Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phuzion posted:

Just curious, since a few of us seem to live in Ohio, anyone live in Northeast Ohio? Cleveland, or Akron area? If we have enough of us, we could maybe have a meetup and get lunch or something.

Medina here, a stone's throw from where 18 and 71 meet. If I have my radio on I usually have the Medina 2 Meter Group's north repeater (147.030 pl 141.3) on my main band and 146.52 on my secondary. I'd be up for either a real world meet or just taking over some repeater at a strange time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
While my HF wasn't so successful I did find out just how nicely 2m can do. I made a few contacts on 146.52 of about 60 miles a couple times. I also made a really nice contact with a guy using a beam and running 250 watts of power that I was able to keep up for 120ish miles until I got to the backside of his beam where in about 15 miles I went from S9+ to almost total breakup. I was pushing 50 watts most of the time.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004
Just got my first radio today and can't find anyone to talk to :( All I can find are drive through radios... Where are the "hotspots" in the North Fulton area in Georgia?

Also, I saw someone mention programming the FT-60R with a computer, how do you do that? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.

edit: NM, I think I found info on programming.

This program: http://www.kc8unj.com/

With these cables: http://www.ttl2usb.com/order.html

Is there a better, or cheaper, source?

thegreatcodfish fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 31, 2009

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

thegreatcodfish posted:

Just got my first radio today and can't find anyone to talk to :( All I can find are drive through radios... Where are the "hotspots" in the North Fulton area in Georgia?

Also, I saw someone mention programming the FT-60R with a computer, how do you do that? I don't see it anywhere in the manual.

edit: NM, I think I found info on programming.

This program: http://www.kc8unj.com/

With these cables: http://www.ttl2usb.com/order.html

Is there a better, or cheaper, source?

You can build it yourself. Also, you'll here from me regularly if you are either of those two repeaters.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Jose Pointero posted:

Also I wouldn't try loading a gutter just yet. The AT in that thing, if it has one, most certainly won't be able to handle it. You'd need a stout external tuner to try that.

This reminded me of a hamfest in Palmer, located in the old railroad station. A couple of us are playing around with an old Ten Tec radio and a big honkin tuner, there are railroad tracks running in front of the station, we had to try it. And sure enough, we made a couple of contacts. I ended up buying that radio and used it for a while, had great audio but the other specs weren't so great, IOW, typical Ten tec.

Anyone looking for a cheap HF rig might check into the Ten Tec Scout, with the appropriate bamd modules. Nothing fabulous but workable.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW
Well, I had an interesting experience the other day...

I successfully made a contact on 2m FM simplex at a range of 80-90 miles*, using a 50 watt mobile into a 5/8 wave whip antenna.

* (it was a buddy of mine who is a pilot, he was headed to the local airport in my hometown on a cross-country flight at an altitude of 8500 feet...he was on a VX-7R with a rubber duck inside the plane using 5 watts)

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
That's pretty cool. Though, it's a bit easier to work 2m when there's nothing obstructing you ;)

Incidentally, the ISS, and any space shuttle missions have 2m rigs on them. Most Astronauts are hams, but you have to be pretty lucky to find one that happens to be chatty. Most of the time they only have a packet thingy going

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
Any goons broadcasting in central Illinois? I'm studying up to take the tests in mid July.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
Hey fellow hams, it's been an age since I've checked in on this thread, I haven't really even been around on the forums for a couple months now. Apologies to everyone that's added their callsign since then, I'll have to backtrack a few pages and see where we left off.

Anyway, is anyone in here going to be operating a station for Field Day? If so, tell us your station callsign / gridsquare / station class, maybe we'll catch you on the air this weekend!

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Oh yeah, Hopefully our site isn't washed away.. we've had some weather move through here this evening.. Was out spotting earlier.

I'll be at field day. Club Call is N0GF,3D ND, Square EN17mu.

Personally, I'll probably be on the Digital station.

Hope to hear some of you on the air

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

McRib Sandwich posted:

Hey fellow hams, it's been an age since I've checked in on this thread, I haven't really even been around on the forums for a couple months now. Apologies to everyone that's added their callsign since then, I'll have to backtrack a few pages and see where we left off.

