Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

Anubis posted:

He has stolen food and destroyed an otherwise healthy plant. He must die, suggestions are appreciated and pictures of the decimation will be posted when the wife gets home with the camera.

Let him develop into this. Then crush him.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
"She" planted a bunch of eggs in the container I put her in, so either I have a million hornworm eggs in my garden or I grabbed her just in time... Would several large buckets of soapy water, in lieu of their morning watering, hurt the plants?

ChuckHead posted:

Let him develop into this. Then crush him.

More like this:

GETCHA PAPER UP
Apr 17, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Both of my tomato plants have outgrown their 42" cages and pulled them out of the ground. One fell in the wind yesterday and I had to restake them with tobacco sticks this morning. :psyduck:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'd smursh the poo poo out of the worm, then tie him up on a stake in the garden to remind his buddies.

It worked for me with rabbits.

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

Keep him in the peanut butter jar. Put the peanut butter jar in the tomato plants while he starves to death.

The are suddenly flowers all over my tomato plants woo hooo! And my cucumber grew in 5 directions yesterday. So nice to actually see lots of progress now that the weather is shaping up finally.

FuzzyDunlop
Oct 7, 2003

in ur chest, meltin ur heart
Neem oil for the hornworms. Add a few drops of dishsoap to a liter of water, then maybe a teaspoon of neem (which you can get in the beauty section of Indian groceries.) Shake it up good, then spray the poo poo out of the leaves and tomatoes.

Just make sure to test on a leaf or two first, and don't do it during the hottest/sunniest parts of the day. Otherwise you might end up with a dead plant.

Seriously though, other than picking off the hornworms and smashing them, this is the best method of control I've found. And it lasts a good long while because the plant absorbs the neem, and bugs hate the taste.

VVV try neem oil! Seriously, most bugs can't stand the stuff. It's organic, all natural, all that poo poo. I hear they use it for abortions in India.

FuzzyDunlop fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 29, 2009

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Anyone have any suggestions for killing three-lined potato beetle? After smashing four or five of them and then googling the fuckers, I can't find any answers except poisons I am not willing to use and just smooshing them. They are eating my cayenne peppers and I hate them!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Here are my progress photos. I still can't believe the growth of ten days to these plants. Today my pepper plant has flowered again, but birds or chipmunks are causing havoc to the rest of my pots. I think I'll get an owl stature or some rubber snakes from the store tomorrow to see if that helps.

Paprika pepper with basils in the background

basil!!!

Sex Reflex
Jul 13, 2003

dendrophile thinks i am swell as hell
I've been working on my gardening skills this year, and actually coming up with some good veggies. I don't seem to have any luck with planting by seeds, but regardless, I want to save the seeds from my plants to try next year. Mostly I've got various strains of peppers, does anyone here have any concise tips on saving/storing seeds?

Here's some pics of what I've got going on right now!

For being "Cherry Hot" peppers, some of these bastards are getting big.

Ancho/poblano peppers

One of my jalapeno plants, they've been producing faster than any other plant I've got.

My tabascos have really exploded.

Close-up of tabasco, there's a fuckton of them.

Not garden-related, but this is where I'll harvest millions of scuppernong grapes in a month or two.

Sex Reflex fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 29, 2009

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Regarding that loving huge caterpillar, I hate to pull an old SA meme out of retirement, but kill it with fire.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just put it in the microwave.

Or that "put it in a jar and let it starve surrounded by food" idea was great too.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

I wonder if it would eat the eggs to survive.

Science demands an answer.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Anubis posted:

"She" planted a bunch of eggs in the container I put her in, so either I have a million hornworm eggs in my garden or I grabbed her just in time...

The caterpillars don't lay eggs, just the moths. What do the "eggs" look like?

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

uh oh. I transplanted my cucumber, and thought i did a good job... when I dumped out the "extra" dirt from the old pot, it was full of roots. Hopefully it'll be OK, it's been growing so well lately :(

Rooster286
Dec 18, 2000

Dr. Rooster Smart, PhD
Here are a couple of my hornworms from last year. I grew these tomatoes outdoors where they were fine and moved them inside when it started getting cold out, the hornworms didn't hatch until they were indoors. The are making GBS threads machines. I killed them before I though of jarring them and feeding them to get cacoons or something just for shits and giggles. If leaves start to disappear and tomatoes get eaten in big chunks, this is why!

