Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Any environment variable in that shell is inherited by any processes it starts.

Also you can do SOME_VAR=some_value executable and it sets it for that process only.

Also regarding the printer, I would start at:
http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_MP600

Edit: And from your output, make sure libtiff is installed,

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 21, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

waffle iron posted:

Edit: And from your output, make sure libtiff is installed,

... and the same architecture as what you're building (check with /usr/bin/file, or export LD_DEBUG=all and grab a snickers)

LuckySevens
Feb 16, 2004

fear not failure, fear only the limitations of our dreams

What's a good linux distrib that you can choose to boot up alongside windows?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

LuckySevens posted:

Ubuntu.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

LuckySevens posted:

Any of them.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
fstab:

I have an NTFS external drive I want to mount to /media/x when it's plugged in/on boot, owned by my normal user with full permissions. What's the appropriate fstab entry for it? Do I have to do anything with mount, or simply create the dir /media/x?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Really not sure if this belongs here but what the hell.

Anyone familiar with PXE boots? I'm working in an inherited network, and our PXE server (RedHat Enterprise) which would let us do windows and linux installs quickly and easily has stopped working for no apparent reason.

Typically when the client boots via PXE, it gets a screen asking it what OS it wants to install, but now it's only displaying 1 option: "0. Local Machine" and none of our OS's.

Now I'm going through the servers build notes and figuring out the process that PXE is supposed to take, and as far as I can tell it's all there. dhcpd.conf points PXE clients to the file linux-install/pxelinux.0. That file I can't actually open, it doesn't appear to be text, but the notes say it points the client to request linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/default.

The default file is the one that displays a little ascii snake, as well as the various install options, it also includes that "0. Local Machine" line.

So somewhere in this process something isn't doing what it's supposed to, the whole default file isn't being displayed, only the first few lines, but I also have no way of confirming if pxelinux.0 is actually pointing clients to the right file in the first place as I have no idea how I'm supposed to edit it.

Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? How do I check the contents of that pxelinux.0 file?

edit: WOOP! 5 minutes later I solve it myself. It was also refering a boot.msg file later in the process, which was only listing that 0.Local Machine option. I have no idea how the hell it reverted to that default value, but hoping for a backup of it existing somewhere on the box I found another copy of the file sitting in the old admins home directory, copied that across and all is good again.

NZAmoeba fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 24, 2009

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

FeloniousDrunk posted:

I don't think rename is part of bash, I think it's part of the "util-linux" package, in Ubuntu anyway.

To do what you describe,
code:
rename 's/^/abc-/' *

For the record, you can do simple file renaming like this directly from Bash:
code:
for f in *; do mv {,abc-}"$f"; done
Example:
code:
pabs@halcyon:~/tmp> for f in *; do mv -v {,abc-}"$f"; done
`a.txt' -> `abc-a.txt'
`b.txt' -> `abc-b.txt'
`c.txt' -> `abc-c.txt'
`d.txt' -> `abc-d.txt'
Bash also has built-in support for basic substitution, so the example above could be rewritten like so:
code:
for f in *; do mv "$f" "${f/#/abc-}"; done
Example:
code:
pabs@halcyon:~/tmp> for f in *; do mv -v "$f" "${f/#/foo-}"; done
`a.txt' -> `foo-a.txt'
`b.txt' -> `foo-b.txt'
`c.txt' -> `foo-c.txt'
`d.txt' -> `foo-d.txt'
The double quotes prevent bad poo poo (tm) from happening for filenames that contain spaces.

Generally rename is easier and more powerful, but using the built-in shell expansion is useful on resource-constrained systems (e.g. embedded systems) and on systems without rename installed.

And, since I'm already replying; the examples above will fail in directories containing more than 1024 files. You can bypass this limit using find and xargs:
code:
find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 rename 's/^/abc-/'
Finally, the example above using just the shell (e.g. on systems without rename):
code:
find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -print | while read f; do mv {,abc-}"$f"; done

MrPablo
Mar 21, 2003

waffle iron posted:

Any environment variable in that shell is inherited by any processes it starts.

