Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Mister Kingdom posted:

He could very well be the next Coleman Francis.
So in a few years he'll be found dead in the boot of a car with a length of hose tied around his neck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Plavski posted:

So in a few years he'll be found dead in the boot of a car with a length of hose tied around his neck?

Live the dream!

BIG GAY FAG
Jan 27, 2004
I feel like they're not even trying anymore.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

REX MANNING DAY! posted:

It's interesting to note that they've done a little over a third as many Rifftrax as they did MST3K episodes.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

REX MANNING DAY! posted:

You mean it's effortless?

BIG GAY FAG
Jan 27, 2004
bud american ale/schnappi/end

I'm also on the "The Room was funnier without the riff" boat.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

REX MANNING DAY! posted:

bud american ale/schnappi/end

I'm also on the "The Room was funnier without the riff" boat.
With the huge amount of material they have to put in each Riff - literally hundreds of jokes, plus the many more they discard - having a couple of call-back jokes is not something I am in any way bothered by.

Saying they're not trying is pretty crazy considering just how tough it is to make a Riff in the first place and then have it be good enough that people would pay you to do it.

While I agree they have bad Riffs every once in a while, 'not trying' is something I don't think I could ever accuse them of.

If you want to see someone not trying, why not look at me? I just ended three paragraphs with prepositions. Now that's what I call laziness.

BIG GAY FAG
Jan 27, 2004
There's just something missing. These are the guys that wrote a good portion of mst3k, and it doesn't really have the same vibe or timing that I loved. It just feels lazy. I dunno.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

REX MANNING DAY! posted:

There's just something missing. These are the guys that wrote a good portion of mst3k, and it doesn't really have the same vibe or timing that I loved. It just feels lazy. I dunno.
I agree with you 100% that they feel different and to be honest, I prefer MST3k. Not just because it was funnier - twice the writing staff will do that for your show - but also because there is something friendly about an episode of MST3k rather than antagonistic as with Rifftrax.

Someone, I forget who, said that the difference was that with MST3k you felt like you were being forced to watch these bad movies like Mike/Joel and the Bots. There was a niceness in that they didn't choose to watch the films but are making the most out of them. There's a conceit there that let's you go along with them. With Rifftrax though, it's different as they are just three blokes arguing with the screen.

They probably said it more succinctly and more to the point than I did, but it's certainly how I feel. There's a warmth to MST3k that makes things funnier. They sound like they're having fun. With Rifftrax, it's a bit colder and without the plot and surroundings, they come across as aloof and superior which affects the tone and hence the comedy.

I still love Rifftrax and watch them all, but they're just not as fun as MST3k.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Plavski posted:

I agree with you 100% that they feel different and to be honest, I prefer MST3k. Not just because it was funnier - twice the writing staff will do that for your show - but also because there is something friendly about an episode of MST3k rather than antagonistic as with Rifftrax.

Someone, I forget who, said that the difference was that with MST3k you felt like you were being forced to watch these bad movies like Mike/Joel and the Bots. There was a niceness in that they didn't choose to watch the films but are making the most out of them. There's a conceit there that let's you go along with them. With Rifftrax though, it's different as they are just three blokes arguing with the screen.

They probably said it more succinctly and more to the point than I did, but it's certainly how I feel. There's a warmth to MST3k that makes things funnier. They sound like they're having fun. With Rifftrax, it's a bit colder and without the plot and surroundings, they come across as aloof and superior which affects the tone and hence the comedy.

I still love Rifftrax and watch them all, but they're just not as fun as MST3k.

Good points, all, but we're never going to see MST3K again. I have come to accept this and embrace Rifftrax for what it is.

The major clunker so far was Batman & Robin. Yes, it was written by fans and let's hope they never do that again. Let the fans do their own iRiffs and let Mike and the guys do their thing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
The next Rifftrax Presents has been announced:

Ghost

Cole Stratton and Janet Varney did a pretty good job with Dirty Dancing, so I'm looking forward to this.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
From the comments made, I think the main thing people are missing in Rifftrax is the theater seats.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Granted I haven't watched the Room rifftrax in its entirety but from the sample I saw on the website, I think the problem is something Mike Nelson himself brought up in an interview which was that it's easier to riff a bad Hollywood movie because at least it has a sense of pacing and measured dialogue, whereas bad movies tend to pad it with more bad dialogue so it's harder to get a word in edgewise. From what I saw in the sample it seemed they would sometimes have to cut off some of the dialogue as it trailed or vise versa. To really appreciate the badness of The Room I think the awkward silent pauses have to be taken in

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Granted I haven't watched the Room rifftrax in its entirety but from the sample I saw on the website, I think the problem is something Mike Nelson himself brought up in an interview which was that it's easier to riff a bad Hollywood movie because at least it has a sense of pacing and measured dialogue, whereas bad movies tend to pad it with more bad dialogue so it's harder to get a word in edgewise. From what I saw in the sample it seemed they would sometimes have to cut off some of the dialogue as it trailed or vise versa. To really appreciate the badness of The Room I think the awkward silent pauses have to be taken in
That's not really the case at all. There's plenty of space and 'measured' dialogue, it just happens to be badly written and badly performed. Also, they have done way worse films than the Room and made them hilarious.

Seriously, the Room is Oscar worthy compared to the Skydivers, the Horror at Party Beach, or the Creeping Terror.

It's just an average Riff, that's all.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 23, 2009

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Plavski posted:

That's not really the case at all. There's plenty of space and 'measured' dialogue, it just happens to be badly written and badly performed. Also, they have done way worse films than the Room and made them hilarious.

Seriously, the Room is Oscar worthy compared to the Skydivers, the Horror at Party Beach, or the Creeping Terror.

It's just an average Riff, that's all.

Nothing beats Monster A Go-Go. I wouldn't even call it a movie.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MrMidnight posted:

Nothing beats Monster A Go-Go. I wouldn't even call it a movie.
Case in point: The line between science fiction and science fact is microscopically thin. You have witnessed the line being shaved even thinner.

BOOOOO BOOOOOO!!!

I think when it comes to pointless movies about pointless things that are totally pointless, 'The Dead Talk Back' is my personal favourite. It's such a stunningly inept movie with the most bizarre 'hero' ever seen that it never fails to make my cockles glow.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

No one ever brings up The Wild World of Batwoman as one of the worst movies, but it's a completely incomprehensible mess. Hard to argue with The Starfighters, though. Not a goddamn thing happened.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

bananasinpajamas posted:

No one ever brings up The Wild World of Batwoman as one of the worst movies, but it's a completely incomprehensible mess. Hard to argue with The Starfighters, though. Not a goddamn thing happened.
Batwoman has a couple of my very favourite things though. It has the horseshoe fight, the non-stop barrage of subplots, the million ratfink chase sequence and Tom Servo yelling "END!!!!" at the screen. It's a truly atrocious movie though.

Oh, and how could I forget...

CHING CHONG WING WONG TING TONG WING WONG

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Just saw a few Rifftrax across the weekend when I visited my brother (a fellow MST3K fan).

First was Twilight. Oh dear loving LORD that was a horrible movie.
"AHHH! THAT ARMADILLO IS BACK AGAIN"

The "Line?" "Line!" part really had me rolling. But man. That two-hour movie felt more like five :(

Saw Jaws later on. Now whenever I see my brother on AIM, I have an urge to say "Arrrrrrbies."

Gotta say, though, that the Riff player has been absolute poo poo. Been doing it the old-fashioned way.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

I haven't seen The Room yet (with or without Rifftrax) but one thing I wish they'd stop doing is shoehorning in Schnappi jokes. He's das kleine crocodil. Stop making every single monster be Schnappi, guys. You're killing your running gag.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Good points, all, but we're never going to see MST3K again. I have come to accept this and embrace Rifftrax for what it is.

