Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Fetko posted:

I'm currently on the Sprint SERO $30/mo plan with a slowly dying mogul. I'm out of my contract and trying to decide what to do next. My two choices right now are switch to ATT and go iphone 3g s or hold out with my SERO plan and hope the htc touch pro 2 comes out soon AND can be used on SERO (not holding my breath on that.)

So, I guess I have a couple questions. Is there a way to bring down the $90/mo iphone plan with 450 minutes and unlimited text/data? I can live with it, but it seems like a big jump each month over SERO. Is there any information about the touch pro 2 for sprint yet? I'd rather not wait 3 months to just find out that I can't use it on SERO anyway...

Employer discounts, AT&T can give out good discounts but not the hefty ones that I've seen Verizon give. I don't recommend using the iPhone on anything but the $30 iPhone data plan because AT&T works in mysterious ways and shuts off your data if you're caught using the $10/$15 MediaNET plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
  • Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T right now, wouldn't mind moving to someone else besides T-Mobile (they have very few towers here)

• Current contract status: Up in October, currently on an unlocked Nokia 6300

• Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone (a little more if unlocked or really snazzy), hoping to stay under/around the $74 I'm paying all-in at ATT

• Features I know I want: Responsive/attractive UI; solid, well designed hardware; good web browsing; Qwerty keyboard or excellent on-screen version thereof; a good number of applications

First, a bit of my phone history: Sony Ericsson T610, K750i, w580i, and now a Nokia 6300. I absolutely adored both Sony cadybars and wish I still had the K750i. The w580i's hardware wasn't so hot: the slider got loose pretty quick and some keys stopped working properly after less than 6 months. The Nokia's hardware has been great, but the interface is slow and ugly compared that of the Sonys.

I'd probably be really happy with another Sony candybar phone, but I feel a bit silly spending ~$250 on a regular old phone just because I like the design and interface so much. So I've decided to make the jump to a smartphone of some kind or another. My main reasons for moving to a smartphone: better web experience, more applications to tinker with, easier text input than traditional T9, and a prettier/faster interface.

I'm looking at:

• Palm Pre on contract- I've been following it since the announcement and love WebOS, but I'm concerned that the hardware won't last (I'm especially worried about the slider mechanism). I'd also have to make the jump over to Sprint, which wouldn't be too bad if the Pre lasts through my contract, except I might need to bump up to a more expensive plan than I'm on now since they don't have rollover minutes and 450 on the lowest everything plan isn't quite enough.
  • Unlocked Nokia E71 - Nice looking, solid phone. My main concern is that I'll again be stuck with an ugly Nokia interface. I don't really understand how the various flavors of S60 work and whether the available applications are any good.
  • ???

I'd like to hear any recommendations, particularly on the S60 devices side as I'm not very familiar with those.

randomdumbnick
Mar 1, 2005
i registered to lurk. you shouldn't be seeing this.

powderific posted:

• Unlocked Nokia E71 - Nice looking, solid phone. My main concern is that I'll again be stuck with an ugly Nokia interface. I don't really understand how the various flavors of S60 work and whether the available applications are any good.

I'd like to hear any recommendations, particularly on the S60 devices side as I'm not very familiar with those.

Have you had a look at some video reviews? If not, I like Mobileburn for their video reviews. And Phonedog sometimes has decent videos. They typically include a video demonstration of the interface.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQofkmQZ5qQ - Mobileburn (if you want to skip to interface, that starts at about 2:37 in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYL28Oriv2o - Phonedog (about 4:40 for interface)

randomdumbnick fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jun 22, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

powderific posted:

• Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T right now, wouldn't mind moving to someone else besides T-Mobile (they have very few towers here)

• Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone (a little more if unlocked or really snazzy), hoping to stay under/around the $74 I'm paying all-in at ATT

• Features I know I want: Responsive/attractive UI; solid, well designed hardware; good web browsing; Qwerty keyboard or excellent on-screen version thereof; a good number of applications

First, a bit of my phone history: Sony Ericsson T610, K750i, w580i, and now a Nokia 6300. I absolutely adored both Sony cadybars and wish I still had the K750i. The w580i's hardware wasn't so hot: the slider got loose pretty quick and some keys stopped working properly after less than 6 months. The Nokia's hardware has been great, but the interface is slow and ugly compared that of the Sonys.

