Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Mister Kingdom posted:

Then you'll enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZEDU9RNA0

The cast reunites to talk about the movie.

Fantasia aged well. She doesn't look like a tranny anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know guys like the crew of Hobgoblins and Time Chasers all say they were good sports about it when they saw the episode, but I don't buy it. People who make movies as bad as those typically think they're making the greatest thing ever, and Mike was a lot more vicious on movies than Joel.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Captain Charisma posted:

I know guys like the crew of Hobgoblins and Time Chasers all say they were good sports about it when they saw the episode, but I don't buy it. People who make movies as bad as those typically think they're making the greatest thing ever, and Mike was a lot more vicious on movies than Joel.
MST3k gives their 'greatest thing ever' another chance to shine. People talk about it again, it gets recognition and gets back in the limelight for a bit. Directors love that stuff as it gives their little movies a second wind - and more money. You just need to look at The Room for a fine example of this effect.

Also, most low budget actors and crew don't care about the movie they make, it's usually only the auteurs in the directors/writers chair that care about it.

But you get the opposite effects too. For example, the director of Soultaker got into a big argument on the imdb board saying that he hated the MST version because they butchered the movie by cutting it up so heavily for the format and it's really nowhere near as bad a film as they made it appear. Of course any right thinking individual can see that Soultaker is a crap movie and no amount of re-inserted scenes would fix the awful trite script and ridiculous acting, but the director's of these films really care about their work.

Also, there's something to be said for time having mellowed people. Hobgoblins was made in 1988, it was MSTied in 1998. 10 years is 10 years. I'm sure if you could see some of the stuff you did 10 years ago you thought was great at the time, it'd probably look crap in comparison to what you can do now and so, rightly, laughable.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Captain Charisma posted:

The story goes that the Time Chasers crew invited the MST3K guys to a viewing party of the episode, and that the party really dropped dead about halfway through the episode when they realized how much they tore the movie apart. Pink Boy in particular was crushed, to hear Mike tell the story.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Plavski posted:

But you get the opposite effects too. For example, the director of Soultaker got into a big argument on the imdb board saying that he hated the MST version because they butchered the movie by cutting it up so heavily for the format and it's really nowhere near as bad a film as they made it appear. Of course any right thinking individual can see that Soultaker is a crap movie and no amount of re-inserted scenes would fix the awful trite script and ridiculous acting, but the director's of these films really care about their work.

At least Joe Estevez was a good sport about it. Hell, he'd have to be. He IS Joe Estevez, after all.

Soultaker was a bad vanity project for the writer and nothing more. As is often the case with mistied movies, the IDEA is good, the execution is usually piss-poor.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Liberal Idiot posted:

The story goes that the Time Chasers crew invited the MST3K guys to a viewing party of the episode, and that the party really dropped dead about halfway through the episode when they realized how much they tore the movie apart. Pink Boy in particular was crushed, to hear Mike tell the story.
The actors also took issue with the almost total excising of one of their friends whose part they all loved. The 'new york, new york' cabbie had loads more scenes apparently but was obviously trimmed for time in the MST version.

Another point to note is that there was an on-set joke during the making of Future War that the film was so awful it was bound to be MSTied. Sometimes bad movie makes know they're making bad movies. I doubt Roger Corman though 'The Undead' was the pinnacle of the cinematic method during production.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 24, 2009

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Grandpa Pap posted:

(Yes, that is women doing jumping jacks in a giant frying pan.)

Mike: "Ah, I see they're following David Lynch's omelet recipe."
Kevin: "Was this legal? IS this legal?!?"

This was the most confusing thing I've ever seen. I loved it.

Favorite MST3K: Creeping Terror. Unbelievably bad movie with the worst monster of any MST3K'd movie and everything is dubbed. Paraphrased: "Here lemme just give ya a hand here" is a fantastic line.

Favorite short is A Date With Your Family. First time I saw this, I literally laughed at every riff. "He won't spend too long on the phone." "He's mute."...."Hello there!" "Who are you?"...."MARTINI!"....Also, in any short or movie, pretty much any riff where they complete the narrator's sentence is fantastic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Plavski posted:

The actors also took issue with the almost total excising of one of their friends whose part they all loved. The 'new york, new york' cabbie had loads more scenes apparently but was obviously trimmed for time in the MST version.

I always chalked that guy up to bad screenwriting, but now at least I know it's MST3K's fault that his character makes no sense. I didn't get the feeling he would have been a worthwhile addition to the movie from the few seconds they left in, though.

"I come from NOO YOWK NOO YOWK."

EDIT: One of my all-time favorite moments is during the "What to Do on a Date" short, when the dweeb is on the phone and his friend comes slowly down the stairs with a tennis racket while the robots blast out the "Psycho" shower sting.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Holy gently caress! (Releases 7/2)

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Wiseblood posted:

Joel McHale? No wucking fay, that guy's one of my big style comedy heroes. And Red Dawn? Colour me excited!

Yancee
Dec 30, 2002
YES!!! I loved this movie so much as a kid. Scared the poo poo out of me (I had a view of my playground from my class and I thought we were going to be invaded at any moment). Joel and Michael are going to kill this one!

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I always thought that movie deserved to be riffed. If they don't mention the snot bubble, Imma be pissed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

I always thought that movie deserved to be riffed. If they don't mention the snot bubble, Imma be pissed.

I've been waiting for this ever since they did Road House (I'm glad someone else likes the snot bubble too!) Oh my god oh my god oh my god

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I just watched The room with the riffs on, and oh my god what a piece of poo poo movie. The riffing was alright, but my god. I think 50% of the movie was old camera footage of San Francisco, 40% awkward HORRIBLE sex scenes and 10% people greeting each other. I read on Wikipedia that he meant it as a black comedy, but i can't imagine Tommy Wiseau be intelligent enough to even know what a black comedy is.

It was actually worse then Troll 2. And it was not the good kind of bad either. It was just sad, irritating and awful. You could hear it in Mike, Bill and Kevin's voices, they wanted no part of it.

Pooned fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jun 25, 2009

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I've been waiting for this ever since they did Road House (I'm glad someone else likes the snot bubble too!) Oh my god oh my god oh my god

I bought Red Dawn on DVD for $10 about 6 or so years ago and at the time my girlfriend was making fun of me, but I forced her to watch it with me. And that's when I saw the snot bubble. We must have watched it frame-by-frame about 5 times, laughing hysterically all the while.

Pooned posted:

I just watched The room with the riffs on, and oh my god what a piece of poo poo movie. The riffing was alright, but my god. I think 50% of the movie was old camera footage of San Francisco, 40% awkward HORRIBLE sex scenes and 10% people greeting each other. I read on Wikipedia that he meant it as a black comedy, but i can't imagine Tommy Wiseau be intelligent enough to even know what a black comedy is.

Oh hi, Pooned! What's new?

Actually if you scour the internet for stuff about The Room (like I did after I first watched it), there're a LOT of people who aren't buying the whole "black comedy" thing. The whole movie was a vanity piece to begin with. I mean come on, Johnny is SO NICE. He's SO GENEROUS. He's my FAVORITE CUSTOMER. He's so smart, the BANK is STEALING his IDEAS. Not to mention Wiseau wrote, produced, directed, and starred in the drat thing.

The black comedy stuff is Wiseau's way of trying to save face after the movie started garnering a cult following, but only because it's so bad it's good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Wiseblood posted:

This has potential to be the greatest Rifftrax ever.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fillerbunny posted:

The black comedy stuff is Wiseau's way of trying to save face after the movie started garnering a cult following, but only because it's so bad it's good.

Yeah, seeing "black comedy" on the IMDB page was hilarious.

A friend and I watched The Room tonight without a Rifftrax, then I watched it with afterward. Yes, I watched The Room twice in a row.

It was great to see that they were making the same jokes we had been. "Oh hai Mark", the Arrested Development references, loads of stuff.