The major clunker so far was Batman & Robin. Yes, it was written by fans and let's hope they never do that again. Let the fans do their own iRiffs and let Mike and the guys do their thing.

B&R trails off majorly in the second half, but the first half is great. "L'eggo my eggo" is still my favorite line in any Rifftrax.

Emmitt Nervend
Mar 16, 2001

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that The Room is one of their best riffs yet. I was cracking up out loud by myself, which is something I rarely do when watching anything. I think they are really at their top form when they do truly bad movies like this. Not that stuff like Twilight and The Happening aren't bad, but movies like this have a whole different quality to them. My favorite riffs have been the really lovely low budget movies like Troll 2 and the like. I'll still get them when they do movies I like such as Raiders, but I just don't find them as enjoyable.

That being said, I still say the first Fantastic Four is the best one they've done, hands down.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Emmitt Nervend posted:

I seem to be in the minority in thinking that The Room is one of their best riffs yet. I was cracking up out loud by myself, which is something I rarely do when watching anything.

I agree with all of this.

Also I usually hate disembaudio but loved all the skits in The Room. They were the perfect distraction from the insane awkwardness of those wretched love scenes. What a truly awful movie, my god.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ManiacClown posted:

I haven't seen The Room yet (with or without Rifftrax) but one thing I wish they'd stop doing is shoehorning in Schnappi jokes. He's das kleine crocodil. Stop making every single monster be Schnappi, guys. You're killing your running gag.
Maybe we should lobby for the triumphant return of TRUMPY NOO!!

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Owsla posted:

I agree with all of this.

Also I usually hate disembaudio but loved all the skits in The Room. They were the perfect distraction from the insane awkwardness of those wretched love scenes. What a truly awful movie, my god.
The first time through I hated the Disembaudio skits, but I will say that they grew on me in the next run through.

fenix down posted:

Maybe we should lobby for the triumphant return of TRUMPY NOO!!
No, dude, STAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

No, dude, STAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Nelson.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Plavski posted:

Case in point: The line between science fiction and science fact--
Crow: And science CRAP! :v:

quote:

I think when it comes to pointless movies about pointless things that are totally pointless, 'The Dead Talk Back' is my personal favourite. It's such a stunningly inept movie with the most bizarre 'hero' ever seen that it never fails to make my cockles glow.
Couldn't agree more. Certain actors own their roles. Aldo Farnese IS Mr. Krasker.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003
In the drawn out buck naked walking away from bed shot, one of them starts yelling "Disconnect! *psh* Disconnect! *psh* Disconnect! *psh*".

What the hell is that from?

Also where do we sign to get a Lowtax/Nelson riff of Nukie?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Gr3y posted:

Also where do we sign to get a Lowtax/Nelson riff of Nukie?

I would love to see anyone riff Nukie, because I'm in the unfortunate minority that has seen it, and the person I saw it with actually liked it. I'm not his friend anymore. Unfortunately, Nukie is not available on DVD to my knowledge, so I doubt they'd make it. Of course they riffed the star wars holiday special, and that's not available anywhere except at booths at sci-fi cons.

Christ, Nukie is just pure pain. I'm not sure there's anything that could make it funny.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

So alright then chaps and chapettes, it's that time again...

Name Your Favourite MST3k Episode & Rifftrax

For new people joining us, they might not know where to start so we each get to pick one MST3k episode and one Rifftrax to recommend to new peoples. Please bear in mind though, that recommending one does not disapprove of the others - The Final Sacrifice is a universal favourite for example and will probably not be mentioned often because of it - but hopefully it'll highlight under-appreciated gems in the 'canon'

So for myself, it goes like this:

MST3k: Girls Town - Series 6, Episode 1

My favourite MST by a good distance. It has everything, a big breasted protagonist, jive talk, musicians trying to act, nuns and gradypusses. Not only that, but every drat line is a classic. It's the most consistent MST in my opinion as almost every line makes me laugh out loud, despite having seen it many, many times.