I'd probably be really happy with another Sony candybar phone, but I feel a bit silly spending ~$250 on a regular old phone just because I like the design and interface so much. So I've decided to make the jump to a smartphone of some kind or another. My main reasons for moving to a smartphone: better web experience, more applications to tinker with, easier text input than traditional T9, and a prettier/faster interface.

I'm looking at:

• Palm Pre on contract- I've been following it since the announcement and love WebOS, but I'm concerned that the hardware won't last (I'm especially worried about the slider mechanism). I'd also have to make the jump over to Sprint, which wouldn't be too bad if the Pre lasts through my contract, except I might need to bump up to a more expensive plan than I'm on now since they don't have rollover minutes and 450 on the lowest everything plan isn't quite enough.
  • ???

The E71 is your best bet here. It's got a nice QWERTY. It also has a quite different interface than S40 on your 6300. The E71 also has a ton of apps being that it's an S60 device. If you want some app recommendations, then go to the S60 thread. The build quality on the E71 is excellent. I would choose the E71 because it's a great device on a mature platform. Unfortunately you really can't upgrade your device's software OS with big features because at Nokia, if you want the newest upgrade, it's time to buy a new Nokia.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The whole no os upgrades thing seems kindof annoying, do apps generally work across versions of S60? I do like that it's on a mature platform and I'm betting that the phone's hardware (as in physical constructions) will be way more solid than the Pre. If WebOS didn't look so snazzy I'd probably be on track to buy the E71 without hesitation.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

moloo posted:

Iphone 3G or Iphone 3G S... My 72 year old Grandfather needs to know...

My grandfather decided he needs a new phone. He wants navigation and the ability to tether to a laptop (which he doesn't yet have) for internet access on the road.

I know the Iphone 3G can be tethered to a laptop if jailbroken, but it doesn't have the new compass feature. I originally thought the 3G S would have native tethering ability but that seems not to be the case. Money isn't really an issue here, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to have him buy an Iphone 3G S and wait for it to be jailbroken (which would probably be the same time that he buys a laptop). Or is the compass feature of the 3G S somewhat stupid and he should just get a iphone 3G?

I've been tethering the poo poo out of iphone 3.0 non-jailbroken.

As long as he's not torrenting or some poo poo, he's probably gonna be fine using this feature for free.

Activating tethering takes about 30 seconds by just clicking a link and installing a carrier package from the iphone's web browser. Head over to the iphone megathread should you need any other questions answered.

Steinbeck fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 23, 2009

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008
Aside from pure utter cheapness, the E71 is a really boring and lovely dated phone.

Nokia is dead, long live Nokia. I really wish they were the same as the company that launched the N95 and the smartphones before that, but they're just pure poo poo in their modern lineup. Expressmusic is stupid. The N97 is a loving joke. Compare to the G1, Pre, iPhone, and dare I say even SOME custom builds of WinMo, and I just can't believe smartphone buyers go for these anymore. Sentimental much?

I really wish all these Nokia recommendations would come with the disclaimer that "You're gonna be using dated UI on dated hardware, but hey, youre saving money right? And this company used to be good at phones, yknow?"
I guess I just don't understand being *this* into tech and being *this* unbelievably cheap when it comes to buying a smartphone.

But I do agree with the Upgrade / unlock / sell strategy. That poo poo works great. I scored a $50 profit on my latest iphone upgrade using this strategy.

e: Didn't even mention the Bold, but that's only cause I haven't had a helluva lot of hands on with it. Heard it's very nice though.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

powderific posted:

I'm looking at:

• ???

I played with a Pre a lot the past few days--it's a great device. As long as you trust you can be patient enough to get quick on the smallish keyboard, go with that. The UI is very snappy and the HW itself is some of the speediest available today. In short: I think it's a great phone with a lot of excellent future promise.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
I'm an existing Fido customer with the City Fido plan that I'm not really interested in getting away from as Fido keeps letting me renew it, and I like having unlimited anytime minutes as I can been on the phone for an amazing amount of time for work. Sick and tired of my RAZR V3 I'm looking at a smartphone, as my business really needs me to have access to email GPS etc and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices.

