Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Soopafly posted:

Local businesses will charge a little more, but will service you for free most of the time

and they might also do maintenance on your bass!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
So glad I ran across this thread. A ton of great info guys, thanks so much. Awesome thread.

It's great timing I found this, I bought this bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpH2Mk1ItvM&NR=1 about 2 weeks ago for $149 on sale at GC and a Line 6 amp. I picked up the Improvisor's Bass Method and Bass Fitness, and started jamming away. I completely suck so far, but I'm really enjoying the bass more than guitar. I think it's mostly because my hands aren't dextrous enough for 6 strings.

After reading the thread, I'm seriously considering selling my new Laguna and picking up the Squier VM J Bass. I love the big heavy bass, I'm not really a fan of the look of the cutaway I've found. Or do I just get new strings and a setup on the Laguna? Too many decisions....

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

trotski posted:

So glad I ran across this thread. A ton of great info guys, thanks so much. Awesome thread.

It's great timing I found this, I bought this bass http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpH2Mk1ItvM&NR=1 about 2 weeks ago for $149 on sale at GC and a Line 6 amp. I picked up the Improvisor's Bass Method and Bass Fitness, and started jamming away. I completely suck so far, but I'm really enjoying the bass more than guitar. I think it's mostly because my hands aren't dextrous enough for 6 strings.

After reading the thread, I'm seriously considering selling my new Laguna and picking up the Squier VM J Bass. I love the big heavy bass, I'm not really a fan of the look of the cutaway I've found. Or do I just get new strings and a setup on the Laguna? Too many decisions....

I'd spend some more time on the Laguna, then upgrade; 6 months maybe unless you're just DYING to get a new bass. Save up some more money and you may even be able to skip over the Squier to something even better.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Scarf posted:

I'd spend some more time on the Laguna, then upgrade; 6 months maybe unless you're just DYING to get a new bass. Save up some more money and you may even be able to skip over the Squier to something even better.

Seconded.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, be prepared to not get jack-poo poo for your used Laguna when you do sell it. Like, be thrilled if you get about $75 for it.

Honestly, just give it to some kid who wants to learn bass :)

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

trotski posted:

That bass looks pretty ok, from what I can tell.
One small thing I can tell you about learning is that your right hand position is really important. By that, I mean where you pluck. I don't know where you do now, but try close to the bridge (not too close, just right over that pickup). It's a small thing to mention and I'm coming out of nowhere with it, but it took me a few years of playing to realize.
Of course, it's all a preference thing. I pluck all over, depending on what I'm playing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

dissin department posted:

That bass looks pretty ok, from what I can tell.
One small thing I can tell you about learning is that your right hand position is really important. By that, I mean where you pluck. I don't know where you do now, but try close to the bridge (not too close, just right over that pickup). It's a small thing to mention and I'm coming out of nowhere with it, but it took me a few years of playing to realize.
Of course, it's all a preference thing. I pluck all over, depending on what I'm playing.

Yeah, that has more to do with tone than anything. You'll get a much "tighter" and distinct sound the closer you get to the bridge. Plus some people find that the higher string-tension near the bridge makes it easier to move fast across the strings. I prefer to be in the "sweet spot" near the middle between the end of the fretboard and the bridge.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Cool, thanks for the advice. I wasn't really worried about how much I get for the Laguna, I'm more than happy to donate it. Donated my last guitar to a school music program.

I did notice it's a little easier to move around with my right hand closer to the bridge, I don't like the tone as much. The pickups where I rest my thumb are really close to the bridge on the Laguna, unfortunately. I'd rather be closer to the sweet spot that Scarf mentioned.

After the first few days of working out of the Bass Fitness book, I can really feel it in my left wrist/forearm.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Also make sure to work on moving where your thumb is anchored (if you're using your fingers). I made the mistake of leaving my thumb anchored on the pickup for my first month or so of play and the difference in ease between playing like that and anchoring youre thumb on the string above the one your playing is like the difference between night and day. When you're thumb is always anchored close to the string your playing then you'll find yourself using a uniform plucking motion for all the strings, which is immensely helpful.

