Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

HKR posted:

I love how you guys are so busy arguing about alignment that you didn't even consider the implications of the last panel.

What's that you say? Roy's Dad isn't living up to the ideals and standards of the Lawful Good alignment? We knew that when he was kept out of Celestia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Does your alignment stop fluctuating once you kick the bucket or do we have the chance of sweet sweet karma kicking Roy's Dad's rear end down to one of the lower plains once he's out of limbo?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Correnth posted:

Cute touch with the "S. Rogers" sign, even though I feel way too nerdy for getting it.

I feel way too un-nerdy for not getting it... Who's S. Rogers?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm guessing Steve Rogers, Captain America.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SirDan3k posted:

Does your alignment stop fluctuating once you kick the bucket or do we have the chance of sweet sweet karma kicking Roy's Dad's rear end down to one of the lower plains once he's out of limbo?

He's not evil, he's a jerk. He's never murdered children or stolen from the poor, and he spent most of his life saving towns and villages from improbably evil antagonists. Being kind of an rear end father isn't hellworthy, as we see when we realize that Roy's grandfather is exactly the same way, except he approves of fighters and scorns wizards, instead of the other way around.

Let me hasten to remind you that Roy is also a big fat jerk.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

He's not evil, he's a jerk. He's never murdered children or stolen from the poor, and he spent most of his life saving towns and villages from improbably evil antagonists. Being kind of an rear end father isn't hellworthy, as we see when we realize that Roy's grandfather is exactly the same way, except he approves of fighters and scorns wizards, instead of the other way around.

Let me hasten to remind you that Roy is also a big fat jerk.

I think the "sweet sweet Karma" would be the result of burning important information from the Lawful-Good Higher Ups instead of giving it to a hero who is actively working to save reality itself from being unwoven, simply because he's a selfish twat who wants Xylon to die even if it means allowing other people to fall to evil.

I'm not much of a D&D player, so I don't really much too much about the alignments, but I'm pretty sure that poo poo ain't Lawful Good.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Retarded alignment arguments are exactly the reason I always completely ignored alignment in D&D games before 4th edition. Detect <alignment> didn't exist. Smite <alignment> was just Smite. And so on.

gently caress alignment. It's dumb.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Yeah, who would want to live in a world where black and white concepts of good and evil-- often tied to major religions-- and the people who espouse them come into contrast with the moral gray areas of every day life! Can you imagine the kind of trouble that would lead to?

:haw:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can we please, please talk about whether or not a person is a good guy or a bad guy, or whether he's doing stuff for a good cause or just for his own selfish reasons, without a bunch of OMG ALIGNMENT DEBATE HRRNNG spazzouts?

So, why is Ray a big fat jerk?

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Can we please, please talk about whether or not a person is a good guy or a bad guy, or whether he's doing stuff for a good cause or just for his own selfish reasons, without a bunch of OMG ALIGNMENT DEBATE HRRNNG spazzouts?

Because he's Chaotic Evil.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Correnth posted:

Cute touch with the "S. Rogers" sign, even though I feel way too nerdy for getting it.

I don't think you should feel nerdy, for god's sake it was on CNN the day they killed Cap off. Now he might be coming back July 1st.

I love this comic.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
I personally never found Eugene to be anywhere near as insufferable as Roy's constant holier-than-thou bullshit. Roy is by far my least favorite character and I'm a bit disappointed that he's coming back, but then I suppose I can't complain, seeing as how he didn't get very much screentime for about two hundred strips or so.

sumosally
Dec 28, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Halloween Jack posted:

This last comic didn't exhibit his jerkishness per say, but it clearly demonstrated why he's a jerk; he's completely and totally self absorbed. If it's not important to him and his quest, it's pretty much ignored.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seftir posted:

I don't think you should feel nerdy, for god's sake it was on CNN the day they killed Cap off. Now he might be coming back July 1st.

Just in time for Canada Day! :canada:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

sumosally posted:

This last comic didn't exhibit his jerkishness per say, but it clearly demonstrated why he's a jerk; he's completely and totally self absorbed. If it's not important to him and his quest, it's pretty much ignored.
See, I like him because I find it sort of a take on all of those CRPGs where you're like "If I do not soon complete my sacred quest, fire will rain from the heavens and everything will be horrible forever and--what? Someone stole your mother's locket? Why, let me go find it, shouldn't take more than a week or so!"

Edit: Of course, Ray's companions can actually tell him that he needs sidequest XP before he goes after Xykon.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 24, 2009

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Halloween Jack posted:

He said mean things to that paladin lady, and if I white knight for her she might sleep with me . . .

once I'm dead, too.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Halloween Jack posted:

We're actually seeing such an alignment argument in comic. The angels are all, "OMG He's fraternizing with fiends, this is a clear alignment violation, we must alert the proper authorities." Eugene's response is, basically, "Whatever. Good job with those dragons and those boats, and nice try with the lich."

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mystic Mongol posted:

We're actually seeing such an alignment argument in comic. The angels are all, "OMG He's fraternizing with fiends, this is a clear alignment violation, we must alert the proper authorities." Eugene's response is, basically, "Whatever. Good job with those dragons and those boats, and nice try with the lich."

Or the angels might be worried about the fiends' supposed plan to assault the upper planes, and want Roy to do something to prevent whatever it is they're planning.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

How the hell is Roy supposed to prevent whatever three über-fiends who can stop time and appear whereever they want to are up to? Surely they could send a solar or something?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Everyone expects Roy to be their errand boy; why do you think he's always grumpy and trying to refocus things on his own quest?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, yeah, but this seems a tad out of his area of expertise.
He's an adventurer. He kills villains and loots things and mediates disputes. He does not bust up interplanar soul-trading cartels.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

V. Illych L. posted:

How the hell is [good protagonist] supposed to prevent whatever [evil antagonists] who can [powerful ability #1] and [powerful ability #2] to are up to? Surely they could send a solar or something?

Because it is the genre for it! What would happen to the questing economy if good-aligned deities stopped subcontracting?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, yeah, but this seems a tad out of his area of expertise.
He's an adventurer. He kills villains and loots things and mediates disputes. He does not bust up interplanar soul-trading cartels.

That's actually exactly the kind of thing a high-level adventurer would do.

Making high-level quests that aren't as bog-standard as "kill the demon" often involves stuff like that.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Well, if he had any sort of capacity for plane-shifting or tracking down these, that might work. But he's also sort of on another job at the moment.
I mean, come on.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

Well, if he had any sort of capacity for plane-shifting or tracking down these, that might work. But he's also sort of on another job at the moment.
I mean, come on.

You talk as if Roy is an adventuring party unto himself.

With Belkar, Haley, V and Durkon, as well as Elan's bardic knowledge, they can do this quest pretty easily. And I wouldn't be surprised if the fiends went to Xykon to try to make amends, and end up being part of his plan for the Snarl.

rotinaj fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jun 24, 2009

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

rotinaj posted:

That's actually exactly the kind of thing a high-level adventurer would do.

Making high-level quests that aren't as bog-standard as "kill the demon" often involves stuff like that.
But he's still at Paragon level!!!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its funny, when rereading the archives noticed that those three fiends first appeared as Sabine's bosses, I don't think the comic is done with them yet, not by a long shot (which is a shame because they are super boring and generic for OotS villains.)

As for V's alignment, disintegrating Kubota is much stronger evidence of him being chaotic or neutral than stuff like the dragon killing. I've never played D&D but I do read some comics based off of it and have never really seen a chaotic neutral archtype similar to the lawful good, lawful evil, etc ones that get brought up.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Cliff Racer posted:

Its funny, when rereading the archives noticed that those three fiends first appeared as Sabine's bosses, I don't think the comic is done with them yet, not by a long shot (which is a shame because they are super boring and generic for OotS villains.)

You might notice something else about OotS villains: they tend to develop over time. Most of their time on-panel has been exposition, don't forget. Give them a couple minor arcs.

quote:

As for V's alignment, disintegrating Kubota is much stronger evidence of him being chaotic or neutral than stuff like the dragon killing. I've never played D&D but I do read some comics based off of it and have never really seen a chaotic neutral archtype similar to the lawful good, lawful evil, etc ones that get brought up.

The chaotic neutral stereotype, at least in terms of PCs, is the selfish madman, usually played by someone who doesn't want to have any reasoned character development required of them. Lawful is too lawful, neutral is too cautious, chaos is great for someone who thinks it's hilarious to steal all the pants from a town. I don't know about an archetype though, I have to go dig out my books and see what 3E has to say about it.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
The closest to a decent Chaotic Neutral archetype would be Jack Sparrow of Pirates of the Caribbean fame. Really self-involved, there's nothing -personal- about it but he'll sell you up the river for a nickel and will be surprised when after you get out from whatever terrible situation he put you in you've still got a grudge against him.

Chaotic Neutral is a very hard alignment to play as anything that is not an utter jackass. Incidentally, this is why any time somebody says that their character is chaotic neutral you take a very hard look at their character sheet so you know exactly how to grudgekill them when they start getting disruptive.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

I don't remember where I read it, but the best example of a Chaotic neutral archetype I ever heard...

Daffy Duck.

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved

CK07 posted:

chaos is great for someone who thinks it's hilarious to steal all the pants from a town

As much as I hate the Wacky Chaotic Neutral archetype, this actually would be pretty hilarious. If someone was planning to play an epic-level thief who'd been driven insane I'd actually be disappointed if they didn't do this.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

navyjack posted:

I don't remember where I read it, but the best example of a Chaotic neutral archetype I ever heard...

Daffy Duck.

Are we talking old school Daffy who goes around dicking with people just because he can, or the "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" one?

Strontosaurus
Sep 11, 2001

I've been running a chaotic evil elven ranger for the past few months and while he does his fair share of jackassery, probably about 50% of his non-combat activities wind up being highly self-destructive. I've thrown gems into sewage, gotten an eye stabbed out as part of a bet (I won 50 gp and it cost 1500 to replace the eye), and emerged from pointlessly dangerous situations only by the virtue of a lucky crit. I think that's really going to be the end result of anyone playing a "crazy person" correctly. V's behavior seems too intentional to be truly chaotic neutral. If anything the 4E "unaligned" may describe him most comfortably. He's not devoted to evil but he's not devoted to good either. He just wants to go about his business.

Strontosaurus fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 25, 2009

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
To be honest, with the exception of making a deal with demons (in order to save his family,) none of his actions really seemed evil to me. He killed an evil man, gave a bunch of refuges a home, saved his family, killed a bunch of dragons, reunited a team of good adventurers (or at least tried to,) and tried to defeat an evil lich.

In my opinion he would be neutral good or chaotic good but apparently the comic is calling into question his goodness more so than his lawfulness. At least from what we have seen so far anyway.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Cliff Racer posted:

To be honest, with the exception of making a deal with demons (in order to save his family,) none of his actions really seemed evil to me. He killed an evil man, gave a bunch of refuges a home, saved his family, killed a bunch of dragons, reunited a team of good adventurers (or at least tried to,) and tried to defeat an evil lich.

In my opinion he would be neutral good or chaotic good but apparently the comic is calling into question his goodness more so than his lawfulness. At least from what we have seen so far anyway.

Your title makes me think we may not be able to trust your judgment regarding good and evil. :v:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Are we talking old school Daffy who goes around dicking with people just because he can, or the "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" one?
The later. CN is basically "Me first, me second, everyone else a distant third." Someone who's CN will sacrifice anyone and anything to save his own hide.

Cliff Racer posted:

True, but most of that wasn't out of the goodness of his heart. He had no idea who Kubota was (he could have been a pickpocket for all V knew); gave the fleet a new home mainly because he was tired of hearing them talk about it (it's pretty clear that he would have been happy to leave them there); killed a ton of beings who had nothing to do with anything he had going on (and some of them might have been good-aligned siblings. it can happen); refused to give up the power once he saved his family; and tried to kill Xykon to prove that arcane magic is better than everything else.

Alignment notwithstanding, V's actions have always been motivated pretty much by ego.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT

Evil Mastermind posted:

The later. CN is basically "Me first, me second, everyone else a distant third." Someone who's CN will sacrifice anyone and anything to save his own hide.

you've missed the point of D&D Good and Evil. placement along the Good-Evil axis is entirely dependent on whether you put others or yourself first. old school daffy is CN, lovely daffy would be CE

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Maldraedior posted:

you've missed the point of D&D Good and Evil. placement along the Good-Evil axis is entirely dependent on whether you put others or yourself first. old school daffy is CN, lovely daffy would be CE

Okay, we've entered a whole new quagmire: you think Daffy as portrayed in such classics as Chuck Jones' Rabbit Fire/Rabbit Seasoning/Duck! Rabbit! Duck! series of shorts is the lovely Daffy? Seriously?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

Okay, we've entered a whole new quagmire: you think Daffy as portrayed in such classics as Chuck Jones' Rabbit Fire/Rabbit Seasoning/Duck! Rabbit! Duck! series of shorts is the lovely Daffy? Seriously?

I think he means lovely behavior, as in more likely to blow someone up for the crime of existing in the same cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Werle
Aug 8, 2005

Fireworks for Christmas is absolutely American
Ali Babba Bunny Daffy is another fine example. Toss Bugs to Hassan until you're in trouble, then "BUGSY BOY OL'BUDDY OL'PAL!"