Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

RizieN posted:

I've got that, but only really used it on vacation, long flights and train rides and things. really fun though, wonder how long til we see live performances with iPhones...

actually, come to think of it, a guy I met in a bar makes music with his Nintendo DS, i have no idea what it controls/does, but I went one of his shows and he had like 2 midi keyboards, a mac, and his DS, and it looked like he was taking a break from the beats to play some nintendo, haha

There is a Korg DS-10 soft synth. Pretty cool little synth

http://korgds10synthesizer.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
My cat broke the tonearm on one of my 1200s. What's the cheapest way to get it replaced?

Where can I get dustcovers?

Should I buy a Korg EMX1 for $250 from my friend(I'm pretty sure the answer to that is YES)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

ashgromnies posted:

My cat broke the tonearm on one of my 1200s. What's the cheapest way to get it replaced?

Where can I get dustcovers?

Should I buy a Korg EMX1 for $250 from my friend(I'm pretty sure the answer to that is YES)

First result is here: http://www.planetdj.com/i--SL-12-TONEARM-B
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd6_LZxDdcg

There's some vinyl covers on Amazon, I'm not sure if the MK2's and MK5's use the same kind though, because of the latch on the MK2's.

Supervillin
Feb 6, 2005

Pillbug

ashgromnies posted:

Absolutely.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Supervillin posted:

Absolutely.

Get it mano.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Any users of Audiomulch? I watched a video of girl talk using adobe audition with it for clip DJing.

I've been using the demo of Ableton Live Suite 8 so far and I like it. However I'm not sure which route I want to go since I plan on using it mostly to clip DJ.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
This is a really informative thread! I've browsed it, but 63 pages is a lot - if a question like this has already come up then please forgive me.

I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands and have been offered a M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller for $50 -- which is about all I can afford right now. If I'm just looking to "mess around," is this enough hardware for me? I'm using a Sony VAIO with a dual 2ghz CPU.

I know how to use a keyboard and can play piano. I'm just looking for something that will let me plunk in a few notes, adjust the way they sound, and then go back and add to it -- musical doodling, if you will. I've already got Audacity and wouldn't mind trying out the demos of a program or two, but there are enough programs with lists of pros and cons that I feel a little overwhelmed trying to decide which features and options I want.

Edit: I'm dualbooting Windows 7 and Ubuntu, if that makes a difference.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Captain Queernabs posted:

I suddenly have a lot of free time on my hands and have been offered a M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller for $50 -- which is about all I can afford right now. If I'm just looking to "mess around," is this enough hardware for me? I'm using a Sony VAIO with a dual 2ghz CPU.
Yeah, I'd say so. There are some really amazing free softsynths for you to play with.

quote:

I've already got Audacity and wouldn't mind trying out the demos of a program or two, but there are enough programs with lists of pros and cons that I feel a little overwhelmed trying to decide which features and options I want.

Audacity can't do much music-wise. Try the demos/free versions of Ableton Live, FL Studio etc. They're surprisingly full-featured for being demos, but usually you can't save project files (although you can export audio).

Linux is essentially useless for making music, as far as I know.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Computer Jones posted:

Yeah, I'd say so. There are some really amazing free softsynths for you to play with.

Audacity can't do much music-wise. Try the demos/free versions of Ableton Live, FL Studio etc. They're surprisingly full-featured for being demos, but usually you can't save project files (although you can export audio).

Linux is essentially useless for making music, as far as I know.

There's Rosegarden and Ardour for Linux, neither of which are really comparable to what's available for Windows unless you like being able to look at or modify the source code.

And yes, Audacity is just a .wav editor, you can't really play notes into it.

You also might want to take a look at Reaper, which doesn't have as polished a UI as Ableton or FL, but has an unlimited demo and is only $50 to register.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Captain Queernabs posted:

This is a really informative thread! I've browsed it, but 63 pages is a lot - if a question like this has already come up then please forgive me.

I know how to use a keyboard and can play piano. I'm just looking for something that will let me plunk in a few notes, adjust the way they sound, and then go back and add to it -- musical doodling, if you will. I've already got Audacity and wouldn't mind trying out the demos of a program or two, but there are enough programs with lists of pros and cons that I feel a little overwhelmed trying to decide which features and options I want.

poo poo, I'd buy an Oxygen8 for $50.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I would check that the Oxygen8 is compatible with Windows 7 because I know that M-Audio don't provide any 64-bit drivers for it.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Afro Thunder posted:

Any users of Audiomulch? I watched a video of girl talk using adobe audition with it for clip DJing.

I've been using the demo of Ableton Live Suite 8 so far and I like it. However I'm not sure which route I want to go since I plan on using it mostly to clip DJ.
That's an awful idea and don't do it. That only makes sense if you like making life hard for yourself and you can intuitively calculate between bpm and length in seconds and its just a big hassle for no reason. Audiomulch is basically the same thing as Max/MSP. You can see how it wouldn't be easiest thing to do for mashups.