Also I'm a huge Bass Fitness fan! After getting over the initial week or so of soreness I made sure to complete a single part of the book a day and repeat it before moving on. I've gone through the whole book about 4 times and increased the bpm I play at and I love remembering just a few months ago when I couldn't even fathom doing what I can do now.

buttslave
Jun 8, 2007
Onwards and Upwards!
So when I first picked up bass playing I was able to write a whole bunch of things (although shittily) but recently I've been stuck in the habit of playing the same stuff over and over again. Are there any suggestions as how to get some inspiration/unblock my mind?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dundee McFluffers posted:

So when I first picked up bass playing I was able to write a whole bunch of things (although shittily) but recently I've been stuck in the habit of playing the same stuff over and over again. Are there any suggestions as how to get some inspiration/unblock my mind?

Couple of things I do to help that. 1) Start listening to new bands, especially ones in different genres. 2) Go back and re-learn the modes/scales and just play them in different sequences.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Also, transcribe as much as you can. You'll find that other bassists have come up with nifty patterns in the past, and can help break you out of the box.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen it, there's a nifty video of Larry Dimarzio interviewing Roger Sadowsky at his shop, so you can see how they make all those basses that you'll never be able to afford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSJtt41VLKo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfjYC2mcPZc

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Another noob question:

Is the "Pro Setup" really a better investment than a regular setup?

I returned the Laguna and went back to get the Squier VM J-Bass (I know, I'm an idiot), and the guy told me if I got a pro setup on it, it'd sound like a real J-bass. Thoughts? $120 for a pro setup for a ~$280 guitar seems a little steep to me, but I wanted to ask.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

trotski posted:

Another noob question:

Is the "Pro Setup" really a better investment than a regular setup?

I returned the Laguna and went back to get the Squier VM J-Bass (I know, I'm an idiot), and the guy told me if I got a pro setup on it, it'd sound like a real J-bass. Thoughts? $120 for a pro setup for a ~$280 guitar seems a little steep to me, but I wanted to ask.

You'd be getting ripped the gently caress off... Unless he's talking about replacing hardware, a "setup" consists of a truss-rod adjustment, intonation adjustment, and string-height adjustment. And MAYBE checking the wiring on the pickups and such.

At most it should cost like $30 for a setup.

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Scarf posted:

You'd be getting ripped the gently caress off... Unless he's talking about replacing hardware, a "setup" consists of a truss-rod adjustment, intonation adjustment, and string-height adjustment. And MAYBE checking the wiring on the pickups and such.

Seconded.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Scarf posted:

loving thirded, 120 bucks for a setup is outrageous. On top of that, what you're getting will always sound like what it is: a Squier. Nothing inherently bad about that, but it'll never sound as good as Fender's higher end models.

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Figured, it sounded like rape. Thanks guys.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

dissin department posted:

Different strokes... I play right off the fretboard... I can be much more precise that way, and gets a percussive hit sound that I like.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

trotski posted:

Figured, it sounded like rape. Thanks guys.

What store was this anyway so I can be sure to NEVER go there?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Speaking of setups, I've been mostly self-servicing after getting fed up paying each time I wanted to adjust anything. It's been quite enriching, and so far I haven't broken anything. *fingers crossed* :3:

Anyhow, there is a little something that's been bothering me. My E string is considerably lower than my other three, so that whenever I adjust it so the action is perfect for A-D-G, my E string keeps buzzing. If I do the contrary and setup for E, then my action isn't at this sweet 2-3mm distance I've come to love. Basically, if I were to take a cross section of my strings at the 12th fret, I guess it'd look roughly like this:

Now this'd be something that normally gets fixed at the bridge, but my bridge doesn't have any individual string height adjustments. It seems to be a standard bridge for all SG-type basses, with three screws being the overall height adjustment.