Environment variables are not exported to sub-processes unless they are exported:
code:
pabs@halcyon:~> foo=bar; ruby -e "puts ENV['foo']" 
nil
pabs@halcyon:~> export foo=bar
bar

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!
Is anyone using "foo_xm" (foobar2000 XM Radio plugin) under wine? All my alternate methods of accessing the online streams for XM are currently busted, but I see this still works on the native Windows side.

I haven't tried anything fancier than installing the app, plugin, and wmv9 as suggested for native win2k users. Along the way I also bumped ulimit -n due to a wine debug message, but it didn't help.

The app reports that "access is denied to the stream" but it's unclear what layer/event he's responding to.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

MrPablo posted:

Environment variables are not exported to sub-processes unless they are exported:
code:
nil
pabs@halcyon:~> export foo=bar
bar
I was talking about how environment variables are implemented in Unix at the system level -- not the bash-ism.

See man environ.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got something weird going on.

Running Ubuntu server 9.04, using likewise-open package, I've joined the machine to my 2k3 domain, and can authenticate users against it..... for about 24 hours. Then it stops working until I login as root and restart likewise-winbindd. Then it's good for another ~ 24 hours or so.

I've googled my rear end off, but I'm a little lost in linux land.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 in a VM (ESXi), and I'm having weird issues with network. It quits responding to pings/ssh requests, and then in 10-20 minutes it starts responding again.

Even when it's down, I can ping my desktop (XP) from that server. But not the other way around. I can even access other sites on the internet with it.

I have squid server using basically the same 8.04 install on the same VM server, and it runs without any problems.

I can also ping a machine that is one IP address away from the Ubuntu server (video camera)

Is there any kind of weird firewall in Linux that could be interfering? I'm on a cable modem, and the other machine is on a T1. Other hosts seem to ping each other fine.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm having the damndest time installing Linux on an external USB hard drive. I am trying to install Ubuntu, with the hope that it'd be pretty care-free. It initially plowed over the MBR on my computer, and I had to go abouts restoring it. It would run the boot loader program off the hard drive, look for the external drive, then I could choose to boot. I didn't want this because I wanted the external drive to normally be transparant. If I made the external drive first in the boot order, I'd get an invalid system disk error in the BIOS. After restoring the original boot program on the hard drive I didn't want Ubuntu to touch, I haven't been able to boot into the external drive.

I have been trying to do some clever stuff with the live CD. When I chroot into the external drive, grub-update doesn't seem to work. I even mirrored /dev, /proc, and /dev/pts to the external drive. I had to run grub-update --recheck /dev/sdb2. The partition with the boot loader comes up as /dev/sdb2, and that drive is hd1 in grub's device map.

I changed groot in the menu.lst to point to the drive. So that line now looks like
code:
# groot=(hd1,1)

Given my device map, that should be /dev/sdb2, right?  How come I can't make it go?

Edit:

I'll add some stuff here on what I was running.  Here's what I'm doing in the live CD in a terminal:
[code]
sudo -s
mount -t proc /proc /media/disk/proc
mount -o bind /dev /media/disk/dev
mount -t devpts /dev/pts /media/disk/dev/pts
chroot /media/disk /bin/bash
cd /boot/grub
cat device.map
 (fd0) /dev/fd0
 (hd0) /dev/sda
 (hd1) /dev/sdb
df
.../dev/sdb2 is root...
vi menu.lst
...ensure that groot=(hd1,1)...
grub-update --recheck /dev/sdb
Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
Searching for default file ... found: /boot/grub/default
Testing for an existing GRUB menu.lst file ... found: /boot/grub/menu.lst
Searching for splash image ... none found, skipping ...
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-13-generic
Found kernel: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
Found kernel: /boot/memtest86+.bin
Update /boot/grub/menu.lst ... done

less menu.lst ... verified groot still is (hd1,1)
So I'm confused why I can't boot off of it. The BIOS seems to try and then get pissy that it's an invalid system disk.

