Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Wiki says Speed Racer is set in 2108, but thats the only place I've seen a year referenced. I guess we can just assume it's set in some weird alternate world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

itrorev posted:

Wiki says Speed Racer is set in 2108, but thats the only place I've seen a year referenced. I guess we can just assume it's set in some weird alternate world.

That really doesn't make sense because a big part of the story is how Speed was told that the 43 Grand Prix was fixed and whenever they show footage of it its all sepia toned and they're driving old fashioned cars. And the guys who were in that race are the announcers for the big end of movie Grand Prix.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

muscles like this? posted:

That really doesn't make sense because a big part of the story is how Speed was told that the 43 Grand Prix was fixed and whenever they show footage of it its all sepia toned and they're driving old fashioned cars. And the guys who were in that race are the announcers for the big end of movie Grand Prix.

I just figured it was set in a fantasy world. For all intents and purposes it's set in modern day, just not in our world.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's set in another place, another time.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Could someone explain the end of The Departed to me? Specifically why Mark Walberg shot Matt Damon? Did he get ahold of the evidence tape somehow? Was it just some petty revenge thing?

Granted, I haven't seen the movie in quite some time, so I could be forgetting some major plot point...

Also, what was up with all the various unconventional scene transitions in Star Wars? Like the wipe and the closing circle thing? Was it a throw back to the Flash Gordon-type genre, or did George just think they were neat-lookin'?

Ortsacras
Feb 11, 2008
12/17/00 Never Forget

Crowetron posted:

Could someone explain the end of The Departed to me? Specifically why Mark Walberg shot Matt Damon? Did he get ahold of the evidence tape somehow?

Either that, or he just asked "who benefits" like he'd been taught and figured it out himself.

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
I just assumed Leo instructed the shrink to give Wahlberg the tape if anything happened to him.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

/\/\/\

Both those answers make sense. I'm not usually that dense about films, but the jarring Leo death scene probably had me plenty distracted.

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the Halo movie? Was there some specific reason it got canned, or did someone along the line just realize that video game movies suck and nixed the project?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Crowetron posted:

While I'm asking questions, whatever happened to the Halo movie? Was there some specific reason it got canned, or did someone along the line just realize that video game movies suck and nixed the project?

The budget was rapidly escalating out of control (I'm pretty sure it was upwards of $150 million at the time the project was canceled, possibly near $200 million), and then FOX and Universal took a look at the project, had never been confident in Neil Blomkamp (Peter Jackson's hand-picked director) and figured the potential return on the investment was not good. It was quietly shut down, and is, for all intents and purposes, dead.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Crowetron posted:

It came to a point where one of the two parties involved, Microsoft and the production company, had to pay the other something like $5-10M as part of keeping the process going. For some reason I want to say that it was MS who was reluctant, but basically one of the parties involved just looked at it and decided it wasn't worth it to keep going with it.

Basically somebody had a moment of clarity when I came down to putting money on the line.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, purely a money thing, huh? Too bad, I was hoping it was the first step towards a universal ban of video game movies.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Crowetron posted:

So, purely a money thing, huh? Too bad, I was hoping it was the first step towards a universal ban of video game movies.

You can make your arguments that when it looks like one of the best-selling game franchises in memory begins to look like a bad investment, that it should start ushering out the game movies...

... But Hitman 2 just got greenlit.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Unfortunately none of the video games that WOULD make for good movie adaptations will ever be done, because the games aren't wildly popular enough. Hollywood has forgotten that just making a good movie with a good story gets as many people in the seats as making a poo poo movie for an established fanbase.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

I've got a question about The Wrestler, or rather something that's just been bugging me. Right before the fight at the end, Randy is given a microphone (without asking for it) and allowed to give an uplifting speech to the crowd, and I can't figure out why this happens. His opponent doesn't get to speak, nobody else speaks, and it feels like it happens with no setup. I watched it again recently, thinking that I'd just missed something, but it was actually just more jarring.

Basically I'm asking, is there a reason given in the movie as to why he gets to make that speech? Because if it's supposed to be spontaneous, then it plays out very oddly.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Dark Weasel posted:

I've got a question about The Wrestler, or rather something that's just been bugging me. Right before the fight at the end, Randy is given a microphone (without asking for it) and allowed to give an uplifting speech to the crowd, and I can't figure out why this happens. His opponent doesn't get to speak, nobody else speaks, and it feels like it happens with no setup. I watched it again recently, thinking that I'd just missed something, but it was actually just more jarring.

Basically I'm asking, is there a reason given in the movie as to why he gets to make that speech? Because if it's supposed to be spontaneous, then it plays out very oddly.

Well I just assumed because it was a big rematch fight and he's the hero of the two, so naturally he'd be given the chance to talk and the Sheik wouldn't.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

bananasinpajamas posted:

Well I just assumed because it was a big rematch fight and he's the hero of the two, so naturally he'd be given the chance to talk and the Sheik wouldn't.

It just seemed strange that he's automatically defaulted as the hero in the context of the fight. I mean, yeah, it makes sense to the film's audience because we've been watching him for two hours, but I felt like it made things uneven for the fight itself.

Maybe I don't watch enough wrestling? I just think the scene would play a whole lot better if he at least gestured for the mic, or something. It sticks out to me because for a movie that did a whole lot of things differently than the norm, that scene feels so, I guess, generically dramatic.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowetron posted:

You're crazy. Halo by Blomkamp and Jackson could have been epic. Hopefully if District 9 is a success it will put the project back on the table.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

You're crazy. Halo by Blomkamp and Jackson could have been epic. Hopefully if District 9 is a success it will put the project back on the table.

Problem is Blomkamp in his shorts has shown amazing prowess for effects, but doesn't tell a story in any of them.

I doubt District 9 will be a success.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Dark Weasel posted:

It just seemed strange that he's automatically defaulted as the hero in the context of the fight. I mean, yeah, it makes sense to the film's audience because we've been watching him for two hours, but I felt like it made things uneven for the fight itself.

It was pretty obvious that the character he played was a Hulk Hogan type and the guy he was wrestling as an Iron Sheik type bad guy.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"

NeuroticErotica posted:

Success with whom? Not for nothing but District 9 looks like it can pretty cool, if he achieves good critic response, and grosses more than budget with good DVD sales, I kind of agree with Thodt, it could make studios think twice about the Jackson/Blomkamp team up. Halo doesn't exactly have a super-complicated story, it would have to be an action/fx driven type of movie anyway.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeuroticErotica posted:

Problem is Blomkamp in his shorts has shown amazing prowess for effects, but doesn't tell a story in any of them.

Doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing so. Admittedly I don't know much about District 9 so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

Unfortunately none of the video games that WOULD make for good movie adaptations will ever be done, because the games aren't wildly popular enough. Hollywood has forgotten that just making a good movie with a good story gets as many people in the seats as making a poo poo movie for an established fanbase.

They're trying to make a Bioshock movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

They're trying to make a Bioshock movie.

Yes, but that has Gore Verbinski behind it. The studio can at least look at that and go "he made Disney about two billion dollars with a series of movies based on a loving ride, I'm sure he can take this video game and make a successful film out of it". They would have greenlit Halo if Jackson had said "yeah, I'll direct it". But he didn't, he found a kid just out of film school and tried to make him director of a gigantic summer tentpole project. I wouldn't be too trustworthy of the idea, either.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think you're missing what I was pointing out. Contrary to what MANIFEST DESTINY said, a studio is trying to make an adaption of a game that would make a good movie and that's because of its wide success. It's not as if they're handing Verbinski a copy of Velvet Assassin and saying "Hey you did good with those pirate movies, make something from this!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Cameo posted:

Yes, but that has Gore Verbinski behind it.

Had.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

doctor thodt posted:

Doesn't mean he isn't capable of doing so. Admittedly I don't know much about District 9 so I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

That's kinda like saying that because a Quarterback has been unable to throw a pass that he isn't capable of doing so.

Short film is where you both learn and showcase your storytelling skills as a filmmaker. They may be pretty films, but they should get him hired as SFX supervisor, as that's what they showcase. If I was a major studio, hell if I was anybody putting fifty bucks into a film, with his track record I'd be wary.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Crowetron posted:

Also, what was up with all the various unconventional scene transitions in Star Wars? Like the wipe and the closing circle thing? Was it a throw back to the Flash Gordon-type genre, or did George just think they were neat-lookin'?

