Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Jensen posted:

I don't understand what you mean about the remote conflicts though. You have multiple remotes for your HTPC?

As in, for instance, the same button that turns on my xbox is the "green button" on a media center remote, so it both completes an action on the HTPC and turns the xbox on. I don't think I have any device-to-device conflicts that don't involve the PC, so a program on the PC that decodes the IR signals should fix that, I just haven't set it up yet.

Sucks about my stability problems; I've had a lot of them recently, not sure what the cause is because it always happens when the TV/stuff is off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

CloFan posted:

As in, for instance, the same button that turns on my xbox is the "green button" on a media center remote, so it both completes an action on the HTPC and turns the xbox on. I don't think I have any device-to-device conflicts that don't involve the PC, so a program on the PC that decodes the IR signals should fix that, I just haven't set it up yet.

Sucks about my stability problems; I've had a lot of them recently, not sure what the cause is because it always happens when the TV/stuff is off.

Go into your Xbox settings and change it to not respond to MCE remotes and only to the 360 remote.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

evilalien posted:

Go into your Xbox settings and change it to not respond to MCE remotes and only to the 360 remote.

Haha yea. I just picked up an xbox last week and noticed it randomly turning on. Figured out it was the green button on my MCE remote. Found the setting on the xbox right quick.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Does this mobo support wake over lan?
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=rs482m4-ild
How can you tell?

I have this and a 3800+ X2 I could use as an HTPC, and I can always throw in a cheap video card to add blu-ray support if I want.

modig fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 20, 2009

supdns
Nov 1, 2004

BuddyChrist posted:

I'm interested in this: http://fit-pc2.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page because it claims to be able to play 1080p and it is virtually noiseless.

So, I ordered and received this little item today. First impression out of the box: holy poo poo, this thing is tiny. I mean you see it to scale in pictures on the site, but it's quite a thing to behold up close. It's got all of the ports I need and would make the perfect HTPC for me.

Except...

I had originally planned to run XBMC as a front-end on this running Ubuntu 8. I've got a nicely organized library that I was just going to transfer over. Unfortunately, they REALLY push the limits on the power requirements to play 1080p, and XBMC absolutely choked when I tried to play a 1080p movie.

Apparently they have installed a special mPlayer that will play high definition content. I played the Wall-E short film "Presto" in the custom built mPlayer, and it ran like butter. No hiccups, no problems whatsoever. Oh, except that when you try to exit full screen the program crashes. :argh:

Anyone have any recommendations for a lighter weight front-end that might suit the fit pc2's needs?

I'm hearing some things on the forums about XP actually running smoother than Ubuntu on this machine. I may give that a try and see how it goes. I guess for now I will keep an eye on the forums over there and see what kind of drivers they push out. If I could do it all over again, I think I would build my own HTPC and get a little more leeway on the hardware side of things. If worse comes to worse, I will turn this little guy in to some sort of server and tuck it away.

PS - This probably belongs in the HTPC Front-end thread, but does anyone know how to point XBMC to a specific player to play back the content? I thought I remembered hearing that as an option a bit ago.

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars

mcwaite posted:

PS - This probably belongs in the HTPC Front-end thread, but does anyone know how to point XBMC to a specific player to play back the content? I thought I remembered hearing that as an option a bit ago.

It's not so much a matter of "lighter weight" - the problem is that the only video acceleration XBMC supports out of the box is VDPAU on nVIDIA cards. It has no support whatsoever for Intel or ATI hardware acceleration, so it's trying to decode the HD stuff using only the Atom.

You could try one of the external player mod builds for XP (support here) and getting XBMC to use an external player which supports the Fit's Intel video acceleration.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yes, the external player support is the way to go. You don't need a special build anymore.

Given that, it's not exactly elegant. You switch into a different app with a different UI and different controls. It's good for edge cases where you can't play the file with the default but I don't like it.

A Rabid Llama
Aug 19, 2003

Donkey PUNCH
I apologize if this has been asked, but the recent pages in the thread seem to be talking more about quality, and I'm looking for cheap.