Using Ableton for playing a bunch of clips will be way easier and less time consuming and frustrating.

ProdigalSon
Sep 15, 2003

ManoliIsFat posted:

Audiomulch is basically the same thing as Max/MSP. You can see how it wouldn't be easiest thing to do for mashups.

Using Ableton for playing a bunch of clips will be way easier and less time consuming and frustrating.

Why would girl talk opt for it if this is the case? I agree that ableton seems like an easier solution but there must be a reason why he doesn't just use ableton like everyone else.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

ProdigalSon posted:

Why would girl talk opt for it if this is the case? I agree that ableton seems like an easier solution but there must be a reason why he doesn't just use ableton like everyone else.

When he started producing, it was before Live had really taken off, and he was using the tools he knew + had available. And once you have a workflow that you're happy and comfortable with, you don't want to switch things up just for the sake of switching.

I'm pretty sure he has used / experimented with Live some more recently though.

I've seen some videos of him putting tracks together in Audition / Cool Edit, and it's great he gets the results that he does, but I would never recommend anybody else try that way of doing things.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ProdigalSon posted:

Why would girl talk opt for it if this is the case?
He's a nerd. Also he used to make bleep-blorp experimental glitchy beats before he made mashups and Audiomulch is (was? i haven't used that program in almost a decade) perfect for that.

And h_double is right on the money. If you have an established workflow, that's how you're gonna make music for a long time.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Played around with audiomulch today. It's a really backwards program, and not very intuitive. It feels like something that would be on Linux. The only thing I thought was better was the ability to throw on effects. Other then that, I'm gonna stick with Ableton. I'm gonna get Ableton Live Suite 8 in a month.

Should I get the APC40, or another controller instead? A lot of the clips I use I edit in garage band, although Im thinking about getting Audition (I used to use Cool Edit Pro back in the old original Final Scratch days). But I'm not sure, and thinking about getting an m-audio keyboard and trigger finger to start creating some of my own clips to use since using the computer keyboard is a real pain in the rear end, and then in a few months getting the APC 40.

My only problem with getting the APC40 is that I feel Rane is gonna come out with a controller for it to use with Serato Scratch Live.

Afro Thunder fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jun 24, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
experimenting some with more with dubstep sounds

feedback pls

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

experimenting some with more with dubstep sounds

feedback pls

i don't like that start but I love the second half and your bass sounds. Make more length and variations I can't really tell. Just make some generic mutes so I can hear all the parts would be cool. I think your sound design is getting more interesting all the time.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

Rkelly posted:

i don't like that start but I love the second half and your bass sounds. Make more length and variations I can't really tell. Just make some generic mutes so I can hear all the parts would be cool. I think your sound design is getting more interesting all the time.

yea its just a loop right now, im still fleshing it out.

JGTheSpy
Jul 31, 2002
Excuse me, but if I could have a moment of your time, I'd like to explain why you're not actually enjoying that game that you're enjoying. You see, I am in fact an expert. At games. I know, it's impressive.
I ordered some books off Amazon but I started self-teaching myself Logic before they got here and I made this little diddy to help me figure stuff out. Now that I've finished my Logic book and the first couple chapters of the Dance Music Manual, I've gone back and touched it up a bit and I wanted some opinions. I don't know what genre it is but I'd personally classify it as no vocals hip hop for white people who like rock music and dancing.

There's a part about 20 seconds in that might be irritating. I can't tell because I had so much fun drunkenly jamming on my keyboard to make it that my opinion is tainted. It's brief so please don't stop it there. I'm also aware of a certain processing issue but I don't want to say anything. I'm forcing myself to stop playing with it so I can move on to something new and any information on problems that I'm not aware of will be helpful for my next mad fly dance tune. I really want to try this drum and bass nonsense.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Afro Thunder posted:

Should I get the APC40, or another controller instead? A lot of the clips I use I edit in garage band, although Im thinking about getting Audition (I used to use Cool Edit Pro back in the old original Final Scratch days). But I'm not sure, and thinking about getting an m-audio keyboard and trigger finger to start creating some of my own clips to use since using the computer keyboard is a real pain in the rear end, and then in a few months getting the APC 40.

The Ohm64 looks like it might be pretty rad. It's a bit more pricey ($599) and not as specifically attuned to Live, but on the other hand it's supposed to be a more open platform and it looks like it would just feel really satisfying to use.

Or take it in another direction altogether:

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

h_double posted:

The Ohm64 looks like it might be pretty rad. It's a bit more pricey ($599) and not as specifically attuned to Live, but on the other hand it's supposed to be a more open platform and it looks like it would just feel really satisfying to use.

The fact that it comes with Cell DNA has nearly sold me. Being able to use it for performances in Live, as well as dick around with VJing, is simply irresistable. I'll have to put some serious thought into controllers now.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

h_double posted:

When he started producing, it was before Live had really taken off, and he was using the tools he knew + had available.

I did my first mashup back in 1997 or so using SoundForge 4.5 and FastTracker II. Timestretch in 'Forge, jump to DOS to FTII to sequence, save, jump back, save, jump back, save.

Thank goodness the year after that ACID 1.0 was released.

Then I dropped all the pure sample-based sequencing altogether; tried Live 3.0 while on Cubase SX, didn't like it (it acted weird and the stretching didn't work the way I wanted it to). Got frustrated with SX3, dumped it for Live 6, and then I completely loved the hell out of it.

You kids don't know how good you have it nowadays. Now get off my lawn.

Blinn
Mar 24, 2005

Hey again, electronic music thread!! I haven't written any electronic music in far too long so the other day I started working on this:

Put about 4 hours into it so far, would love to hear what you guys think of how it's developing.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Afro Thunder posted:

Played around with audiomulch today. It's a really backwards program, and not very intuitive. It feels like something that would be on Linux. The only thing I thought was better was the ability to throw on effects. Other then that, I'm gonna stick with Ableton. I'm gonna get Ableton Live Suite 8 in a month.

I dont think it's the kind of thing you're supposed to pick over something like ableton.

It's a processor first - for fine tuning sounds, creating noises and having really in depth control and exporting samples. I couldnt imagine trying to make anything of worth in it that stands alone.
Trying to do what ableton does would be backwards as gently caress, but for fine max/msp style work it's arguably the most intuitive piece of software around.

I've not made any music in over 4 weeks :( Need to sort this out stat.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I've not made any music in over 4 weeks :( Need to sort this out stat.
Pushin 2 months for me. If you don't keep it up, you lose it!

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

xpander posted:

The fact that it comes with Cell DNA has nearly sold me. Being able to use it for performances in Live, as well as dick around with VJing, is simply irresistable. I'll have to put some serious thought into controllers now.

I have this same problem. I really this and an apc40. use the ohm for step sequencing and custom parameters. Use the apc for controlling ableton. Or dj ableton and vj using cell dna.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
smore

feedback plz

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

trill rear end posted:

smore

feedback plz

i don't like the melody that's in the beginning, it's not interesting enough to play it w/o any other instruments imo and even with it's still kind of annoying

some of the knob tweaks on the bass are a little jarring too and not really in the way that dubstep is supposed to be i'm not sure how to explain that

so i'd recommend working on better melodies that make more sense and gently caress with your bass sound some, try a triangle wave on your cutoff or something i can't hear what yours is doing exactly

not horrible though but you need polish and more thought-out ideas

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
some pretty straight up chilled summer techno http://www.zshare.net/audio/6184260297e5bf24/

would like to hear thoughts

trill rear end your sounds are pretty cool (first one more than the second, which were all pretty standard) but you need to work on your drums if you wanna make dubstep. They gotta swing and have lots of space, its more than just the snare on 3

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 25, 2009

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Terrible Horse posted:

some pretty straight up chilled summer techno http://www.zshare.net/audio/6184260297e5bf24/

would like to hear thoughts

i like that

like the really short samples for the drums

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

trill rear end posted:

smore

feedback plz

I still want to remix PBT. :colbert:

Jarlaxle939
Aug 10, 2006

trill rear end posted:

smore

feedback plz

I really like those droning chords that come in halfway through. The wobbling square bass doesn't seem to go together with them though. Reminds me of Marble Madness. :]

The whole song is pretty atonal but I'd be lying if I said that bass didn't get my head nodding.

Blinn posted:

I haven't written any electronic music in far too long so the other day I started working on this:

Put about 4 hours into it so far, would love to hear what you guys think of how it's developing.

I'm a sucker for a good beat with triplets. Kept the groove interesting throughout the whole track. Very nice.

Jarlaxle939 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 26, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
workin on another new one, tryin to get my dubstep up to par

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Electro-pop-i don't know what the gently caress
reminds me of a song by...the softlights i think?
Just one verse dealy and a bridge idea, but still.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

trill rear end posted:

workin on another new one, tryin to get my dubstep up to par

God drat I'm likin this. Almsot want the bass a bit more muted, but then again bass front and center seems pretty central to dubstep (i don't really know any/listen to dubstep)

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i think im done, changed a lot

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

trill rear end posted:

You need to add a sub synth to your bassline when it kicks in, 'cause currently it has no impact and just sounds flabby. The intro sounds cool, rhythmically nice, but the bassline needs work as it just clashes with all the other elements when it kicks in and just causes the good parts to lose their impact. Some dubstep artists just kill the samples and melodies in their intros to give the bassline space, so you could consider that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

trill rear end posted:

Tight poo poo dog. The homie above me is right. I listened to this on my pa with 2 18s. It needs sub bass. Sine layer suboctave booty shake and it would be tough poo poo. I like the harpsichord mate.

• Locked thread