Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

brc64 posted:

One of my coworkers has been battling something nasty on her laptop for the last couple of weeks that I haven't had any time to look into. A couple weeks ago she told me that her computer "lost" her audio device. Last week she started getting bluescreens and error messages on startup referencing chkdsk.dll (it was in Start Menu/Programs/Startup), and I noticed that OfficeScan was not only outdated but the real time scanner wasn't even running anymore.

I've been at a local hospital every day last week so I haven't had any time to look closer into the problem. I downloaded VIPRE rescue to see if it would have any more luck than Trend crap, but her computer couldn't browse the network. Burned it to a CD instead, started it up, then went to the hospital. When I got back she said it didn't do anything when it finished but try to open some website that never loaded (and based on the URL I'm pretty sure VIPRE didn't launch it).

I'm pretty sure I'm just going to have to nuke the laptop. I just hope I have some time to look into it this week. Last week was hell.

COMBOFIX.

I had a pretty sweet one today - it may have been related to Vundo - but it removed boot.ini every reboot.

INFURIATING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
If you are having trouble with that new Vundo variant that's been running around, and AntiMalware and SuperAntispyware are getting their asses kicked, I highly suggest running:

Trojan Remover ( https://www.simplysup.com )

Its not a all in one cleaner, but with it you can get to where you can at least boot outside of safemode and install/run AntiMalware and SuperAntispyware. The jig is up, as it seems they're starting to target malwarebytes and superantispyware as of late.

For a good laugh at all the new 'rogue' antivirus/spyware apps popping up(unless you already know all the new ones because you keep installing them, ha) see the Malwarebytes blog:

http://malwarebytes.besttechie.net/

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 2, 2009

abominable fricke
Nov 11, 2003

What does Pottsylvania have more than any other country? Mean! We have more mean than any other country in Europe! We must export mean.

mixitwithblop posted:

If you are having trouble with that new Vundo variant that's been running around, and AntiMalware and SuperAntispyware are getting their asses kicked, I highly suggest running:

Trojan Remover ( https://www.simplysup.com )

Its not a all in one cleaner, but with it you can get to where you can at least boot outside of safemode and install/run AntiMalware and SuperAntispyware. The jig is up, as it seems they're starting to target malwarebytes and superantispyware as of late.

For a good laugh at all the new 'rogue' antivirus/spyware apps popping up(unless you already know all the new ones because you keep installing them, ha) see the Malwarebytes blog:

http://malwarebytes.besttechie.net/

I've been seeing this behavior for a while. Renaming combofix.exe to rambofix.exe is sometimes effective. Another tactic I employ in combating these malwares is to use hijackthis renamed to something coupled with the delete on reboot registry hack.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

quote:

Mass Injection Compromises More than Twenty-Thousand Web Sites

Date:05.29.2009

Threat Type: Malicious Web Site / Malicious Code

Websense Security Labs™ Threatseeker™ Network has detected that a large compromise of legitimate Web sites is currently taking place around the globe. Thousands of legitimate Web sites have been discovered to be injected with malicious JavaScript, obfuscated code that leads to an active exploit site. The active exploit site uses a name similar to the legitimate Google Analytics domain (google-analytics.com), which provides statistical services to Web sites.

http://securitylabs.websense.com/content/Alerts/3405.aspx

Large numbers of state and federal government, large business, and schools have had their homepages hacked. Whoops!

My money is on this in some way being related to Conficker.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Seems like a huge number of computers where I work got hit with trojan.win32.inject.achx

My favorite theory is basically poor patching. It's a bitch getting some of these machines back on their feet.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Microsoft Antivirus returns as "Morro":
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/06/16/exclusive-microsofts-anti-virus-morro-revealed

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

abominable fricke posted:

I've been seeing this behavior for a while. Renaming combofix.exe to rambofix.exe is sometimes effective. Another tactic I employ in combating these malwares is to use hijackthis renamed to something coupled with the delete on reboot registry hack.

Yeah, they've been doing that with spybot and ad aware for quite awhile now, not to mention every other boxed av software we love to hate. Its just that Antimal and sas are now whats on the popular/effective list.

