Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you
Yeah I found a voronoi implementation up here:
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=9119&st=84

But as you said, really similar looking chunks. That's pretty awesome that rayfire can run on physX, I like fast sims :P

Pyro can be pretty weird at times, but I now know how to cut the noise out and gradually add detail back in in a controlled fashion. And you can indeed use particles as a fuel source, which is what I'm doing. Pyro even takes into account their velocity which is proving handy.

Haven't played with point scattering at all yet, I must look into it soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratmann
Dec 9, 2006

Heintje posted:

Yeah I found a voronoi implementation up here:
http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showtopic=9119&st=84

But as you said, really similar looking chunks. That's pretty awesome that rayfire can run on physX, I like fast sims :P

Pyro can be pretty weird at times, but I now know how to cut the noise out and gradually add detail back in in a controlled fashion. And you can indeed use particles as a fuel source, which is what I'm doing. Pyro even takes into account their velocity which is proving handy.

Haven't played with point scattering at all yet, I must look into it soon.

Yah, been following that thread since it first came up, looks promising, tho I'm hoping it's turned to a C++ DSO, which would make it a lot faster. But then there's the whole issue of the solver speed...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

EoinCannon posted:

Cheers Sigma
I used Zbrush's projection master to initially project images from 3d.sk into the model. That way the poly count doesn't need to be high, just the texture size. Just using the plane primitive with Zadd turned off you can project an image onto a mesh and then divide the plane and tweak the points to get the image to fit properly. Export the resulting texture then repeat for each angle you want to project.

I may be able to make a video of the process if anyone's interested and if I have time this weekend.

I would be very interested. Not sure if I completely understand you, so a video would help a lot.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't used rayfire myself, and from some of the stuff it has been used on it is obviously amazing at what it does. My main issue with most of these auto shattering systems is that the pieces all end up being fairly uniformly sized and unrecognizable.

That can look great if you are just exploding or shattering something. But if you are doing a slow gradual collapse or slow motion effect I'm not too sure how well most of it will hold up. Some of the stuff I am working on at the moment has a structure collapsing and the client is very anal when it comes to seeing it break up "realistically". It has pretty much ended up with me having to break it up by hand for the first few levels of shatter and only using procedural stuff when I get down to really small bits.

I'm using a custom ODE implementation in Maya for the sims. Which is pretty powerful but is very rough around the edges. I have been trying to convince the powers that be to go to Houdini for this stuff for a long time now. But they don't really want to spend the money on some Houdini master licenses when they already have a ton of maya unlimited and have spent a lot on R&D for some of their custom tools.

What I would really like to see is a pre-shattering tool with some great choreography tools in it. Maybe being able to paint surface maps to define hero pieces and the size of shattered bits. It would be pretty great as my biggest headache right now is when the client wants to make changes to the way something is breaking up it can mean a lot of work.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

sigma 6 posted:

I would be very interested. Not sure if I completely understand you, so a video would help a lot.

Basically the projection master lets you use an image while painting onto a mesh. Once you've "clone brushed (basically)" the image onto the mesh you project it down and you'll be able to rotate around the mesh to see how the image was projected onto it. Very useful when using picture reference to texture something, but you got to make sure the image is lined up correctly or it will look a bit off.

If he makes a video it'll probably explain it better. ZBrush's wiki is also a useful resource for this stuff.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 20, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

ceebee posted:

Basically the projection master lets you use an image while painting onto a mesh. Once you've "clone brushed (basically)" the image onto the mesh you project it down and you'll be able to rotate around the mesh to see how the image was projected onto it. Very useful when using picture reference to texture something, but you got to make sure the image is lined up correctly or it will look a bit off.

If he makes a video it'll probably explain it better. ZBrush's wiki is also a useful resource for this stuff.

I understand the concept. It is just the implementation I am a little hazy on. You can import the image into your doc and sample from that. You can also put an image onto a plane and sample from that. More just curious about his exact workflow. Whatever it is, I am sure spotlight/lightbox will make it obsolete. Can't wait until august. :)

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm just working out the screen capture and how I'm going to edit the footage down a bit. I should be able to post something tonight, time permitting

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
OK here's my tutorial as a quicktime.
http://www.eoinjcannon.com/ZbrushProjectionTute.mov
I didn't have long to make this so it's a bit shoddy, but it should get the point across. Also this is the first time I've ever uploaded anything to my webspace so I have no idea how to make a download link, it's viewable in the browser though so whatever :)

I'm happy to answer any questions as I couldn't find my mic to record voiceover to explain what's going on.

Also now that I've figured out the capturing software I can now quickly make tutorials and so on, so cool!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Thanks!!
That totally answered my question. Wasn't sure if you used the ref image as a background image, or put it on a plane. I can see here you put it on a plane, divided the plane, and then warped the imaged on the plane before projecting it.
Very cool. I suspect "spotlight" will make this a lot easier but we will have to wait until August to find out.

Looks like they built in photoshop like image warping so putting it on a plane won't be necessary to warp and project / clone the image from one surface to another.

I think these links were posted earlier but I felt like they should be posted again considering what we are talking about.

3D morphable model face animation
. . . I am sure this is probably now far outclassed by what image metrics is doing. (Emily)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 21, 2009

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

That's a prank right. How is this possible?!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like there's a whole lot of behind the scenes stuff going on. It's amazing, but I'm not seeing anything that's impossible.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not to mention that video has been around for a longgg time and I haven't seen anything come of it yet.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
Is anyone using the 401 version of modo yet? It looks really good
I am really excited about the direction the software is moving.

http://www.luxology.com/

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

therunningman posted:

Is anyone using the 401 version of modo yet? It looks really good
I am really excited about the direction the software is moving.

http://www.luxology.com/

I was thinking of giving it a try soon. Maybe on some basemeshes for some characters I'm concepting.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Starting working on an underwater oil rig for a wall vinyl in my shark exhibit. I don't think Lightwave on the Mac likes displacement maps. It keeps on crashing.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I just want to say gently caress zBrush's UI.

It is worse than most open-source software, and thats saying something.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Sigma-X posted:

Why all the hate?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

You sound like me when I had to switch over from Maya to Max.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

I love it, you just have to forget every other app you've ever used :)

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Odddzy posted:

Why all the hate?

Mudbox I can dive in and everything I need is like right the gently caress there. zBrush might be the same way but I can't tell because there are 50 million menus and poo poo.

I can't even find where to check my brush settings and figure out why it isn't using pressure sensitivity (or maybe it is, but just not for brush size?)

I have some learning to do :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The brush settings are right across the top row. Or just right-click and it brings up a mini-menu with all those settings.

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

Sigma-X posted:

Mudbox I can dive in and everything I need is like right the gently caress there. zBrush might be the same way but I can't tell because there are 50 million menus and poo poo.

I can't even find where to check my brush settings and figure out why it isn't using pressure sensitivity (or maybe it is, but just not for brush size?)

I have some learning to do :(

same with modo man, I just cant get used to the interface / complicated controls. It's almost as complicated as Mayas interface, which I know how to use now after ages of learning. For a modelling program it seems stupid though. I hope this new modo fixes their lovely interface.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I love Maya's interface. Kind of sucks because most game studios prefer Max these days.

Also, autodesk seems to be shafting Maya as far as features/versions go. I can't really tell if that's a good or bad thing considering Max 2010's awesome (loving horrible) current reputation. If Maya was left to Alias it would probably have destroyed Max in the long run.

loving autodesk, they're like the new Microsoft. They'll keep loving poo poo up until they finally realize what people who use their poo poo actually NEED. Function > Aesthetics

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Messing around some more with this image. I'm stoked because I have permission to use some underwater photos for comps. That's what the diver is from. It's nice to have some really good reference though. I need to get a poo poo ton of fish now.

pistolshit
May 15, 2004

Hinchu posted:

Messing around some more with this image. I'm stoked because I have permission to use some underwater photos for comps. That's what the diver is from. It's nice to have some really good reference though. I need to get a poo poo ton of fish now.

The growth on the rig support seems way too uniform. I don't know if that is final or not, but it looks very artificial.

Would it possible to emulate something more like this:

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

I'm planning on it. I just haven't got that far. I figured I'd just spam the thread and post stuff as I came up with it. I'm messing around with procedurals now in Lightwave. All I gotta say is that it's nice to finally have a node based texturing system in Lightwave.

I'm probably going to add a lot of details to the front of it especially. This is going to be an 11 foot by 28 foot roughly backdrop so there has got to be a decent amount of detail there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BonoMan posted:

Not to mention that video has been around for a longgg time and I haven't seen anything come of it yet.

Well, according to Volker Blantz's site, that presentation was at SIGGRAPH 99, so that video's about 10 years old.

Also, when I first saw that, I could only think of Singular Inversion's FaceGen.

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Here's a little Houdini test, ten square miles of procedurally generated city. Cooks in a couple of minutes from scratch to this size. There's nothing hand-modeled or textured. The spheres are placeholders for stuff like trees. Obviously it could use some more variety and some of the buildings are sort of silly, but hopefully that will be hidden by lighting and materials once I get that far.

Click for big

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I love procedural cities! What methods are you using to drive the generation? My only main crit is the sparse distribution of high-rises. Those are usually grouped together. Can you specify different layouts like radial or grid, things like that?

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

sinc posted:

Here's a little Houdini test, ten square miles of procedurally generated city. Cooks in a couple of minutes from scratch to this size. There's nothing hand-modeled or textured. The spheres are placeholders for stuff like trees. Obviously it could use some more variety and some of the buildings are sort of silly, but hopefully that will be hidden by lighting and materials once I get that far.

Click for big

Nice! I can see the voronoi noise for the street pattern, and something like a cookie to make the smaller streets (like in that tutorial DVD). What did you use for the rooflines and general building shapes. There's some weird looking buildings in there with what seems like some nice and random yet logical footprints. How did you generate that geo?

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Currently it just does whatever it wants, but I'm planning to add some controllability to it if I won't get too lazy. Like painting the average building height and other parameters on a large plane or something.

The method is roughly as follows. It scatters a bunch of points on the area, and forms a Delaunay-ish triangulation between them. It then computes a Voronoi grid from this (it's the dual), giving a cell-like pattern for the major roads. The in-between areas are then sliced with grid patterns a couple of times. Finally the area has been split into a bunch of roads and a bunch of flat polygons representing building shapes. These are then randomly combined with their neighbors and extruded in various ways. Some of the buildings are simple L-systems. The windows come from a procedural displacement shader.

I guess it could support all kinds of different layouts and stuff by slightly altering some of the steps, the Houdini networks keep it pretty flexible. I'm kind of eager to get to rendering now, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Heintje posted:

^^ oo nice shader.

Sculptor guys, check this insanity out:
http://www.mudboxhub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357

The thread seems to have been deleted, can anyone say what it was?

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I believe it was this
http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-mudbox/gallery-finished-artwork/my-recent-project/

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 25, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

sinc posted:

:words:

Badass. Are you following that DVD or did you just feel like doing this for fun?
The windows displacement is especially impressive IMHO.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Hot drat that is drat hot

Also, the cock of the walk cycle was excellent. I was half expecting him to throw up though...

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

sigma 6 posted:

Badass. Are you following that DVD or did you just feel like doing this for fun?
The windows displacement is especially impressive IMHO.

Just for fun. :) I haven't seen the DVD, but I did get some ideas from googling around and also saw some screenshots from it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Sorry, double post.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 25, 2009

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

At least now she kind of looks like a "she".

Click here for the full 995x720 image.

. . . kind of . . . :(

Next time I will make the hair a separate piece.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 25, 2009

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I just checked out Ryan, an amazing animated short film. Amazing stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I just checked out Ryan, an amazing animated short film. Amazing stuff in there.

Also check out The Spine, his latest short. Saw it a few weeks ago -- it's fantastic.