I figure I have two alternatives:

1. Use the intonation screws to slightly raise/lower the strings to straighten them up. Of course, that'd also kill intonation so I'd likely end up with one flat harmonic and three sharp ones. Not good.

2. File down the A-D-G string slots in the nut. This is pretty much irreversible though so I'd rather keep it as a last resort. But now that I look at it closely, it looks like the E string slot was already filed during one of the three previous setups I had done. :doh:

So before I do it, has anyone messed with one of these bridges before that could tell if there's something I haven't thought of?

Jan fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 24, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Speaking of setups, I've been mostly self-servicing after getting fed up paying each time I wanted to adjust anything. It's been quite enriching, and so far I haven't broken anything. *fingers crossed* :3:

Anyhow, there is a little something that's been bothering me. My E string is considerably lower than my other three, so that whenever I adjust it so the action is perfect for A-D-G, my E string keeps buzzing. If I do the contrary and setup for E, then my action isn't at this sweet 2-3mm distance I've come to love. Basically, if I were to take a cross section of my strings at the 12th fret, I guess it'd look roughly like this:

Now this'd be something that normally gets fixed at the bridge, but my bridge doesn't have any individual string height adjustments. It seems to be a standard bridge for all SG-type basses, with three screws being the overall height adjustment.

I figure I have two alternatives:

1. Use the intonation screws to slightly raise/lower the strings to straighten them up. Of course, that'd also kill intonation so I'd likely end up with one flat harmonic and three sharp ones. Not good.

2. File down the A-D-G string slots in the nut. This is pretty much irreversible though so I'd rather keep it as a last resort. But now that I look at it closely, it looks like the E string slot was already filed during one of the three previous setups I had done. :doh:

So before I do it, has anyone messed with one of these bridges before that could tell if there's something I haven't thought of?

IMO that's one of the major faults of the 3-point bridge... If the saddle was already filed down (what I'm assuming you mean when you say "nut" in this context), then you may need to look into a new bridge. Other than that, it's just going to take a lot of adjustment across all the points on the bridge to get it where you want. Raise the E side, lower the middle and G side, etc. etc.

But if you want to drop a little cash on it... look into a Hipshot SuperTone bridge, should be a direct drop-in replacement for a Gibson 3-point, and it'll let you adjust the height of each saddle independently.

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=264

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Nope, it doesn't even have a saddle, per se, unless you count the individual intonation points on the bridge. And those are definitely intact. I meant the nut, on the head.

I saw that bridge when searching around, but I do like the look of the Gibson 3-way bridge so if I can I'd rather not change it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jan posted:

Nope, it doesn't even have a saddle, per se, unless you count the individual intonation points on the bridge. And those are definitely intact. I meant the nut, on the head.

I saw that bridge when searching around, but I do like the look of the Gibson 3-way bridge so if I can I'd rather not change it.

Ahhh. Well then you may need to get a new nut cut and installed for it.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Gibson bridges can be pretty weird. My main bass is a Gibson Les Paul, and tinkering with the bridge to get the action where I want it has been a real chore.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

Scarf posted:

Ahhh. Well then you may need to get a new nut cut and installed for it.

I guess I could buy a new one in case I can't get my current one to work by filing the other three strings down and maybe adding a shim. Right now I'd say the E string is almost at its limit, so I can probably use it for a few months without a shim or replacement before the whole nut is worn out.

Seventh Arrow posted:

Gibson bridges can be pretty weird. My main bass is a Gibson Les Paul, and tinkering with the bridge to get the action where I want it has been a real chore.

I've been wondering about Gibson basses. They're not seen nearly as often as Fender J-basses and lookalikes, in spite of Gibson being a pretty huge brand when it comes to guitars in general. I love my Epiphone EB-3, love the sound of it, and have been thinking of getting a Gibson EB-3 (short scale, to reduce the dreaded neck dive) when I feel ready to invest in a four digit figure instrument. Would your Les Paul has been worth it over, say, a Fender MIA or another comparably priced instrument?

