Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian

fritz posted:

The Broken God by David Zindell?

BAM! I could kiss you. It turns out the one that I read though was Book Three in the series called War in Heaven! So even better reason for me to remember. Cheers!

MacDougall fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 30, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morgan_
Dec 12, 2004
I browsed through this thread, but it must have been in an older thread. What is the site that you can pay $3.00 to, and they will try to identify a book?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Morgan_ posted:

I browsed through this thread, but it must have been in an older thread. What is the site that you can pay $3.00 to, and they will try to identify a book?
Abebooks Booksleuth and http://whatsthatbook.com/ will do it for free. http://www.loganberrybooks.com charges $2 a stumper.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mountain Lightning posted:

There is a book that I think is being made into a movie sometime soon that the idea behind it is dropping your life for months and going out to this retreat and finishing a book. I can't remember the name of the book and it's been bugging me because the concept sounds cool but if it sucks lemme know so I can try and borrow it from the library rather than buy it. Thanks!

East is East has a writer's colony in it.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

various posted:

I need help trying to identify a book I think I read about 15 years ago or so. Set in England and definitely English in origin.

Heres what little I can recall.

A man frustrated in both his private and professional life accidentally kills a homeless man, after weeks of worry he realises that he has gotten away with murder so he takes to murdering those who stand in the way of the life he wants to lead.

I remember that he kills someone by poisoning them with Paraquat, and another by rigging the entrance to his attic to give a fatal electric shock. In the end he gets charged for the one murder in the book that he didn't commit.

Help me goons.

That's A Shock to the System by Simon Brett. It was made into a film staring Michael Caine though the film's plot is a bit different.

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

100 Years in Iraq posted:

East is East has a writer's colony in it.

That's not the book but thank you for trying!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I asked this back in February and finally found out what the book is.

Sporadic posted:

I read this back in 2005 and it was a paperback. My aunt gave it to me and she was pretty big into Christianity at the time so it may be considered a religious book in the style of Left Behind.

One of the main clues I remember is that it was marked on the cover it was formally known as (I believe) "Redemption"

It's a story about the apocalypse and one of the main characters is some type of religious person (priest?) who's trying to figure out what's going on.

Here's some random things I remember

1) Starts with a ebola like disease.
2) Pope gets blown up on a boat.
3) The second or third prophecy was red rashes breaking out over most of the people. I think this part took place in Italy.
4) Lots of talk about Iraq being Babylon and a miliant there.
5) Turns out it isn't a religious thing but a secret group that was planning to reduce the population by 94% to protect the Earth.
6) They were using cell sites(?) to release the thing that caused the rashes or maybe the final virus?
7) Something at the end about rainbows from the cell sites? Maybe that was the signal to call off the plan and another twist that maybe God was responsible for us being saved?

- edit spoilered 2-7 just in case

It's Judgement Day (formerly known as Millennium Rising) by Jane Jensen :)

http://www.amazon.com/Judgment-Day-Jane-Jensen/dp/0345430352

http://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Rising-Jane-Jensen/dp/0345430344

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 1, 2009

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
An old SF book, 60s or around there. It starts in a magazine office, National Geographic or Nature or something, and they're trying to find their oldest subscriber; someone notices that there's a guy who's had a subscription for around a hundred years. They think it's probably several generations of people with the same name but go and meet him anyway, and of course it turns out it's just one man who's been getting it all that time, and after that I can't remember a thing about the book. Anyone?

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

Unkempt posted:

An old SF book, 60s or around there. It starts in a magazine office, National Geographic or Nature or something, and they're trying to find their oldest subscriber; someone notices that there's a guy who's had a subscription for around a hundred years. They think it's probably several generations of people with the same name but go and meet him anyway, and of course it turns out it's just one man who's been getting it all that time, and after that I can't remember a thing about the book. Anyone?

Kinda sounds like an A E van Vogt story, but I'm not sure. I'll poke through my van Vogt collection when I get home, I'm pretty sure he had something that was at least similar to this. I'm definitely thinking of a story, but a lot of his shorts got expanded into novels so that's not necessarily a deal-breaker.

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

racecardriver posted:

Man, I've been thinking about what this book could possibly be for so long. I read it as a kid, probably 6 or 7 years ago.

It was vaguely post-apocalyptic (either that, or it was an alternate future). I believe it had something to do with robots, and was marketed as a young adult book, although it was quite dark.

A young kid is taken in by a group of people (they all have shaved heads, from what I remember). I think they also had Matrix-like metal plates/connectors on the back of their heads. I remember a specific scene in which the kid learns about sex. There is a room in these people's base in which people procreate, but they can only do so after they are educated.

This probably isn't the best explanation, but it's really all I can remember. Sound familiar to anyone?

Hey, I think that was Shade's Children. It sounds creepily familiar, except the tracers were in their wrist.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I remember reading a book in my childhood that I got off my dad's bookshelf. It was some kind of pulp fantasy with extremely cliche characters, but what caught my attention was that it had a very detailed and interesting system of magic. Magic was divided into different categories, and it was more than just casting different kinds of spells - it was almost like different sciences. There was one kind of magic that worked on sympathetic changes - I remember that the main character moved a gondola around by moving a little tiny balloon model that was linked to it, and making up for the difference in energy required by sapping it from a flywheel. Another kind involved just making deals with demons. The detail and thought that went into the systems of magic was captivating. Does anyone know what book this was, and were there sequels or anything?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Petr posted:

I remember reading a book in my childhood that I got off my dad's bookshelf. It was some kind of pulp fantasy with extremely cliche characters, but what caught my attention was that it had a very detailed and interesting system of magic. Magic was divided into different categories, and it was more than just casting different kinds of spells - it was almost like different sciences. There was one kind of magic that worked on sympathetic changes - I remember that the main character moved a gondola around by moving a little tiny balloon model that was linked to it, and making up for the difference in energy required by sapping it from a flywheel. Another kind involved just making deals with demons. The detail and thought that went into the systems of magic was captivating. Does anyone know what book this was, and were there sequels or anything?
Maybe Lyndon Hardy's Master of the Five Magics? Synopsis and details of the magics at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Morlock posted:

Maybe Lyndon Hardy's Master of the Five Magics? Synopsis and details of the magics at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_the_Five_Magics

This is it, I remember the gondola scene.

Nagelfar
Mar 21, 2005

Petr posted:

I don't know about sequels but this book is very similar in its approach to the magic: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Engines-Marla-Mason-Book/dp/0553589989

JackNamesThePlanets
Jul 5, 2007
Chic or just a glamorous freak?
Okay, I'm de-lurking in the hopes that I'll get lucky. I read this fantasy book maybe 15 or 20 years ago. The main thing I remember is that the protagonist had to save the world by repairing/visiting something referred to as The Interface, which, according to how I remember it, controlled all of the magic in the world. My brain could just be making that part up. It could also be making up: a flying carpet on the cover (definitely unsure about this bit), and a dragon.

I know that's not a lot of detail, but my brain really gets caught on that Interface part, so maybe someone recognizes it. Googling of course just comes up with video games and programs. I want SO bad to read it again, because it didn't make a lot of sense when I was a kid, but I remember liking it. I need to give it another go but I doubt I'll ever find it.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I have been trying to think of the name of this book and I am going to feel like an idiot when someone tells me within two seconds.

Guy is shipwrecked or something and a hurricane comes through and he ties himself to the tree.

Edit: Found it, The Cay.

ExCruceLeo fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 26, 2009

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I'm trying to pin down which book a subplot that's stuck in my head is from. The book involved a writer, and this subplot concerned a shady publisher or publishing agent who wound up in South America (I think) publishing the writer's stuff as his own. I want to say this was either "Pale Fire" or "The Third Policeman" but neither of those seem right. I'm pretty sure the book had that same kind of tone to it though.

ImJasonH
Apr 2, 2004

RAMALAMADINGDONG!
I vaguely remember a short story (or maybe it was a short film?) that focused around the night-time murders of some people in San Francisco (or somewhere else?). Before they were killed they always heard a loud rhythmic crash coming down the street, and it turned out that someone was dropping a bowling ball down the street from the top of the hill, killing people below.

I may have messed up a lot of the details, but the "bowling ball bouncing down a hilly street and killing people" thing is basically what it boils down to.

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

Archyduke posted:

I'm trying to pin down which book a subplot that's stuck in my head is from. The book involved a writer, and this subplot concerned a shady publisher or publishing agent who wound up in South America (I think) publishing the writer's stuff as his own. I want to say this was either "Pale Fire" or "The Third Policeman" but neither of those seem right. I'm pretty sure the book had that same kind of tone to it though.
Been a while since I read it and all my books are in boxes at the moment, but isn't there something to that effect in the second half of If, on a winter's night, a traveller...?

i saw dasein
Apr 7, 2004

Written postery is worth reading once, and then should be destroyed. Let the dead posters make way for others... ~
You are about to remember that it's Italo Calvino's new novel, If on a winter's night a traveller. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade.

i saw dasein fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 29, 2009

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months
Okay so this is a young adult novel. It starts with a kid leaving for this camp, he's all worked up that he had a fight with his mom before he left and he never got to say bye before she died. At this camp all the kids are harvesting some kind of crop. He tries to leave but they won't let him, the place is sort of cult like. If my memory serves me it ends with a high speed air boat chase.

I can't promise any of this isn't skewed because it's been such a long time since I read it.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I remember a book that described a post-apocalyptic Earth where surviving humans bred giant rabbits and set up large nets to catch swarms of flying beetles. The entire system was set up by a pre-apocalypse scientist who knew the only things that would survive were a handful of humans, grass, rabbits, and bugs. The scientist's son survived in cryogenic sleep, waking up many many years later to discover this new world in which he is seen as a messiah due to the legend of his father's accomplishments. Please help me remember this book!

Odd_Lockset
Jul 1, 2009

who found my frog:frogc00l:

Jack Bandit posted:

Okay so this is a young adult novel. It starts with a kid leaving for this camp, he's all worked up that he had a fight with his mom before he left and he never got to say bye before she died. At this camp all the kids are harvesting some kind of crop. He tries to leave but they won't let him, the place is sort of cult like. If my memory serves me it ends with a high speed air boat chase.

I can't promise any of this isn't skewed because it's been such a long time since I read it.

Is it The White Fox Chronicles by Gary Paulsen? I used to loving love that book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Fox_Chronicles

tuprac
Jun 13, 2008
This used to be my favorite book when I was a child. It's about two kids(teenagers?) who are having the same dreams. I forget what the dreams are exactly, but they are having exactly the same dreams. Somehow they find out they are sharing this experience and team up to do something. I think the word dream may be in the title. Great book from what I remember, I was also a pre-teen when I read it.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

tuprac posted:

This used to be my favorite book when I was a child. It's about two kids(teenagers?) who are having the same dreams. I forget what the dreams are exactly, but they are having exactly the same dreams. Somehow they find out they are sharing this experience and team up to do something. I think the word dream may be in the title. Great book from what I remember, I was also a pre-teen when I read it.
Marianne Dreams by Catherine Storr? Marianne's convalescing in bed and starts dreaming about the house she draws, then her tutor tells her about a boy she's tutoring called Mark, who starts turning up in the dreams too. Then Marianne gets pissed off at Mark, scribbles bars all over the windows and surrounds the house with stones with eyes....

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Odd_Lockset posted:

Is it The White Fox Chronicles by Gary Paulsen? I used to loving love that book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Fox_Chronicles

I don't think that's it but sounds pretty sweet. What's weird is in the back of my mind it always seemed like a Gary Paulsen book but I don't think it was.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuprac posted:

Slight possibility it's "The Girl with the Silver Eyes"

Hubcap Hal
Jun 20, 2003

I'm looking for the name of a series. It's about 5 gods in a fantasy land, and all that I can remembr is that one of the gods is called the Bastard. When he's summoned, there's a lot of noises and smoke. Somebody recommended the series in a fantasy thread. I've tried Google and Wiki to no avail. I wrote down the series name and now I can't find it.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Hubcap Hal posted:

I'm looking for the name of a series. It's about 5 gods in a fantasy land, and all that I can remembr is that one of the gods is called the Bastard. When he's summoned, there's a lot of noises and smoke. Somebody recommended the series in a fantasy thread. I've tried Google and Wiki to no avail. I wrote down the series name and now I can't find it.

Sounds like Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series.

just hit rock bottom
Oct 17, 2008

I'm walking out in a force-ten gale.
This is not exactly the same caliber of book as most people are asking for, but I figure it's worth a try...

I've recently been going through illustrated children's books that I had as a child for artistic inspiration. But there's this one book that I remember very clearly, but that I can't seem to find... it was a version of Beauty and the Beast, and the illustrations were in this beautiful art-nouveau style, but the lines were thick and black and didn't incorporate much (if anything) in the way of facial features. Think Mucha, only simpler and less curvaceous, and patterned like stained glass. I remember the hands especially were very delicate and poised, with thin fingers.

I've Googled and Amazoned to no avail. Everything is either Disney, essays on how fairy tales are all about sex, or harlequin romance novels. Walter Crane's version popped up a lot, but that's not it.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, this has been driving me crazy for about an hour now. After over 50 searches on google and even texting kgb for an answer, I still don't remember the name of this book I read last year.

It was about a psychopathic serial killer with a split personality. He goes about killing women for most the book, I think in London, or it may have been NYC. Anyway, the first girl he kills is in a convience store, and he smashes her head in with a hammer. Then her mom walks in and he kills her, too.

I feel like that should be enough for SOMEONE to identify this book, but if not I can name some more things that happen. The most notable thing that took place was a huge bus bomb, and the killer saves a little girl and is all over the news as a hero.

OH GOD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME.

CrayZHorse
Apr 3, 2002
Glue!
Long shot, but here goes:

Horror story that I remember reading a decade ago or longer. There's a house where some gruesome murders took place that's now a tourist attraction. Inside the house (in the attic/basement, whatever) lives some kind of mutant deformed monster thing that did all the killings. For some reason it wakes up and starts going after people again. I think it woke up because one of it's relatives shows up to tour the house, although he/she doesn't know that they are a relative.

The second one is a Lovecraft type story about a statue that gets delivered to a museum. the statue is hollow and has some ancient god or demon trapped inside. It gets broken open (of course) and the god/demon goes about killing people until our hero puts a stop to it all.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

CrayZHorse posted:

Horror story that I remember reading a decade ago or longer. There's a house where some gruesome murders took place that's now a tourist attraction. Inside the house (in the attic/basement, whatever) lives some kind of mutant deformed monster thing that did all the killings. For some reason it wakes up and starts going after people again. I think it woke up because one of it's relatives shows up to tour the house, although he/she doesn't know that they are a relative.
One of Richard Laymon's Beast House series?

CrayZHorse
Apr 3, 2002
Glue!

Morlock posted:

One of Richard Laymon's Beast House series?

Ah! "The Cellar" sounds a lot like it, and for $0.88 at Amazon it is well worth a try! Many thanks

Pentaxium
Feb 20, 2009
I'm trying to think of the name of a book I read a long time ago. It's about three friends who decide to commit the perfect crime, and they end up blackmailing their teacher. Then one of them wants out or something? They have the teacher toss out a backpack out of a train into the snow or something like that.

The name is something like Letter Perfect or something, but I googled that and came up with nothing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I've been trying to remember the name of a short story I read in high school and I just can't figure it out. I remember that this scientist builds a machine of some sort and points it at some object in the sky which causes the machine to give out this sound or some other emanation that makes people insanely euphoric. So euphoric that they cease eating or doing anything else and basically will just listen to it until they die. Somehow the inventor escapes the machine and goes to congress or some other political body to try to stop the machine from being mass-produced but the person trying to market them turns on the machine and dooms everybody I guess.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I may have posted this in this thread long ago, but let me give it another shot:

I read a short story in high-school that i'm pretty sure was part of a chapter in my lit book about stuff inspired by the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings. In the story, a woman is wandering around a destroyed town, unable to remember anything about the town or who she is. She's desperately looking for a mirror, a puddle, anything that can show her her face - because she thinks that if she sees her face she'll remember who she is. The whole story has a really creepy, dream-like atmosphere. At the end of the story she finds a house that's not entirely destroyed and finds a mirror inside, and when she sees her face she remembers everything, and it ends something like "and who she was, and the name of this town, and why she would never be able to leave it." or something close to that. Any help?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I read a time travel short story out of a collection years ago. It was a comedy involving a physicist who's wife cheated on him, and he tries to go back in time to change it (I think). Eventually he gets pissed off he cant change it he starts doing radical things in the past to change anything in the present, like helping Madame Curie build an atomic bomb, murdering George Washington etc. I've been googling it all morning and can't find anything.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Drunkboxer posted:

I read a time travel short story out of a collection years ago. It was a comedy involving a physicist who's wife cheated on him, and he tries to go back in time to change it (I think). Eventually he gets pissed off he cant change it he starts doing radical things in the past to change anything in the present, like helping Madame Curie build an atomic bomb, murdering George Washington etc. I've been googling it all morning and can't find anything.
It's The Men Who Murdered Mohammed by Alfred Bester.

e: vvv Hooray! See you at the Académie! vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 19, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Morlock posted:

It's The Men Who Murdered Mohammed by Alfred Bester.

So it is. Thanks!