Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CSi-NA-EJ7
Feb 21, 2007

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Crossposted from the free magazine megathread in coupons, Free Sport Rider subscription.

Way to tease me. The Free-ness has run out :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Why hello there, are you new around here?

KTM 990 SMT -as in SuperMotoTouring
Same bike as the 990 SM only with a proper seat, a half fairing, luggage rack and mounting points for panniers, pillion space, etc. Basically a loving awesome hypermoto that is actually useful for going places. Sign me up! Only down side is the 196kg curb weight and she ain't that pretty. Oh and I'm in no position to be running out buying a brand new bike.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I'll be very interested in hearing more about that and seeing what it actually rides like. How supermoto is it to distinguish itself from the Adventure as a tourer.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Spiffness posted:

I'll be very interested in hearing more about that and seeing what it actually rides like. How supermoto is it to distinguish itself from the Adventure as a tourer.

Everything that KTM is calling "SMT" is basically just a "standard". Obviously, they can't get off as a seller of Austrian Exotica as saying they're selling standards, but the duke/superduke/SMT are all just standards with pretty plastics.

I'd bet money that the SMT is essentially an Adventure with less suspension travel and 17s.

(Note, none of this is a bad thing. I just find it amusing that the new word for standard is -----motard)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I keep seeing this. What is the actual difference between a motard and a standard and what makes that more standard than motard?

Not being snarky, I'm really curious.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Everything that KTM is calling "SMT" is basically just a "standard". Obviously, they can't get off as a seller of Austrian Exotica as saying they're selling standards, but the duke/superduke/SMT are all just standards with pretty plastics.

I'd bet money that the SMT is essentially an Adventure with less suspension travel and 17s.

(Note, none of this is a bad thing. I just find it amusing that the new word for standard is -----motard)

well, the SMT is a 990 SM, which isn't an Adventure. How similar or different you think they are is up to you. They seem pretty different to me, spec wise (accepting the fact that a small company like KTM isn't going to have the same quantity of different platforms as say Honda).
Nothing wrong with standards, but it's such a wide and all-encompassing label that everything from a Rebel 250 to an FZ-1 to a Pegaso Strada (but not Trail, even though it's essentially identical) gets included.
Why don't we just get all automotive and call the SMT a crossover? :)

Man A
Jan 14, 2006

natures clown
Why do people seem to hate Harleys so much? I don't have much experience with bikes yet but I always thought they were pretty cool.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

Why don't we just get all automotive and call the SMT a crossover? :)

You mean a wagon?

Actually that's a really apt comparison; this SMT is to UJMs as crossovers with truckish styling are to your mom's old woodpanel. :iiaca:

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Linedance posted:

well, the SMT is a 990 SM, which isn't an Adventure.

There's no manufacturer in the world that does, or will ever, make a 990cc Supermoto bike.

I think this is what zen is saying, not saying that it is nothing like the KTM 'SM'

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Man A posted:

Why do people seem to hate Harleys so much? I don't have much experience with bikes yet but I always thought they were pretty cool.

On average the riders tend to be asshats, have the loudest possible exhaust systems, and flaunt their 30k bikes at any chance they can. Oh yea leak oil, belt drive, bla bla

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Man A posted:

They're the ultimate poser-mobile, the embodiment of style over substance. And if you don't like that style (I don't) then there's absolutely nothing left that a Harley does well.

Big, fat, slow, inefficient and expensive.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Endless Mike posted:

I keep seeing this. What is the actual difference between a motard and a standard and what makes that more standard than motard?

Not being snarky, I'm really curious.

Motard typically refered to a dirtbike on 17 inch wheels. They were characterized by being light, able to do jumps/wheelies/stoppies, but also having absurd traction on the street due to super sticky race rubber and they lean for days.

A "standard" is really just defined by it's seating position. Feet under you, and a fairly neutral reach to the bars. Most dirtbikes fall under that catagory.

So any supermoto could be considered a standard, but not all standards are supermotos.

quote:

well, the SMT is a 990 SM, which isn't an Adventure. How similar or different you think they are is up to you. They seem pretty different to me, spec wise (accepting the fact that a small company like KTM isn't going to have the same quantity of different platforms as say Honda).
Nothing wrong with standards, but it's such a wide and all-encompassing label that everything from a Rebel 250 to an FZ-1 to a Pegaso Strada (but not Trail, even though it's essentially identical) gets included.
Why don't we just get all automotive and call the SMT a crossover?

Well, you're right in that it's just the platform/engine that's the same, with different specialities. I was more just amused at the fact that everyone wants a "motard" in the lineup these days, despite the fact that the only thing they have in common with motards is funny little fenders mounted up high :)

On the Harley front, don't forget "Lifestyle Marketing". The're actually fun to scoot around on, it's just that there's a lot of baggage that seems to come with riding a harley.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 18, 2009

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

aventari posted:

They're the ultimate poser-mobile, the embodiment of style over substance. And if you don't like that style (I don't) then there's absolutely nothing left that a Harley does well.

Big, fat, slow, inefficient and expensive.

Pretty much this. I used to hate them and the riders of them with everyone else.. But since becoming a motobiker I've actually kinda started to like them :unsmith:

Plus they seem to wave back at me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anyone in SE Wisconsin owes it to themselves to make the trip to Waynes Diner in Cedarburg.

Every Wednesday night, the Honda dealer next to them puts on a free dyno shootout in the parking lot of Waynes.

I went tonight on the Bandit, and tossed it on the Dyno. All you have to do is sign a waiver, and have good tires, and they'll do 3 pulls on the dyno with your bike. Of course since there were bikes like ZX10's and such there, I was nowhere near winning the dyno shootout, but it was fun, and hey, I got my bike dynoed for free.

They dont use the sniffer, or give you torque values, but for free, at least you get a horsepower readout.

119.86HP isnt bad, honestly I didnt expect it to do more than 110.

Click here for the full 1280x1120 image.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Anyone in SE Wisconsin owes it to themselves to make the trip to Waynes Diner in Cedarburg.

Every Wednesday night, the Honda dealer next to them puts on a free dyno shootout in the parking lot of Waynes.

I went tonight on the Bandit, and tossed it on the Dyno. All you have to do is sign a waiver, and have good tires, and they'll do 3 pulls on the dyno with your bike. Of course since there were bikes like ZX10's and such there, I was nowhere near winning the dyno shootout, but it was fun, and hey, I got my bike dynoed for free.

They dont use the sniffer, or give you torque values, but for free, at least you get a horsepower readout.

119.86HP isnt bad, honestly I didnt expect it to do more than 110.

Click here for the full 1280x1120 image.

Nice! When are you going to go drag that bad boy? I wonder what the ZZR1200 puts out...

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Man A posted:

My neighbor has one.

He also has straight pipes. And he loves riding at night, I guess. rear end in a top hat, other people are trying to sleep.

I like the bikes themselves, especially the older(Mid 60's i'm talking about) ones, it's just the people that give them a bad name.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Nice! When are you going to go drag that bad boy? I wonder what the ZZR1200 puts out...

Pretty soon, I'm trying to get some riding buddies together to go dragracing and make a night of it.

All this dyno pull did was make me want to buy headers, a midpipe and GSXR cams. I KNOW I CAN MAKE MORE POWER!!!

In fact, there was another guy there on a 2000 Bandit 12 just like mine. We both had the same mods, but he had a K&N filter and an ignition advancer. He made 122hp :argh:

EDIT: What are the ZZR12's supposed to make stock?

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 18, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Phat_Albert posted:

Pretty soon, I'm trying to get some riding buddies together to go dragracing and make a night of it.

All this dyno pull did was make me want to buy headers, a midpipe and GSXR cams. I KNOW I CAN MAKE MORE POWER!!!

In fact, there was another guy there on a 2000 Bandit 12 just like mine. We both had the same mods, but he had a K&N filter and an ignition advancer. He made 122hp :argh:

EDIT: What are the ZZR12's supposed to make stock?

158hp at the engine, probably in the 140 range at the rear wheel. I slammed it open in first today and it just flat out overwhelmed the rear tire. Not something I'm used to, coming off the SV. Pretty entertaining stuff. :D

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, I guess it's better that it overwhelms the rear, rather than sitting your rear end back down on the pavement. :v:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Dubs posted:

There's no manufacturer in the world that does, or will ever, make a 990cc Supermoto bike.