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Jan posted:

I guess I could buy a new one in case I can't get my current one to work by filing the other three strings down and maybe adding a shim. Right now I'd say the E string is almost at its limit, so I can probably use it for a few months without a shim or replacement before the whole nut is worn out.

I've been wondering about Gibson basses. They're not seen nearly as often as Fender J-basses and lookalikes, in spite of Gibson being a pretty huge brand when it comes to guitars in general. I love my Epiphone EB-3, love the sound of it, and have been thinking of getting a Gibson EB-3 (short scale, to reduce the dreaded neck dive) when I feel ready to invest in a four digit figure instrument. Would your Les Paul has been worth it over, say, a Fender MIA or another comparably priced instrument?

I own a Gibson EB-0 and love it. It's the previous incarnation of the EB-3. It sounds fat and chunky, just like you would expect, and the action is smooth, even for a 40-year old bass. Just make sure you can play it before you buy it, and do a thorough inspection of the whole thing.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Jan posted:

I love my Epiphone EB-3, love the sound of it, and have been thinking of getting a Gibson EB-3 (short scale, to reduce the dreaded neck dive) when I feel ready to invest in a four digit figure instrument. Would your Les Paul has been worth it over, say, a Fender MIA or another comparably priced instrument?

Yes, but I had something specific in mind when I bought it. I was curious about Darkstar pickups, so when deciding what kind of bass I would put them in, I figured a big, heavy chunk of maple would suit me just fine. So I had customization in mind from the get-go...that said, it sounds amazing. Lots of bite and presence, but still versatile.

So if you're trying to decide between a Fender and a Gibson, then I guess that doesn't help much...nevertheless, I think they do make good basses, although the sound might be a bit too 'raw' for, say, jazz.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yes, but I had something specific in mind when I bought it. I was curious about Darkstar pickups, so when deciding what kind of bass I would put them in, I figured a big, heavy chunk of maple would suit me just fine. So I had customization in mind from the get-go...that said, it sounds amazing. Lots of bite and presence, but still versatile.

So if you're trying to decide between a Fender and a Gibson, then I guess that doesn't help much...nevertheless, I think they do make good basses, although the sound might be a bit too 'raw' for, say, jazz.

Awesome darkstar action there.

The one thing about Gibsons (at least in their stock form) is that they're a bit of a one-trick pony. Granted they do that one trick amazingly well... but they really aren't versatile.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Scarf posted:

Awesome darkstar action there.

The one thing about Gibsons (at least in their stock form) is that they're a bit of a one-trick pony. Granted they do that one trick amazingly well... but they really aren't versatile.

Thanks!

I think you're right for the majority of what Gibson puts out - good for rock, blues, maybe r & b, but not good for jazz or softer types of music. I think the one exception, though, is Gibson's Money Bass. I tried one out, and it really does have a nice smooth kind of sound that would work well in a lot of contexts. Nice, fast neck too.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Thanks!

I think you're right for the majority of what Gibson puts out - good for rock, blues, maybe r & b, but not good for jazz or softer types of music. I think the one exception, though, is Gibson's Money Bass. I tried one out, and it really does have a nice smooth kind of sound that would work well in a lot of contexts. Nice, fast neck too.

Yeah. All that said though, I'd kill for a nice EB-2 :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Is that the short-scale one? I really dislike short-scale basses...like Jack Bruce says, "I feel like I'm playing a toy!"