^^ Eaten tomato and hornworm shits ^^

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Windy posted:

The caterpillars don't lay eggs, just the moths. What do the "eggs" look like?

Round balls of green, they look like the eggs in the GIS I did but I imagine since you said that it's likely just poop. I think I'm going with the surrounded by food suggestion. Just gotta find a cheap glass jar to "plant" in my garden.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I kept one a few summers ago in the hopes of having a hawkwing moth to examine. All the worm did was crap like it was getting paid to do so. When the moth emerged in the spring it was all deformed(I think it was a moisture issue). I always keep an eye out for them to try again, but haven't seen one since.

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.
So I finally got around to installing a soaker hose today, but I'm not sure if my half-assing will be ok. First of all, I did install a backflow preventer, but I couldn't get the hose off the faucet so I put it at the end of the hose (the regular hose that stretches to the garden, that I attach the soaker to). Secondly, I didn't buy a pressure regulator, instead I have one of those turn off things and I turned it just until the dripping reached all the way to the end. Um, will that do?

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Well, July is starting out the same way June was. Dark, cold, and wet. It is 60 degrees right now and raining again. Tomorrow will be the same. Last night the Charles River was steaming the same way a lake does on a frosty morning in the fall. Its been almost a month since we have seen the sun for more than a few minutes. I wish I had exciting pictures like all of you do, but most things just are not growing. Even the weeds are having a hard time, and its so cold that insects have not been a problem. Even the mosquitoes have been sluggish.

Anyone else having a non-summer summer?

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

It's too bad we can't average this whole weather thing out. It was 114 here in Folsom on Monday.

It's been 105+ for the last week. My beatiful Romas are literally being decimated by blossom end rot.

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 1, 2009

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
^^^^^'Sup Folsom buddy!

I ate my first fresh corn yesterday. YUM! Ridiculously small (the cob was about 3 inches long) but sweet enough to eat raw. I haven't looked into why they are so small yet (1st time gardener) but I'm guessing lack of pollination?

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Ominous Balls posted:

It's too bad we can't average this whole weather thing out. It was 114 here in Folsom on Monday.

It's been 105+ for the last week. My beatiful Romas are literally being decimated by blossom end rot.

With those temperatures it is probably uneven water, drying out and getting wet again--and Romas are really susceptible to BER. Have you mulched?

LOLbertsons
Apr 8, 2009

HeatherChandler posted:

With those temperatures it is probably uneven water, drying out and getting wet again--and Romas are really susceptible to BER. Have you mulched?

Mulched them a month ago. It seems like it has helped the soil retain moisture a little bit longer than without.

I am definitely guilty of the uneven watering. When it gets this hot and I see my guys wilting 3 days after watering, it's so hard not to go and fill'er up again.

Aside from my undisciplined watering habits, all the other tomatoes and peppers are going gangbusters. It's just those drat Romas and their pointy little ends. Even the beautiful fatty ripe ones I pick sometimes have a bit of rot on the inside near the tip.

You're right though, tough love from here on out.

BTW Whattup Meow? I'm actually in EDH.

LOLbertsons fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 2, 2009

Chajara
Jan 18, 2005

I'm really excited about some new strawberries and my pole beans (apologies for the cruddy cell phone pics):

Only three little berries starting to form but these are the first ones to come from the plants in my hanging basket. I already harvested my other 2 plants that I have in a pot. I'm hoping to see more flowers spring up in the next few weeks.

These are my pole beans, and they're easily twice this size now (this picture was taken on the 25th of June I think). I'm super excited because there are little flower buds popping up all over, though it might be a day or two before they bloom. I'm trying to decide whether to allow them to climb all over the railing on my balcony, but I'm worried that if I do and a storm pops up I won't be able to pull them back out of the wind. Does anyone know if it'd be okay now that they're bigger to let them take the full force of a storm?

This is my biggest tomato plant and I've already had several ripe tomatoes off it.