I'm torn between a Blackberry Curve 8900 and a HTC G1 as both seem to be very similar in a lot of places. Aside from email and that I want a phone that will work as a MP3 player at the gym, and one that has a Golf Range GPS, which I've been unable to find for the G1 so far. I don't plan on doing very much streaming video, but streaming radio seems like it could be a great feature in the truck. I've had a Blackberry in the past and I know how wonderful they are, at this point I'm just trying to find an excuse to not go in that direction, to either the G1 or something else that I've overlooked.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

nature6pk posted:

I'm an existing Fido customer with the City Fido plan that I'm not really interested in getting away from as Fido keeps letting me renew it, and I like having unlimited anytime minutes as I can been on the phone for an amazing amount of time for work. Sick and tired of my RAZR V3 I'm looking at a smartphone, as my business really needs me to have access to email GPS etc and have narrowed it down to a couple of choices.

I'm torn between a Blackberry Curve 8900 and a HTC G1 as both seem to be very similar in a lot of places. Aside from email and that I want a phone that will work as a MP3 player at the gym, and one that has a Golf Range GPS, which I've been unable to find for the G1 so far. I don't plan on doing very much streaming video, but streaming radio seems like it could be a great feature in the truck. I've had a Blackberry in the past and I know how wonderful they are, at this point I'm just trying to find an excuse to not go in that direction, to either the G1 or something else that I've overlooked.

I think you may tend to lean toward the G1. Android is in its ramp-up period as a contender, and there's a lot of location-based apps (some with Augmented reality worked in via the gps + compass + camera) that are looking really interesting.

It's a well reviewed phone with great promise. One caveat: If you're a power user, plan to buy an upgraded and/or spare battery.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
* Country/Provider: T-Mobile Los Angeles/Orange County CA, USA.

* Current contract status: Contract just came up, I have an older Sidekick LX, 1000 anytime minutes free N&W and unlimited data/text for $60/m(had this plan since 2005)

* Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone, I'm flexible on monthly, I know if I go to an Android Handset (mytouch3g) I'll be looking at $40/mo to keep my minutes, and a bump from $20/mo to $35/mo for data/text, so $75/mo total. With ATT I'd have to spend $110/mo for 100 less minutes.

* Features I know I want: 3G, Twitter/facebook/IM apps, I use the crap out of my sidekick. I'm an avid Macfag and listen to a ton of podcasts.

My dilemma is. do I spend $35 more a month to get the Iphone 3GS which is an awesome phone, but then suffer with AT&T's poo poo service? My coworkers with iphones have spotty reception while my shitbox sidekicks have been getting full bars and push IM's since 2005 :D . The Iphone is pretty much worthless when not on ATT correct? It wont work on TMO's 3G right?

The TMO Mytouch 3g also appeals to me, but i'd really like itunes synching and a goddamned 3.5mm audio jack. Also, how is T mobiles 3g network coming along? are they actively working on making it better?

Bonus round! : How is palm service, its a little cheaper than ATT, but I have a hard time typing on the Pre's keyboard.

Double Bonus Round! : Should I even bother checking out the new sidekick LX 2009? or do the other phones I am considering blow it out of the water.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Steinbeck posted:

I really wish all these Nokia recommendations would come with the disclaimer that "You're gonna be using dated UI on dated hardware, but hey, youre saving money right? And this company used to be good at phones, yknow?"
I guess I just don't understand being *this* into tech and being *this* unbelievably cheap when it comes to buying a smartphone.
You're short-selling Nokia pretty severely. The Nokia experience lends itself very well to "Baby's First Smartphone" shoppers and/or folks on a limited budget. S60's certainly not as whizbang as iPhone OS or Android, but it has a serviceable WebKit-based web browser, it's more stable than Windows Mobile (though infinitely less flexible), more robust than BlackBerry OS, and more multi-taskable than iPhone OS.

Look a little closer at the folks I'm recommending Nokia smartphones to: people who want no-fuss tethering, people who are considering poo poo-trash dumbphones sold by carriers, people who want affordable but excellent cameraphones, people who "just want it to get good service argh!", people who want battery life and decent build quality, and people with no interest in data plans or the App Store but still wanting a good music experience (GSMarena claims the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic offers the best sound quality they've ever heard from a phone).