So, I canceled my $80/month cable subscription this week, and am going to give Netflix/Hulu streaming/etc a shot. For my main HD TV, I am good to go. My problem is my bedroom TV. It's just an SDTV, and I don't watch it much, but it would be nice if it still worked, so I could watch some Adult Swim shorts or something on those nights when I can't get to sleep. I was wondering if there was a viable cheap option to hook up to it.

I'm looking for low operating costs (low power) and low upfront cost, along with ease of use (quick power-on or viable sleep mode, wake-on-remote or something). Basically something that works like a cable box, but isn't. Does something like this exist?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A Rabid Llama posted:

I apologize if this has been asked, but the recent pages in the thread seem to be talking more about quality, and I'm looking for cheap.

So, I canceled my $80/month cable subscription this week, and am going to give Netflix/Hulu streaming/etc a shot. For my main HD TV, I am good to go. My problem is my bedroom TV. It's just an SDTV, and I don't watch it much, but it would be nice if it still worked, so I could watch some Adult Swim shorts or something on those nights when I can't get to sleep. I was wondering if there was a viable cheap option to hook up to it.

I'm looking for low operating costs (low power) and low upfront cost, along with ease of use (quick power-on or viable sleep mode, wake-on-remote or something). Basically something that works like a cable box, but isn't. Does something like this exist?

http://www.popcornhour.com/

Pibborando San
Dec 11, 2004

oh yes. two kinds... of dances
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm using XBMC on my pc which is hooked up to my plasma and stereo system to watch videos. When I wanted to watch a DVD I would use the PS3, which had great looking upscaling, but I recently sold it. Using XBMC to watch DVDs, I've noticed a distinct drop in picture quality. There are jaggies visible all over (using Bilinear) and the de-interlacing makes movement choppy (using Bob). Those settings are the best I've found but it's still nowhere near the PS3. What can be done?!

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
I've been looking to build a HTPC that could handle HD and a decent amount of gaming and I was wondering what the best case would be for ~$200. I'd like it to be matte black and match the looks of a Denon receiver as closely as possible. Any suggestions?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Random Hero posted:

I've been looking to build a HTPC that could handle HD and a decent amount of gaming and I was wondering what the best case would be for ~$200. I'd like it to be matte black and match the looks of a Denon receiver as closely as possible. Any suggestions?

I have one of these Antec cases and it looks really nice in my stack of A/V equipment. They have a silver one, too.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

The Human Cow posted:

I have one of these Antec cases and it looks really nice in my stack of A/V equipment. They have a silver one, too.

Yeah, I saw a couple of those Antec cases. They looked pretty nice. Do you by chance have a picture of it with your other A/V equipment? How is it storage wise?

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard with built in 'mouse'?? The room is rather small, so bluetooth would work fine. Needs to come with a bluetooth adapter to plug into the pc too.

Thanks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lando posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a wireless keyboard with built in 'mouse'?? The room is rather small, so bluetooth would work fine. Needs to come with a bluetooth adapter to plug into the pc too.

Thanks.

Logitech Dinovo Mini, doesn't come with a bluetooth adapter but pick up a usb on the cheap for like $10 somewhere.

I just ordered one through Dell today for $89.99 before tax and shipping ($102 after)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Repurposed an old desktop awhile ago, but getting the common problem of stuttering HD (once every 15 min or so half a sec of audio drops and the video speeds up to resync). Not sure if it's the old CPU (my guess) or a combination of that and the Green TB drive I bought (stupid stupid).

Seeing as how a new thread has been threatened recently, is there anyway one of you savvy about this topic could start one with an OP similar to the netbook thread, where they have some suggested builds (cheap to high quality)? I've looked through the last few pages and there are references to "popular builds", but there seem to be infinite versions of these.

For those that have both, do you use your HTPC Blu-Ray drive or PS3 more for movies?

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001
PUT MY CART BACK? I'M BETTER THAN THAT AND YOU! WHERE IS MY BUTLER?!

TraderStav posted:

Logitech Dinovo Mini, doesn't come with a bluetooth adapter but pick up a usb on the cheap for like $10 somewhere.

I just ordered one through Dell today for $89.99 before tax and shipping ($102 after)

It does come with the adapter.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ahz posted:

It does come with the adapter.

Well, even more bonus!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

TraderStav posted:

How'd you get it so cheap? It's showing 120 for me.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Price includes savings from coupon code(s) GFDW8472JG1HW3

http://bountii.com/product-917-logitech-dinovo-mini-wireless-keyboard.html?gclid=COiirPPToZsCFeFM5QodCUasBw

edit: In the event that's a one-time use code, I googled "logitech dinovo mini dell coupon" and it was an advertised link from that bountii.com side.

edit # 2: clofan v2 is far superior to clofan v1...

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 24, 2009

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I've been using an old PC as my HTPC. Recently, I switched from Meedio to XBMC. While I like XBMC, I'm getting a few dropped frames in HD video. I do have a slightly newer mobo/CPU sitting around that I can swap in, but I don't know if its sufficiently faster. I would need to buy a new video card (~$25) to use the new mobo.

The old one is an Pentium 4 2.60GHz (Northwood Socket 478). The newer one is an Athlon 64 3700+ 2.2GHz (San Diego Socket 939). Is it worth the effort to make the swap?

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
Your newer hardware honestly is still pretty borderline for doing high bitrate 1080p in XBMC. I don't think it would have trouble with 720p though.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Random Hero posted:

Yeah, I saw a couple of those Antec cases. They looked pretty nice. Do you by chance have a picture of it with your other A/V equipment? How is it storage wise?

I don't know why this looks like it hangs over everything to the right so much. It's not even a half inch, I think. Excuse the cellphone camera quality.

Storage-wise, you get space for one optical drive and two hard drives. The motherboard compartment is nice and roomy.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Can I get by with a CUDA card and a low-end Intel C2D to playback 1080p w/ CoreAVC and Mediaportal?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The Human Cow posted:

One thing to notice in that picture is that the PC is actually shorter than all the other components. A lot of the HTPC cases are lower profile than they need to be, and it's really pretty much a pain.

Personal experience, I bought this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121027

The CD drive sits about 3 mm over the RAM, you need to remove the power supply to change the HDD, and the power and drive cabling ends up blocking most of the airflow. An extra inch on the case would solve all these problems AND it would blend in better with my receiver.

I knew it was short when I bought it, so I can't complain, but my problem was that I though short was something I wanted.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

smackfu posted:

One thing to notice in that picture is that the PC is actually shorter than all the other components. A lot of the HTPC cases are lower profile than they need to be, and it's really pretty much a pain.

Personal experience, I bought this case:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121027

The CD drive sits about 3 mm over the RAM, you need to remove the power supply to change the HDD, and the power and drive cabling ends up blocking most of the airflow. An extra inch on the case would solve all these problems AND it would blend in better with my receiver.

I knew it was short when I bought it, so I can't complain, but my problem was that I though short was something I wanted.

The Antec Fusion has quite a bit of room actually, plenty of airflow throughout the case.

The only downside to that case is that the VFD display is useless beyond two feet away. Otherwise its a very slick case.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

revmoo posted:

Can I get by with a CUDA card and a low-end Intel C2D to playback 1080p w/ CoreAVC and Mediaportal?

I run a Conroe e4400 with a Geforce 730i mobo (9300) and playback 1080p just fine

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Ahz posted:

The Antec Fusion has quite a bit of room actually, plenty of airflow throughout the case.

The only downside to that case is that the VFD display is useless beyond two feet away. Otherwise its a very slick case.

I've read quite a few reviews that said the display is practically worthless. I'm also not a huge fan that the entire thing lights up blue rather than being black with only blue text. I think the amount of lights on that thing might be a deal breaker for me.

Can anyone else recommend any cases in the ~$200 range, maybe more if its worth it? I'd like to have room for a powerful video card and 3-4 hard drives. Black, brushed aluminum would be preferable too... As close to the Denon 888 as possible. Here's a link for reference:

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3633.asp

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Random Hero posted:

I've read quite a few reviews that said the display is practically worthless. I'm also not a huge fan that the entire thing lights up blue rather than being black with only blue text. I think the amount of lights on that thing might be a deal breaker for me.

