Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

trill, you still pulling off this awesome poo poo without any sort of controller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Working on an instrumental and working with two possible acapellas as of now, anyone got any opinions?

Katy Perry - Waking up in vegas

Justin timberlake/ciara - love sex and magic i think the name is

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

I think some of the ending bass "fill" notes don't match up to the key of the second version.

I'm going to have to go with the first one. It's more dancy, but the rhodes goes with timberlake more. The first one still barely wins.

I don't like that "straw" thing you have her singing through though. Makes me think "oh man I have to go help that girl out of the tube she's stuck in"

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Mannex posted:

I think some of the ending bass "fill" notes don't match up to the key of the second version.

I'm going to have to go with the first one. It's more dancy, but the rhodes goes with timberlake more. The first one still barely wins.

I don't like that "straw" thing you have her singing through though. Makes me think "oh man I have to go help that girl out of the tube she's stuck in"

That straw is the acapella, had the instrumental and full mix, made the acapella meself, never turns out sounding great though :/

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
He has korg controller of some kind I believe he said in this thread earlier.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Pop song remixes :toot:

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I dont have the money but here is a fender chroma polaris for sale. 400 bucks. Its a steal. Its in LA and was just posted. It is one of the first arp/fender hybrids.

Curtis chip filter.

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/chromapolaris.php

Same osc and filter as the prophet. 6 part multitimbral.

I am mad I don't have the money any goon should buy it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1243079511.html

and heres a juno with midi to dcb box and a jsq sequencer for 500 and an esq-1 for cheap.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1243983931.html

heres a tx802
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/msg/1232215144.html
its like having 5 or so dx-7 5 gazillion operators. 159bux

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 28, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i use a korg microkontrol, but i heavily edit when i record into ableton.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Tokit posted:

Pop song remixes :toot:

Gotta bring something else to the table man, for all the merits a song like this might have, if its essentially the original with a beat and phatter sounds, and everythign else is the same, I just see it being one of those songs the TOP40JAMZ stations plays at 2am on thursday nights as just a 'remix' (not a remix by anyone, just like a dance/club remix).

That said, this is exactly where I started several years back and I'm still doin pop remixes, so keep on keeping on, just try to make the song your own. There's an interview with soulwax somewhere talking about how they go about remixing, if you see it, watch it.

Also, gots my own pop remix :toot:

Started disco, adding some more modern flair to it and still not 100% sure I like it, might revert back to the strictly 70's version I posted earlier. Thoughts?

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

mezzir posted:

Gotta bring something else to the table man, for all the merits a song like this might have, if its essentially the original with a beat and phatter sounds, and everythign else is the same, I just see it being one of those songs the TOP40JAMZ stations plays at 2am on thursday nights as just a 'remix' (not a remix by anyone, just like a dance/club remix).

That said, this is exactly where I started several years back and I'm still doin pop remixes, so keep on keeping on, just try to make the song your own. There's an interview with soulwax somewhere talking about how they go about remixing, if you see it, watch it.

It wasn't a serious remix at all, I made it to test the bass synth I made in operator and I just happened to spend a bunch of time adding on to it and mixing it when I was bored. I just picked that song because I found the acapella and I blow at music theory and happened to find that that usher song was like 4 notes.

Tokit fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jun 29, 2009

theunderwaterbear
Sep 24, 2004
Any opinions on the Korg MicroKontrol? I'm thinking of getting it as my first electronic/club/dj music purchase. Or would it be better to buy something smaller and spend the money on software to begin with?

theunderwaterbear fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 29, 2009

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Tokit posted:

It wasn't a serious remix at all, I made it to test the bass synth I made in operator and I just happened to spend a bunch of time adding on to it and mixing it when I was bored. I just picked that song because I found the acapella and I blow at music theory and happened to find that that usher song was like 4 notes.

I don't suppose you can share that Operator patch? I'd given up on it because I knew so little about FM, but having done a lot of research since then, I'm up for following an example.

mr.dandelion
Apr 9, 2009
Talking about the microKONTROL - I recently bought one and it's just arrived, but I can't get the darn thing interacting with the librarian software properly. Trying to receive/transmit data through the software just gives a 'MIDI Timeout' error message: it can't find the controller. This is odd, because every other piece of software I've tried can. Using an Intel Macbook on 10.5.7, have updated to the latest firmware, driver, and version of the software.

Is everyone else's librarian software functioning normally? Am I being a dummy and missing some super important config step?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

mr.dandelion posted:

Talking about the microKONTROL - I recently bought one and it's just arrived, but I can't get the darn thing interacting with the librarian software properly. Trying to receive/transmit data through the software just gives a 'MIDI Timeout' error message: it can't find the controller. This is odd, because every other piece of software I've tried can. Using an Intel Macbook on 10.5.7, have updated to the latest firmware, driver, and version of the software.

Is everyone else's librarian software functioning normally? Am I being a dummy and missing some super important config step?

Mine doesn't work either -- I'm pretty sure it just doesn't work with Leopard and Korg never fixed it, since it worked back when I had 10.4. :(

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

squidgee posted:

Mine doesn't work either -- I'm pretty sure it just doesn't work with Leopard and Korg never fixed it, since it worked back when I had 10.4. :(

Yeah I have slowly learned that music software is slowly updated to os changes if ever. Only random ones and the really really popular poo poo is updated. it seems like a lot of manufactures don't give a gently caress about updating their older poo poo, they would rather you buy something new. FAGGOTZS

I hope windows 7 xp sandboxing works great and works in the 64-bit version of 7. Maybe then ableton will run on windows 7 for me and novation,korg, yamaha, and presonus will support my poo poo.

Also Vst's and Au's are notorious for compatibility problems with even small os changes, then they are dependent on things like if you have the right firewire chipset, or the right motherboard. kinda annoying really.:420:

Rkelly fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 30, 2009

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

xpander posted:

I don't suppose you can share that Operator patch? I'd given up on it because I knew so little about FM, but having done a lot of research since then, I'm up for following an example.

Honestly I just hosed around with all the knobs before I got a decent sound close to something I wanted then put some effects on it. (I put the saturator patch i used in there too)

http://dongdad.com/~tokit/DistortedBassOperator.zip

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Holy poo poo: Native Instruments Komplete is $399 for the the month of July. I need to come up with some cash.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

squidgee posted:

Holy poo poo: Native Instruments Komplete is $399 for the the month of July. I need to come up with some cash.

I think its only gonna be like 150 to get the new version if you buy this one. So for like 550 you will have the new komplete when its out. Saving like 400.

Get this poo poo. Fm8, massive, guitar rig 3, absynth, reaktor, and b3 are all things I love desparately.

Sorry Pro 53 I forgot that your awesome as gently caress.

Fm8 loads dx-7 sysex so it rules beyond belief, Morphing betweem 4 dx-7 presets is sex.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Rkelly posted:

I think its only gonna be like 150 to get the new version if you buy this one. So for like 550 you will have the new komplete when its out. Saving like 400.

Get this poo poo. Fm8, massive, guitar rig 3, absynth, reaktor, and b3 are all things I love desparately.

Fm8 loads dx-7 sysex so it rules beyond belief, Morphing betweem 4 dx-7 presets is sex.

Christ, it's worth it for Reaktor alone -- the user library represents a nearly limitless source of weird effects and synths.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Rkelly posted:

Pro 53 rules forever

Gxp
Jan 23, 2004

Son I'm afraid this is a stereo disaster.

melee beats posted:

Pro 53 rules forever
Ohoho Pro-53, a few of my old songs have instruments that cut in and out because I would use the trial version of Pro-53 in everything.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Anybody else having trouble registering on the NI site?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

squidgee posted:

I am all over that. Good find, thanks.
Edit: to put this in perspective, it's $290 cheaper than the educational discount, which I was already considering buying.
Doubledit: Turned out to be an expensive day, as I just bought Live 8 as well.

Vanmani fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 2, 2009

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Tokit posted:

Honestly I just hosed around with all the knobs before I got a decent sound close to something I wanted then put some effects on it. (I put the saturator patch i used in there too)

http://dongdad.com/~tokit/DistortedBassOperator.zip

Thanks, those are great starter patches. I can definitely work with them!

Here is our latest, I think we've really started to home in on our sound. We're going to do a different remix to pull out some of the elements we want to emphasize, but I'd like to share what we've got so far:

Critique is very much appreciated.

Edit - I should probably include the genre: this is progressive.

xpander fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 2, 2009

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dicky B posted:

Anybody else having trouble registering on the NI site?

I noticed 2 or three threads about this today. what a bitch. check Gear slutz for info.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

squidgee posted:

gently caress. it's exactly the same price if you already own the synths as it is to buy it on it's own. I dont really want two copes of those, but I do want contakt, reactor & battery. :(

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Then buy it, wait until the blowout is over, resell your separate licenses.