This plant is smaller but it was loaded with flowers, which are now starting to wilt and either snap off or drop the petals to reveal a developing new tomato. :neckbeard:

On top of that my dad found me a complete canning kit and a bunch of jars for like 5 or 6 bucks at a garage sale and he's on his way with it right now (coming to Milwaukee from Indiana to visit). I'm going to buy a counter-mounted apple peeler at some point and then I'll be ready to stock my larders with enough apple pie filling to last us this winter. :3

The Big One
Aug 22, 2007

climb aboard the murder train
I've been reading up on gardening these days in an attempt to get the yard under control. I'm Zone 6 and overrun with all sorts of stuff, which hopefully means the soil is fertile?? Can anyone give me a general idea of how much of this is weeds and would have to be killed off? This is what we're looking at:

Around 7PM, but usually a lot of sun:

On the side of the house there's what looks like should be a nice flower bed:

Front corner of the house:

Edit: Thought this was poison ivy, but now that I see the serrated edges, I think it may be blackberry:

There's some actual blackberry fruit in the front of the house, no idea how this stuff gets here:

There's also a ton of ivy all over the house, and one section has a bunch of spotty leaves. I haven't found anything through searching, does anyone know if this is a disease or just sun spots... ?

As I've been reading the thread and books, it seems like the time has passed to plant anything new, but I wanted to prepare the soil at least for next season. Are there any good guides or general tips before I tear up some dirt? I'd love to get something started here.

The Big One fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jul 8, 2009

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

The Big One posted:

On the side of the house there's what looks like should be a nice flower bed:

This is Pachysandra or Spurge. It is a ground cover that thrives in deep shade.

Front corner of the house:

Virginia Creeper, a vine with a lot of uses, including shade, but it is very aggressive

There's some actual blackberry fruit in the front of the house, no idea how this stuff gets here:

These are black raspberries.

It looks like you got your work cut out for you. I would start now digging stuff out now, attacking part of the yard at a time. You could use a broad spectrum herbicide like Roundup to kill the things that you don't want, or determine are weeds. It looks like you have a lot of shade. In the shadiest spots, I would plant a shade garden with plants like hosta's or shade tolerant annuals like impatiens. Spring bulbs should do well too, all the more reason to prepare the soil now. Assuming you live in a sunnier climate than what Boston has been this year, you could still expect to get some veggies, but the most sun and heat loving things like peppers, eggplant and melons probably won't do well.

Speaking of Boston and our non summer summer, this is my garden as of a couple days ago. It was so dark, cold, and foggy, things came out on the blurry side.

The squash in front doesn't like the cold, however it managed to double in size since then in the three sunny days since the pic.

Only the cabbage seems to be thriving

Finally a few cherry tomatoes among the lanky vines

Another typical July day, its 6:30 pm, 58 degrees, I'm wearing a coat, we were under flood watches all day.

We had a couple sunny days after I took these pics, but today was cold, cloudy and rainy again.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

The Big One posted:

Bird eats blackberry. Bird shits out blackberry seeds--->Blackberry plant.

Works pretty much the same way with elderberry plants and raspberries as well.

They're tasty, but the per plant yield is WAY less than if you had a commercial cultivar and the fruits are way smaller as well.

osukeith161
Dec 19, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just harvested some more peppers.I am still waiting on the habaneros and bell, but everything else has been fantastic. I am actually really pleased with the heat level of my jalapenos. Quite hot. Here is a picture of a pile of peppers!

Here they are a bit more organized. Starting with the green and going clockwise: New Mexican Chile, Piment d Espelette, Black Cuban, Takanotsume, and Jalapenos in the center.

I dried all but two of the Piment d Espelletes, and made salsa with everything else.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Do any green-thumbed goons own a Hori Hori, or have experience using one? I'd really like to get a couple (one for me, one or two for my parents who garden a poo poo-ton - or at least my dad) but haven't been able to actually find them in any of the H&G stores I've checked out lately.

So does anyone have a recommendation of brand, things to watch out for with these, or just a trip report on how good/bad you found it to be for your uses?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Do any green-thumbed goons own a Hori Hori, or have experience using one? I'd really like to get a couple (one for me, one or two for my parents who garden a poo poo-ton - or at least my dad) but haven't been able to actually find them in any of the H&G stores I've checked out lately.

So does anyone have a recommendation of brand, things to watch out for with these, or just a trip report on how good/bad you found it to be for your uses?

