Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Beebubbles posted:

I'm having some trouble getting the lab to poop outside.

Take the lab on a short little jog around the block or play a game of fetch in the backyard. Running around tends to get things moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

drat Bananas posted:

Gee thanks for finding all those links and then simply telling me they do in fact exist! :rolleyes:

Oddly, googling "shock collar dangers" gives slightly better results than "shock collar dangerous" so I'll be on my way now. Thanks for your "help."

Let me Google that for you :rolleyes:

Is that better?

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Beebubbles posted:

I'm thinking of keeping all four dogs outside after I feed and water them in the morning and then letting them inside in the evening. It would give the lab plenty of time to drop one and all of them should be able to get some exercise. There's water and plenty of shade and shelter in the backyard, which is also fully-fenced. My concerns are the dachshunds digging out though they have some designated spots for that but I know it's their nature to dig anyway. And I'm worried about general nonsense like the neighbors getting mad about it.

Any advice? Is this reasonably good idea?

It's a terrible idea, especially if these dogs are not normally left out. They will almost certainly get out or get themselves into trouble.

Visiting twice a day is NOT enough for dogs, not even adult dogs. They should be getting out every 8 hours to pee, not every 12. He's pooping inside because he can't hold it, not because he doesn't want to go outside.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
Everytime there's a thunderstorm (like right now) my beagle, named Bert, gets really inconsolably frightened. He'll go hide in the back of a closet while panting and shaking really hard. I tried getting him accustomed to the noise through training, but even on TV the sounds frighten him real bad. Does anyone have any suggestions? It hurts my heart to see my poor pup in such a state. I've had other dogs that'd get frightened, but never as bad as him.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

tse1618 posted:

Let me Google that for you :rolleyes:

Is that better?

No, considering I was asking for recommendations. I really don't think it was an unfair request. Since google gives you everything from geocities furmommy sites to PETA to news stories about people using them on their children, I was hoping someone knew a reputable organization of vets or behaviorists that had recently published an article. I asked a small question in the small question megathread, my bad.

Cute site though.

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ceridwen posted:

It's a terrible idea, especially if these dogs are not normally left out. They will almost certainly get out or get themselves into trouble.

Visiting twice a day is NOT enough for dogs, not even adult dogs. They should be getting out every 8 hours to pee, not every 12. He's pooping inside because he can't hold it, not because he doesn't want to go outside.

The dogs usually get to walk in and out of the house, which unfortunately is locked right now by the owners. I get the feeling watching their behavior that they aren't liking this twice-a-day schedule.

On top of all this I have to drive about half an hour to get to their house. I'm getting a strong feeling that agreeing to be the sitter was a bad idea. :(

typhus fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 24, 2009

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

drat Bananas posted:

No, considering I was asking for recommendations. I really don't think it was an unfair request. Since google gives you everything from geocities furmommy sites to PETA to news stories about people using them on their children, I was hoping someone knew a reputable organization of vets or behaviorists that had recently published an article. I asked a small question in the small question megathread, my bad.

Cute site though.

Sorry, that was rude of me. Crooked Booty probably just googled it, saw there were websites, and didn't check them out closely enough to give you any real recommendations. Just to tell you that there were websites out there you could find with a quick google search.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

typhus posted:

The dogs usually get to walk in and out of the house, which unfortunately is locked right now by the owners. I get the feeling watching their behavior that they aren't liking this twice-a-day schedule.

On top of all this I have to drive about half an hour to get to their house. I'm getting a strong feeling that agreeing to be the sitter was a bad idea. :(

The owners are assholes then, as they clearly did not even remotely consider the dogs needs when setting up to have you petsit. Unfortunately you're stuck, and if you leave them out in the yard very bad things are quite likely to happen.

Who the gently caress locks the petsitter out of the house?

Regardless, I hate to say it, but you really need to be going over there 3 times a day, not matter how long the drive is. And then give the owners a piece of your mind when they get back.

Beebubbles
Dec 19, 2007

Brush yo' teef.

Ceridwen posted:

The owners are assholes then, as they clearly did not even remotely consider the dogs needs when setting up to have you petsit. Unfortunately you're stuck, and if you leave them out in the yard very bad things are quite likely to happen.

Who the gently caress locks the petsitter out of the house?

Regardless, I hate to say it, but you really need to be going over there 3 times a day, not matter how long the drive is. And then give the owners a piece of your mind when they get back.

They're a really nice, well-off couple who have the dachshunds because their daughter couldn't care for them. The sense I got was that they were so pleased to have someone other than family sit so they could have a vacation. I've sat multiple dogs before but I feel like I'm way over my head with this one.

The lab is the sweetest old-man dog but you can see that his hunting days are long gone. He'll follow me around everywhere I go when I'm there, so I think he's just too excited to see someone who likes him. Dachshunds just hobble around in a group, humping each other and trying to steal the lab's food.

And of course a job I've been eager to hear from calls and they want me to start right away. The company I work for as a sitter can probably find an alternate for me but I'm seriously stuck until they find one.

This pet-sitting assignment has been one big :smith: unfortunately.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Beebubbles posted:

They're a really nice, well-off couple who have the dachshunds because their daughter couldn't care for them. The sense I got was that they were so pleased to have someone other than family sit so they could have a vacation. I've sat multiple dogs before but I feel like I'm way over my head with this one.

The lab is the sweetest old-man dog but you can see that his hunting days are long gone. He'll follow me around everywhere I go when I'm there, so I think he's just too excited to see someone who likes him. Dachshunds just hobble around in a group, humping each other and trying to steal the lab's food.

And of course a job I've been eager to hear from calls and they want me to start right away. The company I work for as a sitter can probably find an alternate for me but I'm seriously stuck until they find one.

This pet-sitting assignment has been one big :smith: unfortunately.

Wait. You're a 'professional' hired pet sitter, and considering going against the owners wishes? That seems messed up.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
there's a cute little stray kitten outside of my apartment that looks somewhat sick, is fairly skinny, and is pretty dirty. i'm just a poor college student and i don't know what to do, what would you guys do in my situation? i've stopped to pet it too many times and i want the cat, but like i said i'm just a poor student :(

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

ukrainius maximus posted:

there's a cute little stray kitten outside of my apartment that looks somewhat sick, is fairly skinny, and is pretty dirty. i'm just a poor college student and i don't know what to do, what would you guys do in my situation? i've stopped to pet it too many times and i want the cat, but like i said i'm just a poor student :(

Since you are a poor college student, you cannot afford a pet. It is also kitten season, so no rescue is going to want to take the poor thing in.

You should volunteer your time (since you have no money) to the rescue/shelter of your choice. You may not be able to save this particular kitten, but if you volunteer you can help save 10s to 1000s of others just like it.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

ukrainius maximus posted:

Can you afford a bag of cat food? In what way does it look sick other than being skinny? Lots of cities have low cost veterinary care available to some extent, and many cities have low cost or even free spay/neuter programs. Rescues and shelters are mostly full due to kitten season, but it still doesn't hurt to make some phone calls. You can look up rescues/shelters in your area at petfinder.com. Even if they can't take the cat, they may be able to point you in the direction of other resources in your area. You could also attempt to look for a home for the kitten yourself via craigslist, petfinder, or a courtesy listing on a rescue's website.

If you can't afford to keep it and can't find a rescue, I would at least look into finding a low cost spay/neuter for the kitten (even if you have to put it outside afterwards) so that the kitten doesn't grow up to make more homeless, skinny kittens. :(

Mensur
Aug 1, 2007

EnGAYge!

Mensur fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 14, 2013

Chakattack!
May 23, 2004
95% Cheesecake
Big thread, so I apologise if I've missed a question like this somewhere along the line!

Recently I've been reading a lot about the genetic disorders inherited in a lot of pure-bred dogs and was wondering what happens with those problems in mixed-breed puppies? This was sparked by a friend of my sister who just acquired a very cute pug/cavalier charles spaniel puppy (I know "designer" breeds are frowned upon and usually BYB). After reading some of the (extensive!) problems both these breeds can suffer from - syringomyelia in the cavalier in particular - it made me curious as to what will happen to this puppy when he grows up. Do some breed-specific problems "cancel out" as it were when you breed with another type of dog? Or do cross-bred puppies inherit a whole heap of genetic problems (taken for granted the dog is badly bred with no concern for genetic health testing, etc)?

This is merely a "just curious" question but would be grateful to hear if there is an answer, thanks in advance. :)

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Chakattack! posted:

Big thread, so I apologise if I've missed a question like this somewhere along the line!

Recently I've been reading a lot about the genetic disorders inherited in a lot of pure-bred dogs and was wondering what happens with those problems in mixed-breed puppies? This was sparked by a friend of my sister who just acquired a very cute pug/cavalier charles spaniel puppy (I know "designer" breeds are frowned upon and usually BYB). After reading some of the (extensive!) problems both these breeds can suffer from - syringomyelia in the cavalier in particular - it made me curious as to what will happen to this puppy when he grows up. Do some breed-specific problems "cancel out" as it were when you breed with another type of dog? Or do cross-bred puppies inherit a whole heap of genetic problems (taken for granted the dog is badly bred with no concern for genetic health testing, etc)?

This is merely a "just curious" question but would be grateful to hear if there is an answer, thanks in advance. :)

Some of the breed-specific genetic issues are going to be less likely to occur in the mixed breed offspring, as you'd expect. However, the genetics behind most canine health problems isn't well understood, so despite the myth of hybrid vigor in mixed breeds, you're probably not much better off. There are plenty of genetically-influenced problems that are common in many breeds. For example, small dogs are prone to luxating patellas, and both Pugs and CKC Spaniels are brachycephalic on top of that. With many breeds, you also have to worry about hip dysplasia. CKC Spaniels tend to have a relatively low incidence of it, but Pugs have a very high incidence. Its a crapshoot, but hopefully the Pug parent had good hips. A huge problem with most designer dog breeders is that they have low-quality breeding stock, and thus you're probably at higher risk of getting a dog with chronic and/or genetic health problems than one from a breeder who breeds from the healthiest, soundest stock they can find.

I hope your friend sets up a veterinary savings account for the dog, they're probably going to need it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So now that my tank is finished cycling, I'm going to take the water to be tested and buy some fish sometime soon. We're aiming for tetras, and maybe a small pleco or algae eater.

My question is this: I have a 10 gallon tank. How many tetras would be a reasonable amount to keep in a 10 gallon? And is a pleco even a good idea, or would even the small ones get too big? Would an algae eater or two be better? I'm still researching.

Edit: The kind of tetras we were considering were some neons, skirts, diamonds, and maybe another kind.

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 26, 2009

lionskull
Jul 12, 2006

PumpkinPirate posted:

So, I am thinking about joining the Army! My question is, has anyone ever had to deal with moving that much plus moving your pets? Would it stress them out enough to where I would need to re-home them? Right now I own a French lop, two Boston Terriers, a Green Cheek Conure, Beta fish, a Dwarf hamster, and two horses. I will be married and an officer if that helps; they have better housing than others.

I would think your dogs, fish and hamsters wouldn't care, your conure might quiet down for a few months (oh god my environment changed better shut up predators might be around), and not sure about bunnies and horses. I don't actually have that experience so I'll bump. Also I may be thinking about someone else but didn't you have an eclectus too?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

PumpkinPirate, you may also have to deal with the fact that some postings simply will not allow you to take pets. Depends on what branch and specialty you are, of course. My husband was Air Force and had to leave his cat behind with his parents for his first few rotations (Okinawa, Korea), and it wound up dying of old age before he had a chance to get it back. The cat he got while stationed in Denver, however, is still with us, as he was able to take him along to all his domestic assignments.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

My darling cat Dmitri just recently had some "coughing" fits. It's like coughing, but he doesn't open his mouth and instead wheezes really loudly through his nose. It lasts about 30 seconds. Does anyone know what this might be/whether a vet appt is warranted? I should also mention that this is only the second time this happened, last time was a week or more ago.

Zombiesinmyshower!
Nov 14, 2006

by angerbotSD

nonanone posted:

My darling cat Dmitri just recently had some "coughing" fits. It's like coughing, but he doesn't open his mouth and instead wheezes really loudly through his nose. It lasts about 30 seconds. Does anyone know what this might be/whether a vet appt is warranted? I should also mention that this is only the second time this happened, last time was a week or more ago.

Can cats reverse sneeze? Does anyone know this? I don't know if it is only dogs that get reverse sneezes, but if cats can do it as well that sounds kind of like it.

Zombiesinmyshower! fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jun 26, 2009

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

Can cats reverse sneeze? Does anyone know this? I don't know if it is only dogs that get reverse sneezes, but if cats can do it as well that sounds kind of like it.

Hey thanks I've never heard of that, but I looked it up some videos and it looks right. Apparently it's less common in cats, but it's possible. However, I'll keep an eye on it and take him in if it happens more often, in case it's asthma. It may have something to do with his squashed face, he's a little :downs:

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

Skizzles posted:

So now that my tank is finished cycling, I'm going to take the water to be tested and buy some fish sometime soon. We're aiming for tetras, and maybe a small pleco or algae eater.

My question is this: I have a 10 gallon tank. How many tetras would be a reasonable amount to keep in a 10 gallon? And is a pleco even a good idea, or would even the small ones get too big? Would an algae eater or two be better? I'm still researching.

Edit: The kind of tetras we were considering were some neons, skirts, diamonds, and maybe another kind.

Unless you're planning on moving up to a bigger tank soon do NOT get a pleco. Mine is 12+ years old, 13+ inches and still growing. The general rule of thumb is one gallon per inch of fish (at full growth of the fish unless you're getting/have a bigger tank), and really more is recommended.

I'd say if it's something small like neons, get maybe 4-5. Not sure about the algae eaters since it's been years since I had them.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
An otocinclus (oto cat) would be the best algae eater for a 10 gallon. But of course they do best in groups, so you want at least 3 of them. I'd say 3 otos and 4 tetras is a well stocked (almost over stocked) 10 gallon tank.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

Zombiesinmyshower! posted:

Yep, they can. Cats can't do the "ahem" throat-clearing thing, so if their throats are irritated or full of phlegm, they'll do a spasm-y sort of cough/wheeze. It's probably just allergies or something, but if it starts happening regularly or sounds like he's full of mucus, I'd go to the vet.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Hady posted:

Unless you're planning on moving up to a bigger tank soon do NOT get a pleco. Mine is 12+ years old, 13+ inches and still growing. The general rule of thumb is one gallon per inch of fish (at full growth of the fish unless you're getting/have a bigger tank), and really more is recommended.

I'd say if it's something small like neons, get maybe 4-5. Not sure about the algae eaters since it's been years since I had them.

Meow Cadet posted:

An otocinclus (oto cat) would be the best algae eater for a 10 gallon. But of course they do best in groups, so you want at least 3 of them. I'd say 3 otos and 4 tetras is a well stocked (almost over stocked) 10 gallon tank.

Awesome, thanks. Should they all be the same type of tetras or can I perhaps get like, two neons and two skirts?

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 27, 2009

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
Tetras do best in groups of their own kind. I'd get 4 tetras of one type and 3 otos like Meow Cadet said.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Crooked Booty posted:

Yep, they can. Cats can't do the "ahem" throat-clearing thing, so if their throats are irritated or full of phlegm, they'll do a spasm-y sort of cough/wheeze. It's probably just allergies or something, but if it starts happening regularly or sounds like he's full of mucus, I'd go to the vet.

Christ it scared the crap out of me the first time my cat did this. She paired it with rolling around on the floor. I thought she was possessed.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008
One of my cats loves to make the most distressed-sounding whimper-howls in the middle of the night. There's nothing like trying to sleep and hearing "meh...meeh....mehhrooooowwwwwwff?" at the opposite side of the house. The rare times I get up and check on her she just gives me a "WHAT WAS THAT...oh...it was me, nevermind. While you're here how about you feed me, woman?" kind of look.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
Does anyone have any tips for a constipated dog? My dachshund has been having some constipation lately, and I really don't like giving her the Lactolose the vet prescribed all the time. Is there anything I can add to her food to encourage things to move along?

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Skizzles posted:

Besides oto cats, you could also try cory cats. They get somewhat larger, but are hardier and in my opinion more interesting to watch than oto cats. They come in many different colors: in my tank I have emerald greens, albinos, and juliis. The panda ones are really cute. They also need to be in schools like the otos. They prefer to be in schools of the same color, but they'll end up congregating together if you get different colors.

Hady
Jun 28, 2008

tse1618 posted:

Besides oto cats, you could also try cory cats. They get somewhat larger, but are hardier and in my opinion more interesting to watch than oto cats. They come in many different colors: in my tank I have emerald greens, albinos, and juliis. The panda ones are really cute. They also need to be in schools like the otos. They prefer to be in schools of the same color, but they'll end up congregating together if you get different colors.

Cory cats are adorable, but I'd stick to a bigger tank for them since they do best in groups of 6 or more and get about an inch long. I agree though, the panda ones are totally cute. Unfortunately I haven't had any luck keeping the pandas alive, so we've stuck with bronze instead.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Does anyone have any tips for a constipated dog? My dachshund has been having some constipation lately, and I really don't like giving her the Lactolose the vet prescribed all the time. Is there anything I can add to her food to encourage things to move along?

The standard recommendation here is plain canned pumpkin.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

RazorBunny posted:

The standard recommendation here is plain canned pumpkin.