The E71 is a great alternative to the BlackBerry Curve and Bold, even if E72 is what the E71 should have been (nokia, $loving$ again, etc.). My friend insists on qwertybar smartphones but was literally losing chunks of his life to his WinMo-powered Treo 800w's mindblowing failures "as a phone." He just switched to an E71 and could not be happier with the change. It's stable, it's tiny, it's built out of fuckin' metal, it tethers, it was cheap, it has a huge battery, and it multitasks effortlessly (he uses the last.fm player). It's my personal perogative to never buy another QVGA phone again, but there are definitely people without such restrictions.

Android and iPhone OS are the coolest things going in cellphones right now, no doubt about that, but the hangups are many. There are still no Android phones with a headphone jack and AT&T 3G compatibility -- the Samsung i7500 (my dreamphone) is headed to the bottom-feeders over at T-Mobile. The iPhone forces you to put up with a crippling $90/month bill if you want unlimited text and data, and still forces you to deal with iTunes, for better or worse.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Steinbeck hit on pretty much everything that concerns me about the E71. After watching the videos I can't believe that the interface is still so much uglier than my 4 year old, Sony Ericsson dumbphone. I know it's just a surface level thing and it's still a contender for me since I like being able to just switch the SIM card to another device if I like, but I wish they'd try a little harder.

I'm going to see if I can get my hands on both to try them out. I don't necessarily mind using a dated UI if the functionality is good enough.

Edit: I just looked at the E72 and that seems like a much stronger competitor, but I'm guessing it'll be wildly expensive when it comes out. It does look like it's the phone that the E71 should have been.

powderific fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 23, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

nature6pk, the 8900 would be best for you. Rogers/Fido has crippled the G1 compared to the T-Mobile USA version of it. The 8900 has a 3.5mm jack, meaning that you don't have to screw around with some silly adapter to use headphones. There's no A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) in the G1 so the only way to use headphones is use the terrible ones in-box or get an adapter. Also, if you use a non-Gmail account the G1 is poo poo for that. The 8900 will also last you through a day on the battery even with streaming radio playing for 2-3 hours. The BlackBerry platform is mature and there's a good number of apps for it. Look in the new BlackBerry thread for app suggestions.

Dicker, don't get another Sidekick. They're phones stuck back in 2006/2007. The iPhone 3G and 3GS will work on T-Mobile's network but you'll be stuck on EDGE because they don't support T-Mobile's 3G bands. The phones that would be best foryou are the BlackBerry Bold and the 3G S. It all boils down to whether you need the phsyical keyboard. The Bold's keyboard is the best on the market or at least one of the top 5 keyboards. It'll meet all your requirements and it'll sync with Macs. You'll have to find a friend's PC though to do OS upgrades which is highly recommended because the OS that ships on the Bold with AT&T is very outdated now. But just upgrade to 4.6.0.282 and you'll be fine for quite a while until OS 5.0 comes out. If you don't need a physical keyboard, get the 3G S.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Dicker posted:

* Country/Provider: T-Mobile Los Angeles/Orange County CA, USA.

* Current contract status: Contract just came up, I have an older Sidekick LX, 1000 anytime minutes free N&W and unlimited data/text for $60/m(had this plan since 2005)

* Budget (phone/plan): $200 for the phone, I'm flexible on monthly, I know if I go to an Android Handset (mytouch3g) I'll be looking at $40/mo to keep my minutes, and a bump from $20/mo to $35/mo for data/text, so $75/mo total. With ATT I'd have to spend $110/mo for 100 less minutes.

* Features I know I want: 3G, Twitter/facebook/IM apps, I use the crap out of my sidekick. I'm an avid Macfag and listen to a ton of podcasts.

My dilemma is. do I spend $35 more a month to get the Iphone 3GS which is an awesome phone, but then suffer with AT&T's poo poo service? My coworkers with iphones have spotty reception while my shitbox sidekicks have been getting full bars and push IM's since 2005 :D . The Iphone is pretty much worthless when not on ATT correct? It wont work on TMO's 3G right?

The TMO Mytouch 3g also appeals to me, but i'd really like itunes synching and a goddamned 3.5mm audio jack. Also, how is T mobiles 3g network coming along? are they actively working on making it better?

Bonus round! : How is palm service, its a little cheaper than ATT, but I have a hard time typing on the Pre's keyboard.

