Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

Kenning posted:

I was getting into go a year or two ago and then I sorta fell out of it when I didn't have anyone to play with in person and online matches were taking too long. No classes now though, so I may have to check this SA KGS club out!

I never play more than 15 seconds per turn. You can set the byo-yomi to 15 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Planeshifter2 posted:

Oh hey, I'm also from Philly and had no idea we had a Go club. I'll have to check this out sometime.

There's also this:

http://chapters.usgo.org/penngo/

So you really have your pick.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
fuuck I hate when hardcore anime kids actually wind up good at go it makes me want to kill myself on my go board

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

fuuck I hate when hardcore anime kids actually wind up good at go it makes me want to kill myself on my go board

Seriously. Do chess players have to deal with this kind of frustration?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I think chess just attracts garden-variety nerds, who are much more tolerable

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Pillow Face posted:

The location makes it look like some sort of underground gambling ring or some poo poo, haha.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't just look like some sort of undergound gambling ring...

Man I envy you philly go goons. Where are all the ChicaGOons?

However, this guy you're talking about does seem kind of weird and neckbearded to me. I used to be an anime kid going on 10 years ago (my heady jr high days). Now I just want to punch all the dweebs I see walking around with naruto headbands around their necks. I guess what I'm saying is Hikaru No Go was a double edge sword.

Also added for wtf content: The other day at the library an anime kid with a naruto headband around his neck came up to the reference desk asking where the 531 non fiction section was, showing me a call number he had written down. Nothing wrong with that, right? Only something was wrong...he wrote the 5 backwards...he must have been at least 14.

Blendy fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 19, 2009

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

So it's suuuuuuper slow at work right now, and to keep myself from falling asleep I made this. And yes I now know that i should have started closer to the left side. But f' going back and fixing that.

Click here for the full 692x577 image.

Mez
Jun 23, 2008

Blendy posted:

I'm pretty sure it doesn't just look like some sort of undergound gambling ring...

Man I envy you philly go goons. Where are all the ChicaGOons?

I'm three hours south in urbana-champaign does that count )-:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Mez posted:

I'm three hours south in urbana-champaign does that count )-:

It would count more if you were three hours north. but close enough :)

Blendy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 20, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Ahahaha that is genius. If I cared enough, I would crop that board and use it as my avatar.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I'm a ChicaGOon! I just go to the Schaumburg one, and there's a new one on Wednesdays in Downer's Grove that's... well... new. Still kind of a "board game" night rather than a Go club. How's Rockford?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
you guys can all shut the hell up about not having enough go clubs, I live in Fargo

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
the go scene in fargo is every bit as scintillating as you may imagine (its me, I am the go scene in fargo)

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Pillow Face posted:

Ahahaha that is genius. If I cared enough, I would crop that board and use it as my avatar.

No pressure to actually use it, but I thought I'd make it for you anyway. It's 141x200 and <7kb so it should work perfectly. Alternatively if you can find other 8bit pixel art large enough I can tell pixel to stone ratio than I could make you or anyone something different.

Quad posted:

I'm a ChicaGOon! I just go to the Schaumburg one, and there's a new one on Wednesdays in Downer's Grove that's... well... new. Still kind of a "board game" night rather than a Go club. How's Rockford?

I thought the Schaumburg one is really far south? I just got my apartment the other day. It's in Logan Sq. How close/far are you and the clubs?

Urban Renewal posted:

the go scene in fargo is every bit as scintillating as you may imagine (its me, I am the go scene in fargo)

I'd join that scene...if we could also put a dude in a wood chipper. Not me, but you know, some dude.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Lyon posted:

I am near Philly lol

I had no idea there were so many go goons near Philly! We should find some halfway point between us so we can play a game someday. In person.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

qxan posted:

I had no idea there were so many go goons near Philly! We should find some halfway point between us so we can play a game someday. In person.

Yeah, I'd probably be down if there was a time/place that worked and you guys aren't weirdos. If this new job goes well and I make decent money I'd probably move out to Conshohocken or Manayunk. So Pillow Face is from Delaware, qxan is in West Chester, I'm in Doylestown, and PlaneShifter2 is actually in Philly?

Yeah John is definitely strange, I'd be interested to hear more interesting stories about him when they occur. Also, don't give him a dime for go help unless you decide to actually hire him through his website for whatever. I'm sure that's exactly what you're thinking/doing but I just wanted to state it anyway.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008

Lyon posted:

Yeah, I'd probably be down if there was a time/place that worked and you guys aren't weirdos. If this new job goes well and I make decent money I'd probably move out to Conshohocken or Manayunk. So Pillow Face is from Delaware, qxan is in West Chester, I'm in Doylestown, and PlaneShifter2 is actually in Philly?

Yeah John is definitely strange, I'd be interested to hear more interesting stories about him when they occur. Also, don't give him a dime for go help unless you decide to actually hire him through his website for whatever. I'm sure that's exactly what you're thinking/doing but I just wanted to state it anyway.

I'm sadly in Boston at the moment :(

as halfway crooks
Mar 7, 2007

by Shine

Planeshifter2 posted:

I'm sadly in Boston at the moment :(

so am i but im a lil afraid of nerds...

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
Inspired by this thread, a friend and I decided to start playing. We're both at the level where we've finished reading the wikipedia page, and have had some fairly interesting (but horribly unskilled) 9x9 games.

In the meantime, I decided to hop into yahoo games and play a few rounds against random people. After losing 5 times in a row in very similar fashions on a 9x9 board, I tried my first 19x19, which consisted of my initial pieces getting encircled, and repeated failed attempts to start something in the remaining area.

Will check out kgs once I get some more time and recover from the mental effects of that game...

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Cybermg posted:

Inspired by this thread, a friend and I decided to start playing. We're both at the level where we've finished reading the wikipedia page, and have had some fairly interesting (but horribly unskilled) 9x9 games.

In the meantime, I decided to hop into yahoo games and play a few rounds against random people. After losing 5 times in a row in very similar fashions on a 9x9 board, I tried my first 19x19, which consisted of my initial pieces getting encircled, and repeated failed attempts to start something in the remaining area.

Will check out kgs once I get some more time and recover from the mental effects of that game...

It's okay. One of my first games on KGS I think all my stones were captured (or close to it). It's totally cool if you resign around that point.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
When I play with completely new players I usually say: if you can keep a single group alive, you win.

People on KGS are far more likely to give you tips and help you out so you're better off playing there than on yahoo.

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Lyon posted:

I've got a lot going on this summer on the weekends, as we're in the process of selling/buying a house, but once that cools down, I'll be up for a Saturday goon game or something.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
playing on yahoo is like trying to lose your virginity behind wal-mart

even if it works, its probably going to spoil you on the whole experience

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007
I finally got my go books in the post, will post a trip report at some point. Hopefully they'll help pull me out of the funk I've been in over the last week or so and get me crazy about go again.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
post ur loot

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

post ur loot

Let's all post our loot

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Also here are some of the books I got from the library

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Top left to right

one thousand and one life and death problems
graded go problems for beginners vol 2
The direction of play

bottom left to right

life and death (elementary series)
modern joseki and fuseki vol 1
in the beginning (elementary series)
38 basic joseki (elementary series)

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
drat

I'll take a picture of my go loot later, thats a lotta books tho

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

congrats, you never need to play go again

Cybermg
Jul 1, 2005
There's nothing more nerve wracking than watching that hard earned territory you feverishly spent the last 20 minutes burning neurons protecting, suddenly pierced from the corner and eaten away. Except maybe the fact that my connection was dying, and I was hoping to god that each move would make it to the server before yet another byo-yomi expired.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
here's a nice bit of encouragement for us scrubs: you can make moves like this and still get to be a 3k!

Click here for the full 767x753 image.

This game went on to be a full-length laugh-o-rama ending in a resign after white gets down by 100 points

Urban Renewal fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 25, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Urban Renewal posted:

here's a nice bit of encouragement for us scrubs: you can make moves like this and still get to be a 3k!

I don't know whether I should feel encouraged or depressed =/

Muffin Loaf
Aug 9, 2006

You muffin to me?
You muffin to ME?
For people asking about where to get a cheap Go board/set, I would like to toss in a vote for making your own first Go board. It's really easy, kind of fun, and very cheap! I'll post some pictures later but basically just:

-cut out a nice big square of cardboard from a large box. Make it a little bigger than you want to end up with so you can trim it precisely.

-print/rasterbate an appropriately sized copy of a blank board image. I used a quarter-board image and flipped it around appropriately in an image editor.

-Tape that poo poo down carefully and precisely, cut off excess cardboard.

-Go to a craft store and buy a lot of black and white glass beads and put them in 2 bowls

-Rock out with your new Go board!

It's kind of cheapo but also rather satisfying and personalized. It can look pretty decent if you take the time to do a good job.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
hmmm... It's been a few years since I've played, and even then I was still a total newb, so maybe I'll hop on KGS tonight after work and let you guys stomp on me.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
For anyone still on the fence about starting, now seems to be a good time because we've had a big flood of new people coming in so you'll have plenty of company

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.
So, I'm gonna be in Denver July 25th-28th, Vegas July 29th-August 3rd, and DC August 4th-9th. Anyone near those areas wanna play go in real irl? I can get day passes for the Go Congress for anyone who can make it out to DC.

I am nexterh ~5k on kgs

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I could possibly do DC on those dates. No promises because I have no idea what will be going on two months from now, but I live relatively close and have a number of friends in DC.

I'm Scatter on KGS.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

so which of you trust fund babies has the two hundred thousand dollars for the cover charge at the go congress

me, I just spent all my money on this spoon so I am gonna stay home and eat some dirt. Maybe I will get lucky and find a worm

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I kinda want to see if I can get to and attend the go congress for free. it can't be that hard, hotels have lots of entrances

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Urban Renewal posted:

I kinda want to see if I can get to and attend the go congress for free. it can't be that hard, hotels have lots of entrances

Yes, but conference rooms typically only have one.

Anyway my birthdays coming up and I figured I'd get some books. Are there any books that are beginner friendly, that are more than 'here are the rules of go'. I have a big print out of life/death problems so other problem books would be nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

Senor P. posted:

Yes, but conference rooms typically only have one.

Anyway my birthdays coming up and I figured I'd get some books. Are there any books that are beginner friendly, that are more than 'here are the rules of go'. I have a big print out of life/death problems so other problem books would be nice.

I sort of figure it takes up the better part of a hotel, am I picturing this too large?

Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go is the top basics book that gets tossed around in ITGO. I haven't yet read it myself, but I plan to.