I think it's an homage to Kurosawa who used them in "The Hidden Fortress", the movie which Lucas cites as being one of the most influential to "Star Wars".

Pman5000
Feb 4, 2003

"You're so fuckin' money and you don't even know it"
Does anyone know the title of a movie about a Redneck guy that trains to be a Ninja. I saw the movie a few years ago and I can not remember the title for the life of me. It was a mockumentary and I believe the main character worked at Taco Bell or something and his goal was to train to be a master Ninja. I think the setting was in Nebraska or something.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pman5000 posted:

Does anyone know the title of a movie about a Redneck guy that trains to be a Ninja. I saw the movie a few years ago and I can not remember the title for the life of me. It was a mockumentary and I believe the main character worked at Taco Bell or something and his goal was to train to be a master Ninja. I think the setting was in Nebraska or something.

The Foot Fist Way?

Pman5000
Feb 4, 2003

"You're so fuckin' money and you don't even know it"

The Cameo posted:

The Foot Fist Way?

Nope, not it. I did not know about this movie, but I will check it out. I love East Bound and Down.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Todd Flanders posted:

I think it's an homage to Kurosawa who used them in "The Hidden Fortress", the movie which Lucas cites as being one of the most influential to "Star Wars".

Thanks. I keep meaning to see that movie...

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Crowetron posted:

When watching the prequels it got to the point where during each scene the only thing on my mind was what kind of wipe was coming up next.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Pman5000 posted:

Does anyone know the title of a movie about a Redneck guy that trains to be a Ninja.
Every Steven Segal movie ever.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Pman5000 posted:

Sounds like part of Napoleon Dynamite.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm suprised this thread fell back this many pages but I found it.

Anyways, I'm watching The International (which is kind of okay I guess) and I was just wondering if anyone knew what the video instalation playing at the Guggenheim was during the ridiculous shoot out. Googling has informed me a lot about how they built some sets and stuff but that's it.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Has anyone here ever ordered movie posters from moviegoods.com? They have an insane selection of things that I thought were pretty rare - why is everything the same price? Are they legit? Clearly these are reproductions, but how good are they?

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I think you're missing what I was pointing out. Contrary to what MANIFEST DESTINY said, a studio is trying to make an adaption of a game that would make a good movie and that's because of its wide success. It's not as if they're handing Verbinski a copy of Velvet Assassin and saying "Hey you did good with those pirate movies, make something from this!"

Nothing against the game, I've played a little of it and its ok, but I don't really think it will make a good movie. Not that it COULDN'T, but knowing what X + Hollywood usually equals, I just don't see it turning out well. It'd be nice if they proved me wrong. I think there are some more naturally cinematic games-- in that their adaptation is rather straight forward and their entertaining essence as a game translates very easily to the screen, but they're being ignored as potential scripts. The Fallout series, for example, has done the Mad Max thing in a lot of ways better than Mad Max did, and lends itself to completely wide open story options. Knights of the Old Republic had a better storyline than Clone Wars, and probably would have been successful enough to guarantee more animated Star Wars films to come. Etc.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

Has anyone here ever ordered movie posters from moviegoods.com? They have an insane selection of things that I thought were pretty rare - why is everything the same price? Are they legit? Clearly these are reproductions, but how good are they?

This was quite a while ago but my Jurassic Park and 5th Element posters were bought from Moviegoods, because they were the only ones who had the original version of each (reproductions of course). They're really...strange reproductions: They're printed on a thick, good quality paper, full size, with a matte finish. I have to say, the matte finish is really nice on the almost all black Jurassic Park logo poster, but it might not work on others. Actually the paper is almost too strong, as I needed to put a good bit of tape under it to keep the edges from curling in. There's no telling whether the ones you're looking at will come like that or not though. I'm not really dissatisfied, especially because I couldn't get them elsewhere, and this was at least 3 years ago, but there you have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I have two questions regarding Delicatessen: What were those little cylinders that the two tenants were drilling holes in and checking with a tuning fork? And at the final confrontation scene why does Mademoiselle Plusse give Clapet The Australian? I thought from the dancing scenes among others Mademoiselle Plusse was warming to Louison, was that all fake? What did she have to gain from that if so?