Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Nolen, that's a pretty scarf!
Malleus, congrats on your first hat, and welcome to Ravelry! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

This is easily the best thread on these forums. There is no debate.

I'm a newish knitter, only been doing it since January, but I've been crocheting for about 2 years. I like knitting more and I've kind of abandoned crochet except for certain applications where it's usually just more convenient than knitting for whatever reason (edging, drawstrings, circular bases for dice bags, coasters, etc).

Currently tackling my first project using DPNs. I've knit in the round with circs before, but now I'm trying my hand(s) at size 2 Knitpicks nickel-plated brass sticks.

Jacoby mitts with Knitpicks Essential/Stroll sock yarn. :toot:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Cynodont posted:

This is easily the best thread on these forums. There is no debate.

I'm a newish knitter, only been doing it since January, but I've been crocheting for about 2 years. I like knitting more and I've kind of abandoned crochet except for certain applications where it's usually just more convenient than knitting for whatever reason (edging, drawstrings, circular bases for dice bags, coasters, etc).

Currently tackling my first project using DPNs. I've knit in the round with circs before, but now I'm trying my hand(s) at size 2 Knitpicks nickel-plated brass sticks.

Jacoby mitts with Knitpicks Essential/Stroll sock yarn. :toot:

Sup Knitpicks socks buddy? My two skeins of Imagination in Wicked Witch came in yesterday; I'll be starting my Monkeys tomorrow!

I also use DPNs for round projects, but it's because I can't stand the feel of circs. I have a blanket on circulars right now and I can't even stand to work on it because of all that loopy bullshit.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Woo, just finished my first felted project, for a relative's kid who wants a cat, but whose parents are allergic.

I did it with a strand of a wool and a strand of fun fur together. The idea is that the wool felts and the fun fur doesn't, forming a "solid" fabric with the fur coming out. I was worried for a bit since there seemed to be so many gaping holes before felting (it was done with size 11 and 13 needles) but was pleasantly surprised when the felting process just filled all of them up. The thing ended up pretty darn big; it's about 18 inches long from the front of the head to the tip of the tail--almost life-size.

The ears and eyes are a little uneven and fixing mistakes was hellish with that fun fur concealing where one stitch began and one stitch ended, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I'm thinking of maybe finding some fishing line to make whiskers out of before giving it away.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Genpei Turtle posted:

Woo, just finished my first felted project, for a relative's kid who wants a cat, but whose parents are allergic.

I did it with a strand of a wool and a strand of fun fur together. The idea is that the wool felts and the fun fur doesn't, forming a "solid" fabric with the fur coming out. I was worried for a bit since there seemed to be so many gaping holes before felting (it was done with size 11 and 13 needles) but was pleasantly surprised when the felting process just filled all of them up. The thing ended up pretty darn big; it's about 18 inches long from the front of the head to the tip of the tail--almost life-size.

The ears and eyes are a little uneven and fixing mistakes was hellish with that fun fur concealing where one stitch began and one stitch ended, but I'm pretty happy with the way it came out. I'm thinking of maybe finding some fishing line to make whiskers out of before giving it away.

That's pretty drat adorable! It just looks so huggable and squishable :keke:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Genpei Turtle posted:

It reminds me of that fake fox stole knitting pattern/kit that pretty much convinced me pick up knitting in the first place.

Man, I gotta find that pattern again. :v:

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Still no Aeolian blocking, but I thought I'd attempt blocking a lesser shawl first (after Snowdrop shawl self-destructed) and one that I started a few years ago.

So here's Elann's Forget-Me-Not Shawl in Kidsilk Haze, which is awful to knit in the Summer.

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

Genpei Turtle posted:

This is cute! Reminds me of Spaghetti Cat...

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Molly Bloom posted:

Still no Aeolian blocking, but I thought I'd attempt blocking a lesser shawl first (after Snowdrop shawl self-destructed) and one that I started a few years ago.

So here's Elann's Forget-Me-Not Shawl in Kidsilk Haze, which is awful to knit in the Summer.

Wow, that is really nice. That must have been a lot of fun to knit; I love complicated patterns with lots of increases and decreases characteristic of lace stuff.

I still have absolutely no clue how blocking works--one of my friends says that it will cure virtually any kind of unevenness but I've been too nervous to try it for fear I'll just make the thing worse.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Genpei Turtle posted:

Wow, this is really cool! Felting is so much fun. I never would have thought of making a felted cat! :D

Molly Bloom, that's a seriously impressive shawl. Great job! :)

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.

Malleus Maleficarum posted:

I also use DPNs for round projects, but it's because I can't stand the feel of circs. I have a blanket on circulars right now and I can't even stand to work on it because of all that loopy bullshit.