Double Bonus Round! : Should I even bother checking out the new sidekick LX 2009? or do the other phones I am considering blow it out of the water.

Questions to answer to get your perfect phone:

- Have you tried the G1 yet? My Sidekick entrenched buddy upgraded to this and has never been happier. The app selection and dev support has been paltry, however.

- Can you endure network issues for more apps and a better UI / hardware? iPhone 3G S then. On AT&T. You can't get 3G on the iphone unlocking it and taking it to US T-Mobile.

- Visit a Sprint store and do some test typing on the Pre keyboard for as long as you care to. Some people can adapt to the teeny keyboard... I found it really clumsy. I hope they put a kickass soft keyboard on this as soon as possible. The Sprint network is also top tier, second to only Verizon in the US.

- Are you a 14 year old girl? Do not buy another Sidekick--nothing progressive or interesting in the pipeline. Was a solid casual smartphone for its day: crap now when sized up to the rest.

This should lead you to your new (hopefully perfect for you) phone! Let us know what you end up with.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Godzilla07 posted:

There's no A2DP (stereo Bluetooth) in the G1 so the only way to use headphones is use the terrible ones in-box or get an adapter.

I haven't tried it out, but as of 1.5 it does have A2DP.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

powderific posted:

Steinbeck hit on pretty much everything that concerns me about the E71. After watching the videos I can't believe that the interface is still so much uglier than my 4 year old, Sony Ericsson dumbphone. I know it's just a surface level thing and it's still a contender for me since I like being able to just switch the SIM card to another device if I like, but I wish they'd try a little harder.

It doesn't have to be ugly, you can throw on some good themes to make it better.
http://www.e71fanatics.com/search/label/E71%20Themes

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, some of those are definitely nicer. Thanks for the link.

Litch991
Sep 14, 2005
Dunno if this would be better suited for a thread but I need some goon help.

I've been trying to look at cell phones or even plans that consist purely of texting. For example, what kind of phones do deaf people use? Does anyone have any suggestions? No current contracts or subscribers, would just like a texting phone with a low monthly rate. Thanks goons!

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T

Current contract status: Ended today :woop:

Budget (phone/plan): I have no financial restrictions on plans or phones, however I would prefer to not waste money on features I will never/rarely use, both in price of phone and monthly plan. I have never had a smart phone or used my phone for anything other than texts or calling. However if there is not a huge difference in price (mainly concerned with monthly rate) I would not be opposed to a smart phone. For reference my current plan is like $43 a month or so, I am not sure how many minutes I have but I was never close to using them all, and 200 texts.

Features I know I want: Stylish phone, does not randomly disconnect every 5 minutes like my current phone has for the last 1.5 years. I don't really know what else is out there.

I am thinking it will either be ATT or Verizon, however I know nothing about phones or data plans or anything like that.

Seeing as how I will probably need to get a new phone/plan tonight, any advice would be useful. Sorry for being so vague.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Litch991 posted:

Dunno if this would be better suited for a thread but I need some goon help.

I've been trying to look at cell phones or even plans that consist purely of texting. For example, what kind of phones do deaf people use? Does anyone have any suggestions? No current contracts or subscribers, would just like a texting phone with a low monthly rate. Thanks goons!

Verizon's got a text only plan for $35 that apparently you can use on any dumbphone or feature phone. It also comes with unlimited Mobile Web and data. No voice allowance on the plan.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Steinbeck posted:

Questions to answer to get your perfect phone:

- Have you tried the G1 yet? My Sidekick entrenched buddy upgraded to this and has never been happier. The app selection and dev support has been paltry, however.

- Can you endure network issues for more apps and a better UI / hardware? iPhone 3G S then. On AT&T. You can't get 3G on the iphone unlocking it and taking it to US T-Mobile.

- Visit a Sprint store and do some test typing on the Pre keyboard for as long as you care to. Some people can adapt to the teeny keyboard... I found it really clumsy. I hope they put a kickass soft keyboard on this as soon as possible. The Sprint network is also top tier, second to only Verizon in the US.

- Are you a 14 year old girl? Do not buy another Sidekick--nothing progressive or interesting in the pipeline. Was a solid casual smartphone for its day: crap now when sized up to the rest.

This should lead you to your new (hopefully perfect for you) phone! Let us know what you end up with.