Anyway, is anyone in here going to be operating a station for Field Day? If so, tell us your station callsign / gridsquare / station class, maybe we'll catch you on the air this weekend!

I'm going to be operating with NFARL. I'm not sure what our callsign is at the moment. 20m phone will be and I'll be on from 1700-1800, and 0800-1000 tomorrow morning. These times are EST.

Edit: Call for station is W4QO 2A GA

Much of my shift I shared with Francis our 16 year old Extra girl. She's like a magnet for stations. I think at one point in a 20 minute time we went through 60 stations.

HFX fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 28, 2009

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
My Technician class license was granted by the FCC yesterday. I am KD8LOM.
Time to start studying for the general I guess. And grow a beard.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
I read your call as "kabloom". This is great. Congrats.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Grilldos posted:

I read your call as "kabloom". This is great. Congrats.

Thanks. I never noticed that!

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
I finally posted a much-needed update to the list of hams in the OP, so those of you that have gotten your callsign or upgrade since page 18 or so, you should finally be listed. We're up to 69 hams in a little over a year since the thread was started, and 16 of those are new hams!

By the way, if you don't see yourself listed in the OP but you'd like to be added, do let me know. There were a couple of you that posted in the thread where it was unclear if you just owned some ham gear for RXing or if you're actually a ham operator. If you're missing from the list, shoot me a line in reply or PM so I can add you.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

McRib Sandwich posted:

I finally posted a much-needed update to the list of hams in the OP, so those of you that have gotten your callsign or upgrade since page 18 or so, you should finally be listed. We're up to 69 hams in a little over a year since the thread was started, and 16 of those are new hams!

By the way, if you don't see yourself listed in the OP but you'd like to be added, do let me know. There were a couple of you that posted in the thread where it was unclear if you just owned some ham gear for RXing or if you're actually a ham operator. If you're missing from the list, shoot me a line in reply or PM so I can add you.

Thanks for updating the call =)

Anyway hamradio stuff, well my radio in my car seems to of blown it's finals. Which is bloody annoying, putting out less than a watt. Now I go to look if others have had this issue before, and it seems that the ic-2720H has a world of issues. Bugger I bought a lemon. Time to take it back to the shop and get it fixed as I haven't owned it for even a year.

Also I've been help run licensing courses, and have lots of people getting their foundation (about ten in the last two weeks) and over 25 people for the standard upgrade course starting next month.

Also got me a new project a Swan 350 that needs a little *cough* work. Receives well, but on transmit its a little tired, new tubes and caps if I can get the tubes.

There seems to be a place stateside that does have the tubes I need, but will try and source them locally.

Other than that haven't done much radio wise, just moved into a new qth and just got a 40m dipole up (other than the 2m 70cm antennas which have been up for a bit. So tonight if I have the time, I will put out a few calls and see what I get. A fair bit of noise but it's better than the old place thankfully. Sometimes I wish I lived in the country as at my parents there is so little QRM.

IonClash
Feb 27, 2007

A special gift arrived for me today. My wife and children know me all too well. After months of lusting, they purchased a Yaesu VX8R for me. The digital aspects of this radio are incredible. The menu system is easy to navigate and user friendly. I have only played with it for about 45 minutes because I want to give the batter a good charge; however, so far, she's a fantastic little rig. Stay tuned for pics and other goodness.

Radio Info:
http://tinyurl.com/6y5ty3

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Welp,

I'm down here in central Florida (Sarasota) now (moved from Tallahassee/North Florida) but my dreams of having a shack are dashed.

We've tried to buy a house in Sarasota for a good six months now, but with our budget we just can't compete against snowbirds from Canada, Northern states, and even the British and Germans!

These people just snatch things up the minute they hit the market AND are willing to pay 10K over list price on anything! :( So, we're moving out of this current apartment and renting a bigger apartment instead. This sucks. So much for a shack.

I haven't used my license in forever. :(

I guess there's Echolink. I'm not sure how we could set up a Goon net with Echolink. Or if that's possible.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Dolemite posted:

Welp,

I'm down here in central Florida (Sarasota) now (moved from Tallahassee/North Florida) but my dreams of having a shack are dashed.