I thought that was what I had read, but then I wasn't sure if it was for diarrhea, apparently my one aunt used a tablespoon of canned pumpkin daily with a dog who had major diarrhea problems to good end.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

It's pretty much pure dietary fiber, so it'll firm up loose stools or help move things along.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

My boyfriend and I are moving in together and we'd like to get a cat. We'll be moving in the middle of August most likely. However, we're both students so almost right after we get settled in, school would be starting and we won't have as much time as we do during the summer to spend getting to know a new cat. Right now we both work during the day but evenings and weekends are free more or less. However, we'd be moving right away again in a month or so. Would it be better/less traumatic for the cat to get it soon and move it in a month, or to wait until we move to the new apartment and get it, even though we might not have as much free time with it?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I strongly advise you to wait at least a year or so after moving in with each other to get a pet. Better yet, after you graduate college and have stable living conditions. A cat is a 20 year commitment.

But, if you MUST get one now, get an older (2+ years) cat. It will have a set personality, and will be almost out of the rear end in a top hat teen phase. If you do this, wait until after you move. It will take the cat about a month to settle in, and then you would uproot its world again.

If you MUST get a kitten (please don't) then you MUST get at least 2 of them. Since you are students, I'm guessing you value your sleep. Kittens won't let you do this. Kittens also like to puke on printed term papers, and step all over the keyboard and delete stuff when you type. If you do end up with kittens, they would adjust faster to the additional move, but again it's better to wait.

I understand that you would have more time sooner, but it will quickly go away, and that's just one more thing for the cat to get used to. Cats like predictability, not willy nilly I'm home all the time, to I'm not all the time.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Meow Cadet posted:

I strongly advise you to wait at least a year or so after moving in with each other to get a pet. Better yet, after you graduate college and have stable living conditions. A cat is a 20 year commitment.

But, if you MUST get one now, get an older (2+ years) cat. It will have a set personality, and will be almost out of the rear end in a top hat teen phase. If you do this, wait until after you move. It will take the cat about a month to settle in, and then you would uproot its world again.

If you MUST get a kitten (please don't) then you MUST get at least 2 of them. Since you are students, I'm guessing you value your sleep. Kittens won't let you do this. Kittens also like to puke on printed term papers, and step all over the keyboard and delete stuff when you type. If you do end up with kittens, they would adjust faster to the additional move, but again it's better to wait.

I understand that you would have more time sooner, but it will quickly go away, and that's just one more thing for the cat to get used to. Cats like predictability, not willy nilly I'm home all the time, to I'm not all the time.

I agree with this. Even if you get an older cat I still recommend getting a bonded pair form the shelter or two of them so they can have a buddy while you two are gone at work during the day. Cats always do better in pairs. Also work out with your boyfriend what will happen to them if you two break up. Who will take them (please don't separate them, especially if they are bonded pair) etc. I know everyone likes to think that love will last forever but you guys are young and not in the most stable situation or points in your lives so the responsible thing to do is talk about it. Also, what are you plans for after school? You realize that you will forever have to find apartments that are pet friendly with at least a $200 or so pet deposit? Will you be able to do that right out of college?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

KilGrey posted:

Cats always do better in pairs.
Not always. We adopted 2 6-week old kittens from the same litter from the shelter, and gradually over the years they just started despising each other. And not the "I guess I'll tolerate you, but don't get too near me" kind. The male was a hissing yowling puffed up demon cat attacking the poo poo out of his complete pushover sister. It got so bad that he would back her into a cabinet and would not let her leave or he'd attack her. :( We ended up having to separate them on opposite ends of the house, after all of the vet's checkups and suggestions didn't work.

Not to say that getting 2 cats is bad! Just know that sometimes it doesn't work out... As soon as I'm in a new pets-allowed apartment my pushover girl is coming with me. (Actually I've been meaning to talk to my roommates, explaining the circumstances back home, and see if they'd mind me bringing her in anyway...) Being shut off in a couple connected bedrooms/bathrooms is no way to live :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Thanks guys, you bring up good points. I admit that if someone else wrote my post I'd be wary too. The situation is less-than-ideal of course but we are committed to making sure the cat is well-cared for. The main obstacle will be that we're going to go to grad school after undergrad but he is going to work for awhile first so we will have some savings built up. I've been intending to have pets as soon as I felt I was able so I am more than willing to take the extra time and effort to find pet-friendly housing after our lease is up. At least in this town, it hasn't been very difficult to find cat-friendly places. A lot of places don't even charge extra for them. I honestly don't really even understand the people that give up their cats when they move, is it really that hard in some cities to find cat-friendly rentals?

I was curious about getting two cats . . . We were thinking one for now since the apartment we want isn't terribly big, but we'd rather have two happy ones than one lonely one so we'd consider it if we get one and he/she seems lonely or bored. Does the one/two thing just depend on the cat? The shelters around here also have cats that are listed as wanting to live alone so we could do that too, although we'd rather not close off the option of getting more pets down the road.