I think this is what zen is saying, not saying that it is nothing like the KTM 'SM'

while I agree that a bike like the 990 SM is straying a bit from the hardcore definition of a supermotard, it isn't the only bike in this category. Ducati makes the Hypermotard, BMW makes the HP2 Megamoto. Aprilia has the Dosoduro which is a 750 "supermoto", even though they also make the SXV 4.5 and 5.5.
My Pegaso Strada is a street version of their dual-sport Pegaso Trail. If a supermoto is a dirt bike with street tires and a road biased suspension, then what's a dual sport, or "sort of dirt bike" with street tires and a road biased suspension?
I think crossover works pretty well actually!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
just thought i'd share some KTM :hellyeah:s with everybody.

a while ago i got a 1995 ktm 440 2-stroke.

yes, 440cc.

and then later i got a 1985 ninja 900.

got em both running, rode em around a bit. the ninja isn't exactly a busa, but it's supposed to have 115hp which is a new record for my lovely bikes. i took it out the other day and got it to the redline WOT in 2nd gear.

it was exciting, no doubt, but let me tell you it was not that big a deal compared to 3/4 throttle on the 440. that thing is totally nuts. the guy i got it from, when the engine was blown, is a dirt bike dealer guy. so he's like an expert dirt rider and poo poo. and even he said it scared him when he rode it once after i fixed it.

so if you ever have the chance to buy a big bore 2 stroke, don't. it'll just kill you.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

yes, 440cc.

Just incase you're all wondering, this bike encourages good enduro standing position because if you sit down your teeth will rattle out.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Daaamn, you have any videos of that firesmoke breathing dragon, Rev. Dr.?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

dietcokefiend posted:

On average the riders tend to be asshats, have the loudest possible exhaust systems, and flaunt their 30k bikes at any chance they can. Oh yea leak oil, belt drive, bla bla

The bikes themselves are nice bikes. They haven't leaked oil in 30 years. There's nothing wrong with the belt drives. Sure you can get a metric cruiser cheaper, but there's really nothing wrong with them anymore.

Harley owners do tend to have a rep though, just like sportbikers tend to get a rep thanks to street stuntin' squids. Similarly, most harley owners are fine - it's the ones with the bad attitude that ruin it for the rest.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Spiffness posted:

It's my observation that a big thumper engine with FI has a hard time running smooth at constant throttle. The KTM just does not like going at a constant boring speed. The solution?

A) Rev the piss out of it
B) Constantly accellerate

I think I'm fine with this.

Also, dirtbikers, is there a trick to gripping a violently decellerating dirt bike with your body? Sport bikes are easy enough to grip the tank and use the seat to plant you in place so you don't apply pressure on the bars when stopping but I was noticing during my track day that under really hard braking I was putting more force into the bars than I really wanted to. It's possible to squeeze the bike a bit with your knees but it's not nearly as effective with a skinny slippery surface such as the KTM's meager plastics.

Are you sitting right up near the front of the tank where the plastics get wider for the radiator? That should allow you to squeeze the tank a bit more. In addition you should be able to squeeze the bike with your lower legs as well. In addition you can use a gripper seat which really helps as well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

The bikes themselves are nice bikes. They haven't leaked oil in 30 years. There's nothing wrong with the belt drives. Sure you can get a metric cruiser cheaper, but there's really nothing wrong with them anymore.

Harley owners do tend to have a rep though, just like sportbikers tend to get a rep thanks to street stuntin' squids. Similarly, most harley owners are fine - it's the ones with the bad attitude that ruin it for the rest.

This, basically. I would trust any new Harley as far as I would trust any new Japanese bike.

Are Harleys too expensive? Yeah, I think so, but if people werent willing to pay those prices, Harley wouldnt charge them.

There are a group of complete idiots who ruin it for the rest, just like any other culture.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
At my advanced MSF course the instructor wouldn't stop talking about how much his Harley is a piece of poo poo, said he had 45k into it just to keep it running. And the dealers forget you exist after you buy the bike except to screw you out of your warranty.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
By not wearing a helmet, you help increase the amount of organ donations in your state. More of a reason not to wear a lid; in addition to letting freedom enter the ground, you become a more helpful citizen.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

At my advanced MSF course the instructor wouldn't stop talking about how much his Harley is a piece of poo poo, said he had 45k into it just to keep it running. And the dealers forget you exist after you buy the bike except to screw you out of your warranty.

How is this even possible? I keep reading things like that in AI about people putting however many thousands into a car that's clearly not worth it, only to flog it on CL to get rid of it. At some point it must become clear that the tipping point has been reached, right?

