Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Chairon posted:

Think theres a chance they'll have one of the new XR 1,200's? Those things look sweet, Popular Mechanics is giving one away (you can enter at https://subscribe.hearstmags.com/subscribe/popularmechanics/34961 if you want, I did.) and they're about eight different kinds of Awesome.

And the Freakonomics book is a good read too!

Yeah whatever you do, don't enter your cell number in there. I immediately started receiving spam text messages to the tune of $9.99 apiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Finally got (yet another) pair of forks for the FZR, these off a 2005 YZF. Should have it back on the road in a week or two :dance:

Getting the bug again?

redscare
Aug 14, 2003

Z3n posted:

Getting the bug again?

Oh yeah, I can't wait to finally get back on two wheels. The real sticking point this whole time has been getting a good deal on a set of forks. I'm going to end up around $1700 in the green thanks to the ridiculous insurance settlement once I pay all the fees and get a new lid.

redscare fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 19, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

redscare posted:

Oh yeah, I can't wait to finally get back on two wheels. The real sticking point this whole time has been getting a good deal on a set of forks. I'm going to end up around $1700 in the green thanks to the ridiculous insurance settlement once I pay all the fees and get a new lid.

Glad to hear it. It's nice to have an accident that doesn't end with the rider getting reamed. We still need to do the valves on that bike eventually, hit me up later this summer.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah whatever you do, don't enter your cell number in there. I immediately started receiving spam text messages to the tune of $9.99 apiece.

WHat, really? I put in mine and didn't get anything. But thats still really lovely of them.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, that's bullshit. The dealers of other manufacturers all send me birthday cards and fruitcakes at Christmas. :wtc: do you mean "forget you exist"?

Forget you exist as in not honor the warranty. They classified his oil leak as not a "leak" but a "weep" which isn't covered. There was some other stuff that broke which was written off as some BS or another, like normal operation is everything falling apart. Then he heard some knocking, dealer told him nothing was wrong after taking the head off when it was a connecting rod, then the engine blew.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
that's right, no more XV750! i'm freeeee!!! :holy:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
You just watch. It'll sneak back in the dead of night, and you'll wake up to find it in the garage, ripping the electrical gubbins out of all of your other bikes, turning itself into some giant wiring harness elder thing. :cthulhu:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I managed to get out on a Nightster and a Street Bob during my dealer's demo ride. I wanted to get on the VROD, but it was pretty popular with the customers, and they were supposed to get the first pick on the bikes.

The Nightster was fun, but it was too low for me. The low shocks and thin seat are not fun when the road gets bumpy. And I was scraping either the pegs or kickstand with much less leaning than it takes on my Blast.

The Street Bob was more comfortable for me, mainly because of a bigger seat. It was hot as balls sitting at traffic lights, though. There wasn't really anything outstanding about it to me; it's not my style bike at all.

I also learned that most people are terrible riders and I want to stay the hell away from them.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Deeters posted:

It was hot as balls sitting at traffic lights, though.

That doesn't make any sense, the website says it "oozes cool."

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I might have been doing it wrong. I was wearing a leather jacket and full face helmet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gnaghi posted:

The cool drips to the ground while the rider gets hot.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Deeters posted:

I also learned that most people are terrible riders and I want to stay the hell away from them.

Aint that the truth. I happened to be going the same direction as some idiot on a big "custom" with straight pipes and I had to chuckle to myself watching him wobble and go so slow through a roundabout and up a long curved freeway ramp, but he'd open it up at any straight section he could.

It's pretty accurate to stereotype riders based upon a two things... safety gear and what they are riding. If they are not wearing safety gear, if they're riding a "custom" or a supersport, or if they're riding a giant expensive looking cruiser and they're not commuting to/from work, they're probably terrible at riding.

People who are motorcycle enthusiasts tend to wear safety gear, tend to commute if possible, and tend to not ride bikes that are big status symbols. (in my opinion/experience anyways)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

"cool" is a Harley word for "oil", and that's a weep, not a leak.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

People who are motorcycle enthusiasts tend to wear safety gear, tend to commute if possible, and tend to not ride bikes that are big status symbols. (in my opinion/experience anyways)

I just want to point out that the best rider I know, and winner of new england trials A group a couple times rides everything wearing only a helmet, boots, and mechanic gloves.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I wear safety gear but I don't normally commute to my new job, do I not count as an enthusiast now? :( It makes me kind of miss my old job because I used to ride there and then to class and everywhere all the time during the spring/summer/fall :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

lancemantis posted:

I wear safety gear but I don't normally commute to my new job, do I not count as an enthusiast now? :( It makes me kind of miss my old job because I used to ride there and then to class and everywhere all the time during the spring/summer/fall :(

I squid it around time sometimes. I still have my gloves/jacket/helmet on, but that's just because I have to look cool when I'm hanging out at starbucks.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It's obviously a generalization, and obviously isn't going to be 100% correct, but you can make some easy assumptions about people based on those things, and more often than not, it's probably accurate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

It's obviously a generalization, and obviously isn't going to be 100% correct, but you can make some easy assumptions about people based on those things, and more often than not, it's probably accurate.

Stop ruining our fun of breaking down your stereotypes! :mad:

:v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I don't know why you wouldn't want to wear your gear. I look badass in my gear. My new Yoshimura mesh jacket makes me look like some sort of Japanese motorcycle gang stormtrooper.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

8ender posted:

I don't know why you wouldn't want to wear your gear. I look badass in my gear. My new Yoshimura mesh jacket makes me look like some sort of Japanese motorcycle gang stormtrooper.
I was told I looked like Johnny Bravo after I zipped up my jacket and it's not even leather!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I had A GIRL tell me that I looked really bad rear end the first time I had my gear on at school. :c00l:

Plus, all the padding/armor in my Icon jacket makes me look like I actually have some arm muscles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any commonly known problems with the old 84-85 Honda V4 Sabre 1100s besides the cam oiling issues?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

8ender posted:

I really want to get one of those for south Europe used, but it doesn't have any removable wind breaker / waterproof liner right? I can only justify buying extra gear if it has additional purpose, like usable for the random pillion back home in non-mesh-land. Looks really really cool indeed.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ola posted:

I really want to get one of those for south Europe used, but it doesn't have any removable wind breaker / waterproof liner right? I can only justify buying extra gear if it has additional purpose, like usable for the random pillion back home in non-mesh-land. Looks really really cool indeed.

Theres two models. The one doesn't have a removable liner, the other does. There is a C or at the end of the model number. That said if I could do it again I'd spring for the one with the liner. Its a glorious jacket when its warm out though.

Heres the one with the liner:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/39/14486/ITEM/Yoshimura-AF-C-Mesh-Cordura-Jacket.aspx

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Z3n posted:

Any commonly known problems with the old 84-85 Honda V4 Sabre 1100s besides the cam oiling issues?

Nothing I'm aware of, other than Honda engineering + V4 architecture = carb work could be interesting.

If you snag one, post it up. V65 Sabre is #1 on my wish list.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

Nothing I'm aware of, other than Honda engineering + V4 architecture = carb work could be interesting.

If you snag one, post it up. V65 Sabre is #1 on my wish list.

There's a guy with 2 (one parts bike with a supposedly working motor) and a good, current bike with a blown engine, for sale for 400$. :sigh: Deals are so hard to pass up :(

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Speaking of the V65 Sabre I was beside one riding the other day and it had a badass exhaust note. Stock pipes too.

The middle aged woman riding it was very excited that I gave her a thumbs up. :unsmith:

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
i look like a dork from a sci fi B movie in my gear

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I feel like a super hero in my gear

Black leather might be hot, but drat is it hot

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In these:

I feel like this:

But my friends think I look like one of these:

Advice to my internet friends: Flip safe search to ON when image googlig "leather gay".

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

VTNewb posted:

I just want to point out that the best rider I know, and winner of new england trials A group a couple times rides everything wearing only a helmet, boots, and mechanic gloves.

Yes, because some other guy who is a good rider doesn't even wear pants when riding (:haw:), then that means you will never crash and rash up your legs. :rolleyes:

Just because other people do something doesn't mean it's a good idea.

(For the record, I wear regular jeans when riding too, although I know it's not a good idea. When people ask, I still recommend they follow AGATT.)

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Ola posted:

Rocketeer

I feel that way when i ride on the highway. I feel like whenever I turn my head to check the lane next to me I am steering my bike.

Now if only I had some nazis to fight

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

BlueBayou posted:

Now if only I had some nazis to fight

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I rarely don't wear riding pants, which is amusing considering the last time I had a fall I banged up a knee pretty well but the rest of me was fine

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Ola posted:

But BMW riders are always kind, white haired, older men that just want to ride for a couple thousand miles to some obscure vineyard. They're hard to hate.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

8ender posted:

But BMW riders are always kind, white haired, older men that just want to ride for a couple thousand miles to some obscure vineyard. They're hard to hate.

Old whitehairs or Ewan McGregor :swoon:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Driving home after work today I had a guy fly by me on some super sport squidding it out with a full face, tee shirt and shorts. At the next light he tried to take downhill right going way too loving fast, locked up his rear brake and nearly lost the bike before running way wide through the turn lane and into the oncoming lane of the side road.

Fucker's drat lucky there was no traffic on that side road, or he'd be missing a lot of skin or worse. I hope he got scared shitless enough to not ride like a douchebag if not actually wear some gear.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

8ender posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Boat posted:

Driving home after work today I had a guy fly by me on some super sport squidding it out with a full face, tee shirt and shorts. At the next light he tried to take downhill right going way too loving fast, locked up his rear brake and nearly lost the bike before running way wide through the turn lane and into the oncoming lane of the side road.

Fucker's drat lucky there was no traffic on that side road, or he'd be missing a lot of skin or worse. I hope he got scared shitless enough to not ride like a douchebag if not actually wear some gear.

gently caress, that reminds me of an incident awhile back when my g/f had just gotten her SV. I was on the 929, we're riding along a long straight section of road with a light about halfway through that leads into a sweeping right hander. You'd have to go around 130-140 through there to really make it a real corner.

This kid blows past me at like, +20mph. Not a big deal, we pull up to the stop light, it goes green, he punches it, I punch it after him (I was still quite a squid myself). We're approaching the turn, he's got a bit of a jump on me, I'm coming up on him as I turn into the corner...and all of the sudden he mashes both brakes, and stands the bike up. We're doing like 70mph, if that, it's hardly even a corner at that speed. I lean into the corner a bit more as he runs it really wide. It's a divided road, but I'm concerned he's going to run off into the trees. A little ways up the road he catches up, and we have this conversation:

:confused: Dude, are you ok?
:cthulhu: Aww yeah, man, I just wanted to uhh, make sure that you were still behind me! Is that thing fast? I'm gonna buy one soon!
:confused: Uhh...dude, you really shouldn't jam on the brakes like that in a corner, it's just not a good idea.
:cthulhu: Nah dude, it's cool, I just wanted to park it on the shoulder. We should go riding some time, you looked pretty good there!
(my g/f pulls up on her SV)
:cthulhu: OH MAN she's GOT HER OWN BIKE THAT IS SO COOL!
:confused: Uhh...yeah. Well, we need to get back, it was nice to meet you, ride safe.

loving A. It didn't even occur to me until later that he blew the gently caress out of that corner and I was about 10 feet from pulling pieces of him and his bike out of the center divider. :sigh: