Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Of course it depends on the cat.

In my case, we got an older cat fresh out of college. It wasn't lonely, but had a TON of energy. 4 years later we got a kitten, as I quit my job and was going to night school. Someone was home almost 24/7. We could only get 1 kitten because of the 2 pet limit, standard in this area.

The kitten was infatuated with the cat. Cat wanted nothing to do with the kitten. 8 years of "OMG play with me cat!" "No, gently caress you kitten!" Seriously, 8 years of the younger wanting to play but the older one not wanting to (well, not often at least). The dominance battles were brutal.

Now we picked up another 2 kittens. (Someone is home 24/7). These 2 kittens spend all day long playing with each other, ignoring the 2 older cats (for the most part). It's great for the kittens as they have a constant playmate. It's great for the cats, because they don't have an annoying kitten begging for attention.

I feel so bad for my middle cat now. I really wish we could have an another kitten at that time for her to play with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats
There was a thread a while back the had a website with quality, inexpensive kitty condos. I am in the market! Anyone have the link?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

dAPER posted:

There was a thread a while back the had a website with quality, inexpensive kitty condos. I am in the market! Anyone have the link?

armarkat to the rescue!

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

drat Bananas posted:

Not always. We adopted 2 6-week old kittens from the same litter from the shelter, and gradually over the years they just started despising each other. And not the "I guess I'll tolerate you, but don't get too near me" kind. The male was a hissing yowling puffed up demon cat attacking the poo poo out of his complete pushover sister. It got so bad that he would back her into a cabinet and would not let her leave or he'd attack her. :( We ended up having to separate them on opposite ends of the house, after all of the vet's checkups and suggestions didn't work.

Not to say that getting 2 cats is bad! Just know that sometimes it doesn't work out... As soon as I'm in a new pets-allowed apartment my pushover girl is coming with me. (Actually I've been meaning to talk to my roommates, explaining the circumstances back home, and see if they'd mind me bringing her in anyway...) Being shut off in a couple connected bedrooms/bathrooms is no way to live :(

Obviously there are exceptions to everything however cats do better in pairs, especially if you are at the beginning stages of adopting.

HondaCivet posted:

Thanks guys, you bring up good points. I admit that if someone else wrote my post I'd be wary too. The situation is less-than-ideal of course but we are committed to making sure the cat is well-cared for. The main obstacle will be that we're going to go to grad school after undergrad but he is going to work for awhile first so we will have some savings built up. I've been intending to have pets as soon as I felt I was able so I am more than willing to take the extra time and effort to find pet-friendly housing after our lease is up. At least in this town, it hasn't been very difficult to find cat-friendly places. A lot of places don't even charge extra for them. I honestly don't really even understand the people that give up their cats when they move, is it really that hard in some cities to find cat-friendly rentals?

I was curious about getting two cats . . . We were thinking one for now since the apartment we want isn't terribly big, but we'd rather have two happy ones than one lonely one so we'd consider it if we get one and he/she seems lonely or bored. Does the one/two thing just depend on the cat? The shelters around here also have cats that are listed as wanting to live alone so we could do that too, although we'd rather not close off the option of getting more pets down the road.

2 cats in a small apartment is really no different than one cat. They pretty much take up the same amount of space and prefer to actually have vertical space over horizontal space. So if you give them places to climb they'll be happy as hell. It would be easier on you if you got them together so you don't have to do the introduction thing. Bonded pairs at shelters are really really hard to place so you'd be a huge help to them and the cats. If you want two eventually within a year like that no reason to not start out with two. They'll adjust better and be happier with the company. Especially if you get younger cats that are full of energy and plan to be out often during the day they'll be able to entertain and stimulate each other.

Sometimes cats that are listed as 'doesn't get alone with other cats' can mean that the previous owners didn't understand how cats play and assumed they were fighting. Sometimes it does mean they prefer to be alone. If you were going to want cats in the future don't get one listed as 'single cat household' just in case.

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009
I'm moving in with my partner soon. I have one cat, Satchmo, that I adopted a few months ago. Satchmo's adoption information indicated that he's good with other cats, but I took in a stray shortly after I brought him home and this caused much anxiety for Satch. The stray has since been adopted out.

Satchmo has anxiety issues. One of my goals in life, now, is to keep Satchmo as calm as possible. I imagine the move will be stressful on him. How do I make it the least stressful?

When I get home from work, though, I always find Satchmo wandering around the apartment meowing. That tragic "WHY DID YOU LEAVE ME?!" meow. I make sure to give him lots of attention as soon as I get home (and in general), but I wonder if having me gone for 10 hours a day is upsetting to him. I feel like he's lonely, but I'm hesitant to get another cat because I don't know if they'll get on. That said, the stray I took in was very active, and liked to pounce on Satchmo. He pretty much never hissed at her, and they could lie on the bed together and chill out without it being a problem, but as soon as she poked at him he'd flip out.

I'm hoping that having two people in the household will help him to not feel as lonely. But I also wonder if I should look into getting him a buddy, one who isn't going to poke at him. If this isn't a terrible idea, then my question becomes: should I bring this cat home at the same time as I move into the new apartment (so it's neutral territory for both of them), or should I give Satches some time to acclimatize himself to the new home before I bring in a new cat?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

KilGrey posted:

Obviously there are exceptions to everything however cats do better in pairs, especially if you are at the beginning stages of adopting.

2 cats in a small apartment is really no different than one cat. They pretty much take up the same amount of space and prefer to actually have vertical space over horizontal space. So if you give them places to climb they'll be happy as hell. It would be easier on you if you got them together so you don't have to do the introduction thing. Bonded pairs at shelters are really really hard to place so you'd be a huge help to them and the cats. If you want two eventually within a year like that no reason to not start out with two. They'll adjust better and be happier with the company. Especially if you get younger cats that are full of energy and plan to be out often during the day they'll be able to entertain and stimulate each other.

Sometimes cats that are listed as 'doesn't get alone with other cats' can mean that the previous owners didn't understand how cats play and assumed they were fighting. Sometimes it does mean they prefer to be alone. If you were going to want cats in the future don't get one listed as 'single cat household' just in case.

Now I am feeling more sold on the two cat thing . . . It's too hard to choose just one anyway, haha. We went to a few shelters yesterday and didn't see any bonded pairs though. Are they very common? What if we can't find one, how would we match up two cats? Maybe getting two from the same shelter would help since they've probably at least smelled each other before?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

bee soup posted:

I'm hoping that having two people in the household will help him to not feel as lonely. But I also wonder if I should look into getting him a buddy, one who isn't going to poke at him. If this isn't a terrible idea, then my question becomes: should I bring this cat home at the same time as I move into the new apartment (so it's neutral territory for both of them), or should I give Satches some time to acclimatize himself to the new home before I bring in a new cat?

I don't think there is a clear cut answer for this. But my gut says to let Satchmo get used to the new home first. Baby steps and all.

We moved recently with our two cats. It took them only 2 days to come out from "their room" and about 2 weeks to be "normal" again. 3 months later, we brought in 2 kittens. The eldest cat took roughly 2-3 weeks to acclimate to them. The middle cat is now, at 5 weeks, where the other cat was at 1 week. So my anecdotal evidence suggests it varies by cat.

HondaCivet posted:

Now I am feeling more sold on the two cat thing . . . It's too hard to choose just one anyway, haha. We went to a few shelters yesterday and didn't see any bonded pairs though. Are they very common? What if we can't find one, how would we match up two cats? Maybe getting two from the same shelter would help since they've probably at least smelled each other before?

Have you looked at Petfinder or Craigslist? Where I live, foreclosures are forcing many people to rehome their cats, many of them bonded pairs that luuuv each other. People are trying to avoid shelters where their babies might get separated. Petfinder has rescues that often do courtesy listings for these people. Also, did you talk to any shelter people? At least here, 60+% of the available cats are in foster homes, and not out on display. Have you considered fostering? If I could go back in time, I think I would go this route. I'd love a revolving door of kitties, only leaving because they found a *better* home.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Meow Cadet posted:

Have you looked at Petfinder or Craigslist? Where I live, foreclosures are forcing many people to rehome their cats, many of them bonded pairs that luuuv each other. People are trying to avoid shelters where their babies might get separated. Petfinder has rescues that often do courtesy listings for these people. Also, did you talk to any shelter people? At least here, 60+% of the available cats are in foster homes, and not out on display. Have you considered fostering? If I could go back in time, I think I would go this route. I'd love a revolving door of kitties, only leaving because they found a *better* home.

I looked around, there are a few pairs here and there on Craigslist. Not sure how'd you find them on Petfinder, would they be in a single listing? Calling the shelters is a good idea, thanks for that.

I was looking on Craigslist, there are a few pairs but a lot of people ask for a "rehoming fee" . . . I can see asking for some money in order to deter pet hoarders or whatever but on the other hand I hope people aren't just selling their cats. Is this normal? If so, what is a reasonable fee? If I'm going to be paying a fee I'd rather have it go to a shelter than some jerk dumping their cats but I'll deal if it's just part of the market.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Craigslist can be dicey, and I'd only look there as a last resort if you live in BFE where there aren't many cat rescues/shelters. However, if a cat is up to date on shots, spayed/neutered, and comes with all accessories (litter box, food, toys, etc.) I wouldn't begrudge a small rehomeing fee of $50 or so. I'd never concider paying a fee for a stray cat that just showed up, or an oopsie litter of kittens.

A rescue has the added bonus of allowing you to return the cat at any time, even years down the road when you are stricken with cancer and can't care for your pets anymore. Small things like this help me sleep at night when things get rough. The last thing I want to think about in a time of badness is finding a good home for my cats.

On the other hand, lots of good decent people end up unable to take care of their pets. It's not a crime, and you might be able to help them out.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

HondaCivet posted:

I looked around, there are a few pairs here and there on Craigslist. Not sure how'd you find them on Petfinder, would they be in a single listing? Calling the shelters is a good idea, thanks for that.

I was looking on Craigslist, there are a few pairs but a lot of people ask for a "rehoming fee" . . . I can see asking for some money in order to deter pet hoarders or whatever but on the other hand I hope people aren't just selling their cats. Is this normal? If so, what is a reasonable fee? If I'm going to be paying a fee I'd rather have it go to a shelter than some jerk dumping their cats but I'll deal if it's just part of the market.

Maybe offer to pay the total cost of the litter box, extra litter, and bag of food if they give those up with the cats? That way no one profits and still deters wackos looking for cats.

e: note to self, refresh page before replying

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif
The wife and I are considering getting a dog, a Miniature Schnauzer to be 95% precise and I would just like to make sure we've covered all of our bases before we jump the gun.

We have a house, with a good sized yard for the little guy to run about in, and we are aware of the time involved and costs of vaccinations and "upkeep". Our lives and schedules (other than the regular 9 to 5) are not hectic, and I work close enough to home to take care of the dog during lunch hour.

We do have a few questions:
  • There are a few (4-5) dogs in our neighborhood, 2 or so are still moderately young but all are males. Is there an issue with dominance?
  • I've read that shelters are the place to go, just for clarity's sake however, could I have some reasons why/why not.
  • What are some good books or sites to read on training/ownership
  • Are there some things I should know about the breed? Any things I may have missed considering?

Thanks for the help.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

drat Bananas posted:

Maybe offer to pay the total cost of the litter box, extra litter, and bag of food if they give those up with the cats? That way no one profits and still deters wackos looking for cats.

e: note to self, refresh page before replying

Yeah, several of them offer all the toys and litter boxes and junk. Then a rehoming fee seems fair. Otherwise it's probably best to avoid them?

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

HondaCivet posted:

Yeah, several of them offer all the toys and litter boxes and junk. Then a rehoming fee seems fair. Otherwise it's probably best to avoid them?
Only for moral reasons. The animals themselves are probably fine. It just sucks to reward irresponsible people.

slipfish posted:

The wife and I are considering getting a dog, a Miniature Schnauzer to be 95% precise and I would just like to make sure we've covered all of our bases before we jump the gun.

We have a house, with a good sized yard for the little guy to run about in, and we are aware of the time involved and costs of vaccinations and "upkeep". Our lives and schedules (other than the regular 9 to 5) are not hectic, and I work close enough to home to take care of the dog during lunch hour.

• There are a few (4-5) dogs in our neighborhood, 2 or so are still moderately young but all are males. Is there an issue with dominance?
  • I've read that shelters are the place to go, just for clarity's sake however, could I have some reasons why/why not.
  • Are there some things I should know about the breed? Any things I may have missed considering?

Thanks for the help.

Shelters are great, because there are so many 'unwanted' dogs that need homes. My county shelter alone kills about 1000 animals a month. These are not 'broken' animals, just simply animals without a home.

Since you are attracted to a particular breed, look for a breed rescue. These people often 'rescue' purebred, or strongly mixed dogs from kill shelters from allover the state/region. These animals end up in the shelters, because the original owners bought the puppy from a newspaper ad (or something similar) and were not properly screened/educated on how to be a proper owner.

The downside to a shelter dog is that you don't know its pedigree. This can be a problem with regards to genetic disorders, and showmanship. If you want a show dog, go to a reputable breeder. If you want a well bred dog, true to breed and with little health problems, you want a reputable breeder.

A reputable breeder will do health checks (far beyond a vet check) of the parents before breeding. You will pay much more for a reputably bred dog (un-reputable breeders will also charge as much if not more, so price is not an indication of quality) but in theory you save that much in the long run by avoiding health problems.

tl;dr - Go shelter to save money up front, and make the moral choice. Go reputable breeder if you want a dog true to breed, and to avoid common health problems. Beware BYBs that look like reputable breeders.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

HondaCivet posted:

Like Meow said, talk to the people there because they often have cats out in foster homes. Often with bonded pairs they are there awhile because no one will take two of them so they go to a foster home to open up space. Petfinder.com is a good place to go too. I'm sure you'll be able to find a pair. What city do you live in?

bee soup posted:

Satchmo has anxiety issues. One of my goals in life, now, is to keep Satchmo as calm as possible. I imagine the move will be stressful on him. How do I make it the least stressful?

Yeah, baby steps is the way to go with Satch. I wouldn't surprise me if he did well with a buddy in time after he's settled into the new home and all the anxiety stuff is worked out or a lot better. He was having a rough go of it for awhile, give him time to just be a stable cat. When you think you are ready to try to introduce another cat what you can do is join up with a shelters foster program. That way you can see how it works out and if it does, you can adopt the cat yourself. If it doesn't things are already in place to get the kitty a new home or you can have them place it in a different foster home.

slipfish posted:

Thanks for the help.

What Meow said. Are you wanting a puppy or a dog that's a little older? There is nothing wrong with going to a breeder for a dog just make sure they are reputable. Plenty of people would be happy to help you find one and/or let you know what to look for if that's the road you want to go down. If you just want a Miniature Schnauzer for a pet purposes (you don't want to show) and don't mind it not being a puppy it's just much easier, cheaper and more helpful to the dogs that already exist/those that have to shelter them to go to a shelter or breed specific rescue.

As far as dominance, that isn't something you can tell without fist getting a dog. If you rescue a dog you'll know what sort of temperament it will have because the rescue will have worked with the dog and tested it. When you get a puppy the personality isn't set yet and will change as it grows so it's a crap shoot. Neutering your dog will help a lot with aggression and make the dog more sociable as well as all the other health benefits. Dominance isn't a bad thing you just need to know how to train and work with it. Always make sure he or she is on a leash when outside of your yard.

As far as if you missed anything, that's hard to say because we don't know what you have already learned. :) Why don't you start with what sort of dog you are looking for as far as temperament? Energy? Personality etc? Why did you settle on a Miniature Schnauzer and what makes you feel it will be a good fit for your home?

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

KilGrey posted:

Like Meow said, talk to the people there because they often have cats out in foster homes. Often with bonded pairs they are there awhile because no one will take two of them so they go to a foster home to open up space. Petfinder.com is a good place to go too. I'm sure you'll be able to find a pair. What city do you live in?