If you're talking about the cables looping around and causing problems, try the KnitPicks ones. The cable is much more supple and doesn't curl up the way the cheaper store ones do.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Wandering Knitter posted:

It reminds me of that fake fox stole knitting pattern/kit that pretty much convinced me pick up knitting in the first place.

Man, I gotta find that pattern again. :v:

This guy?

Anyway, I've been trying to make some knitted bangles and I'm finding that I just don't like magic loop all that much. Even with the KnitPicks circulars, it's still too much of a hassle (although it's also possible that I'm just terrible at it). I'm gonna stick with DPNs for smaller stuff, I guess.

Molly Bloom, that shawl is great. :)

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Adorable.

Reminds me of this:

Click here for the full 600x547 image.

http://harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=143

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Z Is Overrated posted:

This guy?

Yes, that's it! Every year I read over the pattern and just when I start looking for the right yarn I remember a birthday or holiday coming up that I need to knit for. I can't remember the last time I knitted for myself.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

guaranteed posted:

If you're talking about the cables looping around and causing problems, try the KnitPicks ones. The cable is much more supple and doesn't curl up the way the cheaper store ones do.

That's almost certainly the problem; I wanted to start NOW DAMMIT and therefore grabbed some cheapass Susan Bates ones from JoAnn. :smith:

That cat is adorable! I think furry toys are about the only legitimate use that Fun Fur will ever have.

guaranteed
Nov 24, 2004

Do not take apart gun by yourself, it will cause the trouble and dangerous.
Yeah, I was going to get rid of my Susan Bates needles entirely, until it occurred to me that I could use them to hold projects I wasn't working on at the time. They're a royal pain.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

That's almost certainly the problem; I wanted to start NOW DAMMIT and therefore grabbed some cheapass Susan Bates ones from JoAnn. :smith:

That cat is adorable! I think furry toys are about the only legitimate use that Fun Fur will ever have.

You can straighten the cheap needles some-I only own one pair of Addis, and the rest are Pony cheap circs. I boil water in my kettle, stick the needles in a bowl and then pour the water in. When it's cooled off enough to reach in, grap your circs and pull cord taut. It takes care of the worst of the kinking and has never hurt my needles.

Cheers for comments on the shawl. Will be blocking Aeolian next- what the heck, here it is. The people that lived here before made evrything in this place poo brown, I am sorry.

Molly Bloom fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jun 23, 2009

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I use my hair dryer to straighten loopy chords.

Kirea
Feb 21, 2007
I was told to try posting this here. My room mate and I have been trying to figure out what these things are. Her mom found them at a thrift store and bought them because they looked neat. Does anyone recognize what they are used for? It was suggested it might have something to do with spinning yarn.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
FINALLY finished my 3rd pair of socks:

pattern: Uptown Socks from the Favorite Socks book

Sadly none of them are for me so the next pair are for me :)

Cawie McFuckyou
May 2, 2008

Very small owl handbag. The colors in this picture are kinda gross (it looks almost pink to me), but it's a nice mixture of browns in actuality.

Wallet/coinpurse. This is the first zipper I've ever put in anything, but for Reginald, it was worth it.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Here is my greatest knitting/goon accomplishment so far, this was my husband's Christmas present:

I made this dude for my friend who had a baby, and his nickname is Mr. Penishands due to the unfortunate shape/color of his little paws. It was my first attempt knitting something that wasn't a square and unfortunately you can see his stuffing:

This is my favorite hat.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Please tell me the Megaman hat is on Ravelry so I can fav it.

Count Choculitis
Sep 13, 2007

I love you, Shepard. I always have. I want to understand what this is between us... and make it real.
I'm not a very good knitter, but I just finished an R2D2 hat. It's not perfect, but it was my first time using duplicate stitching and I haven't knitted in a while, so I don't mind the errors. I think it's cute as hell. :)

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Please tell me the Megaman hat is on Ravelry so I can fav it.

Thanks! :) Yep, I have it on there, there are a couple of them now. The original was from a blog post my husband saw on 1up. My username there is Akemikatze.

Lackadaisical
Nov 8, 2005

Adj: To Not Give A Shit
I didn't even know Ravelry existed until I just read the past page or two! I just signed up and joined what I think is the goon group. Is it the one called "Show me your knits"?

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Lackadaisical posted:

I didn't even know Ravelry existed until I just read the past page or two! I just signed up and joined what I think is the goon group. Is it the one called "Show me your knits"?

Yup, that's the one.

There's another group that's pretty goon-friendly as well called Lazy, Stupid and Godless, if you're interested.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004

Lackadaisical posted:

Just joined :) Thanks for pointing this out.

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.
Just joined myself. I'm Modgonne over there- and bad about taking pictures.

Zombina
Nov 25, 2007

brains...
I just joined the SA group on Ravelry (Zombina87). I'm very very new to knitting. I've only finished one project (a scarf for a 1 year old!)so far.

