Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

Purchased this week:

Clavia Nord Lead 3

Access Virus TI

Hopefully next week:

Moog Voyager

can I ask how/why you're purchasing three crazy rear end synths in a week? you should probably send me the virus till you learn the other two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

stun runner posted:

can I ask how/why you're purchasing three crazy rear end synths in a week? you should probably send me the virus till you learn the other two
They're the product of "There's no way I'll win this auction with such a low bid. Someone'll snipe it at the last second." And then I win the auction! I also received a pretty big check recently so I'm fulfilling an old ambition to deck out my studio.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 18, 2009

archie
Sep 16, 2003

Mr Lee! Why You No Wear Uniform?
nord lead and a virus. what a waste of money.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Jimix posted:

I think the same was true for old jazzmasters/jaguars till Nirvana, et. al came around
Yeah though I'd say that's a different phenomena, copycat demand. Somebody gets famous while using some piece of gear that isn't popular and suddenly everyone wants that item. There are lots of examples. Ten years ago an Ovation Ultra GP was cheaper (inflation-adjusted) than they were in the 70s. Then Queens of the Stone Age got famous with Josh playing his and now people pay $5000 for them on eBay. It ain't $5000 worth of guitar, but the internet sure is full of pictures of a rock star with one!

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

archie posted:

nord lead and a virus. what a waste of money.

what are you talking about

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
My new toy: An Aguilar GS112NT to match up with the baby stack. It sounds spectacular, as I'd expected. Got it for 405 shipped, thanks to a promo at theperfectbass.com. Next up on my list of things-to-buy is a hard cased pedal board or a Korg MicroSynth. Geeeaaarrrrr

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

I'm fulfilling an old ambition to deck out my studio.
I, too, share this dream, only replace "deck out" with "create"

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Well done, that looks like a killer stack!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

mr_package posted:

what are you talking about

They can do the same old poo poo. the virus has 90 voices or whatever so it can do everything the nord can.

Sell all 3 get a cs 80.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008
A Yamaha CS-80? No thanks. You know they're over 200 lbs, right?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
edit to make this post useful:

My brother has a Nord Lead and it is pretty sexy. Although it needs some repair, the power is all wonky and sometimes it won't turn on properly.

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 19, 2009

RailFan92
Nov 4, 2007
Picked up a Gretsch 5129 off ebay and am absolutely loving it so far.

(Image from ebay since my personal camera is terrible.)

Aki.
Mar 12, 2007

A goblin in the works.
Nice buy on the Gretsch. How much did it set you back if you don't mind me asking? How does it play?

RailFan92
Nov 4, 2007
Plays great, action is nice and low. Took a bit to get used to the size of it, but it's surprisingly light for as big as it is.

Set me back $545 shipped.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Indi86 posted:

Next up on my list of things-to-buy is a hard cased pedal board or a Korg MicroSynth. Geeeaaarrrrr

Don't do it! Get an MS2000 instead! (they're fullsized and have knobs, unlike the tiny, kinda-crappy Microkorg)
There's also the Alesis Micron/Akai Miniak, Novation X-Station and so on.

edit: I mean that the Microkorg is a cut-down version of the MS2000 and the price isn't too different.

Computer Jones fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 19, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

A Yamaha CS-80? No thanks. You know they're over 200 lbs, right?

Yeah they are about 220-240 I think. I played one at an instructors house who I got my arp 2600 and 1602 sequencer off of a long time ago. I miss that synth still.

I think you need a really awesome analog poly synth. You got everything covered besides tthat and some fm and maybe a cz series for phase distortion.

I would get a nord wave over the lead personally. One v.a. synth is enough. The virus crushes.

Congrats on the voyager, maybe find a prophet 5 or something somewhere, just get something more complex than a juno.

To the guy who wants a micro korg. Get a used alesis ion or an R3.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Rkelly posted:

Good point, those are very good choices too.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch

Rkelly posted:

I wuv my Ion. MUCH MUCH MUCH more fun to play with than microkorg or micron, cause it's knobby as hell. Only problem I have is getting my expression pedal to work properly. If anyone has any pointers on how to make an EV-5 work for more than 10 degrees of the total rotation, let me know! Also,

Halfway through building it now. Excited to see how it excites the cleans on my Rivera, but also kind of interested in using it as a boost. We'll see.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Just picked this up for ~$180. I've wanted a 6-string with a non-floyd, non-bigsby trem on it for a while, so I saw this and thought it was perfect. I wanted something that had 24 frets, too, so this works out great. I guess it's supposed to be a quasi-PRS, but I don't care. I'll throw in an SD Jazz in the neck and a Dimarzio D-Sonic in the bridge and everything will be perfect.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Rkelly posted:

Goddamn I glad you said this, cause it led me to look up an alesis ion, which led me to Crazy goddamn Polish guy WC Olo Garb who does demo's of tons of synths cause he hates analog/digital arguments and thinks you should just hear poo poo and buy what you like, also his music and videos are insane. Maybe literally.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
"Showing not what a synthesizer can do, but what a man can do with a synthesizer"

And yeah the Ion is pretty tight and mine was only like $450 off ebay. Sometimes you have to menu dive but it's pretty easy and the editing screen is pretty big and bright so it's not too awful.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Rkelly posted:

I would get a nord wave over the lead personally. One v.a. synth is enough. The virus crushes.

The virus does indeed crush but one VA is not necessarily enough. They all sound and play different.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

I mis-read that as "the Virus crashes" and I was wondering what the hell it must sound like that so many people would put up with such a bad, potentially show-stopping problem. Then I remembered that I need glasses.

I just won a pedal from a contest thanks to some demo videos I did. Tom from Fuzzhugger is making me a custom AB-Synth with a specially chosen graphic and some extremely cool custom features we're working on. I'll post pics and clips of it when it gets in but it's going to be an absolute monster, with tons of useful faces and the ability to make some incredible, out-there oscillations in addition to tons of useful fuzz and OD tones. I am very excited, since I won't be buying new pedals for awhile - gotta sell some to help raise money for my wife and I to move (which should at least give some other folks nice things to post in here).

Here is the AB-Synth product page; mine is going to be based on the Master AB-Synth toward the bottom of the page, but with even more going on and a custom graphic and name. I am deeply grateful to Tom for being willing to humor my substantial request and absolutely make my day with this pedal.

It was hard not to go with The Great Wall, the pedal I demo'd for him - I loved the prototype I got to play with and it's one of the coolest sounding Muff-competing pedals I've ever used (note: not a Big Muff in any way shape or form, circuit-wise). Gives my Pro Tone Monster Fuzz a run for its money with even more features, at a really competitive price. But with the mods I requested to the Master AB-Synth I think it just might be the most impressive pedal Tom's ever made, and I can't believe he's willing to help me out here. An absolutely stand-up guy.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 19, 2009

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Well my next purchase is a 30 dollar power adapter for my Korg X50...I've already had to re-solder the power connector which gets all wobbly and breaks, then the powercord comes out and it loses connection randomly...

I wish they had these things in the store, cause I have to drive 30 minutes just to put money down on the special order so that it'll come in faster, cause they can't do credit card over the phone for some reason...

Moral of the story: Don't lose the powercord to your Korg keyboard/don't be in a position for a "friend" with the same keyboard to lose his/claim yours, and not be able to prove it! Also the bastard won't even let me borrow his power cord, when I know drat well he doesn't play the loving thing. Ever.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

Agreed posted:

I mis-read that as "the Virus crashes" and I was wondering what the hell it must sound like that so many people would put up with such a bad, potentially show-stopping problem. Then I remembered that I need glasses.
My poor Ensoniq FIZMO crashes. But I put up with it because it's the only synth around that sounds like angry insects.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tsctsc posted:

Picked up a Gretsch 5129 off ebay and am absolutely loving it so far.

(Image from ebay since my personal camera is terrible.)

My next purchase will be a random orbit polisher and some polishing compound. Good lord that's pretty.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

Rkelly posted:

Yeah they are about 220-240 I think. I played one at an instructors house who I got my arp 2600 and 1602 sequencer off of a long time ago. I miss that synth still.

I think you need a really awesome analog poly synth. You got everything covered besides tthat and some fm and maybe a cz series for phase distortion.

Congrats on the voyager, maybe find a prophet 5 or something somewhere, just get something more complex than a juno.

I have a prophet '08 for analog poly. It's loving awesome, I absolutely love that synthesizer. It's a joy to use and sounds amazing. For FM I use FM8 and Ableton Operator.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008

Schatten posted:

Crap... I bought me another bass.

What's up Rumblefish buddy. I've got a yellow 4 string posted in this thread somewhere. Do you know what year yours is? If you're into that sort of thing there is a table on the reverend website. http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/archive/guitar_bass_sn.html

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Agreed posted:

It was hard not to go with The Great Wall, the pedal I demo'd for him - I loved the prototype I got to play with and it's one of the coolest sounding Muff-competing pedals I've ever used (note: not a Big Muff in any way shape or form, circuit-wise). Gives my Pro Tone Monster Fuzz a run for its money with even more features, at a really competitive price. [...]An absolutely stand-up guy.

