Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

# Country/Provider: Michigan, USA/Verizon

# Current contract status: out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): I currently have $50 a month, but would be willing to go up to $70 if its a smart phone data plan.

# Features I know I want: like 400-500 minutes a month, 200-250 texts

I'm debating getting a smart phone like an iPhone, but the massive charges a month for data plans are turning me away. I'd like a qwerty keyboard for texting, but i don't text too often. I don't care about cameras, mp3s, any of that jazz.

I get discounts for 15% from Verizon and TMobile from my university.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trademarked
Aug 26, 2006

Well, fancy that.
* Country/Provider: USA AT&T

* Current contract status: Under Contract on family plan

* Budget (phone/plan): $500-$750

* Features I know I want: Looking for a smart phone with pretty good media capabilities. I'd get an iPhone, but don't really care to pay the extra premium for data. I'm fairly sure with some smart phones, I could leave my plan on the $10 a month data package, and AT&T would be none the wiser. So preferably something I can do that with.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Nokia 5800 XpressMusic or Nokia N85. Look them up on Amazon, because that's where you need to be. You'll spend less than $300 on either.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

* Country/Provider: USA Virgin Mobile

* Current contract status: No contract, prepaid

* Budget (phone/plan): Willing to shell out for expensive phone, don't use it enough to justify expensive plan

* Features I know I want: Basically, I've been going the prepaid route because I work from home and therefore am rarely away from IM/email for my clients; I've been paying the $20 a month for VM minutes and have been accruing a balance even at that rate. I just want to verify I'm reading correctly, though, in that I can buy a GSM unlocked phone, buy the T-Mobile sim card, and use a handset of my choice on their pay-as-you-go plan? I'm getting tired of the "baby's first cellphone"-level handsets available through most of the prepaid providers, and would like the option to use something a little more fancy.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
USA AT&T

Corporate, unlimited everything/no contracts.

Budget: Doesn't matter

I beat my 3G iPhone to death a few days ago. I hate Apple and while I got a free iPhone at work, I couldn't restrain myself after the 400th dropped call.

Anyway.

I need to hit OWA or RPC/HTTPS email. Preferably the same connection method the iPhone used, and I want contact sync. I also want 3G, a keyboard, un-faggoty media capabilities (I had a Dell Axim years ago that would play anything I threw on a card with TMP or whatever it became.) Good camera is a big plus, format/size doesn't matter, I use the thing for GPS maps and email mainly but I want more. I've been looking at the Sony X1 but I'm so far out of the phone loop I don't know which direction is up anymore.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
* Country/Provider: USA / ATT

* Current contract status: just finished a 2 year commitment.

* Budget (phone/plan): Family plan for 4 people, moderately low minutes (most of our calls are within the AT&T network or past night and weekend hours, so we don't need that many regular hours), below 100 dollars for the base plan,

I'd like to get a phone priced at no more than 70 dollars or so with another 2 year commitment.

My sisters will be pushing the infinite texting, but I never use it and am going to be pushing to get an unlimited data plan, so if there are any good deals on a data plan that allows tethering then that would be very helpful.

* Features I know I want: Tethering- I'd like something I can tether wirelessly to my Pandora when it finally ships. In other words, support for linux wireless tethering, and I'm assuming 3G compatibility for increased bandwidth.

If possible, it'd be nice to get a smart phone or something that I could idly play/tinker with in my spare time, but it's not that important.

edit: I'd like something that has good battery life too if possible.

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 16, 2009

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
# Country/Provider: BC Canada / no preference

# Current contract status: no contract

# Budget (phone/plan): < $150 / cheap plan

# Features I know/want: It's been suggested to me that I get pay-as-you-go since I'm not entirely sure how much I will end up using this phone: It will be my first and I'm paying for it myself (:arghfist:mom). Koodo / Fido is another idea. I know I'd like a qwerty keyboard to make texting faster but I can survive without it if it makes things easier.

