel posted:

2) The CD-Audio is missing from Shadow Warrior because they deemed uploading an image of the DOS CD-ROM with the audio "too difficult for customers to deal with".

Hilariously this is something that would take no extra effort if you're providing a DOSBox wrapper, which is what they actually did.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Charles Martel posted:

That's the offical answer but back when this was first announced, Joe (whatever his last name is) said they didn't include it because it would have made the download too big and they didn't want to pay for the bandwidth.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Sporadic posted:

That's the offical answer but back when this was first announced, Joe (whatever his last name is) said they didn't include it because it would have made the download too big and they didn't want to pay for the bandwidth.

Another great reason not to use their service.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

guppy posted:

That really got me as well. I do wish I could walk around using the keyboard, but that is nothing deal breaking.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You know what'd be great? If some people would head over here and vote on the games they really want on GOG.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

flatluigi posted:

You know what'd be great? If some people would head over here and vote on the games they really want on GOG.

5 out of those are Lucas Arts games, so that won't happen. I do agree on Outcast though.

And Left 4 Dead.

Georg LeBoui
Feb 10, 2006
There's a severe lack of votes for Interstate '76. My god if GOG brings I'76 I will buy the poo poo out of it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Georg LeBoui posted:

There's a severe lack of votes for Interstate '76. My god if GOG brings I'76 I will buy the poo poo out of it.

Good pick; voting now. Battlezone is another good one from the era, too.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Charles Martel posted:

They...don't? :confused: It's still only on the 3D Realms online store for the time being. WITHOUT the drat CD Audio, I might add. Ugh!

It's not? Strange, I was on GOG the other day and I could have sworn I saw a page for it. :psyduck:

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Jesus christ Joe is loving lazy. I'm pretty sure DOSBox supports MP3-encoded CD Audio tracks.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Georg LeBoui posted:

Syndicate should be in the top 10, but the internet apparently has no taste. :colbert:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SwissCM posted:

Jesus christ Joe is loving lazy. I'm pretty sure DOSBox supports MP3-encoded CD Audio tracks.

Joe is just stupid. People brought it up but he doesn't care and apparently there are only 4 people left at 3DRealms (which I guess won't talk to him). Can't blame the guy when, for the past 16 years, he was the official forum poster and soda machine stocker.

Joe Seigler posted:

The game only understands CDA tracks. It doesn't play midi or mp3 or anything like that. It would have to be mounted as CDA stuff, and it would be a few hundred meg to download - the decision was to offer it this way. You could put your own CD in there if you wanted.

*somebody tell him to upload MP3s*

The game wouldn't understand any of that. It only understands CDA.

---------------

Shadow Warrior won't have music - the cda tracks are not included, as it would make the download like 500Mb. There won't be any music, but as I saw, you can use DOSBox to mount a CD and play your own music. The game doesn't understand mp3's at all, so that's not an option.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
If you guys are really hard up for the CD-Audio from Shadow Warrior, there is a CD-image or two floating around on BT. I am completely against pirating new games and old games that are available on GOG/Steam, but if you've paid for the SW download on 3DR then it's a perfectly good option. You'd be surprised at the number of old/abandonware game ISO's floating around, especially for completely unavailable games like Interstate '76.

However, the problem with I'76 is that you'll either need to run it in a Direct3D-compatible Virtual Machine for the 3D-acceleration as it's a Win95 game, and/or use a 3dfx Glide wrapper like DgVoodoo. I have no idea how any of that poo poo works as I don't have a PC at home right now, so don't ask me. The 3dfx version actually has much higher res textures than D3D for some bizarre reason (I tested it on a physical Voodoo 2 SLI setup ages ago.)

Also yeah, Joe Seigler is a bloody moron. DOSBox can play MP3-encoded tracks as CD-audio. Even if he wanted to include the Redbook music, I doubt he'd know the difference between an .ISO (which can only store data) and a .BIN/.CUE or .MDS/.MDF, so we'd probably end up with a gimped image anyway.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

flatluigi posted:

I voted for both Crusader games within days of the site going up. They aren't even close to the top. :(

Orgone Accumulator
Jan 28, 2006

It's been a long time coming.
I don't think that top 10 has changed since the day they put up the wishlist. I think everybody who views that page just votes for them too because, hey, why not? Otherwise I'd find it hard to believe that Outcast has 2600 votes and X-Com has only 600.

I really wish they'd put the Silent Storm series up. I almost feel guilty sometimes that I still haven't bought anything from GOG.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Orgone Accumulator posted:

I don't think that top 10 has changed since the day they put up the wishlist. I think everybody who views that page just votes for them too because, hey, why not? Otherwise I'd find it hard to believe that Outcast has 2600 votes and X-Com has only 600.
Well, X-Com is at least available through Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
There's plenty of retards voting for new games in that list. You'd think that Good OLD Games would give some people a hint.