Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

So you guys are on Forest Service roads? Any chance there is anything remotely like that on the east coast?

I know in NC there is Uwharrie, and from what I understand Tellico is closed.

There's gotta be, and any good comprehensive state map will have all USFS roads listed. You may have to actually go to your state forestry to get detailed maps of those roads. There's an "Order Forest Maps Online" link for NC here:

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/

quote:

I'd love to find some places to go that isn't slap loving packed like Uwharrie, but also not get shot for trespassing.

Yeah I still carry a gun when I'm out on some of the more remote FS roads. I've had friends followed and harassed by rednecks, stumble upon meth trailers, guarded pot farms, you name it. gently caress there was a while back when my girlfriend and I happened upon to what seemed to be an abandoned bum camp in a clearing, with several old beat up trailers that were connected together with plywood walkways and shanties, and when I opened the door to get out of the truck to investigate, I quickly found that the abandoned place was still being guarded by two huge, very hungry dogs. They came charging straight at the truck out of loving nowhere, and didn't run off until I laid on the horn.

quote:

I drive a 96 Cherokee with cloth seats. If I can easily bolt leather seats from another Jeep into my truck, I'd look into doing so.

Grand Cherokee seats (up to 2004) are supposed to fit 98-2001 XJ just fine, but I can't find any info about the previous models. Might try asking on NAXJA or Jeepforum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.

Braincloud posted:

Couple of pics from this weekend:

Do you have these in a larger size? They would make excellent desktop backgrounds.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Goob posted:

Do you have these in a larger size? They would make excellent desktop backgrounds.

Seconding this.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Goob posted:

Yeah, I can post 'em up when I get home from work.

edit: Oh, here's some info on the trail I was on:

http://www.nwjeepn.com/BakerCreek.htm

Those pics were on the "knowl" [sic] they describe. We came in the short way from the FS road and climbed up the steep part they talk about. Going back down was not nearly as exciting. If you look at the map on that link, it shows the steep part and the camera icon is exactly where I took those pics.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 22, 2009

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

incredibull posted:

Grand Cherokee seats (up to 2004) are supposed to fit 98-2001 XJ just fine, but I can't find any info about the previous models. Might try asking on NAXJA or Jeepforum.

Thanks. I'll do that, and keep an eye on Craigslist locally.

Has anybody rattlecan'd their XJ? Mine is black and the paint's passable, but definitely bears a lot of battle scars. I've only had it for 6000 miles, but before me, I sincerely doubt anyone ever applied a single coat of wax... it's pretty flat.

I'm thinking of spraying it either flat white or flat black. Clean look, easy to touch up as and when needed, low cost. I'm prepared to do the prep work (sanding, masking) and have friends prepared to help me. I just would like to see some examples of it done right.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...
Ugh, the dilemma. I have the opportunity to pick up a used soft top with all the hardware for my JK tonight for $375. I usually just run the "t-tops" of the hard top and my tonneau cover during the summer, but recently (read: in a torrential thunderstorming downpour) found that the JK "t-tops" tend to channel heavy rain onto one's back and head, regardless if you are moving or not.

So, to pickup a bikini top, header channel to attach it, a wrap around cab-curtain, the soundbar cover (to attach the top of the curtain) and the loving door surrounds, it would run me about $400, so really what the hell am I even debating?

I think I just talked myself into a soft-top.

edit:

Here are the larger versions of the pics as requested. Wallpaper ok, posting anywhere or use for anything else is not.

Click here for the full 1900x1425 image.

Braincloud fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 23, 2009

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
Unless something's really screwed up with that soft top, why not buy it? HOWEVER if it doesn't come with all of the hardware bits, it could cost a whole lot more than that. Even though the JK is still in production, buying the little soft top hardware bits separately can often cost a whole lot. Check out jeepsareus.com to get an idea of how much some of it costs.