I just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying this thread! It shows me what I can acheive with some practice. :)

When I get a chance I will post some pictures.

Zombina
Nov 25, 2007

brains...
Here are a couple of photos of my first project! It's a scarf for my almost one year old neice, Nat :)

I would really appreciate some feedback or advice :)

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Genpei Turtle posted:

Oh my god, do you have a pattern for this? I WANT TO MAKE A CAT ARMY

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Zombina posted:

Here are a couple of photos of my first project! It's a scarf for my almost one year old neice, Nat :)

Is that seriously your first project!? Holy crap I am envious how even those stitches are. My first scarf was an absolute abomination. What size needles did you do it in?

Shnooks posted:

Oh my god, do you have a pattern for this? I WANT TO MAKE A CAT ARMY

It's not free, but it's here.

Zombina
Nov 25, 2007

brains...

Genpei Turtle posted:

Is that seriously your first project!? Holy crap I am envious how even those stitches are. My first scarf was an absolute abomination. What size needles did you do it in?

Yeah it's my first project :) I used a size 10 needle. Next up is a beanie in the same wool to match! I will post the results, it may take a while to finish though!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Zombina posted:

Your tension is perfect! Your stitches are so nice and even, and that's really hard to do with solid-colored yarn.

Rilae
Apr 10, 2007
Disinclined to acquiesce to your request
I am so jealous of everyone's beautiful projects! I'm trying to learn the craft myself, but I could barely get the slip knot down, so I may be a hopeless cause. I have a knitting board and round loom, I"m getting better with those but still need some practice. I recently got this though (http://www.knitpicks.com/kits/Gurumi_Family_Kit__D40097.html) and would love to complete it but seeing as I can't even do a basic stitch I'm not sure how that is going to work.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rilae posted:

I am so jealous of everyone's beautiful projects! I'm trying to learn the craft myself, but I could barely get the slip knot down, so I may be a hopeless cause. I have a knitting board and round loom, I"m getting better with those but still need some practice. I recently got this though (http://www.knitpicks.com/kits/Gurumi_Family_Kit__D40097.html) and would love to complete it but seeing as I can't even do a basic stitch I'm not sure how that is going to work.

Stuffed animals are my absolute favorite thing to knit as they have the most variety of stitches in them; and you're not doing the same pattern over and over again. But they're not a good idea for a first project, because at the absolute minimum you'll need to do knits, purls, increases and decreases well, and in most cases, knitting in the round as well, usually with double-pointed needles. You'll also sometimes have to deal with picking up stitches and/or partial bind-offs.

That said, with just a little bit of practice, it's not hard to pick all of that up--maybe a month or so. In my case, I was absolutely horrible when I started out in January--I started out doing stitches with the right-hand needle sticking straight up, jammed between my knees. I couldn't purl to save my life either. But by the end of March I had knitted my first stuffed animal, this guy. (Actually, he's a really good starter stuffed animal since he involves minimal knitting in the round.)

Start with a garter-stitch scarf, then move on to a scarf that has some purls in it, then you can probably move on to a stuffed animal and learn to do increases and decreases there.

TauntTheOctopi
Mar 5, 2007
As if they could do anything about it!
I made a Sheldon too! Only two months late for a friend's birthday.

I loved the little hermit crab over in the crochet thread, so I came up with my own version. It's not as cute, I don't think.

And another hansigurumi cephalopod, the squid. The pattern has creepy knitted eyes, but I'm going to sew felt ones on instead.

I'm going to have to make the Knitty crab and their trilobite hat! :3:

TauntTheOctopi fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 16, 2009

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

TauntTheOctopi posted:

I loved the little hermit crab over in the crochet thread, so I came up with my own version. It's not as cute, I don't think.

And another hansigurumi cephalopod, the squid. The pattern has creepy knitted eyes, but I'm going to sew felt ones on instead.

I'm glad my hermit crab inspired you to do one of your own knitted instead, and he is just as cute :3:. I find it very hard to make up knitted animals because IMO you have to plan beforehand so you know how many stitches you need on your needle, whereas with crochet I can just make it up as I go along.

That squid is awesome btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggedor
Jan 20, 2006
Eating Babies Since 1987
I think I’ve come to the right place, even though everyone’s way more talented than me… I just finished my first hat, which was my first foray into circular knitting and knitting with double pointed needles. Yay!

So I’ve acquired some yarn from my grandmother and I’m at a loss of what to do with it. It’s about a 1000 grams of worsted weight 100% wool Lady Handicraft Tapestry yarn. Which is not nearly as scratchy as it sounds, but definitely not the kind you’d want to make undies out of.

So my question is what to do with 2.2 pounds of navy blue wool yarn. I’m so overwhelmed! Help!?