Update 2: I guess I should run grub-install. That isn't quite working all the way though. I get problems trying to boot anything in the menu.lst, which is confusing to me. If I go into the grub command line of the boot loader it installed, and ask it to find /boot/grub/stage1, it can't locate it.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jun 27, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Some how I hosed up my apache2. It used to work fine, I didn't do anything! I guess I've updated the system a few times.

code:
dbox:/etc/apache2# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Restarting web server: apache2
[Sun Jun 28 12:16:54 2009] [warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts
 failed!
dbox:/etc/apache2#
apache2.conf
code:
ServerRoot "/etc/apache2"
ServerName dox
LockFile /var/lock/apache2/accept.lock
PidFile ${APACHE_PID_FILE}
Timeout 300
KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 100
KeepAliveTimeout 15
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers          5
    MinSpareServers       5
    MaxSpareServers      10
    MaxClients          150
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>
<IfModule mpm_worker_module>
    StartServers          2
    MaxClients          150
    MinSpareThreads      25
    MaxSpareThreads      75
    ThreadsPerChild      25
    MaxRequestsPerChild   0
</IfModule>
User ${APACHE_RUN_USER}
Group ${APACHE_RUN_GROUP}
AccessFileName .htaccess
<Files ~ "^\.ht">
    Order allow,deny
    Deny from all
</Files>
DefaultType text/plain
HostnameLookups Off
ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
LogLevel warn
Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.load
Include /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/*.conf
Include /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
Include /etc/apache2/ports.conf
LogFormat "%v:%p %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" vhost_combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" common
LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log vhost_combined
Include /etc/apache2/conf.d/
Include /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/
/etc/apache2/conf.d/virtual.conf
code:
NameVirtualHost *:80
example of a vhost file
code:
# domain: example.com
# public: /home/roger/public_html/example/

<VirtualHost *:80>

# Admin email, Server Name (domain name) and any aliases
ServerAdmin [email]webmaster@example.com[/email]
ServerName  example.com
ServerAlias [url]www.example.com[/url]

# Index file and Document Root (where the public files are located
DirectoryIndex index.html index.php
DocumentRoot /home/roger/public_html/example/public

<Directory "/home/roger/public_html/example/public">
        AllowOverride All
</Directory>

# Custom log file locations
ErrorLog  /home/roger/public_html/example/logs/error.log
CustomLog /home/roger/public_html/example/logs/access.log combined

</VirtualHost>
What is up??

ps. I just noticed that /etc/apache2/ports.conf has a NameVirtualHost line as well:
code:
# If you just change the port or add more ports here, you will likely also
# have to change the VirtualHost statement in
# /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default
# This is also true if you have upgraded from before 2.2.9-3 (i.e. from
# Debian etch). See /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/NEWS.Debian.gz and
# README.Debian.gz

NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
    # SSL name based virtual hosts are not yet supported, therefore no
    # NameVirtualHost statement here
    Listen 443
</IfModule>

other people fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jun 28, 2009

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Some how I hosed up my apache2. It used to work fine, I didn't do anything! I guess I've updated the system a few times.

code:
dbox:/etc/apache2# /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
Restarting web server: apache2
 failed!

The first 4 messages are because NVH to VH should be 1:n with identical parameters. grep -ri /etc/apache2 or apach2ctl -S to discover where the offenders might be.

The failure is not however due to those warnings, what does your error log say? There's a narrow window where some messages may be lost unless you start httpd under .e.g. strace and then you'll see an addl write but it's usually sufficient to just check the error log.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

covener posted:

The first 4 messages are because NVH to VH should be 1:n with identical parameters. grep -ri /etc/apache2 or apach2ctl -S to discover where the offenders might be.

The failure is not however due to those warnings, what does your error log say? There's a narrow window where some messages may be lost unless you start httpd under .e.g. strace and then you'll see an addl write but it's usually sufficient to just check the error log.

Something dumb and simple, of course. The custom log location of two of the vhosts was in a directory 'logs', and apache was set to use directory 'log'. Took me a while to see that.

I got rid of all the duplicate vhost errors, too. Thank you!

This brings me to some other issues, while I am here :o.

Each site has its own ErrorLog and CustomLog. I had no idea that this was logging every single file access. What can I do to turn this off?