Pretty sure the next week is going to be a lot of calling each other "chicken, cheep-cheep-cheep-cheep-cheep-cheep-cheep".

Savantegarde
May 28, 2006

That was a stupid thing to say. And you're stupid for saying it.
Favorite MST3K: Girl with the Golden Boots. I nearly die everytime that girl just "appears" in the middle of a scene and crow goes "oh look here I am!"
(to all you die hard MST3Kers I may have gotten the exact quote wrong, I'm sorry)

Favorite Rifftrax: The Happening. All of M Night Shamalamadingdongs movies should have been riffed by now after that success.

I'm still waiting for my drat DVD of "The Room" to come in. I want to laugh :(

Savantegarde fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jun 25, 2009

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Savantegarde posted:

Favorite MST3K: Girl with the Golden Boots. I nearly die everytime that ICKY ELF just "appears" in the middle of a scene and TOM goes "I'm Back!"

I'm also a fan.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
WOLVERINES!!!!!

Looking forward to Red Dawn, but I really can't wait for Return of the Jedi and/or the next Harry Potter movie. Excellent Riffs for both franchises.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Vicissitude posted:

WOLVERINES!!!!!

Looking forward to Red Dawn, but I really can't wait for Return of the Jedi and/or the next Harry Potter movie. Excellent Riffs for both franchises.
I'm pretty sure the Riff will just be wolf whistles at Leia in the bikini (and references to a horny George Lucas), stuff about leia being lukes sister and him getting off with her but said in yoda speak on dagobah, the emperor asking luke for his depends and his insure, and just lots of giggling at the ewoks and how the mighty empire was brought down by a bunch of care bears.

I can't wait :D

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fillerbunny posted:

I bought Red Dawn on DVD for $10 about 6 or so years ago and at the time my girlfriend was making fun of me, but I forced her to watch it with me. And that's when I saw the snot bubble. We must have watched it frame-by-frame about 5 times, laughing hysterically all the while.

There's another snot bubble-esque scene towards the beginning of the movie, after the Soviets invade and Swayze and the gang drive off into the woods. The boys are all arguing and they turn to Swayze for guidance, and he tries to put his hands into his coat pockets for dramatic effect but he can't quite find them so he gives up after a few tries and just leaves them outside.

It really is an amazing movie.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Ainsley McTree posted:

There's another snot bubble-esque scene towards the beginning of the movie, after the Soviets invade and Swayze and the gang drive off into the woods. The boys are all arguing and they turn to Swayze for guidance, and he tries to put his hands into his coat pockets for dramatic effect but he can't quite find them so he gives up after a few tries and just leaves them outside.

It really is an amazing movie.

hahaha, yeah, I remember that--but it has to step aside to stand in the shadow that is the snot bubble. poo poo I should go watch that.

Yancee
Dec 30, 2002
If anybody is interested in hearing from Wiseau himself about the art of directing and other such things, the A.V. Club has interview with him. The interview is here: http://www.avclub.com/articles/tommy-wiseau,29598/?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds&utm_source=avclub_rss_daily

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pooned posted:

It was actually worse then Troll 2. And it was not the good kind of bad either. It was just sad, irritating and awful. You could hear it in Mike, Bill and Kevin's voices, they wanted no part of it.

It did provide what I think is the best riff to date though.
And yeah, there's no loving way that movie was supposed to be a "black comedy," there was clearly nothing intentionally comedic about it.

I had no idea this movie was so huge in bad-movie-cult circles though, I didn't even know it existed until the riff came out.

BTW, what was the Arrested Development reference? I remember them saying something about the Bluths around the "chicken cheep-cheep-cheep" scene, but I didn't get it.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 28, 2009

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

raditts posted:

And yeah, there's no loving way that movie was supposed to be a "black comedy," there was clearly nothing intentionally comedic about it.

I had no idea this movie was so huge in bad-movie-cult circles though, I didn't even know it existed until the riff came out.

