Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Went for a ride with some internet people, didn't get far. :( A guy backed into me at a gas station, bike went over and clutch lever broke. We agreed on a cash deal, he gave me ~$190. Just ordered the clutch lever, it was $10. :D

Some scratches on the stator cover and mirror, but I can live with that.

edit: at least I have the day to finish my ride report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Went up to Mohican State Forest, putted around and looked at the scenery. Got home, shut it off, then decided to park in a different spot.

Starter: *click*

Fuuuuuuuuck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ola posted:

Went for a ride with some internet people, didn't get far. :( A guy backed into me at a gas station, bike went over and clutch lever broke. We agreed on a cash deal, he gave me ~$190. Just ordered the clutch lever, it was $10. :D

Some scratches on the stator cover and mirror, but I can live with that.

edit: at least I have the day to finish my ride report.

poo poo you could get your bike tipped over for a living

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Put coolant in the bike, rode it around, played with the idle

I don't want to jinx it... but... looks like he's all better now

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Took the engine out by myself. Kinda heavy.

It's all sad :(

The offender.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Oh man more pics of internal carnage please!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Did the string thing and it still has a bit of a shimmy at 45mph, guess it's time to tweak the forks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, last night - I need to hunt down a metric bit to install the keysert that will fix the threads I hosed drilling out the broken subframe bolt, so I decided I'd do some other work while the bike has its pants off. Namely, do a valve check. That cover is a bit of a bitch to get out and I hope I can reuse the gasket. I had to stop partway through (again) because while my feeler gauge is suitable for sparkplugs, none of the feelers are thin enough for the valve clearances.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phy posted:

Well, last night - I need to hunt down a metric bit to install the keysert that will fix the threads I hosed drilling out the broken subframe bolt, so I decided I'd do some other work while the bike has its pants off. Namely, do a valve check. That cover is a bit of a bitch to get out and I hope I can reuse the gasket. I had to stop partway through (again) because while my feeler gauge is suitable for sparkplugs, none of the feelers are thin enough for the valve clearances.

Get a set of feeler gauges that you can remove from the "handle". It makes life a lot easier.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
I found out that crankshaft-conrod bearings don't work good when they look like this:

Going to post the rest of the photos in my bike thread.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just finished epoxying the lone right side mount back together on the gauge cluster housing. I think the loving shop I took the bike to last broke it off trying to get the front fairing back on. :argh:

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Worked out my radar detector solution, remote display and a Wolfman bag:

It works better than I thought it would. Seems to be as good as when it is handlebar mounted on my VFR, with the exception of rearward detection. Plus the V1 itself should withstand rough riding, maybe even a minor crash.

The only thing is it's directly hooked to the battery, since wiring it into the ignition had it turning off and on at idle. I guess I'd better learn how to use the kickstarter.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Rode down to see my parents for Father's Day, and we just watched the new Top Gear episode.

Ride down was great, mostly sunny day after nearly 4 straight days of rain, tonnes of bikes out on Highway 7 (my usual route), and lots of classic cars: Model A, E-Type Jaguar convertible, some 40s/50s pickups and sedans, pair of Fiat Spyders; awesome!

And holy hell was I glad I picked up some ear plugs, they're definitely going to be a more regular part of my kit for longer rides.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My KZ650s petcock starting pissing gas onto my leg (and the engine block! :supaburn:) while the bike was running so I decided to replace it. Turns out that the KZ vacuum petcock is a big piece of poo poo, none of the rebuild kits work, and once it starts acting up its better to just replace it.

Oddly enough the recommended replacement is a Suzuki petcock used on the GS bikes of the same era. You can get them new for around $50 and the one I bought bolted right up. Hooray for the miracle of UJM part sharing!

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I took the valve cover off to fix what I thought was boogered up cam timing from adjusting the valves, ande found it to be correct. So I rechecked the valves and discovered that I had been a moron and used the next size bigger shim on the exhaust instead of the next size smaller. :doh:

So now I get to order more shims instead of ride, since the dealer is closed Mondays.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Moved it into a new storage unit:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Actually have enough space to work on the bike now. And now it's time to acquire a project of some sort...

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
Installed new timing belts in the Goldwing, then started the bike without replacing the timing mark inspection port. Now the crankcase is covered with fresh oil. Also flushed the radiator.

I would have test ridden it, but the timing cover gaskets are so gummed up with old silicone and Permatex that I spent the rest of the afternoon picking the poo poo out with a screwdriver. The gaskets are undamaged, and only act as weather seals, so I don't know what the idiot PO was trying to achieve.

Friday night I ordered some OEM VTX1800 rear shocks (take offs) from ebay. Other people on the old Goldwing forum say they are a drop in fit and for $50, how can I lose? Anything to get rid of the air suspension as soon as possible...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Z3n posted:

Moved it into a new storage unit:

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Actually have enough space to work on the bike now. And now it's time to acquire a project of some sort...

It is my dream to work on a bike while sitting on a couch :allears:

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Crashed the gently caress out of it :hellyeah:.
So while my leg is all swollen, I'm sending my WR radiators (as well as my girlfriends KDX radiators) out to be straightened and repaired. Radiator guards are in the mail.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

AnnoyBot posted:

Installed new timing belts in the Goldwing, then started the bike without replacing the timing mark inspection port. Now the crankcase is covered with fresh oil. Also flushed the radiator.

I would have test ridden it, but the timing cover gaskets are so gummed up with old silicone and Permatex that I spent the rest of the afternoon picking the poo poo out with a screwdriver. The gaskets are undamaged, and only act as weather seals, so I don't know what the idiot PO was trying to achieve.