I guess we both live in WA. Be glad you have the hard top, since the soft top's only good for a couple months out of the year.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I live in WA too, and my YJ's soft top was fine even in the winter months; including trips up the passes. I didn't even own a hard top for it. Before it was stolen, I'd put a brand new sailcloth top on it which was fantastic.

The only real downsides to a soft top are security and durability on trails (watch out for limbs/branches wanting to poke holes in it).

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC
I could just be a huge puss, but after slapping on a hard top I won't go back to soft top in the winter.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

incredibull posted:

95-01 use the same seat bolt pattern. You can use Grand cherokee seats, I believe they require the use of the XJ sliders though. I have a set of Grand cherokee cloth seats in my 95, very comfy but be prepared to loose about an inch of space as the Grand's seats are thicker.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

incredibull posted:

I could just be a huge puss, but after slapping on a hard top I won't go back to soft top in the winter.

Yeah, my ex had a soft-top TJ when I had my hard top TJ. I also wouldn't want a soft-top in Seattle in the winter. Her's was always damp and drafty. Plus, I'm up in the mountains and snow all the time.

Oh,and I got the soft-top for my JK last night. $350, guy gave me a beer and helped me put it on. Had a nice X too.

Just running it up with the windows out until the forecasted rain goes away.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm going to look at an '04 Unlimited here in a few days. Are there any teething issues with the first year Unlimited?

Also, it has a factory towing package, what does this entail besides the hitch and plug? Tranny cooler I hope?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Generally tow packages involve stiffer springs, tow hitch and wiring, and a trans cooler. Possibly a different gear ratio in the axles as well.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

incredibull posted:

I'm the opposite as you: I had a softtop and a hardtop when I owned my YJ, and I just went with a soft this go around. Swapping them out and storing the hardtop was such a pain in the balls, so I'm going soft-only. I guess ask me in six months if I regret it or not. :D

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...

Sasquatch! posted:

I'm the opposite as you: I had a softtop and a hardtop when I owned my YJ, and I just went with a soft this go around. Swapping them out and storing the hardtop was such a pain in the balls, so I'm going soft-only. I guess ask me in six months if I regret it or not. :D
I'm in MN, I don't think I can take a winter up here without the hardtop on my JK. I don't have the OEM softtop though, I've got the Bestop Trektop which I don't think would be good for any winter, much less a MN winter. Still, I know plenty of people with convertibles here and 90% of them regret owning one come winter.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.
What kind of grease do I ask for to use on door hinge pins? I guess I could go and ask for just that at vato zone, but if I knew what it was called I could go find it myself instead of following the counter help around the store.

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

What kind of grease do I ask for to use on door hinge pins? I guess I could go and ask for just that at vato zone, but if I knew what it was called I could go find it myself instead of following the counter help around the store.

Factory service manual specifies either synthetic engine oil or moly grease.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Factory service manual specifies synthetic engine oil

No poo poo?!

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

No poo poo?!

Yep. Some manufacturers of dry poly bushings also recommend synthetic oil for initial installation as an alternative to silicon grease. I prelubed all of the poly suspension bushings in my Explorer with Mobil 1 and never a squeak has been heard from them.

Make sure to lube the top of the body-side hinge. There's supposed to be a small teflon bushing on the top of the door hinge from the factory, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by now.

Tossed_Salad_Man
Feb 19, 2002

You Gon' Get Raped.

incredibull posted:

Yep. Some manufacturers of dry poly bushings also recommend synthetic oil for initial installation as an alternative to silicon grease. I prelubed all of the poly suspension bushings in my Explorer with Mobil 1 and never a squeak has been heard from them.

Make sure to lube the top of the body-side hinge. There's supposed to be a small teflon bushing on the top of the door hinge from the factory, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's gone by now.

These new fangled wranglers is full of surprises.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

incredibull posted:

Factory service manual specifies either synthetic engine oil or moly grease.

Perhaps thats why the service manual also says oil changes at 6000 miles.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

beep beep

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!

Dr. Mulholland posted:

beep beep

Looks pretty clean considering the age... new to you?

On an unrelated note, I am going to start my lift in a bit. First time doing any automotive suspension. The last of the parts arrived last night.

Wish me luck.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
Went out to start the lift and my old jack started pissing hydraulic fluid on the floor. Had to make a run and buy a new one... not an auspicious start.

The lift itself went well, pretty straight forward until I got the trackbar relocation. The bracket I bought was hosed up. I had to take the die grinder to it.

Got half way done and called it quits for the day. It is 98* out and 101* in my garage...

I installed 2.5" spacers, Rubicon Unlimited springs & shocks, ended up with 3.5 inches. Should settle about 1/2 inch when I drive it around a bit.

Tomorrow, the front.

Oh, and I got my new stickers in the mail yesterday... :zombie:

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jun 27, 2009

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?
Without having to start another terrible car recommendation thread, and since I'm going with a Jeep I'll just ask my question here.

I've been shopping around for a mid to late 90s Cherokee for the past couple weeks, since I got a new job. I will of course only settle for the 4.0L six and a manual transmission, being a real man and all. Are there any specific model years or options I should look out for? I remember there being mention of a certain transmission to avoid.

Hopefully I can add a picture here soon!

fordham
Oct 5, 2002

Your argument is invalid.
Exciting Lemon

w1ntermute posted:

Without having to start another terrible car recommendation thread, and since I'm going with a Jeep I'll just ask my question here.

I've been shopping around for a mid to late 90s Cherokee for the past couple weeks, since I got a new job. I will of course only settle for the 4.0L six and a manual transmission, being a real man and all. Are there any specific model years or options I should look out for? I remember there being mention of a certain transmission to avoid.

I've said this before - I love a manual but the automatic on the 4.0 Cherokee is as good a transmission as any out there. It's pretty much bulletproof and should not be discounted.

Also I believe there are more automatic cherokees out there than manuals (there were when I was looking). The newest cherokee you can get is a 2001. Chrysler never should have stopped making them :(

Lean Six Ligma
Nov 26, 2005

Dirty Fuckin' Dangles, Boys

DILLIGAF posted:

awesome sticker

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order that from?

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

fordham posted:

The newest cherokee you can get is a 2001. Chrysler never should have stopped making them

Wolfgang Bobblehead! :argh:

w1ntermute posted:

'89-'99 models have the AX-15 5-spd which is the same that was in the Wranglers at the time; '00-'01 have a 5-spd NV3550 (basically just a newer version of the AX-15). The '87-'89 Peugeot (French!) tranny is the one you want to avoid. I used to be all about the man-tran too, but now I prefer my automatic specifically for the off-road benefits of the torque converter creep, starting from a stop on steep hills and not having to worry about poo poo getting packed between the clutch and flywheel in deep, nasty mud. Also, manuals are just damned hard to find in later Cherokees.

The downsides to the '00-'01 models are that they have a low-pinion front axle with smaller u-joints and that some of the engine block castings (#0331) are prone to cracking.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Pixelated posted:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you order that from?

I went to eDecals.com and used their creator thingie. $8 a piece, but I wanted them so....

Used to be someone in SAMart who made vinyl for decent prices. If I had thought about it, I would have checked there first.

w1ntermute
Jan 6, 2005
A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous, got me?

Philip J Fry posted:

Wolfgang Bobblehead! :argh:

'89-'99 models have the AX-15 5-spd which is the same that was in the Wranglers at the time; '00-'01 have a 5-spd NV3550 (basically just a newer version of the AX-15). The '87-'89 Peugeot (French!) tranny is the one you want to avoid. I used to be all about the man-tran too, but now I prefer my automatic specifically for the off-road benefits of the torque converter creep, starting from a stop on steep hills and not having to worry about poo poo getting packed between the clutch and flywheel in deep, nasty mud. Also, manuals are just damned hard to find in later Cherokees.