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Chris Knight posted:

How is this even possible? I keep reading things like that in AI about people putting however many thousands into a car that's clearly not worth it, only to flog it on CL to get rid of it. At some point it must become clear that the tipping point has been reached, right?

Depending on the Harley, $45k is the bike, chrome, and a few years of standard maintenance.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Just like car dealers, there are plenty of douchebag Harley dealerships. But 45k sounds way too high, even if he's counting the price he paid for the bike.

While we're on the subject of Harleys, the factory demo truck is at my dealership this weekend. If the weather holds out, I'll be trying out at least one or two bikes. If anyone wants a ride report on something from a 140 lb guy who's never ridden anything bigger than my Blast or dirt bikes, let me know.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Deeters posted:

Just like car dealers, there are plenty of douchebag Harley dealerships. But 45k sounds way too high, even if he's counting the price he paid for the bike.

While we're on the subject of Harleys, the factory demo truck is at my dealership this weekend. If the weather holds out, I'll be trying out at least one or two bikes. If anyone wants a ride report on something from a 140 lb guy who's never ridden anything bigger than my Blast or dirt bikes, let me know.

1200 Sportster and V-rod

The rest are stupid.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

Deeters posted:

Think theres a chance they'll have one of the new XR 1,200's? Those things look sweet, Popular Mechanics is giving one away (you can enter at https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/subscribe/popularmechanics/34961 if you want, I did.) and they're about eight different kinds of Awesome.

And the Freakonomics book is a good read too!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Simkin posted:

Daaamn, you have any videos of that firesmoke breathing dragon, Rev. Dr.?

not one that shows how stupid it is, (accidental 12 oclock wheelies etc) just a simple jump or two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPJyw79kvuE

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Chairon posted:

Think theres a chance they'll have one of the new XR 1,200's?

The XR was the one bike I was looking forward to ride, and someone at the last stop totaled it.

They have a Nightster (the blacked out 1200), which I'll definitely be taking. I'll try to get on a VROD too.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Doctor Zero posted:

Pretty much this but I find the biggest asshats are young guys who don't even ride, that yell dumb poo poo like, "GET A HARLEY!!!" Admittedly I like the sound and you can have loud pipes and not be an rear end in a top hat. Truthfully loud pipes bother me a lot less than posers who trailer their bikes to go on a ride. The guys who brag their bikes have never been in the rain... etc.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

wormil posted:

Pretty much this but I find the biggest asshats are young guys who don't even ride, that yell dumb poo poo like, "GET A HARLEY!!!"

I get this a lot too for some reason. Sometimes guys will just straight up be like "pfff nice Suzuki, couldnt afford a Harley, huh? :smug:".

Just the other day, some guy at work saw me getting on my bike and said "you still have that riceburner? I'd have thought you'd upgraded to a bimmer or something by now." :wtc:

Then again, I see a good amount of the real oldschool custom chopper guys bagging on the harley riders about not having built their bikes and whatnot.

It comes from all angles.

For a group that really should all be cool with each other if for no other reason than we're all on two wheels, the motorcycle culture is filled with infighting and petty poo poo.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

I get this a lot too for some reason. Sometimes guys will just straight up be like "pfff nice Suzuki, couldnt afford a Harley, huh? :smug:".

Just the other day, some guy at work saw me getting on my bike and said "you still have that riceburner? I'd have thought you'd upgraded to a bimmer or something by now." :wtc:

Then again, I see a good amount of the real oldschool custom chopper guys bagging on the harley riders about not having built their bikes and whatnot.

It comes from all angles.

For a group that really should all be cool with each other if for no other reason than we're all on two wheels, the motorcycle culture is filled with infighting and petty poo poo.

Most of the guys on scooters near me are loving douchebags with no sense of lane position, right of way or safety gear beyond 3/4 helmets. I haven't actually talked to any of them yet, though...

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Gnaghi posted:

And the dealers forget you exist after you buy the bike except to screw you out of your warranty.

Yeah, that's bullshit. The dealers of other manufacturers all send me birthday cards and fruitcakes at Christmas. :wtc: do you mean "forget you exist"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
Finally got (yet another) pair of forks for the FZR, these off a 2005 YZF. Should have it back on the road in a week or two :dance: