Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I'm going with

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4993

But with a YJ, I had black aftermarket hinges that have the 4 holes for CJ style mirrors. I ran those and took the mirrors of the full steel doors.

You can also drill the holes and mount the cj style mirrors. NC only requires a driver side exterior mirror and that's all I used, I hate the CJ style passenger mirror.
"My bad" as they say - mine's a TJ (I used to own a YJ). But those mirrors will still work, so thanks for the linkaroni!

Grater posted:

Install of the TrekTop is all done. Aside from some slightly vague instructions it went well. I have only driven around the block with it but so far it's decent. I'll know more in the next few days.
I'm curious as to how durable the TrekTop is, so please let me/us know as you drive around with it. Is it easier to take down and put up than a factory top?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Sasquatch! posted:

I'm curious as to how durable the TrekTop is, so please let me/us know as you drive around with it. Is it easier to take down and put up than a factory top?
Durability seems fine, but I don't have a factory soft top to compare it to. I drove around with it yesterday and so far there is a LOT of wind noise coming from the header bar. So much that it drowns out normal conversation. I emailed Bestop so hopefully I either installed it wrong or have a defective header (I'm nearly certain I installed it correctly though). In addition I screwed up where I put the velcro for the tailgate (instructions weren't great). I also emailed Bestop about getting some replacement velcro.

The nice thing about it is that when installed it's tight as a drum, zero flapping on the highway. It also looks great and seems pretty easy to use. I'll see if I can get it working better and then report back. I also have yet to see how waterproof it is, once again I'll see how that goes and let you all know.

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

The only reason to watch...
I've been trying to get my Jeep back up to 100% and I am having some troubles. The A/C is giving me fits. I was testing it out today and the compressor would kick on for about 10 seconds, then kick off. It would then repeat this cycle. No cold air was blowing out the vents. Any ideas as to whats going on here?

EDIT: 98 XJ

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
The main cause of fast clutch cycling is a low refrigerant level.

Have you already had it evacuated and recharged?

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

I was attempting to recharge it. I connected the hose and pressure gauge and the pressure gauge would fluctuate when the compressor kicked on. I didn't know what to do in this circumstance and didn't want to blow anything up. Any suggestions?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
When I turn my XJ more than 15 degrees to the left or right while moving at slow speeds, I get a rhythmic knock/bang/clunk, I think on the left, but that could be driver's side bias. I looked underneath on both sides and cranked the wheel back and forth and couldn't see any problems, so I'm guessing ball joint.

I just replaced some Ford 28 spline axles in another vehicle, so I'm feeling confident and thinking about trying this out. How hard is a ball joint repair/replacement on an XJ? Are there any resources online that might help me? Trying to save a few hundred bucks :/

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

xopher.white posted:

Are there any resources online that might help me? Trying to save a few hundred bucks :/

There are more than a few great Jeep Enthusiast forums out there. I'm sorry I don't have links, it's been a few years since I've visited them. Seek them out, they have EVERYTHING you'll need to know about your Jeep. The guys I remember in the few different forums I visited put together D.I.Y. repair walk-throughs that put any Chilton or Haynes manual to utter shame... complete step-by-step photos for the first timers too.

Good Luck !

ph4lcon
Apr 23, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

Yeah, you were right. Did some late night research last night and found out you have to charge it when the compressor kicks on.

It's nice to have A/C again. :cool:

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

SinJin posted:

There are more than a few great Jeep Enthusiast forums out there. I'm sorry I don't have links, it's been a few years since I've visited them. Seek them out, they have EVERYTHING you'll need to know about your Jeep. The guys I remember in the few different forums I visited put together D.I.Y. repair walk-throughs that put any Chilton or Haynes manual to utter shame... complete step-by-step photos for the first timers too.

Good Luck !

A google search will turn up several, but he can start at Jeepforum and Pirate4x4. Some good info on both of those sites.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

DILLIGAF posted:

A google search will turn up several, but he can start at Jeepforum and Pirate4x4. Some good info on both of those sites.

Careful on pirate, ask in the wrong forum and get 30 pages of fawker,nub,noob,and gtfo.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

Careful on pirate, ask in the wrong forum and get 30 pages of fawker,nub,noob,and gtfo.

Pirate is almost a textbook example with whats wrong with automotive forums. There is a wealth of technical knowledge there but you have to sort through the bullshit. Never mind getting blasted with "use the search" or "that's not hard core enough", etc.

I had a laugh at the pirate sponsored "King of the Hammers" movie.. poorly edited, poor vision, they were trying to emulate Dust to Glory and failed horribly.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

for XJ's the best place has to be NAXJA.org tons of info just about the XJ there.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

xopher.white posted:

When I turn my XJ more than 15 degrees to the left or right while moving at slow speeds, I get a rhythmic knock/bang/clunk, I think on the left, but that could be driver's side bias. I looked underneath on both sides and cranked the wheel back and forth and couldn't see any problems, so I'm guessing ball joint.

I just replaced some Ford 28 spline axles in another vehicle, so I'm feeling confident and thinking about trying this out. How hard is a ball joint repair/replacement on an XJ? Are there any resources online that might help me? Trying to save a few hundred bucks :/

I get the same thing, but it feels like its coming from the rear...