Friday night I ordered some OEM VTX1800 rear shocks (take offs) from ebay. Other people on the old Goldwing forum say they are a drop in fit and for $50, how can I lose? Anything to get rid of the air suspension as soon as possible...

I did that when I swapped the cams on the SV...refilled the bike with oil, forgot about the open oil fill and the funnel in the open hole. Thumb the starter, the funnel goes flying and I spray myself with a nice mix of atomized oil. :xd:

Phat_Albert posted:

It's the couch of the renter before me. He's gonna come get it at some point. I do have 2 chairs though. :haw:

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I ordered a set of valve shims today, should be here Thursday. For the record, the Dual Star set for the KLR isn't that great, most of the included shims are the huge ones you'll never use. The biggest shim I have in the engine is a 2.65, and more than half of theirs are bigger even than that. I found that weird, I always thought of Dual Star as having good stuff.

I ended up getting the set from Arrowhead, it has a better usable range of them. And it was cheaper, too.

Problem is, I'll be out of town when they get here, so the poor bike will have to sit half disassembled under its cover until I get back. I did put the valve cover back on though.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phat_Albert posted:

Gold brocade chaise lounge, some potted palms, and a naked slave girl feeding you grapes. :hist101:

Or a couple chairs.

Off-topic, e/n content: Not doing anything to my ride today; I'm watching the kids while my wife attends her cousin's funeral. :cry:

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 22, 2009

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bucephalus posted:

Off-topic, e/n content: Not doing anything to my ride today; I'm watching the kids while my wife attends her cousin's funeral. :cry:

Oy, I hope it was a quick death because it doesnt sound like a painless one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

1. Put my new clutch lever on. Nice.

2. Cleaned and lightly oiled my air filter, less bogging but still there. Gonna spring for the K&N drop-in replacement as it's worn.

3. Parked on shards of glass. :( Didn't notice when I pulled up. Thankfully it was just a wine glass or something, to thin and brittle to cut into rubber. Still sucks.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Phat_Albert posted:

Oy, I hope it was a quick death because it doesnt sound like a painless one.

They pried him out, he said "Where's my wife", and dropped dead. He also had a broken neck. RIP, Little Kenny.

Ola posted:

Parked on shards of glass.

Were you in Hollister? (Please tell me someone gets this.)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bucephalus posted:

They pried him out, he said "Where's my wife", and dropped dead. He also had a broken neck. RIP, Little Kenny.

Reminds me of a friend of a friend who crashed while vintage racing...his last words were "get this loving bike off me", and then he died :(

RIP to your friend.

quote:

Were you in Hollister? (Please tell me someone gets this.)

Reference to the Hollister bike rallys?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^^^ 1947, specifically.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
What did I do to my ride today? I rode it. For the first time :D

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Cleaned and lubed my chain. Goddamn rain. Rode back from Laconia last Thursday in the rain so it really needed it.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Commuted on it. 30 minutes or so each direction.

Been doing that for about a week now, as my car's in the shop getting some raccoon damage fixed.

I've enjoyed it, even with the extra hassle of having to carry a backpack (for my work laptop and clothes) in summertime in Texas. Its not bad going to work, but I'm a little sweaty when I get home.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Checked the valve clearances and shim sizes. At the tight end of the range on all four. Might as well bump them all up tomorrow.

e: Valves done. back to drilling.

Phy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 24, 2009

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I bought it a ton of stuff!

Flatland racing radiator guards/braces
Cycra probend handguards with triple tree mounts instead of bar mounts (!!!)
Complete new set of body plastic

My old handguard got slightly ruined due to our good buddy Hnasty tying my bike down with it at goonbrap, and it finally broke and in the process got some air in my brake line.

It'll be a whole new bike soon!

sectoidman
Aug 21, 2006
Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
Washed and turtle-waxed the bike, so now it is clean and shiny.

Bought a new bulb for the license plate lighting assembly to replace the old, burned-out one. I think I have an intermittent short somewhere in the line from the turn signal/hi-beam controls to the rest of the electrical system, so I'll probably track that down today or tomorrow. I also need to clean and lube the chain.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Changed some oil.

Filter for the VFR on the left, filter for the Husky on the right. Both were the same price!

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Uhhh....

OH NO!!!

Ahhhhh :D

Special thanks to Nerobro for the wonderful guide.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Good job!

I went for a nice ride in the HOT weather. Bought a tank bag and summer gloves. Took some pictures but my camera decided not to store the files. :confused:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Saved about $800 vs. OEM on 08 KLR parts so far by ebaying and the KLR boards, put the new radiator, fan/bracket and front turn signals on today then got insurance.
It's ready to ride.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Ola posted:

I went for a nice ride in the HOT weather.

Scandinavian talking about hot weather :rolleyes: It hit 105.1F , or 40.6C for you Europeans, here in dallas and we we goddamnwell liked it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the tension on the chain on the XL250R. Stared at the Lightning for a bit before spraying some WD-40 on the exhaust clamps of my truck. They're not clamping anything right now other than rust and I'm putting a new exhaust on because the old one fell off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

blugu64 posted:

Scandinavian talking about hot weather :rolleyes: It hit 105.1F , or 40.6C for you Europeans, here in dallas and we we goddamnwell liked it.

Haha!

When it hits 85 F here we pretty much stop functioning. My black leathers are surprisingly comfortable in hot weather, the surprise being "I don't die right away". Got some mesh gear on order from bikebandit, but they haven't shipped yet. Hope it gets here before July 20th and my eurotrip!