Looking in the access log, I seem to get a whole rear end ton of people looking for wp-login.php or wp-admin/options-misc.php etc etc. I don't use wordpress, so I just assume this is people trying to "hack" the server, eh?

What do you guys do about favicon.ico? That seems to make up 99% of my error log!

edit: Oh, I thought of another one!!! I have ssl setup on a single vhost, but if I try to go to https on any of my other domains, it displays the site that has ssl setup. Huh?

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

edit: Oh, I thought of another one!!! I have ssl setup on a single vhost, but if I try to go to https on any of my other domains, it displays the site that has ssl setup. Huh?

Apache chooses the best match based on port and interface first, then chooses amongst an identical set of matches based on the actual hostname requested (the latter part only happens when the "best match" also has a corresponding NVH. When you have VH *:443, any request over the canonical port for SSL is going to funnel into there vs. anywhere else.

other stuff: conditional logs at http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/logs.html,

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

covener posted:

Apache chooses the best match based on port and interface first, then chooses amongst an identical set of matches based on the actual hostname requested (the latter part only happens when the "best match" also has a corresponding NVH. When you have VH *:443, any request over the canonical port for SSL is going to funnel into there vs. anywhere else.

How do I stop this? Make a VH *.443 for each of the non-ssl vhosts that redirects to http?

other people fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 29, 2009

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
How do I get a bootable OS installer to run on a usb stick?

I have a netbook that I'm trying to install linux on, I've tried using the netbook installer that ubuntu features on it's website, but it keeps breaking on this thing so I want to try a different distro.

Unfortunately everything else wants to install via an iso, what's a quick and easy way to get an installer to run from the usb stick?

(note: I don't want a 'linux on a usb stick' thing, I have a hard drive I want to install onto, but I need to install it from a usb stick, not a cd/dvd)

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

How do I get a bootable OS installer to run on a usb stick?

I have a netbook that I'm trying to install linux on, I've tried using the netbook installer that ubuntu features on it's website, but it keeps breaking on this thing so I want to try a different distro.

Unfortunately everything else wants to install via an iso, what's a quick and easy way to get an installer to run from the usb stick?

(note: I don't want a 'linux on a usb stick' thing, I have a hard drive I want to install onto, but I need to install it from a usb stick, not a cd/dvd)
For Fedora there is liveusb-creator. All of the LiveCD images can do an install of the running image to disk. There is an icon on the desktop.

https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Also, most .img-files can be instantly copied to a USB-drive without any problems with
dd if=/path/to.img of=/path/to-device
Make sure there's no partition number on the end of the device (sdx instead of sdx1). This will erase the partition-table on the drive and everything on it though, so be careful.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

Also, most .img-files can be instantly copied to a USB-drive without any problems with
dd if=/path/to.img of=/path/to-device
Make sure there's no partition number on the end of the device (sdx instead of sdx1). This will erase the partition-table on the drive and everything on it though, so be careful.
live-usb creator is non destructive if that matters.

The minimal boot media is described at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/en-US/html/sn-which-files.html#d0e760

It can't be set up with liveusb-creator, but the dd method should work.

I remember installing Fedora 5 or 6 with a two boot floppies and a net install.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

waffle iron posted:

The minimal boot media is described at http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f11/en-US/html/sn-which-files.html#d0e760

What's this minimal stuff? Right now I'm trying to install fedora 11 from that usb creator and it's being a bitch and telling me that the drive is less than 3 gigs and won't work (despite it telling me on the partition screen that it's 4 gigs argh!!!)

Would that fix this problem? Stupid piece of crap works fine on a 2 gig USB drive...

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My Dell 2407WFP monitor comes with an integrated SD/MMC card reader that I would like to use with Ubuntu 9.04. It doesn't seem to work, though.