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

xopher.white posted:

Goto Jeepforums. They rock, ive been a member there since 03.

Also, U-joint?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Veeb0rg posted:

for XJ's the best place has to be NAXJA.org tons of info just about the XJ there.

One of the guys on JF wrote a book on the drat things: http://www.ericsxj.com/book.htm

Nthing the pirate4x4 disdain. Unless you can weld all of your own stuff and with machine-like precision, you're basically a piece of poo poo 'n00b' over there. JF has its share of wannabe elitists who jump at the chance to scream about 'repost' or 'search' but then there's always a handful of guys like Jerry Bransford and Eric who have been there for years and will articulate their answers the same way every time no matter who you are or your experience level. Been a member there since '04 and have saved probably a few grand in just being able to look at some of the write ups and doing my own repairs and upgrades.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

I never post there, but I do read the threads... I stick with the more n00b friendly JKOwners (owned and operated by Pirate, but seems to be a lot friendlier.)

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit

Philip J Fry posted:

One of the guys on JF wrote a book on the drat things: http://www.ericsxj.com/book.htm

Nthing the pirate4x4 disdain. Unless you can weld all of your own stuff and with machine-like precision, you're basically a piece of poo poo 'n00b' over there. JF has its share of wannabe elitists who jump at the chance to scream about 'repost' or 'search' but then there's always a handful of guys like Jerry Bransford and Eric who have been there for years and will articulate their answers the same way every time no matter who you are or your experience level. Been a member there since '04 and have saved probably a few grand in just being able to look at some of the write ups and doing my own repairs and upgrades.

Eric is awesome and im basing my XJ off his build.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I made a thread for my adventures with the new Jeep here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3154012

First adventure: RADIATOR!

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I read something about the intake manifold being different on the 99-newer XJs, WJs, and YJs..it's more efficient to make up for a more efficient exhaust...something along those lines. Can I just pick one up from a junkyard for my '97 ZJ for a few extra HP? I realize there's a Jeep thread, but maybe some WJ knowledge would answer my quesiton.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

angryhampster posted:

I read something about the intake manifold being different on the 99-newer XJs, WJs, and YJs..it's more efficient to make up for a more efficient exhaust...something along those lines. Can I just pick one up from a junkyard for my '97 ZJ for a few extra HP? I realize there's a Jeep thread, but maybe some WJ knowledge would answer my quesiton.

Haha, I wondered what that post in my thread was about. :haw:

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Sup Jeep people. I'm currently trying to find an old CJ. Right now I'm looking at a 64 Willys CJ6 w/ a 302, an 84 CJ7 I6, and an 81 Scrambler V8. I'd love to get the 6 since it's rare and awesome and gently caress, but it's going to probably come down to price, which is unknown on the CJ7 and 8. 5's aren't out of the question, just haven't found one yet. If anyone has something in a barn in the Houston TX area (work) or in Eastern NC (home), or hell anywhere in the lower 48, let me know!

I currently have a forever project old trooper that I did a SAS on, gears, lockers, and 38.5's, but it's one thing after another getting that last 5% done. I've always loved old 4x4's and I'm tired of just having yard art, so a running CJ will fit the bill. Well...unless I come across a running FJ40, early bronco, or scout 80/800 for a good deal :D The good thing about the trooper is I can throw the axles/tires under whatever and be ready to rock (as long as it has a pass drop t-case).

Anyway, hopefully I'll have some cool poo poo to post pretty soon.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

angryhampster posted:

yes, yes you can. Its basically a straight bolt up for you. Earlier jeeps have to change the power steering pump bracket. some vacuum lines need re-arranged and some wire connectors might not be in the same place, but its fairly simple.

I have one and a 62mm throttlebody waiting for the rain to stop *and some free time* so I can get em installed.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Paulie posted:

or hell anywhere in the lower 48, let me know!

If you're really serious about this, there is a nearly mint CJ5 just a few blocks from my house. The only thing is that it's been for sale for months, so I think something must be seriously wrong, or badly priced. If you'd like me to take a look I'd be glad to. I'm in the Seattle area.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

incredibull posted:

If you're really serious about this, there is a nearly mint CJ5 just a few blocks from my house. The only thing is that it's been for sale for months, so I think something must be seriously wrong, or badly priced. If you'd like me to take a look I'd be glad to. I'm in the Seattle area.

If it's mint then it probably a price thing. If you happen to pass by at some point and see the owner and just get the basic stats, that would be mighty cool of you. My email is paulevans76 at gmail if you end up with anything to share. Thanks.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008
Can someone tell me why in God's name it is so hard to change the oil filter on my 08 JK? I've been unable to find a filter wrench that is small enough to accommodate it. It also doesn't help that every goddam thing is in the way to prevent me from getting any kind of leverage on it.

2nd question, I noticed in the users manual that at 12,000 miles I need to change the air conditioner filter. I did some googling, and all I found was "hurr hurr, only pussies have air conditioning, when it's hot I roll down the window", and someone else mentioned that it didn't have one. So, is there really an air conditioner filter, and if so, where is it, and how the hell do I change it?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

carlcarlson posted:

2nd question, I noticed in the users manual that at 12,000 miles I need to change the air conditioner filter.