Skeeter
Oct 24, 2004
Honk Honk!
# Country/Provider: BC Canada / no preference

# Budget (phone/plan): < $150 / cheap plan

# Features I know/want: I'm in the same board as the above. I'm a student, new to my own phone, in BC. QWERTY is not needed at all if it's going to cost me over $50. I've been leaning Koodo, but another opinion would be really helpful too.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE
I refreshed the page and was very confused for a moment.

Also I hear Rogers (and therefore Fido) has better reception in cities than all the other providers, anyone here confirm/deny?

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
# Country/Provider: Texas/USA / net10 (pay by the minute phone)

# Budget (phone/plan): < 50$ a month

# Features I know/want: I really only use my phone for texting. Would like some minutes for necessary calls, maybe 200 or so, but essentially if I could have a mobile texting device that doesn't cost an arm and a leg for a cheap college student, that'd be fantastic. Thanks guys!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Das Volk, the X1 should be fine. The Nokia N97 is another great phone. It has a keyboard, a great camera, and GPS. They both have shoddy keyboards in comparison to the Touch Pro but the camera is worlds ahead of the Touch Pro and the miserable camera on the iPhone 3G. The N97 has a better camera than the X1. The e-mail I'm not too sure about on the N97 but it should support what you need. If you get the X1, go to xda-developers and flash a ROM on it. That makes sure that you don't end up beating the X1 to death out of frustration because of lag and slowdown.

E: I saw your thread and if you're willing to wait, get a BlackBerry Tour on Verizon. Your call issues should then be solved for good as Verizon has the best network and AT&T's network can be pretty bad regarding dropped calls.

Prosthetic_Mind, the data plan for you is $15 MediaNET. The cost is lowered to $10 per line if you are going to have unlimited texting and the data plan. Now the data plan description says that it's supposed to be only for regular phones, but you can use it on any unbranded smartphone. You can also tether with this plan. For the phone, I recommend getting a Nokia E71. It's under $300 now and it's a great phone. Do not get the E71x that's offered by AT&T as that uses the $30 data plan which will also require you to pay $30 more for tethering. Get an unbranded E71 from Amazon. The E71 has great battery life for a 3G smartphone and S60 is a good, powerful OS.

Godzilla07 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jun 17, 2009

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug

Godzilla07 posted:

$300

I appreciate your assistance, but I'd need something I can get included with the cell phone plan. My parents have offered to cover the actual plan, but anything extra for the phones comes out of my pocket, and being a full time college student doesn't give me a whole lot of pocket money. How about focusing on something that is significantly cheaper and supports tethering and 3g?

As it is my 4 year old computer is slowly falling apart and I'm saving up everything I can to upgrade it before it decides that it doesn't want to boot anymore, so I really can't spare anything outside of 70 or so dollars outside the plan.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

You're asking too much, dude. You're also evidently not understanding the true cost of a cellphone or the hidden costs associated with "3G and tethering" which is traditionally a pretty tall order.

If your family is re-upping your AT&T line, you want to get either a $99 iPhone 3G or a $199/299 iPhone 3G S with your plan. Drop the expensive-rear end iPhone data immediately, and sell the phone: expect to score $350 or so for the $99 iPhone and probably $450-700 if you wait for one of the other two. This will make your E71 purchase very manageable.

If you get a phone from AT&T, they're going to murder you on tethering charges. You need an unlocked phone like the E71 ($300), 5800 XpressMusic ($260-290), N85 ($280), or even N95-3 ($380). You can dig up an older phone if you want some used-rear end eBay poo poo, but those are all great choices that have AT&T 3G support and will work with the $10/month family data ($15/month if your family doesn't buy messaging). Godzilla07 and I don't always see eye to eye, but he's very right about this and you're being pretty unreasonable if you think you're going to come out better. As he said, avoid the E71x.

Good luck!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

I appreciate your assistance, but I'd need something I can get included with the cell phone plan. My parents have offered to cover the actual plan, but anything extra for the phones comes out of my pocket, and being a full time college student doesn't give me a whole lot of pocket money. How about focusing on something that is significantly cheaper and supports tethering and 3g?