Wow thanks for the recommendation. I just worked out the details with Tom and my Great Wall should arrive sometime next week(!) Mine will be landscape style like the version you reviewed though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I Demo'd the great wall before, I'm planning to review one soon though. I started my Frugal writing by reviewing the Algal Bloom and (now unfortunately discontinued, I think I have one of like 12 made) 1134 Fuzz, so I look forward to reviewing some more stuff for Tom. I plan to review the custom AB-Synth as well as an example of Tom's custom work. He's a stand-up guy with amazing customer service and thoughtful, creative products, if I can get the word out I'll do it. Everyone who buys from him seems to love the guy, powerful testimony from nearly every customer and my personal experience with him shows me that he is a genuinely good person who's making a go at his dream.

Anyway, here's the demo I did for the pedal, up on Youtube - make sure to hit the HQ button! I also have a version on Tindeck that is free of Youtube's ruinous compression but I actually re-mastered the audio to fix the way Youtube was screwing it up so it sounds pretty much like it's supposed to so long as you watch it in HQ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjCUp8k3wM&feature=related

I bet you'll love the Great Wall, I hated having to send it out to the next gent on the list. I'll end up buying one sooner or later, though. I think it's a total Muff killer, personally.

Edit: Listened to the Youtube clip, and while it's pretty representative, here's the actual audio, before re-encoding at a lower bitrate and the heavy compression Youtube applies. Listen to this one for the most accurate example of how it sounds, and also to hear me jam funky on the bass because god drat it I've got soul.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 20, 2009

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Col.Kiwi posted:

Ten years ago an Ovation Ultra GP was cheaper (inflation-adjusted) than they were in the 70s.

The GP came out in 1984, and there's one on eBay for $2800usd. I'd sell some poo poo to pick one up. But I'm crazy!

Also I just got one of these!

Audix Cabgrabber

imonfireahhhh
Dec 28, 2006
AC/DC sucks.

Hoooray reverse delay!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

On the one hand, congrats on purchasing a highly functional delay...

... on the other hand, is it too late to return it? There are much better delays out there for the same amount of money these days, the DD-20 is getting really dated.

If it's not an option, you'll still have a perfectly functional and useful delay that can do a lot, so don't get discouraged.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The Boss twin pedal method of being able to store settings into four different banks is one of my favorite features. I agree that there are newer and better sounding delays out there, but for what it is, a performance-oriented delay pedal, I'd say that it's still very relevant.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Would a Dr. Z Brake lite work well with a Hot Rod Deville 410? It says it only works for amps up to 45 watts, and the HRDV is 60, should I get a Mass 100 instead?

edit: Maybe a Weber Powertap? That would be adorable :3

imonfireahhhh
Dec 28, 2006
AC/DC sucks.

Agreed posted:

On the one hand, congrats on purchasing a highly functional delay...

... on the other hand, is it too late to return it? There are much better delays out there for the same amount of money these days, the DD-20 is getting really dated.

If it's not an option, you'll still have a perfectly functional and useful delay that can do a lot, so don't get discouraged.

Well, I just got it from a friend for $100 but I'd love some suggestions on future delay-related purchases.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

For $100, I wouldn't worry about what you might be missing out on. It is a pedal that's proved its worth on many, many stages worldwide. That's a good deal.

Mad Eddy
Jul 22, 2007
I don't have any gear to post as of now (soon) And I don't really now where to post this so I'm going to post it here. I'm thinking about picking up one of these bad boys http://synesthesiacorp.com/ I'm relatively new to drumming (Rock band aside) and I was wondering if that would work as a good drum pad to practice technique and poo poo on as well as making some funky rear end sounds. So any fellow Mandala owners with advice? Or should I stick with just a regular drum pad or something.

EDIT: link isn't working don't know why.

Mad Eddy fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 22, 2009

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

It's not as new as the Gibson EB-2C I posted earlier but it's still pretty new to me.

Click here for the full 1095x1460 image.

1965 Gibson B-25N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J. Fry
Jan 3, 2009

What smells like blue?

Ovation Celebrity CDX 44 Acoustic-Electric Guitar

Plays like a dream and comes with a built in "Ovation iDea" which can be used to tune, record, download lessons and songs from the internet and plug a pair of headphones in directly.