Unless you got a bum copy of the manual, the only air filter listed should be the engine air cleaner filter (which is changed at 12K).

The JK doesn't have a cabin air filter, even as an accessory.

carlcarlson
Jun 20, 2008

Molten Llama posted:

Unless you got a bum copy of the manual, the only air filter listed should be the engine air cleaner filter (which is changed at 12K).

The JK doesn't have a cabin air filter, even as an accessory.

I guess it's a bum manual then, which makes me a little nervous about other possible screw ups.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

carlcarlson posted:

and all I found was "hurr hurr, only pussies have air conditioning, when it's hot I roll down the window",

gently caress that offroad dick waving. Having AC blow on my feet in my Jeep is quite possibly the best goddamn thing EVER.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

gently caress that offroad dick waving. Having AC blow on my feet in my Jeep is quite possibly the best goddamn thing EVER.

Hell, its almost required in a cherokee..

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Picked up a used set of Rubi rock rails for $50. Gotta get them sanded down and repainted....

Going to use them as a base to build some rails that are more useful. Pics in the AM when I start working on them.

Edit: Completely forgot about taking pics while they were stripped down...

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 21, 2009

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
First a 99TJ with a turbo out of a 7.3L Ford Powerstroke Diesel

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
Next an Olympic 153 - A/T Slider Rear Bumper

FIRST. The washers were too small. - Trip to Tractor Supply.
THEN. I find that I can't close the tailgate with the spare tire mounted.

SO.

I am going to try a Tomken Machine Oversize Spare Tire Adapter because it says:

quote:

This bracket allows for the mounting of an oversized spare tire in the factory tailgate mount location. Powder Coated Black Finish, for 33-35 inch spares.

Anyways, here's a crappy phone pic.

I aint blurring out my plate. Come gently caress me in my sleep. :q:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tossed_Salad_Man fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 21, 2009

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Couple of pics from this weekend:

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

Braincloud posted:

drat man, those look like you ripped advertisements out of a magazine.. beautiful pictures, great location, I'm very jealous.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Braincloud posted:

I hate you. Really.

Ok, not really.

I wish there was a spot like that around here.... I have got to get out and get some pictures. I usually spend most of my time taking pictures of everyone else and forget about my Jeep.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Braincloud posted:

Is that Manastash/Tripod Flats? Looks familiar but I've only ever been in the winter when everything is covered in snow.

I hate you, too. My poor Cherokee is stock until work cuts me loose with my severance. Then it'll be go-hog-wild time.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Philip J Fry posted:

Is that Manastash/Tripod Flats?

No, that was on 4WD327, a Jeep trail I didn't know existed until I happened upon it while looking for a geocache this weekend. It's on the Teanaway side, near Red Top lookout. Windy as hell up there and cold to boot!

The approach to where I'm parked was long, steep (40 to 50 degree), strewn with some decent sized boulders, and loose dirt. The only line up one patch puts your front right tire down into a divot and then popped it up, aiming you straight for the sky. Fun trail!

I was up at Tripod Memorial Day weekend, still some snow up there and muddy as poo poo. Going back in a few weeks to see how much of the trails are snowfree now.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Braincloud posted:

No, that was on 4WD327, a Jeep trail I didn't know existed until I happened upon it while looking for a geocache this weekend. It's on the Teanaway side, near Red Top lookout. Windy as hell up there and cold to boot!

The approach to where I'm parked was long, steep (40 to 50 degree), strewn with some decent sized boulders, and loose dirt. The only line up one patch puts your front right tire down into a divot and then popped it up, aiming you straight for the sky. Fun trail!

I was up at Tripod Memorial Day weekend, still some snow up there and muddy as poo poo. Going back in a few weeks to see how much of the trails are snowfree now.

drat I was just up in that area several weeks ago, but nearer Ellensburg at Taneum. There are so many FS trails there it's not even funny. We just made sure we had a full tank of gas, set of tools, and went until we found someplace to camp. Didn't see a single person out there, until we decided to view the canyon sunset naked (really, don't ask) and then a truck came out of nowhere up one of the trails behind our site.

Bonus pic.. Probably something you'll rarely see. We were walking towards the edge of the ridge to have our dinner and watch another sunset and we came upon this baby elk.. Hair was still matted and it was barely strong enough to stand, couldn't have been more than several hours old, but mom and the herd were nowhere to be seen, possibly chased off by a cougar, but it sure didn't go for the easy kill. I came back in the morning and checked and it was gone, no blood trail, so mom probably came back.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
So you guys are on Forest Service roads? Any chance there is anything remotely like that on the east coast?

I know in NC there is Uwharrie, and from what I understand Tellico is closed.

I'd love to find some places to go that isn't slap loving packed like Uwharrie, but also not get shot for trespassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Can anyone tell me what seats bolt into what other Jeeps?

I drive a 96 Cherokee with cloth seats. If I can easily bolt leather seats from another Jeep into my truck, I'd look into doing so.