We've tried to buy a house in Sarasota for a good six months now, but with our budget we just can't compete against snowbirds from Canada, Northern states, and even the British and Germans!

These people just snatch things up the minute they hit the market AND are willing to pay 10K over list price on anything! :( So, we're moving out of this current apartment and renting a bigger apartment instead. This sucks. So much for a shack.

I haven't used my license in forever. :(

I guess there's Echolink. I'm not sure how we could set up a Goon net with Echolink. Or if that's possible.

That really sucks. Obviously the best course of action here is to buy a small adjacent lot next to the house you want, and immediately erect a massive ham radio tower to drive down property values in the area. Oh, and start causing massive RFI to all the TVs in the neighborhood.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

My used Radio Shack HTX10 came In the mail today (Only 10m rig I could afford at the moment). I strung up a homemade 10M dipole in a tree with clothesline, in an Inverted V pattern, about 25 feet up. I'm currently using an old motorcycle battery as a power source.
I'm too broke to afford a real power supply :smith:

This evening, I made my first contact ever, with an operator in Lyles, Tennessee, 580 miles away.
This is really cool!
I can't wait until the conditions on 10m really open up.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 7, 2009

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
N8W** checking in. Got my no-code Tech over fifteen years ago and was active in 2m groups. I've moved several times since then, have been peripherally involved in ARES and Skywarn, but haven't even had time to hook up my mobile rig since my last move/car purchase. It's an Icom IC-229H, so it's probably due for an upgrade or replacement anyway. I've got a couple of HTs as well; the newest one is a Yaesu FT-11 if I remember correctly, which means it isn't all that new.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

MullardEL34 posted:

I can't wait until the conditions on 10m really open up.
This is as good as 10M is going to be for a few years, since we're at the bottom of the solar cycle but at the top of the sporadic E season. If you don't already you may want to have your dipole broadside to North/South to take advantage of the propagation to the Southern Hemisphere. If you're interested in learning more about Es I'd suggest reading the paper put together by the Propnet people.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

infrared35 posted:

N8W** checking in. Got my no-code Tech over fifteen years ago and was active in 2m groups. I've moved several times since then, have been peripherally involved in ARES and Skywarn, but haven't even had time to hook up my mobile rig since my last move/car purchase. It's an Icom IC-229H, so it's probably due for an upgrade or replacement anyway. I've got a couple of HTs as well; the newest one is a Yaesu FT-11 if I remember correctly, which means it isn't all that new.

Sup, N8 buddy. :)

N8XHB here, pretty much same history as you. Got my tech no-code in '93 here in Grand Rapids, and was active off and on in 2m (IRA and GRARA) and SKYWARN throughout the 90's. Lately my poor Icom IC-V8 sits on my bedstand and collects dust or waits for severe weather where I can still occasionally be heard. May have to update to a new HT if I get back into the hobby.

drat that Yaesu FT-60R is tempting.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jul 7, 2009

infrared35
Jan 13, 2005

Plaster Town Cop
N8W:hf:N8X

On a side note, I just took a tour of the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw and noticed they had pictures up from June's Field Day. They have a comm shack on the ship that has been converted for ham use, including the installation of VHF/UHF repeaters. The station's call sign is W8AGB apparently.

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer

Kenderama posted:

drat that Yaesu FT-60R is tempting.

It's a great little radio. I just need a good antenna to set up in my backyard now that I'm in a house and not the third floor of an apartment.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

Grilldos posted:

It's a great little radio. I just need a good antenna to set up in my backyard now that I'm in a house and not the third floor of an apartment.

I have one as well and it's an awesome radio. One thing to keep in mind is that it is not a LiON battery so you have to drain the battery before charging it again. Not a big deal, but there is no easy way to drain it quickly if you have something you think you will need a full charge for. On the plus side, the battery lasts forever. I have no problem getting a week of use out of it.

