Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I am more than willing to admit that I'm a bitter collector who's just being grouchy about his line he's been collecting dying though :)

I always hated the tiny G.I. Joes when I was younger because I never could get any sort of fufilling combat action out of them. I think my sense of the 3 3/4ths inferiority stems from that. Some of the new Marvel Guys look pretty good, like Iron-Man, but there's just so little there no matter how detailed it is I can never truely care, unless it was like $3.99 or $4.99.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

I've bought a few MU stuff, and either made customs or repainted them. Then again, I never bought any ML, so I'm kind of starting from scratch. $8 is steep for a figure, but the other line I collect, DCUC is also pretty steep at $13 a figure. Some of the MU figures like Deadpool or Hulk or Punisher are almost worth the price since they're either huge or come with a ton of accessories. Also, when they're occassionally on sale, like the 2 for $11 thing at TRU a month ago or $7 each at K-mart, it's a little easier to swallow.

They're decent figures with some paint touch up, but would be better at $6. The Star Wars line has a BAF gimmick now with each figure coming with droid parts, and I think it would work great with MU. The gigantic battles will be cool too, especially the super skrull they showed a few weeks ago and the possible sentinel and galactus rereleases.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Fish Of Doom posted:

The gigantic battles will be cool too, especially the super skrull they showed a few weeks ago and the possible sentinel and galactus rereleases.

Yea it came out a couple months ago that Hasbro doesn't have the rights to the molds for the ML Sentinel, Galactus, or any of the other BAF. So I imagine the chances of seeing them show up in the craptastic line is slim to nil.

On the same subject, is it just me or if your paying $10+ for a figure you shouldn't have to add anything to it to make it worthwhile. The price difference between a Marvel Legend and a DC counterpart at the time this all started was 2-3 dollars different, but you got the extra money worth in paint, articulation and sculpting. Now the DCUC figures are on average around me 11 dollars a figure which is still steep for my tastes but you get a excellent sculpt and fantastic paint. Hell, even the GI Joe and Star Wars figures have better paint, sculpts and cost less than the Marvel Universe figures. You can't tell me that the Star Wars license costs less than the Marvel one.

I am fully expecting the worst come SDCC about the 6 inch stuff from Hasbro. I am going to spend the next year or so trying to get the last of the Marvel Legends stuff that I lack while it is all still reasonably cheap, stick it on my shelves and ignore the toy aisle for awhile.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah, but then again MU figures don't come with BAF parts, and a lot of BAF parts go for a couple bucks on their own. So it's basically $2 less for a smaller figure with less accessories and less incentive to complete a set. You also have to consider what LightsGameraAction said, a lot of LCBS will hike up the prices to be $10 or over for them. I can understand the marketing aspect of it, about keeping new stuff out, its just funny to me that people might complain about a new ML Iron man figure coming out, but will still buy new MU IM figures.

I am more than willing to admit that I'm a bitter collector who's just being grouchy about his line he's been collecting dying though :)

I don't know how many times I have to say this.
Your local comic shop does not hike up prices. We have to pay more to even carry the loving things so of course the price is higher. What, you want us to sell you the toys at a $2 loss per figure? gently caress that bullshit.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Djarum posted:

On the same subject, is it just me or if your paying $10+ for a figure you shouldn't have to add anything to it to make it worthwhile.

If you're referring to me repainting and doing touch ups to the MU I bought, I don't mind doing it. I do paint touch ups to the DCUC figures I buy as well. I'm a good painter and decent sculptor, having done so much custom stuff. I enjoy making stuff that I buy better. Perfect figures that really can't be improved are stuff like Hot Toys figures, but those are $150+. Except for Palisades, r.i.p., they made perfect figures at reasonable prices.

If I could trade all of my MU for ML versions of the characters, I probably would. But at this point, it would cost more for me to invest in buying a bunch of ML off of ebay than starting my collection from scratch. $8 for a Deadpool figure is a lot less than $60. I can totally understand not wanting to switch scales if you're OG Marvel Legends.

And I will also admit that about half of the MU figures are crap and even un-salvageable to repainting like the first punisher, daredevil (and anything using his terrible body), human torch, and blade.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 17, 2009

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Your local comic shop does not hike up prices. We have to pay more to even carry the loving things so of course the price is higher. What, you want us to sell you the toys at a $2 loss per figure? gently caress that bullshit.

I never mind paying comic shop prices on things I know I can't find in normal stores. But I know the comic shop local to me will have things that are on pegs in Wal-Mart and Target, the exact same wave, and it will be double the price.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

The Rage posted:

I never mind paying comic shop prices on things I know I can't find in normal stores. But I know the comic shop local to me will have things that are on pegs in Wal-Mart and Target, the exact same wave, and it will be double the price.

wal-mart and target get the figures at a cheaper price. It's not some cost hike ripoff conspiracy, comic shops have to pay more to get the figures so they cost more.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I have the Toy Biz Showdown versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil, and I thought those generally look better than the new Marvel Universe figures.

On that note, I only still own a handful of Marvel Legends, but I'm disappointed they never got around to making my favorite Marvel character, Jamie Madrox. Granted he's just a guy in stylized street clothes so he might not have been the most exciting-looking action figure, but at least they could have sold him in an exclusive two-pack or something (maybe with and without the trench coat?).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
For all you Muggs collectors, Mezco is rebranding their old Mez-Its minifigures to make them similar to Muggs in style and scale. Check out its first offering:

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/11284.shtml

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.

LtCrowley posted:

Detail shots:

Click here for the full 450x907 image.

Click here for the full 450x1325 image.

I think it went ok, the blood looks a little too stylised in places but I guess that's just what happens when you're working in a small scale.

yeah the blood does look a bit too perfect, try using an old toothbrush with the paint and flick your thumb on it to spray the blood out in random ways. Amazing nonetheless.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Oh I understand that, I've bought plenty of stuff from my LCBS, I didn't mean it in a "they're trying to steal my money" kind of way. The manager at my store actually goes by whatever ebay prices are, and tries to go a little under that, plus giving a discount for having enough books in my box. At the same time, he doesn't even order stuff like MU and Muggs because he knows he'll have to hike the price up and probably won't be able to sell them. Nevermind that I have been in other crappy LCBS's that actually DO hike up the price, far more than necessary. One store I went to would buy all their figures from the TRU next door, open them, take the BAF parts out, reseal them, and put them back on the shelf for what they paid.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have the Toy Biz Showdown versions of Spider-Man and Daredevil, and I thought those generally look better than the new Marvel Universe figures.

On that note, I only still own a handful of Marvel Legends, but I'm disappointed they never got around to making my favorite Marvel character, Jamie Madrox. Granted he's just a guy in stylized street clothes so he might not have been the most exciting-looking action figure, but at least they could have sold him in an exclusive two-pack or something (maybe with and without the trench coat?).

I'm actually planning on making one; Ultimate Fury Coat, arms, probably legs and torso too unless I find something better, and a DCUC Shazam head. I'll probably do it once I finish the two Deadpools I'm currently working on.

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

For all you Muggs collectors, Mezco is rebranding their old Mez-Its minifigures to make them similar to Muggs in style and scale. Check out its first offering:

http://www.toymania.com/news/messages/11284.shtml

That hellboy is spectacular but 20 plus shipping is a bit much for me.

LtCrowley
Oct 13, 2008

by elpintogrande

Mapocho posted:

yeah the blood does look a bit too perfect, try using an old toothbrush with the paint and flick your thumb on it to spray the blood out in random ways. Amazing nonetheless.

I'd like to say I'm gonna give it a shot but I doubt that I will - I already re-painted the goddamn thing three times, using a needle for most of the work so the thought of doing it again makes me want to pile drive a baby.

I'll definitely give that a shot on my Ash figure though, I'm giving him the gross-out treatment next - I particularly look forward to tackling the chainsaw blade.

On a side note, I'd like to see some shots of people's action figure collections and was thinking about making a thread in BSS dedicated to just that. Thought I'd check first because A: I'm a relative new comer in BSS and don't have archives to check if this has been done recently and B: I only have one figure that's actually comic book related but this seems to be the hang out point for figure collectors.

scare
Nov 25, 2002
after collecting Marvel legends since the first wave, I avoided the new mu figs altogether.
Until about a week ago. I finally saw a Hulk and Cap...so i grabbed them both.
and man, I couldn't be less impressed with these.
I hate the hulk fig.
So much that i didn't even bother to open cap.
now i don't know what to do with him.

on the plus side...
scored a bunch of DC direct 1:6 guys in a trade.
and I might stop collecting DCUC's and just focus on them.

and this just makes me happy.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!
apparantly the going rate on anti-monitor points is about 50 cents per. So, those 5 dollar 3 packs just got turned into 2.50 3 packs. Might want to unload if you have any before sdcc.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
God drat. I just found out about the Graphitti SDCC Hal Jordan figures and it looks like I'm going to be spending my mornings camping out there. Must get all the rings.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Jack Skeleton posted:

God drat. I just found out about the Graphitti SDCC Hal Jordan figures and it looks like I'm going to be spending my mornings camping out there. Must get all the rings.

Are you talking about the Hal Jordan 5-pack of figures, one for each color of ring? I'm banking them on being at Chicago Comic Con because I love the poo poo out of the idea already. I saw someone on Ebay selling a pre-order for them for $250.00, which is slightly ridiculous, so I'm now going to try to get my hands on multiple and make some extra cash I guess.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

El Diablo V2 posted:

Allright guys, here's my report.

-They will be showing 16-18 prototypes at SDCC for release in 2010.
-The 3 two-packs will be hitting in late August at the latest, still distributed by Diamond and TRU.
-They hinted at a new Deadpool being revealed SDCC, as well as an Inhuman to accompany Blackbolt.
-No BAFs are coming out next year.
-They will be doing a fan poll for new ML, the top 3 will be split across 3 new two-packs, with Hasbro choosing the partners. These will most likely come out this time next year.
-NO RETAIL EXCLUSIVES NEXT YEAR!!!
-They're still working out packaging, as in singles/two-packs for the other assortments. It seemed to me they're leaning towards two-packs for now still.
-They also had a segment on Toybiz stuff that never made it, and I have a few pics from that as well.

Here are the pics:

Warpath:

Multiple Man:

Lady Bullseye:

Group:

I also spoke with Jesse a bit about Fwoosh, and he said he appreciates all the feedback and how it helped during the Toybiz days. He also said they WERE supposed to show figs at NYCC, but they couldn't, hence the slip-up. I think we owe him a little more trust and respect from now on.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Well now, prototypes...im going to make sure I get images this year.

Also, a new deadpool? What can they do? Include zombie head?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

It could just be a re release and be okay with just about everyone.

But it better have cancer head.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
If they do a re-release, that'd make me happy. My Deadpool's limbs are getting loose.

If they include cancer head, instead of making it angry face, they should make him have a grin-face.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Well now, prototypes...im going to make sure I get images this year.

Also, a new deadpool? What can they do? Include zombie head?

Those protos look fairly nice although I can tell where all the parts for them came from, almost like glorified customs. At least they look better than normal Hasbro crap.

And the Deadpool could be the more modern version with the big silver circle thingie straps on the front. If I was a betting man I would imagine it being a repaint of the Union Jack figure, which is just screaming out Deadpool. I'd love him to be a two pack with a Udon Taskmaster but that would never happen.

Hey maybe we can get a good Red Skull with the Bucky Cap?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Yeah Warpath is pretty obviously the Hulkling/Crossbones body. Multiple Man is Ultimate Nick Fury. And Lady Bullseye is Elektra.

I'll gladly take 16 - 18 ML next year over nothing, its nice to hear they are taking the Toyfare poll protos and retooling them. I kind of hope the Multiple Man comes in a two-pack with another multiple man ... maybe with a different facial expression.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Multiple Man is my favorite Marvel character, and I've been requesting him in every fan poll since the end of the Toy Biz days. I am thrilled to see that prototype, and I agree a 2-pack with himself would be the best way to go. Perhaps they could switch it up by doing a serious face in the trench coat, and a smirking face in just the long-sleeved T-shirt, sans coat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Does this mean I might finally get my Northstar figure? :D

profbobo
May 22, 2004

Vivat Buster!