If I watch /var/log/syslog, I see that the reader is being recognized when I plug it in:

code:
Jun 29 00:05:51 nixon kernel: [624798.860070] usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 16
Jun 29 00:05:51 nixon kernel: [624798.994683] usb 1-5: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jun 29 00:05:51 nixon kernel: [624798.995020] hub 1-5:1.0: USB hub found
Jun 29 00:05:51 nixon kernel: [624798.995104] hub 1-5:1.0: 2 ports detected
Jun 29 00:05:52 nixon kernel: [624799.268137] usb 1-5.1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 17
Jun 29 00:05:52 nixon kernel: [624799.365053] usb 1-5.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Jun 29 00:05:52 nixon kernel: [624799.365170] hub 1-5.1:1.0: USB hub found
Jun 29 00:05:52 nixon kernel: [624799.365413] hub 1-5.1:1.0: 4 ports detected
Jun 29 00:05:52 nixon chipcardd[3225]: devicemanager.c: 3373: Changes in hardware list
I don't know what to do to make it work, though. Some Googling seems to indicate something about kernel support for SCSI LUNs. Kernel needs to CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN option set. I don't know what any of this means. I guess I have to recompile my kernel now? Can someone help me out here?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

waffle iron posted:

Ah, yeah. Wouldn't unetbootin also be non-destructive? Seems so.

Still, unetbootin is pretty easy if you need to create any sort of live-USB. Even works in windows apparently.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Zom Aur posted:

Ah, yeah. Wouldn't unetbootin also be non-destructive? Seems so.

Still, unetbootin is pretty easy if you need to create any sort of live-USB. Even works in windows apparently.

This is sweet, now I just need to find a distro that doesn't mind being installed on a 4GB hard drive. For reference I'm using a Asus eee 701 netbook (has a celeron, not an atom). I'm not the one using it but the guy I'm doing this for just basically wants something that does basic pc stuff.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

This is sweet, now I just need to find a distro that doesn't mind being installed on a 4GB hard drive. For reference I'm using a Asus eee 701 netbook (has a celeron, not an atom). I'm not the one using it but the guy I'm doing this for just basically wants something that does basic pc stuff.
Wouldn't any CD-based distro work with that? Ubuntu, debian, arch, mandriva and even the non-dvd release of fedora ought to work.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Zom Aur posted:

Wouldn't any CD-based distro work with that? Ubuntu, debian, arch, mandriva and even the non-dvd release of fedora ought to work.

Ubuntu installs but seems to have weird gui problems once running.

Earlier I was trying to install fedora but it insists that it can't install on a partition less than 3GB, despite me clearly asking it to install on a 4GB drive! So I don't know what the deal there is...

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

NZAmoeba posted:

Ubuntu installs but seems to have weird gui problems once running.

Earlier I was trying to install fedora but it insists that it can't install on a partition less than 3GB, despite me clearly asking it to install on a 4GB drive! So I don't know what the deal there is...
Oh, was that perhaps related to that earlier problem with fedora not installing to a 4GB drive?

If so, don't use the automatic partitioner, do it manually and see if it works.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Kobayashi posted:

I don't know what to do to make it work, though. Some Googling seems to indicate something about kernel support for SCSI LUNs. Kernel needs to CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN option set. I don't know what any of this means. I guess I have to recompile my kernel now? Can someone help me out here?

If you know the scsi id of the device you can enable it without recompiling with the scsiadd utility. scsiadd -p will list the devices the kernel knows about, and if the base device is 1 0 0 0 you should be able to get the second device with scsiadd -a 1 0 0 1

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

NZAmoeba posted:

What's this minimal stuff? Right now I'm trying to install fedora 11 from that usb creator and it's being a bitch and telling me that the drive is less than 3 gigs and won't work (despite it telling me on the partition screen that it's 4 gigs argh!!!)

Would that fix this problem? Stupid piece of crap works fine on a 2 gig USB drive...
Then you might have to do something silly like install to a larger drive and then do a dd copy from that to the smaller. I haven't moved from Fedora 10 to 11 on my netbook and 10 works fine with a 4GB SSD (installed from the XFCE live image).

If you're not doing the default package selection on a regular install image, you should be able to install just the base system and then use yum to install gdm and gnome2 (or xfce4) packages. That should give you a minimal GUI system.

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 29, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one confirm/disconfirm for me that the following setup would be "mostly" secure?