As it is my 4 year old computer is slowly falling apart and I'm saving up everything I can to upgrade it before it decides that it doesn't want to boot anymore, so I really can't spare anything outside of 70 or so dollars outside the plan.

As kalibar said, get an iPhone 3G or 3GS. Keep the data plan on long enough so you can activate and jailbreak. Or you just take the data plan off after you get home from the Apple store and just sell it BNIB. BNIB will get you $25-$30 extra. iPhones hold their resale value very well (look at the iPhone 2G still fetching $250 being 2 years old). No other phone on AT&T will fetch you as much money, not even the Bold. Use the money Out of the iPhones, the 3GS is preferable. Just get the 16 GB 3GS and you'll get $450-$500. You can get an N97 if you bought a 32 GB 3GS but the N97 would be overkill for your needs. After you got a 16 GB 3GS sold, you will have $100-$175 leftover after your device purchase of a E71, N85 or N95. The folks in the S60 thread can help you out on deciding which of the 3 to get. And remember, do not get the E71x. It's been crippled a bit from the original E71 and you will have to pay $60 for what you want data-wise instead of the $15 ($10 with unlimited texts) for what you want data-wise.

Irish Thunder
Apr 20, 2006

Irish Thunder posted:

# Country/Provider: Michigan, USA/Verizon

# Current contract status: out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): I currently have $50 a month, but would be willing to go up to $70 if its a smart phone data plan.

# Features I know I want: like 400-500 minutes a month, 200-250 texts

I'm debating getting a smart phone like an iPhone, but the massive charges a month for data plans are turning me away. I'd like a qwerty keyboard for texting, but i don't text too often. I don't care about cameras, mp3s, any of that jazz.

I get discounts for 15% from Verizon and TMobile from my university.
Would the E71 be my best bet too? I don't seem to see the similar data and messaging options for an individual using their 450 minute plan.

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
ok, so buy iphone, sell iphone, buy E71?

I know it's outside of the scope of the thread, but is there any particular place it'd be good to sell the iphone? I haven't really sold anything over the internet before, and I guess I could use ebay or something, but I'm rather in the dark over the whole matter.

edit: thanks for your help, I really appreciate it, and with any luck I should be able to get all of this taken care of in a month

Prosthetic_Mind fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 18, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Irish Thunder posted:

Would the E71 be my best bet too? I don't seem to see the similar data and messaging options for an individual using their 450 minute plan.

Any smartphone on Verizon will require a $30 data plan and some of their feature phones like the Dare require $15 a month data plans. I can't verify the higher-end feature phone one. If all you care about is QWERTY, then an enV3 should suit you. But if you want a little more from your phone, go to T-Mobile and get the Individual 1000 or 600 (600 has nights and weekends, 1000 has no nights and weekends). After that, add 300 messages ($5) to you plan. Then add the $9.99 web2go. The web2go will work on any phone and will work on the E71. Bear in mind that you won't be getting 3G on the E71 if 3G is available in your area. The total should come out to $46.75 with your discount before taxes. The phone you should get is the E71 but the N85 is another good alternative.

Prosthetic_Mind, that's pretty much what you should do. You can sell the iPhone on SA-Mart or eBay.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My girlfriend and I are currently on two separate plans with Verizon. She has a family plan with her grandmother on the second line, and I have an individual 39.99/mo plan with $10 text.

We want to change things up a bit when both contracts are up (mine in August, hers at the end of September). We're planning on signing up for the $109 EPRP plan, and probably getting two Pres.

The plan then would be to get her grandmother on a per-use plan with Verizon, which based on her usage would keep the bill in the $10-15 range and under each month. The key with grandma is keeping everything the same on her end when we make our switch. She'll keep the phone she has and the number she has, ideally, so nothing changes from her POV. She is across the country from us, so being able to do all of this without getting her or the phone to a Verizon store would be really really great. The only issue I see is getting through an age verification.

Anyway, how would we do this most efficiently, so that we all retain our numbers? My thought, from reading this forum:

1. Wait out contracts at this point, not worth the ETF for either of us.
2. Purchase cheap prepaid phones that we can transfer our current numbers to. Can this be done without having the current phone with us (for grandma)?
3. Sign up for EPRP, buy 2 Pres (will we be able to buy two at the $199 new customer rate, or is that just for the first phone on a new plan?), transfer numbers again.
3b. Sign up for senior per-use plan, transfer grandma's number back.
4. ...
5. Profit!

Is it even necessary to move grandma's number back and forth, or can we just sign her up for the new VZW plan when we get the prepaid phones and transfer the number to the new plan right away? Do we need to even get prepaid phones first ourselves? I've never dealt with transferring numbers before, obviously. :v:

Also, I've thought about getting a prepaid phone anyway for the month or two that I'm off contract, before they are, to save me some money, so I may do the double transfer thing myself either way.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jun 18, 2009

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

sirbeefalot posted:

My girlfriend and I are currently on two separate plans with Verizon. She has a family plan with her grandmother on the second line, and I have an individual 39.99/mo plan with $10 text.

We want to change things up a bit when both contracts are up (mine in August, hers at the end of September). We're planning on signing up for the $109 EPRP plan, and probably getting two Pres.

The plan then would be to get her grandmother on a per-use plan with Verizon, which based on her usage would keep the bill in the $10-15 range and under each month. The key with grandma is keeping everything the same on her end when we make our switch. She'll keep the phone she has and the number she has, ideally, so nothing changes from her POV. She is across the country from us, so being able to do all of this without getting her or the phone to a Verizon store would be really really great. The only issue I see is getting through an age verification.

Anyway, how would we do this most efficiently, so that we all retain our numbers? My thought, from reading this forum:

1. Wait out contracts at this point, not worth the ETF for either of us.
2. Purchase cheap prepaid phones that we can transfer our current numbers to. Can this be done without having the current phone with us (for grandma)?
3. Sign up for EPRP, buy 2 Pres (will we be able to buy two at the $199 new customer rate, or is that just for the first phone on a new plan?), transfer numbers again.
3b. Sign up for senior per-use plan, transfer grandma's number back.
4. ...
5. Profit!

Is it even necessary to move grandma's number back and forth, or can we just sign her up for the new VZW plan when we get the prepaid phones and transfer the number to the new plan right away? Do we need to even get prepaid phones first ourselves? I've never dealt with transferring numbers before, obviously. :v:

Also, I've thought about getting a prepaid phone anyway for the month or two that I'm off contract, before they are, to save me some money, so I may do the double transfer thing myself either way.

Transfer grandma to her senior plan directly. Just call support and make the change once her contract is up. Tell them you want to remove her from the family plan, put her on her own senior plan, and just leave the other two lines on the original family plan.

Now, go to the EPRP site and buy a Pre and tell Sprint to port your numbers when it asks during the ordering process. This will automatically cancel your VZW family plan since there will be no lines left on it. Once your old numbers are on Sprint, you can call VZW and make sure but you should be fine.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Country/Provider: Madison, WI 53711 / Vonage VOIP

Current contract status: Can quit anytime.

Budget (phone/plan): $125 / prepaid

Features I know I want: Good battery life, good reliability, does not break if looked at wrong, and a Camera

I have never owned a cell phone before and currently use Vonage. Unfortunately they have raised their rates a couple times and I will soon be paying $24/month. The special VOIP router also just died so I can't even use my phone right now. I am not looking for anything fancy and will not use it all that much, maybe 30 minutes a month. I could care less about data or texting or any other extra crap. I am just looking for a phone.

I have been looking at an AT&T Go phone as that seems to be the best deal in my area right now. Specifically I was looking at the RZR V3 or Nokia 6085. The CNET reviews seemed good for both phones and At&T looks to have good coverage for my area. The prepaid plan will also be much cheaper.

Is Verizon any better? They do seem to have a better selection of phones than AT&T.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

MH Knights posted:

Is Verizon any better? They do seem to have a better selection of phones than AT&T.
Is this a joke post? AT&T is a GSM carrier and therefore has an infinitely better "selection" than Verizon.

Be that as it may, if you don't need data and do want to go pre-paid, you need to get on T-Mobile To Go. It's cheaper than AT&T GoPhone since you don't have to pay $1/day access charges on days you use your phone; it's just 10 cents a minute, 10 cents to send texts, and 5 cents to receive texts. You'll have a tiny phone bill and you can buy a cool phone.

I know it's out of your budget, but Newegg has the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic smartphone on sale for $249 shipped -- allocating an extra $100-150 past your original budget will go a very, very long way for you if you can do it. Nokias are rugged as hell, get amazing reception, and have great battery life (assuming you're not pounding GPS all day). The 5800 has a standard headphone jack, purportedly awesome sound quality, Wi-Fi so you can surf the net where available, a 3 megapixel cam with autofocus, and a robust slab-like form factor that shouldn't bend or creak. It'll work great with T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

kalibar posted:

Is this a joke post? AT&T is a GSM carrier and therefore has an infinitely better "selection" than Verizon.

Be that as it may, if you don't need data and do want to go pre-paid, you need to get on T-Mobile To Go. It's cheaper than AT&T GoPhone since you don't have to pay $1/day access charges on days you use your phone; it's just 10 cents a minute, 10 cents to send texts, and 5 cents to receive texts. You'll have a tiny phone bill and you can buy a cool phone.

I know it's out of your budget, but Newegg has the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic smartphone on sale for $249 shipped -- allocating an extra $100-150 past your original budget will go a very, very long way for you if you can do it. Nokias are rugged as hell, get amazing reception, and have great battery life (assuming you're not pounding GPS all day). The 5800 has a standard headphone jack, purportedly awesome sound quality, Wi-Fi so you can surf the net where available, a 3 megapixel cam with autofocus, and a robust slab-like form factor that shouldn't bend or creak. It'll work great with T-Mobile or AT&T prepaid.

Someone's selling an AT&T Tilt for 95 bucks right now on SA-Mart, if he can find a way to unlock it (hint: xda-developers).

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

kalibar posted:

Not a joke post, I have no idea how good any of the carriers are as most people I know say "They all suck, you are screwed no matter who you choose" or "Eh, it works." Well I know to stay away from net10 and Criket.

As for T-Mobile, they do not cover the area I live in unfortunately. Alltel was nice too but got bought by Verizon. Virgin looked good too but was not as cheap as AT&T.

And the Nokia 5800 is nice but really more than I need. Besides, wouldn't the SIM card I get from AT&T be programed for the phone I bought from them or do they not care so long as I pay? In that case would I just buy some ultra cheap phone and switch out the card or could I just buy the SIM card?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

MH Knights posted:

Not a joke post, I have no idea how good any of the carriers are as most people I know say "They all suck, you are screwed no matter who you choose" or "Eh, it works." Well I know to stay away from net10 and Criket.

As for T-Mobile, they do not cover the area I live in unfortunately. Alltel was nice too but got bought by Verizon. Virgin looked good too but was not as cheap as AT&T.

And the Nokia 5800 is nice but really more than I need. Besides, wouldn't the SIM card I get from AT&T be programed for the phone I bought from them or do they not care so long as I pay? In that case would I just buy some ultra cheap phone and switch out the card or could I just buy the SIM card?

The SIM card be used in any unlocked GSM phone or any AT&T phone. Yes, you can buy a cheap phone and switch the card out.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Someone's selling an AT&T Tilt for 95 bucks right now on SA-Mart, if he can find a way to unlock it (hint: xda-developers).
Yeah, the Tilt is cool but it's not known for battery life, reliability, great reception, decent physical size, or really any of the things a prospective prepaid customer with extremely vague criteria might be looking for.

A Nokia dumbphone is probably the best bet if a 5800 is too spendy.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I want a helio ocean 2 but I don't want to pay $400 for it. Will someone recommend me a similar phone that I can check my gmail from and has GPS enables google maps? I don't need a lot of talk minutes, unlimited data and texting would be super awesome.

I live in the united states
I have no current cell phone plan
I would like to pay less than $100 a month for service
I would like to pay less than $400 for a phone itself

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Helio, jesus. :suicide:

-- Nokia 5800 ($249 shipped on Newegg). GPS, native Google Maps and Garmin, WiFi, AT&T 3G, high rez screen
-- AT&T contract with iPhone 3G S ($299 out of pocket)
-- drop iPhone data package immediately (put SIM in Nokia 5800 and tell AT&T you sold iPhone)
-- sell iPhone 3G S on eBay (collect $700-750)
-- add AT&T's unlimited data + unlimited SMS package for $30/month
-- pay $70/month for a sweet phone that cost you negative $50-100

For extreme savings, find friends or goons to split an ATT plan with and pay as low as $40/month for all that poo poo.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

second best sponge posted:

I want a helio ocean 2 but I don't want to pay $400 for it. Will someone recommend me a similar phone that I can check my gmail from and has GPS enables google maps? I don't need a lot of talk minutes, unlimited data and texting would be super awesome.

I live in the united states
I have no current cell phone plan
I would like to pay less than $100 a month for service
I would like to pay less than $400 for a phone itself

Dear god, this is 2009, not 2006, so why the hell would you want a Helio?

Do what kalibar said. Except I would change it around to buying the iPhone first and after you've got it sold, get the 5800. Another alternative to the 5800 is the Nokia E71. The E71 has a full QWERTY keyboard, not that awful excuse of an on-screen keyboard on the 5800. It's also got GPS and is still one of the best smartphones out on the market. The E71 goes for $300, but I consider it to be better than the 5800 so it would be worth it to me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
* Country/Provider: Currently Tmobile/US
* Current contract status: Paying month to month
* Budget (phone): $200 or less
* Features I know I want: Full keyboard (or at least blackberry style keyboard, don't know the term), the rest doesn't matter a ton to me.

I've been using tmobile for about 3 years with an old nokia 6010 ( I believe ). I've been using a very cheap plan (50ish after taxes), but have recently been getting walloped as my social life has picked up some steam because my texting has shot through the roof (150-200 three months in a row. I'm now ready to go to unlimited plans, and it looks like the Sprint EPRP is by far the best one to go with. I don't really need/want a smartphone, but I figure since the Sprint plan has unlimited data, I should take advantage of that, as I assume smartphones are going to work best for web browsing. What phones should I be looking at? The HTC Touch Pro gets mentioned a lot in here, but it's still very expensive from Sprint. Right now I'm thinking I should wait for the Touch Pro 2 to come out, and hope that it's the same price as the current TP and get it, or hope the TP gets discounted. Other than that, the Treos seem a bit cheaper, but I haven't seen nearly as much recommendation for them. The Pre isn't available on the EPRP plan yet, so I'm not sure what the price will be on it.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 21, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Godzilla07 posted:

Another alternative to the 5800 is the Nokia E71. The E71 has a full QWERTY keyboard, not that awful excuse of an on-screen keyboard on the 5800. It's also got GPS and is still one of the best smartphones out on the market. The E71 goes for $300, but I consider it to be better than the 5800 so it would be worth it to me.
Yeah the E71 would be a decent choice too. I was just throwing 5800 out there because the huge screen would make it a pretty badass GPS, and other than "GPS and Google Maps" his requirements were astonishingly vague.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

* Country/Provider: Currently Tmobile
* Current contract status: Paying month to month
* Budget (phone): $200 or less
* Features I know I want: Full keyboard (or at least blackberry style keyboard, don't know the term), the rest doesn't matter a ton to me.

I've been using tmobile for about 3 years with an old nokia 6010 ( I believe ). I've been using a very cheap plan (50ish after taxes), but have recently been getting walloped as my social life has picked up some steam because my texting has shot through the roof (150-200 three months in a row. I'm now ready to go to unlimited plans, and it looks like the Sprint EPRP is by far the best one to go with. I don't really need/want a smartphone, but I figure since the Sprint plan has unlimited data, I should take advantage of that, as I assume smartphones are going to work best for web browsing. What phones should I be looking at? The HTC Touch Pro gets mentioned a lot in here, but it's still very expensive from Sprint. Right now I'm thinking I should wait for the Touch Pro 2 to come out, and hope that it's the same price as the current TP and get it, or hope the TP gets discounted.

If you want the Touch Pro, it's not going to be cheap. Devices like the Touch Pro (high-end HTC WM slideout QWERTYs) have always been highly priced and they always will be. You can get a Touch Pro for Sprint with a clean ESN for $270-$310 off of eBay instead of Sprint's $300 after a $100 MIR if you buy direct from them. I recommend going to the Touch Pro thread here in Cellphone Shack and read about flashing ROMs. New ROMs make WM devices usable.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Godzilla07 posted:

If you want the Touch Pro, it's not going to be cheap. Devices like the Touch Pro (high-end HTC WM slideout QWERTYs) have always been highly priced and they always will be. You can get a Touch Pro for Sprint with a clean ESN for $270-$310 off of eBay instead of Sprint's $300 after a $100 MIR if you buy direct from them. I recommend going to the Touch Pro thread here in Cellphone Shack and read about flashing ROMs. New ROMs make WM devices usable.

I'm not necessarily after the Touch Pro. I'm essentially looking for a non-Blackberry or Iphone that I can use with Sprint's plan (which rules out Nokia as well, I believe), and what's most important to me is the typing, with web browsing second.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not necessarily after the Touch Pro. I'm essentially looking for a non-Blackberry or Iphone that I can use with Sprint's plan (which rules out Nokia as well, I believe), and what's most important to me is the typing, with web browsing second.

The iPhone will never work on Sprint, Sprint uses CDMA and the iPhone is GSM. Same with Nokia. The Treo Pro may work for you. It's $200 after a $100 MIR. So you'll walk out of the store paying $300 for the Treo Pro. But I would go with the Touch Pro off of eBay because the Touch Pro has the best keyboard out of any non-BlackBerry device on Sprint. Plus it being a HTC WM device guarantees it third-party support for quite a while (xda-developers). I would just bite the bullet now, spend an extra $100 and get the Touch Pro. It's a great device.

moloo
Oct 29, 2004

Douche Bag Extraordinaire
Iphone 3G or Iphone 3G S... My 72 year old Grandfather needs to know...

My grandfather decided he needs a new phone. He wants navigation and the ability to tether to a laptop (which he doesn't yet have) for internet access on the road.

I know the Iphone 3G can be tethered to a laptop if jailbroken, but it doesn't have the new compass feature. I originally thought the 3G S would have native tethering ability but that seems not to be the case. Money isn't really an issue here, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to have him buy an Iphone 3G S and wait for it to be jailbroken (which would probably be the same time that he buys a laptop). Or is the compass feature of the 3G S somewhat stupid and he should just get a iphone 3G?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah buying a Touch Pro from Sprint is a poo poo deal right now; get a used one and wait to activate Sprint service until the Pre is sold through EPRP (Sprint's "referral plan" customers are being treated like second-class citizens? Well, I never!) so that you can sell the Pre and retain some money. Then again, the Pre's OS is going to be much nicer than Windows Mobile's... but the device's keyboard is irrefutably worse than the Touch Pro's, which is best in class. That's a decision you'll have to make for yourself if you go down the Sprint rabbit hole.