BTW, what was the Arrested Development reference? I remember them saying something about the Bluths around the "chicken cheep-cheep-cheep" scene, but I didn't get it.
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6/arrested-development-chicken-dances-796328.html

LT.CrownRoast
Mar 20, 2009

by XyloJW
I can't imagine The Room being watchable at all without the riffs. I thought it was certainly one of the better Rifftrax i've seen, I loved the disembaudio portions as well.

Probably watched The Room 3 times now and it still makes me laugh everytime.

"oh hi denny"

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I watched it first without the riffs and I nearly pissed myself, so it's definitely doable.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

LT.CrownRoast posted:

I can't imagine The Room being watchable at all without the riffs. I thought it was certainly one of the better Rifftrax i've seen, I loved the disembaudio portions as well.

Probably watched The Room 3 times now and it still makes me laugh everytime.

"oh hi denny"
There are some people out there who think it's funnier without the Rifftrax.

:shobon:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Red Dawn is now available!

For Wolverines!

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Mister Kingdom posted:

Red Dawn is now available!

For Wolverines!

This was really funny, I love Joel McHale. "Sure it's World War 3 and all, but hey, free tanks!"

Also, don't watch it with the rifftrax player, it doesn't do subtitles and you won't be able to understand the scenes with the russians.

HappyDooies
Sep 20, 2006
Just finished Red Dawn RiffTrax. Joel's chops are just as good as any other Joel who has ever riffed.
Top Notch!

Naiive Melody
Jan 27, 2009

by Peatpot
I just realized Joel McHale is the man who hosted the abysmal Ubisoft E3 press conference - although, ironically he did a hilarious job holding up as everything around him was just pure poo poo. Now I really want to get this riff.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Naiive Melody posted:

I just realized Joel McHale is the man who hosted the abysmal Ubisoft E3 press conference - although, ironically he did a hilarious job holding up as everything around him was just pure poo poo. Now I really want to get this riff.

He should come back and riff Avatar when it comes out on DVD.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Watched The Happening last night, dear god what a terrible movie. Not that that it was a great cast/director, but it's so obvious how phoned-in the whole thing was.

My favorite riff was the "breaking the 4th wall" shot of the little girl.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

raditts posted:

The thing I love about Tommy Wiseau is how far he will go to save himself from looking like an idiot.

When he realised that people thought The Room was abysmal to the point of hilarity, he quickly altered the genre to be 'black comedy', even though it's only funny because it's unintentionally bad.

When the public found out that he had shot the film on two cameras on the same trolley because he didn't know the difference between film and HD video, he began to write a book about how he had done it on purpose to compare and contrast them critically.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Watched The Happening last night, dear god what a terrible movie. Not that that it was a great cast/director, but it's so obvious how phoned-in the whole thing was.

My favorite riff was the "breaking the 4th wall" shot of the little girl.

The Happening riff was great, one of the few I've really enjoyed. The Room is funnier without the riffs, although there is that one bit...

Lisa's friend: "Something awful is going to happen!"
Mike: "Yeah, and then you'll be in trouble with Lowtax."

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 3, 2009

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Leovinus posted:

The Happening riff was great, one of the few I've really enjoyed. The Room is funnier without the riffs, although there is that one bit...

Lisa's friend: "Something awful is going to happen!"
Mike: "Yeah, and then you'll be in trouble with Lowtax."

Daredevil is one that doesn't get enough love around here, I think it's probably one of my favorite riffs. I definitely agree that MST3K is funnier though.

This Map Is GoodFun
Jul 2, 2009
Watched the Twilight RiffTrax with my friends a while back. In spite of it being a pretty good riff, they still haven't forgiven me for making them watch Twilight. :smith:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Just started watching Red Dawn. Why all the hate for Bud American Ale? (I don't drink, so don't ask, "Have you ever tasted it?")

Also, why the David Sedaris rip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Leovinus posted:

When the public found out that he had shot the film on two cameras on the same trolley because he didn't know the difference between film and HD video, he began to write a book about how he had done it on purpose to compare and contrast them critically.

"With the film camera it will have the strip of film inside of it. But HD no such thing, is like magic."

• Locked thread