Surely there's going to be a poor schmuck left who'll have missed out.

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Yoozer posted:

Surely there's going to be a poor schmuck left who'll have missed out.

You'd think, but it's impossible to sell a copy of Battery 3 nowadays since the 50% off sale back in May.

Also you can't sell packaged licenses separately. He could just sell Komplete Synths though (assuming that's what he's got).

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Woop now I don't have any money :woop:

Rkelly posted:

I noticed 2 or three threads about this today. what a bitch. check Gear slutz for info.
I managed to get it working by using Internet Explorer instead.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Dicky B posted:

Woop now I don't have any money :woop:
I managed to get it working by using Internet Explorer instead.

Cool man. I think some people like on gear slutz are really smart about gear and production but have no clue about the internet. They probably continue to try it in Chrome.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

xpander posted:

Here is our latest, I think we've really started to home in on our sound. We're going to do a different remix to pull out some of the elements we want to emphasize, but I'd like to share what we've got so far:

something about it makes it sound like everything is in different rooms or something. the drums dont sound like that are "attached" to the rest of the song or something. i dunno, hard to explain. the mix is really good except for that and i cant quite put my finger on it. maybe do a little main bus eq'ing and compression to make it stick together better but that may be terrible advice.

but i like it alot, probably one of the better songs on this thread, i could totally imagine hearing this on some vinyl

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

oredun posted:

something about it makes it sound like everything is in different rooms or something. the drums dont sound like that are "attached" to the rest of the song or something. i dunno, hard to explain. the mix is really good except for that and i cant quite put my finger on it. maybe do a little main bus eq'ing and compression to make it stick together better but that may be terrible advice.

but i like it alot, probably one of the better songs on this thread, i could totally imagine hearing this on some vinyl

The first thing I noticed about the track was that it sounded like there was a stereo effect on the drums. Besides that, everything sounds pretty good, there were a couple of weird spots but besides that it goes well together

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

xpander posted:

you are in dire need of some melodic elements. the rest is fine, but theres plenty of room in the mix for more. go nuts

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

oredun posted:

Do you mean the break at the start of the track, or throughout? My partner did some weird filtering and panning at the start, and I don't like it. If you mean the rest, I'll give it another listen for that. We do want a really spacey, roomy sound to it, but not at the cost of the cohesiveness of the track.

melee beats posted:

The first thing I noticed about the track was that it sounded like there was a stereo effect on the drums. Besides that, everything sounds pretty good, there were a couple of weird spots but besides that it goes well together

Same as above, are you just referring to the initial break, or throughout? If two people noticed, there's gotta be something there.

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

you are in dire need of some melodic elements. the rest is fine, but theres plenty of room in the mix for more. go nuts

I agree with this, and I'm glad to hear it. I'm still trying to understand the fine line between sparse and overcrowded in electronic music. We need the secret sauce to drive it home and tug some heartstrings.

Thanks for the comments guys, I was hoping one of the 20+ downloads would have something to say. :)

Damien
Jun 21, 2003
Here is a track I've been working on on and off over the past couple of weeks. Not sure what category to file it under, while it's very bassy and beat driven it's not quite dubstep or hip-hop, it's a bit dark/noisy and trippy as well. This is very much a WIP, so give me some feedback.

Here's another track, more melodic, less noisy and dark, more uptempo as well. Still a WIP.

Thanks in advance.

Damien fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 3, 2009

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

I have to agree with this. The sounds are really nice, but the "melodies" of the different instruments usually seem to be just one or two notes repeated over and over. You can do better than that :)

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
another jam im workin on

ps how is the subbass

trill ass fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 3, 2009

Damien
Jun 21, 2003

trill rear end posted:

another jam im workin on

ps how is the subbass

This is probably the favorite thing I've heard from you, excellent groove and build-up. Listening to this on a system with an OK sub, the subbass is present but not in-your-face. I like the synth sounds and the interlocking groove and melodies more in this than your other stuff, which was a bit too digital-sounding for me, but I'm into the more organic-sounding (like burial/flying lotus) or monstrously bassy (scorn) side of dubstep/dubby electronic music. Pretty solid, reminds me of gangsta rap in a good way, probably needs a transition and second part after the breakdown at the end for some variation.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

Mostly done-ish I believe, any opinions either way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

mezzir posted:

Mostly done-ish I believe, any opinions either way?

bassline patch doesnt... quite work

otherwise I am almost impressed, nice job

edit: must specify, notes could be fine, the sound is not.

• Locked thread