The downsides to the '00-'01 models are that they have a low-pinion front axle with smaller u-joints and that some of the engine block castings (#0331) are prone to cracking.

Thanks to you and the above replies for some serious help. While I don't discount the benefits of an automatic, I still have a soft spot for a man trans and I need it for my daily driving enjoyment. Luckily where I live (Reno), Cherokees are popular. I've seen plenty of manuals around here.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

DILLIGAF posted:

I went to eDecals.com and used their creator thingie. $8 a piece, but I wanted them so....

Used to be someone in SAMart who made vinyl for decent prices. If I had thought about it, I would have checked there first.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2856460&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Kitsch is awesome, quick, and does great work. I've ordered a bunch of stickers from her. Plus, she's got great prices.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

Got the lift finished! here are some pics on level ground

RC 2.5" BB
TF Rear Track bar relocation bracket
Rubicon Unlimited Shocks & Springs
Daystar .75" Leveling spacers in front

3.75" in the rear, 4.25" in the front. We'll see how far it settles! (Measured at the rock rail and at the fender)

Never done a lift before and it went surprisingly well. Had an issue with the relo bracket for the rear trackbar, ad with some wrong size bolts in the kit, but the steering wheel didn't need any adjustment at all so that was a plus.

Since I haven't hit 1200 miles yet, I am not going to replace the tires for a while yet... can't justify the expense.

DILLIGAF fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jun 28, 2009

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Finished the lift except for 2 bolts that were in the kit, wrong size. Used the sway bar bolts and am off to the hardware store.

Steep driveway so it doesn't look like it, but I got 4.25" in the front, 3.5" in back.

Not bad for a $200 lift!

Just like my Jeep, you gotta get rid of those awful street tires.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

spiralbrain posted:

Just like my Jeep, you gotta get rid of those awful street tires.

Yes, ditch the tires. Get a nice set of MT/AT's from Goodyear or BF Goodrich, like crawlers/KM or MTR's.

Otherwise putting a lift and trail doors with something with street tires is pretty goofy.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 28, 2009

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

DILLIGAF posted:

Since I haven't hit 1200 miles yet, I am not going to replace the tires for a while yet... can't justify the expense.

You have a long way to go. I have 34,000 miles on my 08 and I still have quite a bit of tread left on mine.

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

BigKOfJustice posted:

Otherwise putting a lift and trail doors with something with street tires is pretty goofy.

Yeah.... it may be a bit silly, but there is a method to my madness.

The doors started out as a way to make the wife feel better about no doors at all, but I went a bit further with 1.75" .120 wall DOM. A LOT cheaper to make your own than to buy some.

The lift was something I have pieced together over the last couple of months, bit by bit, and something I could do myself. Local shops get 5-6 hours labor @ $80-$90 an hour. Now it is one less thing to do later.

Right now I am shopping around for some 4x6 square tube to make my own bumpers.

Sure, off-road tires would be great, but this thing has already done all the intermediate trails out at Uwharrie on these tires. I will get better rubber on it when I can afford it.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

DILLIGAF posted:

Oh, and I got my new stickers in the mail yesterday... :zombie:

Just so you know, I am so ordering this from Kitsch and slapping it on my jeep. :D

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

KickStand posted:

Just so you know, I am so ordering this from Kitsch and slapping it on my jeep. :D

Join the Zombie Outbreak Army!

They laugh, but when the Zombies attack and the streets are blocked by crashed vehicles and rotting bodies, then what? :zombie:

incredibull
Sep 7, 2008

GENERIC

DILLIGAF posted:

I can't believe how wide the JK is. Looks great though. Personally I like the size of tires you have there, but the tread is definitely goofy looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

w1ntermute posted:

Get a 97 - 99 model. They have the strong rear axle, the stronger front axles, high pinion, and have the new style interior. Basically is you want to wheel it hard or put larger tires on etc, these are the best models to buy.