Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Nice headlights :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.
If you're looking for a video camera, and don't want to pay for the nicer stuff like Revenant.Eagle has, the VholdR 1200 was just released (records HD 720p video @ 30fps or regular SD at 60fps).

Amazon has it for $280 with a free $50 gift card. It looks like it records up to 8hrs of HD video (expandable via a 16gb SDHC card - comes with a 2gb).

There are a few different mounts available too, but it comes with the 'hard surface' mount.

edit: crap, looks like the $279 w/ $50 card deal is gone.. back up to $299. :(

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 18, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fantastipotamus posted:

If you're looking for a video camera, and don't want to pay for the nicer stuff like Revenant.Eagle has, the VholdR 1200 was just released (records HD 720p video @ 30fps or regular SD at 60fps).

Amazon has it for $280 with a free $50 gift card. It looks like it records up to 8hrs of HD video (expandable via a 16gb SDHC card - comes with a 2gb).

There are a few different mounts available too, but it comes with the 'hard surface' mount.

I just bought one of those.

Video samples available earlier in this thread and in my race report thread.

http://www.vimeo.com/5171591

They are very sensative to proper mounting, and the shutter wobble will be greatly reduced with solid mounting. It's easy to use and has quite a few nice features, mainly being easy to use with gloves and turn on/off.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

They are very sensative to proper mounting, and the shutter wobble will be greatly reduced with solid mounting. It's easy to use and has quite a few nice features, mainly being easy to use with gloves and turn on/off.
Hmm.. the mounting on the bike does appear a bit shaky.. any experience with the helmet mount? I was hoping that might be tolerable?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Hmm.. the mounting on the bike does appear a bit shaky.. any experience with the helmet mount? I was hoping that might be tolerable?

Helmet cams are banninated in the AFM. I'd like to try it, but I don't think you'll see great results, as it can still wiggle a bit. I bet for their test videos they were using some other form of mount. The overall recommendation seems to be 3m dual lock stuff, plus damping foam and 3 or so layers of gaffer tape over the bottom half of the unit to help avoid wind noise. Couple that with some zip ties to really secure it in place, and then it records like it should.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Dragged my knee across the mouse pad and voted 5 for Revenant.Eagle.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Z3n posted:

Nice headlights :xd:

:c00l:

They work surprisingly well. I'll be heading back to the hill (US129) soon to do a night run!

Need moar votes guys. You can vote once every hour it seems like. Just be careful because sometimes it takes a vote away.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Z3n posted:

Helmet cams are banninated in the AFM.
Helmet cams are banned? Do they pose some risk i'm not aware of?

I'm less inclined to get it now that it's not a net $220 price though. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Fantastipotamus posted:

Helmet cams are banned? Do they pose some risk i'm not aware of?

I'm less inclined to get it now that it's not a net $220 price though. :(

I think they're just concerned about them coming off and potentially ending up in a bad place on track.

That deal was a bit absurd. They're still really nice, they just require good solid mounting.

Revenant.Eagle posted:

:c00l:

They work surprisingly well. I'll be heading back to the hill (US129) soon to do a night run!

Need moar votes guys. You can vote once every hour it seems like. Just be careful because sometimes it takes a vote away.

I ran a similar setup when I was streeting my trackbike.

I voted you up on a couple of machines around here :)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

8ender posted:

As a short legged person you should be happy you'll never look awkward tip toeing around on a dual sport.
That reminds me, a few weeks before that I shot a biker rally. My boss (henceforth referred to as "K") was there. He has a police-model Harley (took him a good bit of arguing to get an iPod-compatible stereo in it), and is good friends with the local PD's motorcycle cop (the cop's handle is "Radar," for reasons that should be obvious). K asked Radar to ride K's bike on the dyno-drag because he hadn't had it for long and didn't feel comfortable doing it himself.

Anyway, I was standing there talking to them while they were in line for the dyno-drag, and Radar went and straddled K's bike to push it forward as the line advanced. It looked like Radar was having trouble with it, so I asked K, "What's the problem? He spends eight hours a day on one just like that."

K replied, "Well, mine's an inch and a half taller, and Radar's a short little guy. . ."

TL:DR: :lol: Motorcycle cop is short and the civvie version of his work bike rides higher so he almost falls over when walking one.

No pictures of that, alas, because I obviously can't put my coworkers in the paper, and Radar specifically asked me not to photograph him, and I want to stay on his good side (because my car is a year overdue for inspection and I regularly cut it close on traffic lights in front of cops/park right beside him and go interview him when he's working a wreck; I've never gotten a ticket in this town, touch wood).

I didn't get to see the actual run because I had to leave for another assignment; K told me later that his bike performed exactly as advertised (84hp and a 10-second quarter-mile); apparently Radar has beaten that time in the past, but didn't do so well this year (yes, he takes his work bike on the simulated drag race; I've got pretty cool local LEOs).

On a slightly related note, I've been telling all my car-driving friends "If you see a fat guy on a cop Harley without the decal on the tank and box on the backseat, run him over so I can get promoted." Is this ethical? (If it affects the answer, K is kind of an rear end and not a very good photographer.)

On a more related note, I now want a cop Harley.

To ramble even more, I did not know until that bike rally that Harley made a firefighter bike -- one of the fire captains has one and was hanging out with K and Radar. Do they actually expect to sell those to fleets like the police model, or is it more of a commemorative thing? The website does show it with lights and siren . . .

To get back on-topic: here's the fire captain's motorcycle helmet. :black101:

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 18, 2009

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Ok, I don't normally do this, but I was featured on the main page of us129photos. If I get the most votes for the week, I get a free 16x24" print... which would be badass since I've never won anything free in my life. I would have won, but it seems another guy is doing the same thing. I'm trailing by about 100 votes. You can vote once per hour, and this goes until the end of the week.

The photo in question:

So, I ask you fellow goons with cycles... vote for me!

http://www.us129photos.com 3/4 of the page down you'll see the thumbnail version of above. 5 star please :)

Thanks!!

Voted 5.

The headlights on the car in the leading photo are hideous.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Thanks Z3n. The comment about knee dragging being overrated was meant along the lines of me not thinking "zomg, I'm dragging knee so I must be awesome and fast" - which is how I used to think when first tracking my 250.

It sounds from what you've said like I might have had my positioning sorted a little better at my 3rd trackday about 6 months ago, despite being slower overall than I was at my 4th one (less consistent lines):

Anyhow, it's great to know what to focus on when I next have the time to get out there.

Bonus thread content for jealous Americans - my friend on his Tyga-kitted CBR250RR. 18,500rpm anyone?

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 18, 2009

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Voted for you. As of 9:30pm CST, you are about 60 votes back. Good luck.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Delivery McGee posted:

God Bless Texas

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Hughmoris posted:

Voted for you. As of 9:30pm CST, you are about 60 votes back. Good luck.

Yep, thanks guys! Hopefully by the end of the week I'll be able to catch up.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FlyinDoc posted:

Bonus thread content for jealous Americans - my friend on his Tyga-kitted CBR250RR. 18,500rpm anyone?

If Honda released something like that they would make money hand over fist. I have no idea why the 250cc sport bike domain is basically left for Kawasaki to rule in the US.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FlyinDoc posted:

Thanks Z3n. The comment about knee dragging being overrated was meant along the lines of me not thinking "zomg, I'm dragging knee so I must be awesome and fast" - which is how I used to think when first tracking my 250.

It sounds from what you've said like I might have had my positioning sorted a little better at my 3rd trackday about 6 months ago, despite being slower overall than I was at my 4th one (less consistent lines):

Anyhow, it's great to know what to focus on when I next have the time to get out there.

Fast isn't always good. I've known a number of "fast" riders at the track who scared the poo poo out of me and usually wadded it within a few sessions. They're just all over the place, inconsistant, and basically rely on luck and the stick of modern tires to get them through the corners. Smooth, consistant, and comfortable is the way to ride. Speed comes with time. I'm not saying you shouldn't push and try to improve yourself, just that you shouldn't decide to go faster by just "waiting until you see god and then braking" or some crap like that.

You are awesome and fast if you have a knee down, though. Bonus points for backing it up with the elbow :allears:

:v:

That CBR is sick. Too bad we'll never see one on this side of the world :( There's a few gray market ones floating around, but I just can't justify 5k for a 250 I4 when parts are impossible to come by and I could buy a nice race prepped 6 for that :(

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Pretty.

Prettiest.

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007

Z3n posted:

Fast isn't always good. I've known a number of "fast" riders at the track who scared the poo poo out of me and usually wadded it within a few sessions. They're just all over the place, inconsistant, and basically rely on luck and the stick of modern tires to get them through the corners. Smooth, consistant, and comfortable is the way to ride. Speed comes with time. I'm not saying you shouldn't push and try to improve yourself, just that you shouldn't decide to go faster by just "waiting until you see god and then braking" or some crap like that.

Agree entirely

I meant that I ended up riding quicker once I got my lines sorted out better and became generally more consistent - not out of actively trying to go fast at all, but purely out of feeling more comfortable and ending up quicker without trying.

kylej posted:

If Honda released something like that they would make money hand over fist. I have no idea why the 250cc sport bike domain is basically left for Kawasaki to rule in the US.

We don't get any current-release I4 250s, apparently due to emissions, but there are still plenty of second hand CBR250s and ZXR250s, with the occasional GSXR250 around too. All have artificially high pricing, due to m/c licensing requirements in this state mandating 250cc or less for your first year.

We do get twins like the VTR250 though, and the Hyosung GT250/GTR250 (though I thought you guys get the latter bikes too?)

FlyinDoc fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 18, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FlyinDoc posted:

Agree entirely

I meant that I ended up riding quicker once I got my lines sorted out better and became generally more consistent - not out of actively trying to go fast at all, but purely out of feeling more comfortable and ending up quicker without trying.

We don't get any current-release I4 250s, apparently due to emissions, but there are still plenty of second hand CBR250s and ZXR250s, with the occasional GSXR250 around too. All have artificially high pricing, due to m/c licensing requirements in this state mandating 250cc or less for your first year.

