Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Really, the whole 'agents of good try to tell Roy something, but he misses out' thing is probably just another joke about how no one in the party (except Belkar) managed to catch on that V made a pact with evil. (Since it would cause problems if they had.)

What I want to know is what V takes from this whole side-quest. Does he learn from it? Does he learn the right things from it? Or does he just keep along his current (most probably self-destructive) path? Going back for the paladin was a good first step, but, well, I guess we'll see...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
so I suppose in this Castles and Cartoon 3E that's being cooked up, Elmer Fudd would be Lawful Evil since he only shoots animals based on what season it is, whereas the claim-jumping train-robbing Yosemite Sam would be Chaotic Evil.

Is dropping an anvil on a road runner evil if you are hungry and plan on eating it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bison wings posted:

so I suppose in this Castles and Cartoon 3E that's being cooked up, Elmer Fudd would be Lawful Evil since he only shoots animals based on what season it is, whereas the claim-jumping train-robbing Yosemite Sam would be Chaotic Evil.

Is dropping an anvil on a road runner evil if you are hungry and plan on eating it?
Being an obligate carnivore in a world where all the animals are sentient must be rough. I'll bet they make a roleplaying game about angsting over it!

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

bison wings posted:

Both of them break the speed limit every single day so I don't think coyote is lawful, he's probably a true neutral with Road Runner being neutral good.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Halloween Jack posted:

Being an obligate carnivore in a world where all the animals are sentient must be rough. I'll bet they make a roleplaying game about angsting over it!

Coyote: The Tinkering, from White Rabbit Games.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Bobulus posted:

Really, the whole 'agents of good try to tell Roy something, but he misses out' thing is probably just another joke about how no one in the party (except Belkar) managed to catch on that V made a pact with evil. (Since it would cause problems if they had.)

What I want to know is what V takes from this whole side-quest. Does he learn from it? Does he learn the right things from it? Or does he just keep along his current (most probably self-destructive) path? Going back for the paladin was a good first step, but, well, I guess we'll see...
Can't it be both?

V learned the hard way he can't go it alone without the others. Even the lich's success came from the fact all his minions helped out, from the hobbo warning him about the psylactery to the mind fog Tsukiko cast to Redcloak pointing out the soul-splicing (and the traps V ran into in the first place)

On the other hand, V has signed a pact and is now a ticking time bomb. A bomb I don't expect to see go off for a long time, but at a plot-critical moment. It will be interesting to see in which roundabout way Belkar will be tied to V's death, but considering that-barring shennanigans-the halfling's time is also limited perhaps they'll pop V earlier than I expected.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bell_ posted:

It will be interesting to see in which roundabout way Belkar will be tied to V's death, but considering that-barring shennanigans-the halfling's time is also limited perhaps they'll pop V earlier than I expected.

Wait, what? Didn't Belkar fulfill that when he killed the oracle? It was an 'or' question, not an 'and'.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Bell_ posted:

V learned the hard way he can't go it alone without the others.
He's actually learned this just because someone demonstrated it to her? I'm not convinced.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

zeal posted:

Coyote: The Tinkering, from White Wabbit Games.

Fixed. :v:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

:siren:Roy is back!:siren:

...so where'd the towel/blanket come from?

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 25, 2009

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

...so where'd the towel/blanket come from?
Looks like V's cloak.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

Dirtanium posted:

Looks like V's cloak.

Confirmed. Haven't had a good view of it for a few strips, and it would have been more funny if V had been flipped over or some other such indignity.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

That's a pretty big word for Belkar.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

I do like the callback to Elan's invisibility spell.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
It took 222 strips, just a hair under 1/3 of the comic's run so far, to get roy resurrected. I wonder if we'll be getting a book ending page soon.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Manyorcas posted:

It took 222 strips, just a hair under 1/3 of the comic's run so far, to get roy resurrected. I wonder if we'll be getting a book ending page soon.

From how fast things are moving I get the feeling that the author knew that people were getting tired of "Elan's wacky side quest adventures with no greater relevance to the plot" and decided to get the strip moving again.

Although maybe he made the comics long and pointless intentionally so we would better understand Vaarsuvius' motives in wanting to just get everything over with?

I've got to say I love that they just have V laying on the ground there in the foreground.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Seems like Roy gets to remember his afterlife adventures, since he was still in "fly around to move" mode. Guess the DM didn't want to have to agrue over what's out of character knowledge and what isn't.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Mylan posted:

Seems like Roy gets to remember his afterlife adventures, since he was still in "fly around to move" mode. Guess the DM didn't want to have to agrue over what's out of character knowledge and what isn't.

It did happen to the character, so it's not out of character. Besides, making one of the main PC's fall down on his face is hilarious.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Or maybe he'll remember it like a dream; vividly at first, but fading quickly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Thank goodness neither Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson played D&D. At least the plot will start moving along now.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

Calaveron posted:

Thank goodness neither Farrah Fawcett or Michael Jackson played D&D. At least the plot will start moving along now.

I've forgotten what the direction was, in the first place. The plot of the last 200 strips has been "Get OOTS back together," and now that's happened (plus a few extras). Do they know specifically where they're going next or do they have to guess which gate is next?

Iggy Johnson
Mar 11, 2007

It doesn't work if you beg.

Z.S. Ghost posted:

I've forgotten what the direction was, in the first place. The plot of the last 200 strips has been "Get OOTS back together," and now that's happened (plus a few extras). Do they know specifically where they're going next or do they have to guess which gate is next?

Well, doesn't Ray know that Xykon's going to be going to Girard's Gate, I think it was, based on his visit with the Oracle? So, I'm guessing they'll be regrouping and mounting an adventure that a-way.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
from the Oracle he could assume that Girard is the way to go but O'Chul is there now too and he probably knows plenty. they ought to be able to get moving pretty quick, assuming there's not a doesn't pages of V feeling lovely

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Calaveron posted:

Well according to wikipedia those strips were thoughtful and well thought out and durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I suppose I should have expected Gary Gygax' wikipedia entry to be bookended by stupid poo poo but still.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
What exactly does V have to feel lovely about? She/he has just succeeded in frustrating Xykon's plans far more than any of Elan or Haley's grabastic sidequest action has. And the only party member with any knowledge of the soul thingy is the one who actually approves of it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Liberal_L33t posted:

the only party member with any knowledge of the soul thingy is the one who actually approves of it.

Are you trying to put forth that V shouldn't feel bad about time-sharing his soul to the lower planes in exchange for largely squandered temporal power because nobody else knows about it?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Does O'Chul know about the soul splice? He seemed to be in earshot of the whole thing.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cabbit posted:

Are you trying to put forth that V shouldn't feel bad about time-sharing his soul to the lower planes in exchange for largely squandered temporal power because nobody else knows about it?

It was only for like fifteen minutes, he shouldn't care about it much at all (until he actually has to do the work and realizes how terrible it is or until he becomes aware of his alignment changes.)

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 27, 2009

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Cabbit posted:

He saved his family, helped the Azurites colonize, hosed up Xykon's plans (inadvertently) and killed every black dragon in the world.

For good or ill, those last three are pretty heavy and the first was his only reason for doing so in the first place.

Liberal_L33t
Apr 9, 2005

by WE B Boo-ourgeois
Also, the 'decapitation and teleportation' routine would not have worked, so if V hadn't leased his/her soul, her/his family would be dead. Deader than dead, even, due to the soul bind.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

He saved his family, helped the Azurites colonize, hosed up Xykon's plans (inadvertently) and killed every black dragon in the world.

For good or ill, those last three are pretty heavy and the first was his only reason for doing so in the first place.

A.) He didn't kill every black dragon, he eliminated one quarter of them.
B.) Considering the scale and scope of his available power, yeah, he squandered them. If you've got 60+ caster levels, along with a variety of epic spell slots at your disposal, and all your can accomplish is killing one dragon, blowing some time on petty revenge, getting your rear end handed to you by a lich, and doing something a map, a strong wind, and some time could accomplish then you are seriously under-performing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oh, god, shut up about alignments.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

:confused: I'm.. I'm not talking about alignments.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cabbit posted:

:confused: I'm.. I'm not talking about alignments.

Clearly by doing so you're demonstrating a neutral good alignment (no strong bias regarding order, thinking of the community by not rambling on about whatever) and in doing so actually are discussing alignments! It's all very meta.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Cliff Racer posted:

It was only for like fifteen minutes, he shouldn't care about it much at all (until he actually has to do the work and realizes how terrible it is or until he becomes aware of his alignment changes.)

Not to mention that V assumes that the twenty minutes that they have his soul will occur after he dies, which the fiends neither confirmed, nor denied.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

I can't think of a reason why the fiends would tell V about the assumption he made unless it is indeed the correct one, and they want him to believe that they can sieze his living soul at any time and force his body to perform terrible acts unless he does what they tell him.

(Well, I suppose gloating works as a reason, but much better to use those minutes against a V who doesn't think they're coming until after he's dead, than one who might try some limiting contingencies, or might run off to someplace where where he thinks he can be harmless)

Geshtal
Nov 8, 2006

So that's the post you've decided to go with, is it?

maltesh posted:

Not to mention that V assumes that the twenty minutes that they have his soul will occur after he dies, which the fiends neither confirmed, nor denied.

Assuming they can take him over while alive, is there any reason to assume the twenty minutes have to be consecutive? Those twenty minutes could really be stretched out if they only used it up a few key actions at a time.

Geshtal fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 27, 2009

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Geshtal posted:

Assuming they can take hi over while alive, is there any reason to assume the twenty minutes have to be consecutive? Those twenty minutes could really be stretched out if they only used it up a few key actions at a time.

Or just keep using that Time Stop. 20 minutes for each fiend, 6 second increments... that's a good 600 hijacks right there.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Honestly, I don't think they'll need V for very long. I don't see them wanting any contact with V either until they need him, since it's best for them if V doesn't anticipate his contract being fulfilled for a while.

Bell_ fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 27, 2009

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Eventually they'll come in contact with a working gate/snarl, and twenty minutes is plenty for them to do what they want with it.

Also, isn't it twenty minutes each?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

HKR posted:

Eventually they'll come in contact with a working gate/snarl, and twenty minutes is plenty for them to do what they want with it.

Also, isn't it twenty minutes each?

Each gets V's soul for a period equal to the duration of their respective splice. So the chaotic evil guy won't get him for very long, since the splice to the necromancer ended quite quickly. The other two get him for somewhere around 10-20 minutes (probably).