Alternately you could just pay $10/month extra and get a better carrier and the best device selection possible by going with AT&T. $70/month buys you 450 minutes with rollover, free nights/weekends, unlimited text, and unlimited 3G data. If your employer or university is an AT&T partner, you can score a monthly percentage discount on top of that -- my school gets students 10% off AT&T service and employers are commonly able to reap anywhere from 5% - 28% off.

I never would have recommended giving AT&T 70 bucks a month in the SERO age, but now that Sprint thinks they're worth 86% the cost of a carrier that lets you buy phones from Amazon, Newegg, or wacky import shops and use them, AT&T's a much more attractive proposition.

Let us know what you decide carrier-wise and we can do a much better job helping you.

kbar fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 21, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

moloo posted:

My grandfather decided he needs a new phone. He wants navigation and the ability to tether to a laptop (which he doesn't yet have) for internet access on the road.

I know the Iphone 3G can be tethered to a laptop if jailbroken, but it doesn't have the new compass feature. I originally thought the 3G S would have native tethering ability but that seems not to be the case. Money isn't really an issue here, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to have him buy an Iphone 3G S and wait for it to be jailbroken (which would probably be the same time that he buys a laptop). Or is the compass feature of the 3G S somewhat stupid and he should just get a iphone 3G?
Does your grandpa enjoy playing bullshit cat and mouse games with Apple and AT&T? The jailbreaking tethering situation is this: new firmwares frequently break it, and jailbreaking itself can cause device performance instability woes. I'm cool with it right now and have been tethering mine, but I haven't updated my iPhone to 3.0, so I'm not getting the new features yet. I also spend more time than what a regular person will want to be hosed with reading/talking about cellphones on the internet and troubleshooting problems brought on by hacked foolishness.

A much better option that comes with a cheaper cellphone plan to boot is a Nokia smartphone + JoikuSpot Premium software. Seach Amazon for the Nokia 5800, Nokia E71, or Nokia N85. They're all cheap and awesome, and probably better fits for your gramps if he needs tethering.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

moloo posted:

Nokia N85 with JoikuSpot Premium. I don't recommend the E71 or 5800 because they're a bit irregular compared to the N85 and your grandfather may dislike that. Also, get the $15 MediaNET plan for him. It'll allow tethering.

Fetko
Oct 21, 2004
I'm currently on the Sprint SERO $30/mo plan with a slowly dying mogul. I'm out of my contract and trying to decide what to do next. My two choices right now are switch to ATT and go iphone 3g s or hold out with my SERO plan and hope the htc touch pro 2 comes out soon AND can be used on SERO (not holding my breath on that.)

So, I guess I have a couple questions. Is there a way to bring down the $90/mo iphone plan with 450 minutes and unlimited text/data? I can live with it, but it seems like a big jump each month over SERO. Is there any information about the touch pro 2 for sprint yet? I'd rather not wait 3 months to just find out that I can't use it on SERO anyway...

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Get on a family plan, see if your employer/university qualifies you for an AT&T service discount, do both, use the +$15/month data instead of the iPhone data (may not work for you long-term).

We got a five-line AT&T family plan with a 24% employer discount, all lines with unlimited text, 1400 shared minutes. Cost is $36.16/month per person for people using AT&T's "generic data" and $48.96/month per person for people using iPhone data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:

kalibar posted:

Yeah the E71 would be a decent choice too. I was just throwing 5800 out there because the huge screen would make it a pretty badass GPS, and other than "GPS and Google Maps" his requirements were astonishingly vague.

Thats pretty much my only requirements. I liked helio because it was simple phone that was easy to use. I liked the full qwerty keyboard, the dual slider and the mail center that would automatically check my gmail for me.

All I really need out of a phone is qwerty texting, gps google maps, a web browser and the ability to make the occasional phone call. If I can take pictures and record little videos with it, sweet. It seems like every new phone has all this extra bullshit that I will never use (mp3 player, movie downloaders, oven toasters) and all I really want it to do is tell me where I am, check my email and send a text message or two.