The MyTouch 3G is the HTC Magic, which is better than the G1 if he could live without the keyboard and he's pretty much saying that he could live without the keyboard because he's considering an iPhone.

Pain of Mind, look into the Nokia E63. It's a reliable phone that also has a QWERTY to make texting easier and you'll have Wi-Fi to use with applications and to web browsing. If you choose to add the data plan, it's only an extra $15 a month. It's a solid phone.

Dicker
Sep 1, 2006
The G1 was not really on my list seeing as the mytouch 3g is a better phone, however I looked at the prices of lightly used G1's and am swaying towards getting one and not extending my contract, until something really lights my fire.

Terminus
May 6, 2008
Country/Provider: USA -- AT&T

Current contract status: None current. I've been using some piece of crap Pantech and it made it's last mistake when it decided to not recieve my friends calls and messages today when they wanted to hang out, even though I had fine reception. I didn't even get the voice mail they sent until I turned the phone off then on a couple hours later. But hey, this isn't a thread about fixing lovely phones so I'll stop complaining about it.

Budget: Free/Cheap is good, very good. (blarg, car repairs)

Features wanted: Honestly, not much, I'm at a computer nearly all day, every day so there's no need to check e-mails or visit web sites. I also own a camera and an MP3 player so basically this is gonne be pretty bare bones, although I'm not against nifty little bells and whistles.

I've been looking at some of the phones AT&T is offering with contracts and the Nokia 6650 looks decent, any thoughts on it?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

If you're concerned about money, AT&T is not a good place to be.

How's Sprint coverage in your area? There are a bunch of folks selling their $30/month Sprint SERO contracts right now, and that poo poo is (was) the best deal ever offered. You'd get 500 minutes, 7PM nights, unlimited text and 3G data (even if you never use them), and would only have to pay 30 bucks a month after buying off the contract.

Look into it, seriously.

Terminus
May 6, 2008

kalibar posted:

If you're concerned about money, AT&T is not a good place to be.

How's Sprint coverage in your area? There are a bunch of folks selling their $30/month Sprint SERO contracts right now, and that poo poo is (was) the best deal ever offered. You'd get 500 minutes, 7PM nights, unlimited text and 3G data (even if you never use them), and would only have to pay 30 bucks a month after buying off the contract.

Look into it, seriously.

Sprint is notoriously bad in this area, anyone I know whose had them has since moved to other providers. It's more of the one time phone cost I'm concerned about right now, not so much the plan cost.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
Can I buy an AT&T PAYG phone, take out its SIM card, and use it with a T-mobile contract? My girlfriend broke her phone (still has the SIM) and still has a year left on her contract and I don't have any GSM phones to give her.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

evensevenone posted:

Can I buy an AT&T PAYG phone, take out its SIM card, and use it with a T-mobile contract? My girlfriend broke her phone (still has the SIM) and still has a year left on her contract and I don't have any GSM phones to give her.

No, because it would be locked to AT&T. You can do the same with a T-Mobile prepaid phone and it will actually work.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Country/Provider: UK/o2

Current contract status: I'm on a rolling contract called simplicty, it's pretty much a standard contract (excluding phone) which I can opt out of at any time. I want to keep this.

Budget (phone/plan): Budget for the phone (want to buy phone outright) is about £150/£200

Features I know I want: A fairly decent camera, internet browsing/Wifi

I thought about the iPhone but it's far too expensive :(

Exuus
Feb 21, 2006
Possibly a false penguin messiah
- Country/Provider: UK on O2

- Current contract status: 18 month contract that expires next month.

- Budget (phone/plan): Currently on the £45 a month plan but only paying £30 a month (I managed to talk them down since I've been a customer for 10+ years). I'd like to keep it at around £30 a month still. I also get unlimited land line calls and 1400 mins a month instead of 1200.

- Features I know I want: It must have wireless internet access, GPS and preferably some sort of keyboard.

Odelle
Sep 11, 2005

She's a maniac
Country/Provider: US/ whatever

Current contract status: I have ten months left on my Verizon contract, but I can get out of it for only $50! I want to switch to a cheaper plan on a GSM network.

Budget (phone/plan): I just bought an unlocked Sony-Ericsson S500i. I need a plan with unlimited texting. I don't need that many minutes, I barely talk on the phone.