Can anyone else recommend any cases in the ~$200 range, maybe more if its worth it? I'd like to have room for a powerful video card and 3-4 hard drives. Black, brushed aluminum would be preferable too... As close to the Denon 888 as possible. Here's a link for reference:

How about this Lian-li case? Or this Chieftec?

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

DarkSol posted:

How about this Lian-li case? Or this Chieftec?

Thanks. That Chieftec looks interesting. Looks like I have a little more searching to do.

Ahz
Jun 17, 2001

Random Hero posted:

I'd still recommend the Fusion over most others considering how roomy it is for an m-atx design. Anything with room for more than 2 HDDs and/or full ATX will be massively huge by comparison, whereas the Fusion is pretty much the same profile as most receivers. Not to mention how quiet the fusion is for the airflow you get.

I just turn the display off via software which still keeps the integrated IR receiver online at all times.

Also the cover for the DVD/BD drive looks far nicer than any case where you see the actual bezel of the drive, which never integrates well.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Ahz posted:

I'd still recommend the Fusion over most others considering how roomy it is for an m-atx design. Anything with room for more than 2 HDDs and/or full ATX will be massively huge by comparison, whereas the Fusion is pretty much the same profile as most receivers. Not to mention how quiet the fusion is for the airflow you get.

I just turn the display off via software which still keeps the integrated IR receiver online at all times.

Also the cover for the DVD/BD drive looks far nicer than any case where you see the actual bezel of the drive, which never integrates well.

How is the built-in IR for the Fusion? Whichever case I go with, I will want to set it up with my Harmony One.

Also, is it possible/have you heard of anyone replacing the display with a better quality one?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Does anyone have a bulletproof $400-600 setup with a bluray drive they could post the build of? 1080p would be nice for future-proofing, but my current tv, although huge, is only 720p. Something that could run XBMC without a dropped frame would be awesome. I have harddrives and ram.

Fnord
Apr 20, 2001
WHAT
I have a fusion. The display is worthless and the IR reciever isn't 100% compatible with windows media center. I personally ripped both out, left the black plastic there and mounted my media center IR receiver behind it. At least that way the space was usefull.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Fnord posted:

I have a fusion. The display is worthless and the IR reciever isn't 100% compatible with windows media center. I personally ripped both out, left the black plastic there and mounted my media center IR receiver behind it. At least that way the space was usefull.

What compatibility issues are you having? Mine works great with VMC and 7MC.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I'm starting to lean towards this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163117

I really like the idea of having everything covered in a nice clean package. It's also almost identically sized compared to my Denon AVR-888 receiver. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, it looks like I'd have to buy a separate IR-receiver. Anyone have any recommendations and/or ideas on how to integrate it into the case?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Random Hero posted:

I'm starting to lean towards this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163117

I really like the idea of having everything covered in a nice clean package. It's also almost identically sized compared to my Denon AVR-888 receiver. Anyone have any experience with this?

Also, it looks like I'd have to buy a separate IR-receiver. Anyone have any recommendations and/or ideas on how to integrate it into the case?

You might want to take a look at the NMediaPC cases as well. They aren't too expensive and they really do look sharp. I personally own the 6000B and it blends right in with my equipment rack (I have a Denon 1908 and it is fairly close height and width wise) and is large enough to accommodate larger (read: quiet) CPU HSF units and fanless video cards with oversized cooling systems.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

For the love of God, how do I get vista to NOT EVER RESTART EVER WITHOUT MY PERMISSION??

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is anyone else considering picking up an Ion based netbook later this year for use as an HTPC? If they live up to the promised performance, it should be able to easily handle 1080p content. And I really like the option of being able to take it with me when visiting parents or friends. The only thing I think I would miss is blu-ray playback, but that could easily be remedied with a PS3 or standalone player.

Here is a link to the Ion specs: http://www.small-laptops.com/nvidia-ion/

Edit: missed the Ion discussion a few pages back, oops.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jun 27, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
What's the most reliable IR receiver to use with Vista 64 and a Harmony One?