Madison, WI. Is anyone here familiar with the scene there?

m0rrin
Dec 30, 2006

Saw an ad for these guys while browsing PI http://www.sapphireyes.biz/index.html and I couldn't find anything on their site about health testing, or showing. Are they legit? Cute cats :(

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

m0rrin posted:

Saw an ad for these guys while browsing PI http://www.sapphireyes.biz/index.html and I couldn't find anything on their site about health testing, or showing. Are they legit? Cute cats :(
I am far from an expert. But to me, they look like your run of the mill BYB. Sure, they're cute cats, but no cuter than any other DLH in a shelter. OK, so they have a pedigree, big whoop-de-doo. Their cats seem to be products of champions, not champions themselves. Way to go lack of effort!

A common long haired cat from a shelter that was spayed/neutered and UTD on shots would be a better bet than one of these kittens. Probably $100s cheaper too. (although I admit I didn't investigate every page of their site)

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

HondaCivet posted:

I searched for 'bonded pair cats' in your area and got this craigslist posting: http://madison.craigslist.org/pet/1218343115.html

It looks like it's a rescue who put up the add. If you don't like those cats I'm sure you could call/email them about if they have any others.

Here is the Dane County Humane Society: http://www.giveshelter.org/sitemgr/
Give them a call and ask if they have any bonded pairs.

If you go to https://www.petfinder.com and put in cats and your city/state it will pull up a bunch of cats. Click on the links and call/email the different rescues hosting them and ask them about bonded pairs.

Like we said, they have a very difficult time finding homes for bonded pairs so anyone who goes in asking about them I'm sure they'd be thrilled to help.

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

HondaCivet posted:

The Dane County Humane society often gets in bonded pairs, but doesn't keep them together because they're harder to place. If you call and ask, instead of asking for bonded pairs ask for "cats who came in together whom you'd like to see go home together".

They also have a basketball for adoption!

Check with these guys too. I do transport for them, they often pull animals from other county shelters if they have a potential adoptive home lined up.

If you're up for a road trip, you might be interested in checking out the Milwaukee Humane Society. It's actually worth a stop just to see it if you're in the area, it's one of the nicest and most well-funded shelters I've ever seen.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

alucinor posted:

The Dane County Humane society often gets in bonded pairs, but doesn't keep them together because they're harder to place. If you call and ask, instead of asking for bonded pairs ask for "cats who came in together whom you'd like to see go home together".

They also have a basketball for adoption!

Check with these guys too. I do transport for them, they often pull animals from other county shelters if they have a potential adoptive home lined up.

If you're up for a road trip, you might be interested in checking out the Milwaukee Humane Society. It's actually worth a stop just to see it if you're in the area, it's one of the nicest and most well-funded shelters I've ever seen.

Great advice! I wasn't familiar with Shelter from the Storm, I will have to check them out.

Kinda off-topic but could you tell me more about the transporting you do for SftS? I heard about that sort of volunteering the other day and it sounds fun. You can just PM me about it if you have plat.

Edit: Adding another question to this post: Is there a thread somewhere where different brands/types of cat litter are compared and discussed?

HondaCivet fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 29, 2009

Salacious R. Crumb
Feb 15, 2009

KilGrey posted:

Yeah, baby steps is the way to go with Satch. I wouldn't surprise me if he did well with a buddy in time after he's settled into the new home and all the anxiety stuff is worked out or a lot better. He was having a rough go of it for awhile, give him time to just be a stable cat. When you think you are ready to try to introduce another cat what you can do is join up with a shelters foster program. That way you can see how it works out and if it does, you can adopt the cat yourself. If it doesn't things are already in place to get the kitty a new home or you can have them place it in a different foster home.
I think you're probably right. He's been doing so much better lately, and he's finally comfortable enough to expose his belly for scritches. :3: But I know that the move is probably going to cause him to regress for a little bit, and the added stress of a new cat probably isn't wise right away.

One more cat question: He seems to gulp a lot. Like, often when he swallows, there's an audible 'gulp'. He's not gasping for air (he doesn't open his mouth), but it's like he's swallowing a thick liquid or something. And he'll often stretch his neck up and shake his head and droplets of clear liquid (mucous?) will go everywhere. He doesn't sneeze, though, just shakes his head. Also, he vomits maybe once every two weeks, but never a hair ball (usually a small amount of food, or just foamy liquid). He sometimes (maybe once every few days to a week?) crouches very low and stretches out his neck, and coughs like he's going to hair ball it up, but doesn't, and this passes after 30 seconds to a minute. Does this sound too much like feline asthma? Or something else? Or am I just being neurotic?

It's possibly relevant to note that in the time he was at the shelter before I adopted him (3 months) he was treated three times for URIs, which seems like a lot (even though I know URI is really common in shelters). He's eating and drinking normally, and he snores. I'll be calling my vet about this tomorrow to see if they think it's worth going in for, but since he's had pretty constant problems since I brought him home, this never seemed as important as the other issues he was having, and didn't occur to me to bring up.

Thanks again, PI! :buddy:

if wishes were knishes
Mar 5, 2006

Hi I'm Buddy-dot-gif

Meow Cadet posted:

tl;dr - Go shelter to save money up front, and make the moral choice. Go reputable breeder if you want a dog true to breed, and to avoid common health problems. Beware BYBs that look like reputable breeders.
Thanks for this, narrows down the search. It seems morally correct to get one from the shelter, however we do want a puppy. Is the shelter then still a viable option?

KilGrey posted:

What Meow said. Are you wanting a puppy or a dog that's a little older? There is nothing wrong with going to a breeder for a dog just make sure they are reputable. Plenty of people would be happy to help you find one and/or let you know what to look for if that's the road you want to go down. If you just want a Miniature Schnauzer for a pet purposes (you don't want to show) and don't mind it not being a puppy it's just much easier, cheaper and more helpful to the dogs that already exist/those that have to shelter them to go to a shelter or breed specific rescue.
Just looking for a house pet, not into shows.

KilGrey posted:

As far as if you missed anything, that's hard to say because we don't know what you have already learned. :) Why don't you start with what sort of dog you are looking for as far as temperament? Energy? Personality etc? Why did you settle on a Miniature Schnauzer and what makes you feel it will be a good fit for your home?
We're looking for a dog that will be good with children (eventually) with a friendly personality and a moderate amount of energy but can still "chill" when the time comes. The wife had a miniature schnauzer growing up and claims that the dog was moderately mellow but still had good energy and didn't bark often (when it did, it was a deeper bark, not "yippy") Are these schnauzer-like qualities, or was her family dog some sort of abnormal schnauzer?

We had both decided that we didn't want a larger dog and have somewhat decided on the schnauzer, though are open to other options.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
You can find puppies in shelters, but they go faster so you'd probably have better luck with a schnauzer rescue. It may be difficult anyway, but if you get frustrated because you can't find any and still really really want a puppy you could start looking at breeders. A great starting point is the national breed club, and they have local clubs listed there too. PI is always happy to review any breeder you could throw at us. :)

Schnauzers are barkers by nature, if there is a squirrel in your yard you will not hear the end of it. They are pretty gogogo! too, being terriers... If you want mellow I wouldn't suggest a puppy of any breed though :P

My family has had tons of schnauzers over the years, they're pretty fun and tend to have hilarious personalities :)

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Can anyone give me some recommendations on a really basic dremel for trimming nails? This is the one I was looking at.

It doesn't have to be very powerful since I'm just going to be using it on my ferrets, since they've both gotten really, inexplicably bad about having their nails done with actual clippers lately. Also, I am basically furniture to them, and it takes several days for the nails to smooth over after being clipped, so I spend 3/4ths of the time being scratched to hell by either freshly-clipped and still-jagged claws or just really long claws. D:

So yeah. Just wondering if the one I'm looking at has any obvious flaws that would rule it out, or if there's another, better one with a comparable price.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I think the major flaw with the pedipaw is that you can ONLY use it for nail trimming. Why not get a regular dremel?

evelynevvie
Sep 14, 2004

I'll fry you like a fritter! Crispy on the outside... chewy on the inside!!!