Odelle fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 28, 2009

K
Jun 2, 2005

Meet me at midnight
Hi Shack.

# Country/Provider: USA/Not AT&T

# Current contract status: AT&T contract ending this week

# Budget (phone/plan): No more smartphones. Or really, anything super fancy. Something simple. I use more texting than I'd like to admit, and I don't really engage in long phone calls during the week. Nights/weekends or even just weekends is ok.

# Features I know I want: A QWERTY keyboard would be nice, but not totally necessary.

Honestly, I'm sick of my iPhone and AT&T's terribly spotty coverage in Chicago. The apps, internet access, email, etc. are nice and all, but not completely necessary. Neither is paying almost $80/month for everything total (I use the 250 messages/month plan and 1500 nights/weekends minutes; so the cheapest plan).

I should probably plan for a moderate amount of texting (300-400 month), but I can go with a cheap minutes plan that has at least unlimited (or very generous) weekends.

Is there a good combo of good Chicago service, reasonably priced texting (hah), and possible ease of typing? Zip code is 60616 if this helps (Chinatown, baby).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Cellphone Shack, I need help.

I'm in Canada with Rogers (my last device upgrade was about two years ago, but my account with them was originally a gift from my stepdad and in his name, I changed that recently, requiring a new account and number, etc, and so I'm not clear on my contract status) and I'm looking to upgrade to a smartphone.

I've narrowed things down (based mainly on the availability of Rogers' 6GB/$30 promotional data plan, because gently caress their normal data rates) to the iPhone and the HTC Magic (potentially the Dream as well, but I'm not a huge fan of hardware keyboards on mobiles based on my limited experience with my sister's Blackberry Curve - though she assures me I'd get used to it.

The available plans for the two are pretty much the same, and I'm not really worried about the initial outlay aside from a general "try not to waste money on poo poo I won't use" philosophy.

Further personal idiosyncrasies:

My cell is my primary phone, so I'd appreciate something with good call quality. I also do a lot of web browsing/typing/texting with my current dumbphone, and would probably do more (and IM as well) if it wasn't such a pain to do - this is my primary reason to upgrade. Apps are of mild interest to me, but nothing dealbreaking in either direction (probably because I don't know what I've been missing yet, heh).

I already have a portable MP3/video player and a digital camera, so I'm not expecting to get much use out of the media features of either device.

Actual questions:

Is the iPhone's soft keyboard a huge improvement over the HTC Magic's (or vice versa?) How about the web browser experience? In general, based on my preferences, which of the two would you guys suggest?

Is it worth holding out for the presumably upcoming release of the HTC Hero to Rogers and hoping they'll bring back the $30 data plan for it? I've read that HTC are hoping to be able to port the Hero's software/UI upgrades to the Rogers Magic, since it's not Google-branded - assuming that's possible, are the hardware upgrades worth the wait?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 29, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Exuus, the Nokia E71 or E75 are the best for you. They both have full QWERTY keyboards, GPS and Wi-Fi for web browsing. The E75 has a better camera, a 3.5mm jack and it's newer than the E71 but it'll probably be more expensive.

Thirteenth Step, I can't really help you because I don't know what the UK prices are for most phones but the Nokia N85 sounds like a good phone for you. It has GPS, Wi-Fi for Internet browsing and a great camera. If the N85 isn't in your price range, get the N82 which has a better camera with a Xenon flash instead of dual-LEDs and it has Wi-Fi and GPS too.

Odelle, get AT&T. Then follow these instructions.
  • Sign up for AT&T service and get an iPhone 3G S or an iPhone 3G if you can't get the 3G S because of price, but keep in mind that the 3G S will net you more money. Get the Nation 450 plan ($39.99).
  • Open the box and jailbreak it the iPhone 3G/3G S.
  • If you got the 3G, unlock it with ultrasn0w.
  • Put the iPhone back in the box and put it up for sale.
  • Call AT&T to get the iPhone data plan removed from your account, tell them that you sold your iPhone.
  • Use the funds from your iPhone sale to get a nice S60 phone.