As an aside to that, does anyone know where I can get 2A 12v wall wart power supply? I'd like to plug the 60r into the wall and put it into power supply mode (bypassing the battery) when I'm at home using it. Radio shack only seems to have 1.5A.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

infrared35 posted:

N8W:hf:N8X

On a side note, I just took a tour of the Coast Guard Cutter Mackinaw and noticed they had pictures up from June's Field Day. They have a comm shack on the ship that has been converted for ham use, including the installation of VHF/UHF repeaters. The station's call sign is W8AGB apparently.

That is very cool and I'll have to listen for them next time I'm at the lakeshore.

drat every single reply in this forum has me more and more interested. :) I actually charged up the Icom V8 and brought it with me in the car today. Can't seem to hit IRA, but GRARA and Lowell's repeaters come in - of course it may be the antenna.. but since I'm thinking about the Yaesu, it's a moot point. :)

Grilldos posted:

thegreatcodfish posted:

I have one as well and it's an awesome radio. One thing to keep in mind is that it is not a LiON battery so you have to drain the battery before charging it again. Not a big deal, but there is no easy way to drain it quickly if you have something you think you will need a full charge for. On the plus side, the battery lasts forever. I have no problem getting a week of use out of it.

Thanks for the inputs - I didn't know that about the battery, so definitely will keep that in mind. Found someone on QRZ who's selling the radio plus multiple batteries, chargers, antenna, etc for $250.. so may buy that off of him.

I can sympathize with apartment living though - but I'm in a garden-apartment, so I'm half buried in the ground.. and 3rd floor is but a dream. :)

foghorn
Oct 9, 2006

Haters gunna hate.
Hey guys, KC2QCY checking in. Just thought I should drop by and give my 73's.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
Just updated the OP with the new check-ins on this page. I believe that puts us at over 70 operators in the thread now... I really never expected to see anywhere close to that number of callsigns in the OP. Thanks to all of you for stopping in to say hi!

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
To the Cleveland/Akron hamgoons: Sorry I haven't checked in for a while, I've been all sorts of busy lately (new job, moved out, etc). If anyone's still interested in a QSO or meetup, let me know, and we can arrange something soon. Unfortunately, I'll be leaving for Norway on Sunday (no General class, so I can't HF back to home, :( ), so we'll it will either have to be a QSO very soon, or a meetup after I return (which will be about 2 weeks from Sunday)

Anyone know of any good 2m or 440 repeaters in the Independence/Seven Hills area? If so, let me know, I'd like to chat it up on the air with you guys.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

I got my first VHF HT, a Feidaxin FD-160a. $60 shipped from Hong Kong, and it arrived in a week. I've been getting excellent reports on local repeaters, and with a high gain antenna I was able to (barely) hit a repeater 40 miles away. It came with a charging cradle and lapel mic too. For the price I'm really impressed with it. It seems well built, heavy and quite solid for being chinese crap, and actually has a titanium chassis.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 9, 2009

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Sorry for the doublepost, but If any Cleveland area hamgoons want to talk sometime, I'm usually monitoring the 147.210 repeater in Mentor, CTSS 110.9, offset +.6, also 147.165, offset +.6, no CTSS.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 9, 2009

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

MullardEL34 posted:

I got my first VHF HT, a Feidaxin FD-160a. $60 shipped from Hong Kong, and it arrived in a week. I've been getting excellent reports on local repeaters, and with a high gain antenna I was able to (barely) hit a repeater 40 miles away. It came with a charging cradle and lapel mic too. For the price I'm really impressed with it. It seems well built, heavy and quite solid for being chinese crap, and actually has a titanium chassis.

I've been wondering about the various Chinese radios coming out lately. My boss is a participant in the Texas Medical Incident Support Team, and they recommended a different brand (which escapes me at the moment) of VHF/UHF/800 portables to carry, which were similarly priced. The logic was that if it gets wet/dropped/etc. that $60-75 isn't too much to have invested in a radio. My boss opted to just carry one of our Icom F-70DTs which are submersible anyway (and P25 digital).