Best quote: (regarding a fleeing Mel Tormé) Just follow the trail of scat!

Rifftrax: Over the Top

It's a solo Mike effort, and probably not a favourite of many other people but this one just makes me laugh more than any other. Mike does a dead on Stallone impression and the movie is so generic and brainless that I can both appreciate the crapness of the movie and the brilliance of the Riff at the same time. Usually I have to focus on the Riff alone but with the solo Mike effort here, I feel it truly 'compliments' the movie, rather than roundly mocks or scorns it. Robert Loggia is just incredible too.

Best quote: "Oh it's a Double Elimination? Well why didn't they say that?"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Plavski posted:

So alright then chaps and chapettes, it's that time again...

Name Your Favourite MST3k Episode & Rifftrax

For MST3K, this varies with the wind, but I always find myself returning to [b]Red Zone Cuba[/i]. It's one of the worst films they've ever done: incomprehensible, confusing, amateurism in every frame, with one of the most unappealing characters ever to grace the silver screen. But enough about Cherokee Jack.

Best quote:

Mike (as Coleman Francis): "For the sex shot, let's focus on me with my legs splayed, and my enormous package spread out."

For Rifftrax, it's probably tied between "Battlefield Earth", the Corbett/Murphy riffs of the two "Star Trek" fan films, and "Why Doesn't Cathy Eat Breakfast/Petaluma Chicken".

Favorite quotes: Every riff about kissing that blond guy ("Battlefield Earth"); the ripping on the guy playing Spock (the two ST fan films); and for "Petaluma Chicken":

(Yes, that is women doing jumping jacks in a giant frying pan.)

Mike: "Ah, I see they're following David Lynch's omelet recipe."
Kevin: "Was this legal? IS this legal?!?"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
MST3K is hard because I have a couple of favorites. Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Pod People, Werewolf, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, there's so many that I love. But the very best has to be

HOBGOBLINS

A shameless ripoff of Gremlins, not to mention god awful. The riffing is hilarious, and the movie itself is just loving bizarre. Watch as the kindly old security guard commits domestic terrorism to save everyone! Watch a 30 minute club scene that goes absolutely nowhere!

Best Rifftrax in my experience so far is hands down Twilight. It's kind of like a MST3K movie itself. It was made with millions of dollars, but it was technically "low budget" for a movie that big and oh my god does it show. The acting is wretched, the writing is abysmal Mormon trash, and the riffing is solid gold.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Captain Charisma posted:

MST3K is hard because I have a couple of favorites. Space Mutiny, Time Chasers, Pod People, Werewolf, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, there's so many that I love. But the very best has to be

HOBGOBLINS

A shameless ripoff of Gremlins, not to mention god awful. The riffing is hilarious, and the movie itself is just loving bizarre. Watch as the kindly old security guard commits domestic terrorism to save everyone! Watch a 30 minute club scene that goes absolutely nowhere!

Best Rifftrax in my experience so far is hands down Twilight. It's kind of like a MST3K movie itself. It was made with millions of dollars, but it was technically "low budget" for a movie that big and oh my god does it show. The acting is wretched, the writing is abysmal Mormon trash, and the riffing is solid gold.

Look out you little doodad.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

My favorite Rifftrax is The Dark Knight. My wife and I were rolling the whole time.

Favorite quote: "I wonder if he has Onstar on that thing. 'WHERE AM I?!?!?'"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Captain Charisma posted:

HOBGOBLINS

Then you'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZEDU9RNA0

The cast reunites to talk about the movie.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then you'll enjoy this:

Oh good god.... :suicide:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mo_Steel posted:

Oh good god.... :suicide:

Whatever man, Fantasia is looking pretty drat good.

Edit: Oh mister Zookeeper...

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then you'll enjoy this:

Are they going to bring Back-sweat back for the sequel?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Liberal Idiot posted:

"Zed? It's Maynard. The spider just caught a coupla flies."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Liberal Idiot posted:

Why not buy it and find out?

• Locked thread