Debian 5, kept fully up to date, with LAMP installed.

Now, assuming I have iptables set to only allow incoming connections through port 80/443 to apache2 (and whatever random port sshd is set to), the servers chances of being "hacked" are quite slim, no?

Wouldn't most attacks take place through some exploit in a php script? Are there other forms of attack that this server would be wide open to?

How do you secure php from scripts that you have no control over?

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one confirm/disconfirm for me that the following setup would be "mostly" secure?

Debian 5, kept fully up to date, with LAMP installed.

Now, assuming I have iptables set to only allow incoming connections through port 80/443 to apache2 (and whatever random port sshd is set to), the servers chances of being "hacked" are quite slim, no?

Wouldn't most attacks take place through some exploit in a php script? Are there other forms of attack that this server would be wide open to?

How do you secure php from scripts that you have no control over?

Bots will attempt to brute force your SSH server. Setup some sort of fail2ban+denyhosts solution at a minimum. Also disallow root from connecting remotely via SSH as well.

Edit: also thoroughly test any web application you host. See OWASP (http://www.owasp.org) for some guidance there.

Postal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 1, 2009

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Postal posted:

Bots will attempt to brute force your SSH server. Setup some sort of fail2ban+denyhosts solution at a minimum. Also disallow root from connecting remotely via SSH as well.

Edit: also thoroughly test any web application you host. See OWASP (http://www.owasp.org) for some guidance there.

Ah yes, I do have denyhosts setup.

I just now installed fail2ban. I believe it only comes configured for sshd logs. The only thing it can really detect from apache is people trying to brute force protected directories, right? It can't really do anything about people loving with a php form, eh?

This is all for a personal web server I have. The only thing that runs on it that really worries me is a wordpress blog a friend of mine uses. There is no hands-off way to keep it up-to-date, as far as I can see. I guess it is up to me to keep on top of that installation.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I just now installed fail2ban. I believe it only comes configured for sshd logs. The only thing it can really detect from apache is people trying to brute force protected directories, right? It can't really do anything about people loving with a php form, eh?

This is all for a personal web server I have. The only thing that runs on it that really worries me is a wordpress blog a friend of mine uses. There is no hands-off way to keep it up-to-date, as far as I can see. I guess it is up to me to keep on top of that installation.

Usually WP blogs have dumb crap like an uploads directory with chmod 777 where the person wants to put images they upload via wordpress. The bots scan for these common directories to try and put their own code on there and then do things like send spam out from your server.

We had this issue on one machine on several domains and ended up preventing it from returning by placing an .htaccess in any directories that didn't contain php and were chmod 777:

# secure directory by disabling script execution
AddHandler cgi-script .php .pl .py .jsp .asp .htm .shtml .sh .cgi
Options -ExecCGI

Also is a good idea to run clamav, it will find a lot of junk that people put on if it does get on there.

Postal
Aug 9, 2003

Don't make me go postal!

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I only use fail2ban for my SSH server. I'm not sure if/how it would be setup for any other service. It is geared around logs, so if your PHP app logged in some sort of syslog format, you could probably set it up to be watched by fail2ban. But that's probably not the case, and also probably more trouble than it's worth. My web server only runs very simple apps or file repositories. My hosts.deny file has grown rather large since I started using it just for SSH, though. Seems there are always people trying to brute force my SSH server.

Another thing to do is disable anything that isn't necessary. I doubt you need the RPC services, NFS, etc.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
How do you change the time format to a 24-hour clock? I changed it for the clock that's in the upper-right corner, but things like my Thunderbird calendar, and IM timestamps still show up with the 12-hour AM/PM stuff. I can't find a setting for this anywhere, and Google isn't much help.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Anunnaki posted:

How do you change the time format to a 24-hour clock? I changed it for the clock that's in the upper-right corner, but things like my Thunderbird calendar, and IM timestamps still show up with the 12-hour AM/PM stuff. I can't find a setting for this anywhere, and Google isn't much help.

I know in KDE (this is centos btw) you can just right click on the clock and select date&time format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Edit: Double Post

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 13, 2017