I was lurking in the puppy megathread prep-thread, and saw mention that PI does not like the humane society. Why is this?

e: hurf durf I shouldn't post when I'm half giddy with insomnia. Thanks for the replies!

evelynevvie fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 30, 2009

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

evelynevvie posted:

I was lurking in the puppy megathread prep-thread, and saw mention that PI does not like the human society. Why is this?

Because human society confuses the average basement-cave dwelling goon. :eng101:

More seriously, I'm pretty sure many people in PI dislike the HSUS because they seized 150 pit bulls and instead of individually evaluated the dogs to see if any could be placed for adoption they simply went and euthanized them all.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

SA does not like HSUS for the same reasons we don't like PETA (which they are an offshoot of) and for several more:

They collect money for various specific events (katrina, the vick pit bulls, etc) and then don't use the money for that purpose. In face they have been (and I believe are currently being) sued for this.

They pretend to be pro-pit bull but actually support a number of very anti-pit things, including forced sterilization of ALL pits, including those used for working and show (which is an acceptable reason to keep an animal intact for EVERY OTHER BREED). In some cases they have actually proposed breed specific bans against pits, despite the fact that such bans have been shown to be completely ineffective or (worse) counterproductive.

They use their name to pretend to be associated with you local humane societies (and pretend in many commercials to help support those shelters, which they do NOT do) and collect lots of money. That money appears to be mostly going into paying people at the HSUS, not to help animals. It's hard to tell because they refuse to be upfront in disclosing how they spend their money.

HSUS opposes greyhound racing, regardless of how well run the tracks may be, and ignoring the fact that the main reason the greyhound exists today (and continues to be quite healthy) is because of those tracks.

There are more, but that should give you an idea. HSUS is an animal RIGHTS group, not an animal WELFARE group. PI is (in general) pro-animal welfare and anti-animal rights (google the two things and you should be able to figure out why).

Fame Throwa
Nov 3, 2007

Time to make all the decisions!
How do you get dogs to stop rolling in poo poo? I know its in their nature but I'm sick of having to clean my dumb dogs at least once a week.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Meow Cadet posted:

I think the major flaw with the pedipaw is that you can ONLY use it for nail trimming. Why not get a regular dremel?

Do you mean like an all-purpose rotary tool? I looked at some of those, but to get one that's actually worth getting plus the attachment for pet nails would be more than I'm willing to spend when all I'm looking for is something for their nails. It's simply something I don't need and I don't see myself needing for a long time, if ever, so there's no point in me spending the extra money.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Serella posted:

Can anyone give me some recommendations on a really basic dremel for trimming nails? This is the one I was looking at.

It doesn't have to be very powerful since I'm just going to be using it on my ferrets, since they've both gotten really, inexplicably bad about having their nails done with actual clippers lately. Also, I am basically furniture to them, and it takes several days for the nails to smooth over after being clipped, so I spend 3/4ths of the time being scratched to hell by either freshly-clipped and still-jagged claws or just really long claws. D:

So yeah. Just wondering if the one I'm looking at has any obvious flaws that would rule it out, or if there's another, better one with a comparable price.

Those pedipaw things SUCK, don't buy one. While you're at it, don't buy anything cordless, I know you said it's only for ferrets, but they really have no power behind them at all, and they're pretty cheap design when you can buy something that's a lot better quality that's still cheap. Look around various pet supply websites, you'll find something you like. :)

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.
So I've got another flea question. My mother got a couple of those house foggers to try and bomb the place. They are Hartz brand. I know that harts flea and tick drops and collars are not healthy and I told her that, she told me that the ingredient in the fogger was the same as the other brands. Are we all going to die if I use the fogger? If we shouldn't use it, what would be a better kind to get?

Insta-Update: I found this:

quote:

Most flea bombs contain permethrin, a chemical dangerous for cats. There is a chance a cat will ingest the insecticide
Does this mean I shoudln't use any type of fogger? I am so confused.