If you don't mind, keep us updated on it...I'm in the market for a cheap UHF portable, and I'm currently debating on whether to get a D-STAR one or not. The Chinese ones are very tempting for the price.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Okay, here's a question that I've spent years trying to figure out how to ask without looking like a Ham Newbie... with a 16 year old license. :)

What's the best way to get into HF? Right now I'm a Tech licensee, and honestly if I find HF as interesting as everyone makes it out to be, I'd get the push I need to go for my General.. but I'm hesitant for a couple reasons:

I have never operated out of 2m/70cm areas.
I live in an apartment - no masts or anything for me.
I drive a VW beetle, so don't want huge antennas. (And to be honest, not a lot of room for a radio mount!)
I am poor.
:colbert:

So hamgoons, give me some direction. I've thought about hitting a swapmeet coming up in Sept and looking for some older equipment to just fiddle with, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

Kenderama posted:

HF

Are there any active local clubs in your area? How about active 2m/70cm repeaters with lots of Greybeards (who may or may not run Win95) on them? My HF experience has been either using club equipment at a club shack or at some other ham's house. I can almost promise you that if you start talking about getting into HF on a repeater that the OFs frequent, you'll have at least someone who will be willing to take you under his wing and let you use his equipment, particularly if you ask. Find a repeater "net" and put the word out there, perhaps.

Taking this route would let you get your feet wet before buying lots of stuff you might not take much interest in using anyway. Plus, if you end up not liking it, you're saved the trouble of having to take more license tests.

I personally don't find HF to be all that interesting or enjoyable, and I figured that out after trying phone/PSK/RTTY/etc. on HF at various club functions. I'd much rather do something where I can have mobile internet through radio, plus simultaneous digital voice :)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

TNLTRPB posted:

OFs and Nets Stuff

That's actually not too bad of an idea. I know every Wednesday is the local club's "Open Radio Room" night, so that may be a good way to go.

We have a ton of repeaters around here, and a state-wide linked system.. and full of OFs.. so the information here is good. I think the idea of long-distance QSOs would be very cool, so HF sounds interesting. Thanks for the input!

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Kenderama posted:

Okay, here's a question that I've spent years trying to figure out how to ask without looking like a Ham Newbie... with a 16 year old license. :)

What's the best way to get into HF? Right now I'm a Tech licensee, and honestly if I find HF as interesting as everyone makes it out to be, I'd get the push I need to go for my General.. but I'm hesitant for a couple reasons:

I have never operated out of 2m/70cm areas.
I live in an apartment - no masts or anything for me.
I drive a VW beetle, so don't want huge antennas. (And to be honest, not a lot of room for a radio mount!)
I am poor.
:colbert:

So hamgoons, give me some direction. I've thought about hitting a swapmeet coming up in Sept and looking for some older equipment to just fiddle with, but I have no idea what I'm looking for.
Pick Up a used 10 meter mobile rig. As nmfree mentioned above, we're at the top of sporadic E season and 10 meters has been open pretty much every night here. I've made about 12 DX contacts over the past week with a 25w mobile rig and a homemade dipole hung in a tree. Technicians have SSB phone privileges on 28.300-28.500mhz.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Phuzion posted:

Anyone know of any good 2m or 440 repeaters in the Independence/Seven Hills area? If so, let me know, I'd like to chat it up on the air with you guys.

http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php?coverage=0&clat=%2041.3846070&clong=%20-81.6683380

I'm on the Medina 147.030 repeater (north site 141.3 south site 88.5) for the most part if I have my radio on.

The one Mullard listed might be easier for you to reach, I just tried it myself and I don't think I have enough power out of my HT, especially indoors.

Th_
Nov 29, 2008
[E] Got my call-sign, it's AB9UJ.

Th_ fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jul 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticfluids
Dec 25, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I'll be going for my code + tech + general + extra test in a month. :) (Physics major...) I've been listening to shortwave ever since the big NH ice storms that took out my power a few months back. I'd love to get my license sooner but am going to WI and then SD for a week each, never hitting an exam session. I may pick up an FT-60R before I leave on August first though, as I'd love to listen to what the hams chew about back home in the midwest. Locally, it seems to be greybeards talking about firewood on the HF bands.

Most likely I will not buy into HF gear, not until after grad school at least...I have nowhere near the amount of money needed. It is foreseeable that I build a CW transmitter though...I love hands on lab electronics work. The most frustrating thing is waiting until I pass my license tests, and then wait until I get my callsign. I'll just be listening until then, I guess...