I like how the download for GMER gives it a random name. The spyware game is one thing... the rootkit world is some scary poo poo. Most of the tools to combat them are old and some new rootkits avoid detection. That's including Icesword and rootkit revealer guys. GMER is the only one updated to these new attacks anymore really. And then I don't pay attention for a year or so, and look what happens:

http://www2.gmer.net/mbr/

See all the code updates the particular rootkit goes through to avoid detection. Stuff gets me paranoid.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I've got a strange thing on a customer's machine. All the folders in C: are replaced by the same name.exe (with extensions hidden) with the folder icon. For instance, C:\Windows .exe

Combofix found a bunch of stuff and removed all these things, and now I can get into cmd.exe and the task manager (which I could not before). However, the original C:\Windows and Documents and Settings folders etc are still super-hidden. Even with invisible folders turned on, they do not show up. However, navigating to them manually through cmd works. Is there a way I can un-hide them, or should I just repair install Windows? This is a new thing for me and googling shows only one guy who has this issue. Perhaps I don't google right.

In the mean time I'll be trying to solve it, but if anyone has insight it would be helpful.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande
Raluek, that sounds pretty messed up and if you aren't certain you'll be able to repair it 100%, I'd suggest format and reinstall. Especially if there isn't a whole lot of data you'd need to backup/apps to reinstall...

Repair install works sometimes, and it *might* be easier in this case(although it tends to screw up a lot of apps, in which case a complete wipe would be less time consuming in the end)... there's a lot of stuff you could fix via Dial-a-Fix and sfc, but as you say, it sounds like you'll have to manually fix quite a bit yourself. At a minimum prior to repair install, I'd suggest full scans with AntiMalware, SuperAntispyware and Trojan Remover as mentiond by me previously, if you can get them working on an seemingly fubar'd box.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

mixitwithblop posted:

Raluek, that sounds pretty messed up and if you aren't certain you'll be able to repair it 100%, I'd suggest format and reinstall. Especially if there isn't a whole lot of data you'd need to backup/apps to reinstall...

Repair install works sometimes, and it *might* be easier in this case(although it tends to screw up a lot of apps, in which case a complete wipe would be less time consuming in the end)... there's a lot of stuff you could fix via Dial-a-Fix and sfc, but as you say, it sounds like you'll have to manually fix quite a bit yourself. At a minimum prior to repair install, I'd suggest full scans with AntiMalware, SuperAntispyware and Trojan Remover as mentiond by me previously, if you can get them working on an seemingly fubar'd box.

Yeah that level of destruction means you need to reload. It will be faster to back up the data and reformat/reinstall.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I'm running a bunch of stuff on it right now (started with combofix, then to clamwin, superantispyware, malwarebytes) but I've not heard of Trojan Remover before (not up to date on this thread) so I'll try that before giving up hope. Prolly gonna have to reinstall anyways, though.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

I shouldn't trust the phones. They're full of gas.

Raluek posted:

Yeah, that was what I was afraid of. I'm running a bunch of stuff on it right now (started with combofix, then to clamwin, superantispyware, malwarebytes) but I've not heard of Trojan Remover before (not up to date on this thread) so I'll try that before giving up hope. Prolly gonna have to reinstall anyways, though.

For informational purposes, if you can isolate a file you're reasonably certain is infected -- or if you've got a pretty small folder that you can zip up that you think probably contains an infected file -- it might be useful to upload it to virustotal.com and see if you can get a name on what you've got. I haven't heard a lot of positive things lately on zero-day coverage, but you never know.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Midelne posted:

For informational purposes, if you can isolate a file you're reasonably certain is infected -- or if you've got a pretty small folder that you can zip up that you think probably contains an infected file -- it might be useful to upload it to virustotal.com and see if you can get a name on what you've got. I haven't heard a lot of positive things lately on zero-day coverage, but you never know.

Well, that's kind of a problem since various utilities have found a bunch of stuff and restored most functionality, just all the loving directories are hidden, and not in the usual "hidden" manner that you can turn on and off in folder options. Can cd to them fine, though. That's what bugs me the most. I'll try a repair install next time I'm in the shop (Friday). Net effect is that I don't know what is infected and what is not, since all the obvious stuff has been rooted out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The new Microsoft Antivirus "Microsoft Security Essentials" is now available for download (BETA, Microsoft passport/connect login required).

Rumor has it that this is limited to the first 75,000 downloaders, so get on it soon if you want to try it.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Raluek posted:

Well, that's kind of a problem since various utilities have found a bunch of stuff and restored most functionality, just all the loving directories are hidden, and not in the usual "hidden" manner that you can turn on and off in folder options. Can cd to them fine, though. That's what bugs me the most. I'll try a repair install next time I'm in the shop (Friday). Net effect is that I don't know what is infected and what is not, since all the obvious stuff has been rooted out.

I was talking about this with a friend of mine and we got into an argument over whether the functionality that you're describing can be resolved by unchecking the "Hide Protected Operating System Files" option in View or not -- a lot of people miss that one, so I'm leaning toward that as the explanation. Can you verify that you have not only configured the system so that you can view Hidden files, but also explicitly configured it to show System files and folders?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Rastor posted:

The new Microsoft Antivirus "Microsoft Security Essentials" is now available for download (BETA, Microsoft passport/connect login required).

Rumor has it that this is limited to the first 75,000 downloaders, so get on it soon if you want to try it.

Thanks for this tidbit. Do you have to login for each installation? Can I install this on multiple (personally owned) computers with the same LiveID?

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Rastor posted:

Morro has apparently done very well in initial tests on detection, disinfection, and avoidance of false-positives. Neat.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Otacon posted:

Thanks for this tidbit. Do you have to login for each installation? Can I install this on multiple (personally owned) computers with the same LiveID?
Looks like it so far. I've installed it on multiple machines with the same download.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

-Dethstryk- posted:

Looks like it so far. I've installed it on multiple machines with the same download.

Same. This is truly awesome.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Rastor posted:

Annnnd that's that.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Midelne posted:

Morro has apparently done very well in initial tests on detection, disinfection, and avoidance of false-positives. Neat.

I have it running on my XP32 machine and so far so good. I can't speak for it's effectiveness since I do at least try to avoid getting nasty software, but can say with 100% certainty it doesn't have Avira Free's annoying nag popups. :v:

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I've been checking out this thread regularly, anyone run into the Cognac trojan? My company's blacklisted everywhere, and the first sign of an infection was yesterday.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Oddhair posted:

I've been checking out this thread regularly, anyone run into the Cognac trojan? My company's blacklisted everywhere, and the first sign of an infection was yesterday.

Not specifically, but by "blacklisted" do you mean that upstream mail servers are refusing to accept your mail?

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

It seems that way.

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

Oddhair posted:

It seems that way.

Check your mail server for open relay status.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

While you're at it, check to see if your server is on any blacklists:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

mixitwithblop posted:

While you're at it, check to see if your server is on any blacklists:

http://www.mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

Also, what evidence do you have that your mail server is blacklisted? What error messages or NDRs are you receiving?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Oddhair posted:

It seems that way.

Block outbound 25 for anything that isn't your mailserver (why doesn't everyone do this?)

Midelne
Jun 19, 2002

sanchez posted:

Block outbound 25 for anything that isn't your mailserver (why doesn't everyone do this?)

Thought about recommending this, but if his mailserver is blacklisted I'd tend to think it was coming from his mailserver rather than infected PCs.

Still, excellent advice from a security standpoint anyway. And block outbound IRC while you're at it.

mixitwithblop
Feb 4, 2009

by elpintogrande

sanchez posted:

You got me. I came to the conclusion that most people in IT don't really know what they're doing... and they don't care until its a problem. Maybe all they hear is 011011000110111101101100011101110111010101110100 when you talk about ports or packets.

Maybe they've got some weird rear end pos app that wants to run a mailserver for some retarded reason and is 'essential'.... and their pos officedepot firewall is too weaksauce to add another source rule.

Midelne posted:

Thought about recommending this, but if his mailserver is blacklisted I'd tend to think it was coming from his mailserver rather than infected PCs.

If he's just got 1 nat'd lan/1 public ip etc, it all looks the same from the blacklisters point of view.

block irc? meh. most networks support ssl now, with a variety of ports to use. hence, newer botnets that still use irc probably do too. butusing irc is oldschool nowadays.

mixitwithblop fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 27, 2009

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...
Got screwed by a version of Virut recently. Backed up, formatted, reinstalled, am only retrieving things from my backups which aren't executables.

I had a fully updated version of Symantec Anti Virus which never even blinked. Going to try EndPoint on my reinstall instead.

edit: Also, I have absolutely no idea how I even contracted it in the first place.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

The machine was taken offline and cleaned, but I'll probably need to reinstall it Monday. I say probably because it isn't up to me, not because it will be optional. As of now, all blacklists are clear, but a few showed us as spammers on Friday.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Iblys posted:

Got screwed by a version of Virut recently. Backed up, formatted, reinstalled, am only retrieving things from my backups which aren't executables.