Now you should have approximately $400-$500 for an iPhone 3G unlocked, $550-$600+ for an iPhone 3G S 16 GB and a 32 GB 3G S will get you around $750. I recommend getting a 3G S 16 GB. With the money from your iPhone sale, get the Nokia E71. Do not buy the E71x from AT&T as it won't work with what you're going to do. The E71 has a QWERTY for texting, GPS, and Wi-Fi for improved web browsing speeds. Add the Messaging and Data Unlimited to your Nation 450 plan. If AT&T asks for an IMEI, use the one from your SE phone. Then plop your SIM card in your E71 and you have unlimited texts, data and 450 minutes for only $70! The E71 only costs $255 from Dell after this coupon code (65G7RQ11J?M2LH).

Dallan Invictus, the Magic should be better for you. You can just go to xda-developers and they'll port the Hero's upgrades to the Magic soon. I'm not sure if there's a root done for the Magic yet but there should be one. You can do custom themes, install apps to your SD card and tether with a root. I remember also being able to hack the browser to make it multi-touch. The iPhone has a slightly better keyboard and both phones have the same browsing experience. The Magic should get Flash soon, probably after a custom ROM from xda-developers.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

K posted:

No more smartphones. Or really, anything super fancy. Something simple.

Godzilla07 posted:

get a nice S60 phone.

Do you see your mistake here?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Noctone posted:

Do you see your mistake here?

I didn't respond to him. It's you that made the mistake.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Godzilla07 posted:

I didn't respond to him. It's you that made the mistake.

Whoooooops. My apologies.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Godzilla07 posted:

Thirteenth Step, I can't really help you because I don't know what the UK prices are for most phones but the Nokia N85 sounds like a good phone for you. It has GPS, Wi-Fi for Internet browsing and a great camera. If the N85 isn't in your price range, get the N82 which has a better camera with a Xenon flash instead of dual-LEDs and it has Wi-Fi and GPS too.

Cool! Thanks for that! But I know this is judging a book by it's cover a bit but I remember about a year or so ago the N series was completely poo poo, slow, sluggish, freeze-prone phones. Has the N series changed over the last year or so? is it better now? Becuase that phone sounds just what I need!

Edit: the N79 looks great too :)

Thirteenth Step fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 30, 2009

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Thirteenth Step posted:

Cool! Thanks for that! But I know this is judging a book by it's cover a bit but I remember about a year or so ago the N series was completely poo poo, slow, sluggish, freeze-prone phones. Has the N series changed over the last year or so? is it better now? Becuase that phone sounds just what I need!

Edit: the N79 looks great too :)

The N85 and N79 are newer models which aren't as prone to slowdowns and crashing because of more memory. The N79 is a good phone if you're a hardcore bar person but normally I just recommend the N85 because it's an improved N95.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inconspicuous
Mar 24, 2007

those are pearls that were his eyes
Hello,

I'm looking to get some idea of what features I want for a new cellphone plan. Right now I'm on a very limited plan I got nearly 3 years ago. It's a family plan and I have no idea how many voice minutes are involved, but it has no texting or data. I want to get off this plan and start my own. Trouble is I know nearly nothing about plans! Here's some info:

* Country/Provider: US, Cingular/AT&T

* Current contract status: Family plan. I know no details, but it only has voice service, nothing fancy.

* Budget (phone/plan): $200 for phone, no more than $80/month plan

* Features I know I want: Regarding the phone: my current phone is a three year old flip phone. Almost anything would be better than it, so I don't feel like I need anything fancy. I want to send text messages and photos. I want to use instant messengers on it. I prefer it has a QWERTY keyboard to make this easier.

Regarding the plan, I will obviously need voice and text. I don't talk much, so I don't need a whole lot of voice minutes. I can't text now, so I don't know how my text plan should look. I'm not sure whether I need a data plan. I can't access the internet from my current phone, so I'm aware I can live without that service, but I am not sure whether a data plan is required to send photos. I have family in Canada and will likely try to call and text them often. I really prefer to not have a contract, but could live with one, if I had to.

I checked out AT&T, and put together a plan I believe covers all this, but I have no experience with cell phone plans and wanted to get some knowledge here. I am considering:

ATT GoPhone Pick Your Plan
Phone: Samsung A177
Plan: $39.99/mo, 300 anytime, 500 night/weekend
1000 Text Messages $9.99/mo
AT&T WorldConnect $3.99/mo

Is this sufficient to cover what I want to do? Is there a separate feature for international texting I should look for? I really appreciate any help you guys can offer!