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Is that the short-scale one? I really dislike short-scale basses...like Jack Bruce says, "I feel like I'm playing a toy!"
Not sure if it's a shortscale or not, but hey, the EB-0 and 3 were shorties... It's the hollowbody:

I don't mind the feel of short-scales, plus they have an awesome mellow sound, much rounder on the top-end than standard scale length basses.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Here's a great representation of the sounds you can get from a shorty hollowbody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSUjhcJaPo

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

There's one hollowbody I'd give a kidney for:

Lakland, baby :love:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Yeah... That's actually #1 on my list of basses to buy.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I'm tempted to save up my pennies for it too, but meh. I already have four basses - the Les Paul, a Danelectro with flatwounds, an 8-string, and a Fender fretless. I think I'm good for the time being, until we can get some more gigs to justify whimsical spending habits.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Seventh Arrow posted:

Always have wanted, always will want. Darkstar pickups are absolutely stellar. If only they weren't so goofy looking on most basses. Lakland really needs to design a non-dark ages of bass design pickup cover for them.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Indi86 posted:

Always have wanted, always will want. Darkstar pickups are absolutely stellar. If only they weren't so goofy looking on most basses. Lakland really needs to design a non-dark ages of bass design pickup cover for them.

Lakland doesn't actually make darkstar pickups. Instead, they're made (and hand-wound, I might add) by a guy named Fred Hammon:

http://www.hammoneng.com/

They did appear on a few Laklands though, either the Joe Osborn or the Bob Glaub basses, I'm not sure which. I think their Chi-Sonic pickups were supposed to be something along the same lines, though.

Darkstars are interesting because they force you to really pay attention to your right hand. They're really sensitive to dynamics, so when you first play them, they're all CLONG CLONG CLONG. So you have to learn how to use a lighter touch and really control your dynamics. They really cut through though, and very high output.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Seventh Arrow posted:

Lakland doesn't actually make darkstar pickups. Instead, they're made (and hand-wound, I might add) by a guy named Fred Hammon:

http://www.hammoneng.com/

They did appear on a few Laklands though, either the Joe Osborn or the Bob Glaub basses, I'm not sure which. I think their Chi-Sonic pickups were supposed to be something along the same lines, though.

Darkstars are interesting because they force you to really pay attention to your right hand. They're really sensitive to dynamics, so when you first play them, they're all CLONG CLONG CLONG. So you have to learn how to use a lighter touch and really control your dynamics. They really cut through though, and very high output.

Yeah, and there's a lot of room for user error with the DSs considering each pole piece can be adjusted individually. They were originally on the Decade bass as well. Dan developed the Chi-Sonic pickups to essentially take the place of the Darkstars. From the Lakland FAQ:

quote:

Q. Why has Lakland switched to their own brand of pickups and what is the relationship between Lakland and Hanson electronics?

A. The switch to proprietary electronics was driven mainly by supply chain management issues and increased production requirements. Because of our company's growth, it was becoming more difficult to source parts from multiple suppliers. We are committed to maintaining and exceeding our quality standards, so the vertical integration of the company has been painstaking and slow. We absolutely can not jeopardize the reputation of quality that we've spent years earning. Hanson electronics is managed separately from Lakland but functions as a sister company. We occupy the same building and work together daily. All R&D for the Lakland products is done on site with both Hanson and Lakland employees.

Initially, the plan was to develop a product that would produce a warm classic sound, reminiscent of Hagstrom Bi-Sonics,” says Lakland founder and president, Dan Lakin. “But when we got to the five-string version, the Alnicos weren't giving us the output we wanted. Once we went to the Neodymium magnets, a whole world of other possibilities suddenly opened up. Now we have passive pickups that can deliver the clarity and output of many active systems, and active humbuckers that offer unparalleled frequency response and output quality. The result is an incredible variety of choices in terms of bass tone, including tone similar to that heard on a fully mixed recording.

The Chi-Sonics aren't quite as vintage sounding as the DSs, they're more of a hybrid pickup. They retain a more vintage sound in the lows and low-mids, but have some modern bite when you get up farther into the mids and the highs.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jun 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Can anyone recommend a good intro to bass book that is written entirely in sheet music rather than tabs? I play the tuba so I'm already really comfortable reading bass clef.