I had a fully updated version of Symantec Anti Virus which never even blinked. Going to try EndPoint on my reinstall instead.

edit: Also, I have absolutely no idea how I even contracted it in the first place.

I have Symantec End Point (thank you, US Govt) and it caught both the Virut and Virut!Html versions I had floating around (thank you, file sharing on ship).

Recently my hosting (Servage can go suck a fat dick, second time means it's time to move) got hacked again and I wound up having every one of my HTML files get injected with some awesome Javascript and all my .htaccess files rewritten.

I had to download all 11GB worth of files (never knew if anything else was inserted besides malicious HTML) and then run a virus scan. When my AV didn't detect the malicious script I had to get a File Search and Replace-type tool and then go and have it rip the code out of all 800 web pages.

Now I just have to reupload all 11GB to the new host. And then check to see how many of my domains got black listed by FF/Google. Again.

Yea! loving russian hackers.

Edit: Hey cool, apparently I missed a bunch of poo poo. Now I have to go through and manually check every directory for files I never added. I just found some cool obfusicated code that seemingly pulls from a huge file elsewhere in my site to make random blog posts or something. Awesome.

edit2: and inserted invisible iframes that silently open spam pages. awesome.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 28, 2009

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Malicious PDF files are the most common attack vector lately. Open up a legit site with a malicious banner ad, or a hacked site with a hidden iFrame that autoloads a PDF -> attacks Adobe Acrobat -> hello dropper, pulls down more poo poo, oh gently caress I've got Virut and TDSS rootkit poo poo everywhere.

Update to Acrobat 9.10, use Group Policy to turn off the Adobe Browser Helper object, or just remove the piece of poo poo. I've heard musings of globally disabling Javascript in all PDFs also stops these kind of buffer overflows but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does setting your browser so that PDF's aren't automatically opened protect from this poo poo?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

John Dough posted:

Does setting your browser so that PDF's aren't automatically opened protect from this poo poo?

Depends on the browser settings. Inline PDF rendering makes it much easier for a malicious iframe or banner ad to hit you with a PDF exploit, but even if that is disabled if your browser is set to automatically load the PDF when encountered you'll still get it. An open/save prompt will stop it so long as you don't try to open the thing.

I would strongly recommend changing your system's DEP setting from OptIn to OptOut mode so all processes execute with DEP checking regardless if they were compiled with the correct flags or not.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
I was in the Metal Thread in NMD a couple days ago switched to the next page and some invisible thing was playing like 5 different audio files all over the top of each other. None of them were playing anything related to metal. Freaked me the gently caress out. Disappeared when I reloaded the page. Doesn't appear to have installed anything that I've noticed. I have no idea what it was. Did a scan with Nod32 and MBAM and I appear to be clean. :iiam:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

anticake posted:

I was in the Metal Thread in NMD a couple days ago switched to the next page and some invisible thing was playing like 5 different audio files all over the top of each other. None of them were playing anything related to metal. Freaked me the gently caress out. Disappeared when I reloaded the page. Doesn't appear to have installed anything that I've noticed. I have no idea what it was. Did a scan with Nod32 and MBAM and I appear to be clean. :iiam:

Oh lord, Fragmaster's back to his old tricks. :v:

Iblys
Sep 23, 2003

gay for iBag....i mean, disconnect and self-destruct one bullet at a time...

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Depends on the browser settings. Inline PDF rendering makes it much easier for a malicious iframe or banner ad to hit you with a PDF exploit, but even if that is disabled if your browser is set to automatically load the PDF when encountered you'll still get it. An open/save prompt will stop it so long as you don't try to open the thing.

I would strongly recommend changing your system's DEP setting from OptIn to OptOut mode so all processes execute with DEP checking regardless if they were compiled with the correct flags or not.

Three questions:

1) How does my exclusive use of FoxIt affect my vulnerability to PDF exploits?
2) How do I do this DEP trick you're talking about?
3) What potential problems will I run into / what effects (if any) will I see through normal use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
You can set DEP to OptOut by going to System Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> Advanced --> Performance --> DEP

• Locked thread