Fleas suck.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

WolfensteinBag posted:

Those pedipaw things SUCK, don't buy one. While you're at it, don't buy anything cordless, I know you said it's only for ferrets, but they really have no power behind them at all, and they're pretty cheap design when you can buy something that's a lot better quality that's still cheap. Look around various pet supply websites, you'll find something you like. :)

Thanks, that's the kind of info I was looking for. :) Thanks for the recommendation!

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?
So today I found (what I think is) a Dog Tick on my orange Pomeranian, Kami.

According to:

I read that they can carry viral disease and are generally nasty. I sprayed the yard with bayer flea and tick killer and they are doe for flea stuff in a few days. Is it ok to apply a little early? Do I need to take them to a vet? I haven't found any other ticks on any of them but on the poms its kind of a trick o dig through all that hair. What other precautions can I take? I found the tick crawling across her face just after they had gone out, if that matters.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
how much does she weigh? what flea and tick treatment do you use on her and what dose did you give her last and on what day? A call to the vet can confirm if it's safe to reapply or not. for right this second start going over her with a flea comb, see if you find anything. (IMO)

The Anal Pirate
Jul 8, 2008

Who the hell are you to judge me!?

ChairmanMeow posted:

how much does she weigh? what flea and tick treatment do you use on her and what dose did you give her last and on what day? A call to the vet can confirm if it's safe to reapply or not. for right this second start going over her with a flea comb, see if you find anything. (IMO)

She weighs about 12 pounds. We use K9 Advantix or whatever that stuff is called, but the vet is now recommending some stuff you mix in a spray bottle and spray them with. I can't recall the name, but we still have some Advantix left. I will call the vet today and see what he says, I already sprayed the yard once this year, so I am still a little worried even though I did it again yesterday.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
How do I get my dogs to drink more water?!

It's almost 40 out and my dogs have literally been melting for the last few days and even though i've littered the yard with bowls of (cold) water they refuse to drink more then a sip every now and then. I worry about them, i've been mixing up their feed with some water just to get them hydrated but is there anything else I can do?

Am I overreacting? I just get worried when I get home from work and they havn't touched the water.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
Do they like ice? Our dogs love to eat ice, they think it's some fantastic treat and we'll freeze huge chunks of it in cool-whip containers and give to them on hot days. They go crazy on it.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Affi posted:

How do I get my dogs to drink more water?!

It's almost 40 out and my dogs have literally been melting for the last few days and even though i've littered the yard with bowls of (cold) water they refuse to drink more then a sip every now and then. I worry about them, i've been mixing up their feed with some water just to get them hydrated but is there anything else I can do?

Am I overreacting? I just get worried when I get home from work and they havn't touched the water.

Are they still peeing regularly?

Have you done a skin pinch test? Grab the skin at the scruff of your dog's neck, and pull the skin upwards, basically making a skin tent. Release the skin, and watch to see how long the skin takes to return to normal. A severely dehydrated dog's skin will stick in that tent formation. A moderately dehydrated dog's skin will sort of slowly ooze back to normal, taking a few seconds at least. A healthy, hydrated dog's skin will flatten out almost immediately. If you're unsure of what you're seeing, try it on a friend's dog that you know is healthy and compare. You can also check your dog's gums; dry is bad. If you press your finger on their gums, how long does it take for the gums to re-pink? Immediately is good, several seconds is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The Anal Pirate posted:

So today I found (what I think is) a Dog Tick on my orange Pomeranian, Kami.

According to:

I read that they can carry viral disease and are generally nasty. I sprayed the yard with bayer flea and tick killer and they are doe for flea stuff in a few days. Is it ok to apply a little early? Do I need to take them to a vet? I haven't found any other ticks on any of them but on the poms its kind of a trick o dig through all that hair. What other precautions can I take? I found the tick crawling across her face just after they had gone out, if that matters.

As long as you find the tick before it attaches, you're generally okay. Most diseases take awhile to transfer from tick to host. I would just suggest doing a tick check when they come in.