I posted my newfound love affair with hori horis back on page 9. They're very useful tools, I use mine all the time. I especially recommend them for digging and planting near trees; the serrated edge is well suited for sawing through tree roots. Their thickness also makes them good for digging in poor soils (like my rocks & clay) without bending.

Be careful, brand new they are very sharp. If you're digging a hole and are used to using your opposite hand alongside a garden trowel, then substituting in a hori hori is an accident waiting to happen. Luckily, pain makes an effective teacher.

I got mine from a local commercial gardening business. I'd give a link, but they have a $50 minimum for internet orders, and hori horis start at $25. I noticed some at Amazon.com too. Since then I have seen American-bastardized versions called "garden knives" without the sharp point. I'd skip those. I'd also spend the extra and get a stainless steel one. Nobody likes rusty garden tools!

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 10, 2009

Tequila Mockingbird
Oct 6, 2005

NosmoKing posted:

They're tasty, but the per plant yield is WAY less than if you had a commercial cultivar and the fruits are way smaller as well.

This has to be location dependent. As a kid on BC's lower mainland, I could pick an ice cream bucket's worth of huge, juicy berries in about ten minutes. I'm so jealous of your blackberry plant... that's a hopeless pursuit in my area :(

I left town for a week and was worried I'd come home to dead plants, but there's been nothing but rain since I left. Probably more in the past 4 days than Calgary's had all summer!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

NosmoKing posted:

Not to mention nearly all the commercial cultivars have the added benefit of being thornless.

All 3 of those plants are natives to the US. You'll find them wild all over the place.

edit: actually, that kind of looks like a black raspberry...

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 9, 2009

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

kid sinister posted:

edit: actually, that kind of looks like a black raspberry...

That's what I said a day ago!

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
So I made my first attempt at planting Serrano chilies last weekend. Tried seeds in one of those prefab seedling greenhouses with a light overhead. All the other herbs I planted, couple types of basil and catnip, spouted right away no problem, however nothing from any of the chili seeds. Am I just being impatient and they take a little longer to sprout or should I try again/do something different?

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Spigs posted:

So I made my first attempt at planting Serrano chilies last weekend. Tried seeds in one of those prefab seedling greenhouses with a light overhead. All the other herbs I planted, couple types of basil and catnip, spouted right away no problem, however nothing from any of the chili seeds. Am I just being impatient and they take a little longer to sprout or should I try again/do something different?

Peppers can be slow to germinate as well as slow to develop. A heat mat or a plain old heat blanket on low with something wrapped to keep it from getting too hot speeds things up a lot. Do you live in an frost-free area? In most of the US it will be far too late to start pepper seeds for outdoors, although they can be finished indoors if kept in a pot and have adequate light. Unless you are way down south, then ignore me.

Spigs
Jun 5, 2008
I'm in the Northeast but I'm growing indoors. I guess I will just have to be patient!

ChaoticSeven
Aug 11, 2005

Well, the tomato plants are really kicking un as far as ripe fruit production goes. Too bad I found out yesterday I have to work out of state for 3 months or longer. Thats what I get for ambition. :smith:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Do any of you goons doing the square foot gardening method use the Mel's Mix recipe instead of soil? I'm in Australia and this year will be my second attempt at growing some veg and herbs in the backyard, and I want to go from pots last year to some square foot raised beds. The square foot gardening site touts the method as high intensity and all that, and I like the idea of growing in another substrate if it's going to help things along.

So is that the way to go, or should I be doing square foot in raised beds using normal potting mix?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Spigs posted:

They do take longer to sprout up but mine came up within a week - did you maybe plant them deeper and so it's taking longer? You could try poking around in one area just to see if they are sprouting up under the soil. I got impatient and did that with mine, and found out they were right there, just taking their time to come up!

Fungus gnats suck, they are all over my peppers outside. Do I really have to shell out $30 for nematodes? I'm starting to think I'll just let the plants die off (the little seedlings haven't grown at all because of them) and try again next year, remembering to keep them inside and not overwater them before I put them outside. The gnats don't seem to be affecting the tomatoes, beans, or cucumbers, just the peppers.

edit: and yeah that is totally a black raspberry, blackberries aren't dome shaped like that (my rule is if you can make a finger puppet with it it is a raspberry :)).

moana fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Thanks for summing up my hornworm experiences, superpoop.