We do get twins like the VTR250 though, and the Hyosung GT250/GTR250 (though I thought you guys get the latter bikes too?)

We get the GT250/GTR250, but after seeing the build quality, I can't recommend them.

We don't get any of the cool I4 250s :(

And yeah, your fastest laps usually feel the slowest and most in control.

Moncsko
Aug 5, 2005
I Own Russia?
Spotted this outside a tattoo shop in Coco Beach FL

Note the bottle opener mounted on the headlight.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Moncsko posted:

Spotted this outside a tattoo shop in Coco Beach FL

Note the bottle opener mounted on the headlight.

Drum rear with no front brake at all? Pour me another!

FlyinDoc
Dec 20, 2007
Gah, I hope everyone reads the conditions better than I did and doesn't try to vote down that hideous abomination of a car in addition to voting Revenant.Eagle up.

I'll make up for it with my next hour's vote

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dubs posted:

Prettiest.

I saw that yellow one parked at work, but I was in a hurry so I didn't stop for a closer look. Time to look up some reviews!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dubs posted:

The dealer where I bought my klr sells benelli. Or at least they have a few on the sales floor, and have for the past three years. I've never seen one around town so no idea if anyone here actually buys them.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Yeah, Benelli is not in good shape, as nice as their products may be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah, Benelli is not in good shape, as nice as their products may be.

They're in the same boat with Harley and Ducati. They charge way too much for what at the end of the day is a nice looking bike that isnt enormously functionally better than their cheaper Japanese counterparts.

Harley and Ducati just have the dealer network to make it work better for them.

waptang
Nov 30, 2003

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Ok, I don't normally do this, but I was featured on the main page of us129photos. If I get the most votes for the week, I get a free 16x24" print... which would be badass since I've never won anything free in my life. I would have won, but it seems another guy is doing the same thing. I'm trailing by about 100 votes. You can vote once per hour, and this goes until the end of the week.

The photo in question:

(Own hosting)

http://www.us129photos.com 3/4 of the page down you'll see the thumbnail version of above. 5 star please :)

Thanks!!

Looks like someone's taken this a bit far. You're up over 5600 votes right now with 2nd place trailing by a mere 4000 votes. :D

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

waptang posted:

Looks like someone's taken this a bit far. You're up over 5600 votes right now with 2nd place trailing by a mere 4000 votes. :D

I voted too, even though I looked at the chick riding bitch in sandals longer.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Revenant.Eagle posted:

I would have won, but it seems another guy is doing the same thing.

I think I found where the Chrysler traffic is coming from :

http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66653

Holy poo poo. 269 posts over 27 pages?

Edit - Ah I see you have made first contact with the 300C people :)

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 19, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Revenant.Eagle posted:

The photo in question:

(Own hosting)

Thanks!!

Christ, you have probably 96% of the votes on that page :xd:

edit: poo poo didnt see the 300c, well drat

Z3n posted:

Considering that this video alone gives me a panic attack I dont think I will ever be able to race motorcycles with anyone on the track :cry:

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 19, 2009

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
That 300 is ugly and they should feel bad for driving it.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Automated voting can be fought with automated voting. :clint:

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

NeuralSpark posted:

loving lol at over 45,000 votes for the 300C.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

NeuralSpark posted:

Yeah, we were thinking about doing it as well. You can easily get 1 million votes in a 24 hour period, but I rather not take down their poor server with that solution. I'll leave them with 45,000 votes and see what they say at the end of the week.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Revenant.Eagle posted:

Yeah, we were thinking about doing it as well. You can easily get 1 million votes in a 24 hour period, but I rather not take down their poor server with that solution. I'll leave them with 45,000 votes and see what they say at the end of the week.

Oh come on, you should do it anyways. Just make it like a quarter of a mill or something. Use some restraint, ya know.

Legdiian posted:

I think I found where the Chrysler traffic is coming from :

http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66653

Holy poo poo. 269 posts over 27 pages?

Edit - Ah I see you have made first contact with the 300C people :)

Can't access that page...do I need an account?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Z3n posted:

Oh come on, you should do it anyways. Just make it like a quarter of a mill or something. Use some restraint, ya know.

I move we auto-vote for the chihuahua. Dogs are great because they are funny.

edit: :smugdog:

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Z3n posted:

Can't access that page...do I need an account?

They must have noticed the influx of traffic or something. It was wide open before but they either deleted the post or changed the forums so you need an account.

Edit - Looks like it's just that thread. The thing was filled with them talking about how they were cheating the voting system so they probably removed access to it so the people that run the photo site don't know they cheated....You know, so their 45K votes look legit.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 19, 2009

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Tried regging an account, but still denied.

google: shameless vote site:300cforumz.com

Only page 4 comes up, will try to modify the url to load page 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Some ridiculous frenchmen riding supermotos and "roadsters"

Helmet cam on undefeated supermoto champ

When supermoto takes over - vid that some guy made. It has to be downloaded, but it's worth the wait.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=79514&highlight=supermoto+takes