I got two Two-Faces sent to me on accident, so I took the pic while I had the extra; only opening one obviously. Vito's one of the most incredible toys I own and I can't imagine how Enterbay could really improve on it. The packaging is pretty sick as well; it's huge - about twice the height of a normal Hot Toys box. Very slick.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Isn't that Multiple Man the movie version?

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

Not sure what it is, but it's pretty cool. Warpath looks a lot like Doc Samson.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Multiple Man is based on his comic look for the last few years. Peter David relaunched him as a noir detective with a sense of humor and an ongoing identity crisis in the excellent Madrox: Multiple Choice miniseries a few years ago. That led directly into David's current X-Factor series, where he is the team leader. He dresses like that all the time -- a long-sleeved T-shirt with the six interconnected circles, and a trench coat over it.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006

Whorehey posted:

Are you talking about the Hal Jordan 5-pack of figures, one for each color of ring? I'm banking them on being at Chicago Comic Con because I love the poo poo out of the idea already. I saw someone on Ebay selling a pre-order for them for $250.00, which is slightly ridiculous, so I'm now going to try to get my hands on multiple and make some extra cash I guess.

Yeah. But since you have to buy them one at a time and each day will have a new one, it seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get to the graphitti booth every god drat morning at 10 to get in on it.

Whorehey
Jun 3, 2006
You saw it here first folks...

Jack Skeleton posted:

Yeah. But since you have to buy them one at a time and each day will have a new one, it seems like it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get to the graphitti booth every god drat morning at 10 to get in on it.

Ugh, how annoying. I have a feeling these are going to be immensely popular too with the Blackest Night stuff ramping up. You'll have to let me know how it goes at SDCC so I can plan accordingly for Chicago.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

MattyCollector has their list of what will be available at the Con and what you can buy on August 3rd from their site after the Con up now.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.2009_SDCC

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Rage posted:

MattyCollector has their list of what will be available at the Con and what you can buy on August 3rd from their site after the Con up now.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/matty/ContentTheme/pbPage.2009_SDCC

Also speaking of Mattycollector, they recently announced that the last of the Dark Knight movie masters toy would be only available through there. Who knows when those will be up, but hopefully they'll be less than $20 + shipping when they do show up.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 25, 2009

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Fish Of Doom posted:

Also speaking of Mattycollector, they recently announced that the last of the Dark Knight movie masters toy would be only available through there. Who knows when those will be up, but hopefully they'll be less than $20 + shipping when they do show up.

Like the Two-Face wave that was set to come out in August?

General Wishy
May 8, 2007

The Rage posted:

Like the Two-Face wave that was set to come out in August?

It's Jail Cell Joker, Two Face, Harvey Dent, and Bank Robber Joker I believe. Sadly I do want them all but Dent.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

General Wishy posted:

It's Jail Cell Joker, Two Face, Harvey Dent, and Bank Robber Joker I believe. Sadly I do want them all but Dent.

Don't forget lightbulb-head Batman

he looks so sad

Maybe they'll be released as 1 big 5-pack. If they're individual, I'm willing to bet that Two-Face sells out in like 30 minutes and goes for like $1000 on ebay.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I am kinda surprised they are selling them only online. Last time I checked the Movie Masters stuff did really well at retail. Hell, the Batman stuff at my store STILL is doing really well.

Bushifox
Dec 10, 2003

Je suis une tappette pour les jouets cheap et casse. Je suis dieu des nulles!

Djarum posted:

I am kinda surprised they are selling them only online. Last time I checked the Movie Masters stuff did really well at retail. Hell, the Batman stuff at my store STILL is doing really well.

They were discounted at walmart to 5 bucks a piece and then liquidated to tj max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Bushifox posted:

They were discounted at walmart to 5 bucks a piece and then liquidated to tj max.

Thats sad, I bought Batman, Joker, and Scarecrow. Kept checking every time I'd walk by them too to see if I could get ahold of the variants. Anyone know when they're going to go up on Matty?