Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

hogswallower posted:

What's the word on Ghost Master? It's been on sale on steam a few times in the past but I never got it for whatever reason and it's still on sale till the end of the day on gog so I was curious. It sounds like that game Haunting for the Genesis from way back when which I always wanted to try but never actually did. Anybody tried it?

I loved it when it came out. It's pretty good and has a decent sense of humour. The only issue you may have is that it's too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

hogswallower posted:

What's the word on Ghost Master? It's been on sale on steam a few times in the past but I never got it for whatever reason and it's still on sale till the end of the day on gog so I was curious. It sounds like that game Haunting for the Genesis from way back when which I always wanted to try but never actually did. Anybody tried it?

It's fun and irreverent. In an odd way it's an RTS. You have a stable of ghosts that you chose to go into certain hauntings. The ghosts have "fetters" so that you can only attach them in specific places depending on the ghost. The ghosts then have different powers that you use. Most missions are trying to scare the bejesus out everyone in the area, but some of them are more complex and actually require to scare people, but not too much, in order to complete the goal. There are also usually a few new ghosts in each level each with their own riddle that you must figure out in order to release them. Once you release them they enter your stable and you can use them at any future haunting.

It's campy, but pretty well done. There are WAYYY too many ghosts, but I guess you could argue that that just indicates a high degree of customization. Otherwise there's probably a send-up of every horror movie out there in the game which makes it worth a few chuckles.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
Ghost master is worth it for the price asked yes.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Earth 2160 has finally been released.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Charles Martel posted:

Earth 2160 has finally been released.
Is the Earth 21XX series any good? I loved Warzone 2100 back in the day, still play it since it went open source, and it always seemed to me like the Earth 21XX games were pretty similar. Does anyone know if that's the case?

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I've tried the series not too long ago, but couldn't really get into it. To me they don't seem to have aged all that well, so unless you played it way back when it might not be all that much fun. Then again, it's not a huge monetary loss if you end up not liking it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Woebin posted:

Is the Earth 21XX series any good? I loved Warzone 2100 back in the day, still play it since it went open source, and it always seemed to me like the Earth 21XX games were pretty similar. Does anyone know if that's the case?

Earth 2150 series were amazing, albeit difficult. There are similar customization options in unit design, but the campaign works a lot more differently. Instead of the usual mission 1, mission 2, mission 3, etc... structure, you have to obtain a certain amount of credits to get off of Earth before it burns up in the sun. The process in doing this throws off a lot of players, but is ultimately rewarding in the long run because seeing the Earth go from winter, to tropic, to desert then to hellish wasteland is really cool.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

Only the 3 2150 games are worth playing. 2140 was a buggy, unpolished mess and 2160 streamlined a lot of the game too much (and suffers from terrible balance issues and horrible campaign presentation.)

2160's single player is decent outside of the horrid cutscenes/voicework, but 2150 is a much better all around package.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

So I got Earth 2150 now. It seems fairly decent, although the interface takes some getting used to. I'll just have to look through the manual, I guess. Thanks for the recommendation, would've probably gotten 2160 otherwise.

roushimsx
Dec 1, 2002
I've been trying to get into Earth 2140 (because I loved Earth 2150), but yea, it isn't really up to snuff anymore. Earth 2150 was so drat awesome. The only real drawback is the limited view range, but didn't they fix that in one of the later expansions? The furthest you could zoom the camera out on the original 2150 release was still a bit uncomfortably close.

Thank god the gameplay more than made up for it.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

GoG's Twitter Feed posted:

Working on a press release. Some great stuff in here (to ward off any hysteria: it's probably not something you're expecting).

about 22 hours ago

Hmmm...

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Nobody would ever expect LucasArts to release their back catalog...

I hope "It's not something you expect" means more "pleasant surprise" than "here's some obscure poo poo."

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope "It's not something you expect" means more "pleasant surprise" than "here's some obscure poo poo."

Operation Flashpoint would be nice, but I bet it's another Celtic Kings.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I've never heard of Under a Killing Moon before, but I love adventure games and the setting really grabbed me. Can't wait for it to finish downloading!

e: nice speed on the download, 800+k/sec all the way through

Kikkoman fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jun 25, 2009

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So Silent Hunter II is something we weren't expecting?

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

royallthefourth posted:

So Silent Hunter II is something we weren't expecting?

No they said on Twitter its something else. Speaking of SH II, I advise anyone that is interested to get Silent Hunter III off of Steam instead, much better game and same price as GOG is charging.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Spellforce Platinum & The Guild Gold Bundle is on sale for $13.98.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

Charlie Mopps posted:

Spellforce Platinum & The Guild Gold Bundle is on sale for $13.98.

I couldn't get into The Guild for some reason. I'd welcome anyone who can slice though the complexity and show me where the fun lies.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cynicide posted:

I couldn't get into The Guild for some reason. I'd welcome anyone who can slice though the complexity and show me where the fun lies.

There used to be an LP of it a while back, but I think its been shuffled off into the Archives.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Party Plane Jones posted:

There used to be an LP of it a while back, but I think its been shuffled off into the Archives.

If there was, it'd be here:

http://www.letsplayarchive.com/

But I don't see it.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Cynicide posted:

The fun really lies in the pointlessness of it all. The jobs play out quite differently, but most (with a couple notable exceptions) boil down to repetition. Thankfully for most jobs the managers do just fine when you can finally afford them.

The fun really comes in getting to know your fellow nobles and ruthlessly loving them over whenever you can. Count Van Fucksalot beat you out for that Town Council seat you were looking for? Set his loving house on fire. Want to make sure that you get elected to that seat next time? Attack the enemies of the voting members of the Council and they will come to like you.

Is your wife being an uppity whore? Lock her in the cellar until she dies so that you can take her inheritance. Then marry again! Chances are the riches from your imprisoned wife will make you attractive to even richer women. Rinse and repeat. Is your closest rival doing a little too well at his trade? Bribe, cheat, and backstab you way into mayorship and then hike the taxes on his industry to an unbearable level.

As an economics and trade simulator the game is pretty good. It has complex and nebulous mechanics such as money changing, usury, and "noble" theft. The real fun lies in the backstabbery. I've heard the game is buggy when playing multiplayer, which is a shame because it would be loving fun as hell to play with a few other people.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

GreenNight posted:

But I don't see it.
There's an LP for The Guild 2 here. It dies after two pages though.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 27, 2009

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

But I don't see it.

I don't think it was ever finished, but it did show off almost all of the features of the game.

Cynicide
Jun 13, 2002

Born from a wish

Overwined posted:

The fun really lies in the pointlessness of it all. The jobs play out quite differently, but most (with a couple notable exceptions) boil down to repetition. Thankfully for most jobs the managers do just fine when you can finally afford them.

The fun really comes in getting to know your fellow nobles and ruthlessly loving them over whenever you can. Count Van Fucksalot beat you out for that Town Council seat you were looking for? Set his loving house on fire. Want to make sure that you get elected to that seat next time? Attack the enemies of the voting members of the Council and they will come to like you.

Is your wife being an uppity whore? Lock her in the cellar until she dies so that you can take her inheritance. Then marry again! Chances are the riches from your imprisoned wife will make you attractive to even richer women. Rinse and repeat. Is your closest rival doing a little too well at his trade? Bribe, cheat, and backstab you way into mayorship and then hike the taxes on his industry to an unbearable level.

As an economics and trade simulator the game is pretty good. It has complex and nebulous mechanics such as money changing, usury, and "noble" theft. The real fun lies in the backstabbery. I've heard the game is buggy when playing multiplayer, which is a shame because it would be loving fun as hell to play with a few other people.

All that stuff sounds great but I didn't get more than ten minutes into the tutorial before I was overwhelmed by all the concepts it was throwing at me. So I never really got to the fun stuff. If there was just something that stripped it all down into easily understood chunks it would be fine.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GreenNight posted:

But I don't see it.

Only a small percentage of LPs get put there, so no it most likely wouldn't.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2589960 there it is.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
http://lparchive.org/lpmaster/master.php

This site also has abandoned LPs, although you may need to search for it because it might now turn up on the master list.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Cynicide posted:

All that stuff sounds great but I didn't get more than ten minutes into the tutorial before I was overwhelmed by all the concepts it was throwing at me. So I never really got to the fun stuff. If there was just something that stripped it all down into easily understood chunks it would be fine.

Do yourself a favor and skip the tutorial. Jump right in and choose one of the more standard professions like perfumer, tailor, or apothecary. Get your shop up and running manually and when it finally starts to turn a profit and you get a little cash in the bank, hire a manager for the store. Once you've got that money coming in you can try for another shop, or you can mess around with the political system.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Entorwellian posted:

Earth 2150 series were amazing, albeit difficult. There are similar customization options in unit design, but the campaign works a lot more differently. Instead of the usual mission 1, mission 2, mission 3, etc... structure, you have to obtain a certain amount of credits to get off of Earth before it burns up in the sun. The process in doing this throws off a lot of players, but is ultimately rewarding in the long run because seeing the Earth go from winter, to tropic, to desert then to hellish wasteland is really cool.

I thought it was a great touch when I finished the game like 10 missions early because I made a mad grab for resources.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Pandora Directive up for 9.99.

If anyone's played this, can you tell me if they added wasd movement to the first person parts? Having to slide my mouse all over the place was a bit irritating. Also, are there any more "stealth" sequences in this game? The one in Under a Killing Moon was terribly annoying.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure the control scheme is the same. I don't remember any stealth sequences but there's at least one point with a time limit.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Some new releases:

Personal Nightmare, some 20 year old adventure game.

Also, the Ishar compilation has added 2 more games, so if you had it before you can download the other two for free now.

Lasse Lillebakken
Jul 23, 2007

请大家闭嘴
There's also 20% off the pinball games this weekend. Pro Pinball Fantastic Journey would be my recommendation.

Save a couple of cents, why don't you.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So, just to be absolutely clear, Beyond Good And Evil will work on 64-bit Vista? That sounds like one o' dem too-good-to-be-true things, it does.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Leovinus posted:

So, just to be absolutely clear, Beyond Good And Evil will work on 64-bit Vista? That sounds like one o' dem too-good-to-be-true things, it does.
Yes, just turn off Hardware Vertex rendering in the options and you're fine.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Plavski posted:

Yes, just turn off Hardware Vertex rendering in the options and you're fine.

Looked through the thread and couldn't find an answer.

I am interested in GOG, but I had a few questions:
1) I know it is DRM free, but does this mean I do not need to be online to play my games? This is important as many of the games I would like to buy are going onto machines with no internet access.
2) The versions of Fallout on GOG, are they already patched to the latest official versions? and also, are the timing bugs fixed? Specifically the counter as you walk from city to city. I had to download a separate patch for y disc versions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

ohrus
Aug 6, 2008

There is a war between the ones who say "there is a war" and the ones who say "there isn't."

Bonobos posted:

1) I know it is DRM free, but does this mean I do not need to be online to play my games? This is important as many of the games I would like to buy are going onto machines with no internet access.

You download an install file for each game. After that no connection is required.

Phonics
Apr 6, 2009

by XyloJW
Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics and Sacrifice for 20 euros? Yes please.

Man I have a feeling that I'll end up owning every game on this site since they are so affordable.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Bonobos posted:

2) The versions of Fallout on GOG, are they already patched to the latest official versions? and also, are the timing bugs fixed? Specifically the counter as you walk from city to city. I had to download a separate patch for y disc versions.

Any help would be much appreciated.
1. You won't need to be connected to the internet after getting the installation file.
2. All games are supposed to be patched to the latest official version. I know about the world map issue you're talking about (world map travel goes faster than intended if your computer is faster, basically), but I don't know if it's fixed s I don't remember if it was in Fallout 1 or 2. The GoG version of Fallout 1 does not have that issue though.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
I think I love this service already... they gave me Beneath A Steel Sky for free. :swoon:

Edit: And I was obviously NOT aware that this game was freeware.

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jul 5, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

tastychicken posted:

I think I love this service already... they gave me Beneath A Steel Sky for free. :swoon:

You realise the game is freeware, right?