Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Does anyone have a list of the diff ratios availible of the GD series STI's? Wouldnt mind the LSD types as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
drat, installing a car stereo in an bugeye Impreza is stupid easy. I wish I had done this months ago. Took me a half hour including soldering the wiring harness. I got tired of that stock Clarion unit displaying ERR6 and generally being a piece of poo poo. The new stereo is so much better even with the existing speakers.

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!
Sup subie gang. Wanted to chime in, I'm in the process of finalizing my purchase of an 09 white wrx wagon.

Ive been in the market for one for a long time, and I'm finally going for it.

I'm researching adding a kartboy short shifter once I get the car, anyone have any experience with this?

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!

Just Another XY posted:

^^^^

So to clarify – My basic suspicion of the previous owner driving the poo poo out of the car is probably correct, yes?

As for the STI, I don't know much about Subarus specifically, but I'm doing my best to figure out things. Are there any parts I should look at in particular to try and gauge how much damage the 07's gotten? It has ~15k miles for over 2 years, which is pretty light.

I'm definitely looking at the higher performance (DCCD, better suspension, etc) of the STI vs. the WRX. I'm just worried that parts will start failing on me because of an idiot previous-driver.

From the research I've done, the 07 sti is extremely performance oriented, meaning that from a daily driver perspective, it can be a little... Unforgiving.

If performance is your only goal, the sti is probably right up your alley, as long as the car checks out with carfax/qualified subaru expert. If you want slightly less performance, plus more comfort and no worries about the used car being abused by its previous owner, perhaps the 09 wrx is more your speed.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I'm looking to buy a 2004-07 WRX! I've been keeping my eyes open at the local dealers but I know there have got to be better options online. I've been looking at ads on NASIOC and most of them say that they haven't been tracked or raced (which to me means nothing since they are obviously driven hard), but is NASIOC still a decent place to shop for one?

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log
I have a 2002 WRX for those who haven't read my ridiculous stupidity from earlier in the thread. I finally got my car built for the most part, the transmission is going to need to be rebuilt next but I'm short on cash. I ended up having a forged EJ257 built for it with 750cc injectors, bigger fuel pump and a HTA68 turbo. I don't really think it deserves it's own thread but I thought some people might appreciate it.

It will be completely put together in a couple weeks and if there's interest I'll post the final product pics sometime around the middle of the month. The only major change to the block is I replaced the manifold with one painted with a red crinkle coat that had been cleaned up a lot better.

The car when I picked it up:

It's First day home:

New Subaru Nitrated Crank Vs. Original Crank:

Nitrated Crank:

More Crank:

TURRRRBOOOOOOO:

New Shiny Pistons:

Rods:

Block almost all together!

Bob Log fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jul 1, 2009

BannedForLulz
Feb 19, 2008

8ender posted:

drat, installing a car stereo in an bugeye Impreza is stupid easy. I wish I had done this months ago. Took me a half hour including soldering the wiring harness. I got tired of that stock Clarion unit displaying ERR6 and generally being a piece of poo poo. The new stereo is so much better even with the existing speakers.

Would you be so kind as to link to the dash kit and/or wiring harness that you purchased? Thanks!

Also, in regards to your comment. I remember being told that the WRXs stock speakers aren't really all that horrible, and that replacing the head unit actually makes them sound much better.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

BannedForLulz posted:

I remember being told that the WRXs stock speakers aren't really all that horrible, and that replacing the head unit actually makes them sound much better.

This is correct. I swapped in the lovely head unit from my old cherokee and it made a world of difference.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

BannedForLulz posted:

Would you be so kind as to link to the dash kit and/or wiring harness that you purchased? Thanks!

I bought a version of this harness:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120708901/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?search=subaru+harness

It was a great harness. All the colors matched up perfectly with the Pioneer harness. Just solder and pop it in. I had the single DIN unit in my Impreza so I was able to reuse everything. Actually installing the radio was just undoing a few screws and sliding in the new unit.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

Sup subie gang. Wanted to chime in, I'm in the process of finalizing my purchase of an 09 white wrx wagon.

Ive been in the market for one for a long time, and I'm finally going for it.

I'm researching adding a kartboy short shifter once I get the car, anyone have any experience with this?

Kartboy makes high quality products for sure, but in my opinion short throws suck. They reduce the "weight" of the shifter throw which I find is one of the nicer things about subaru shifters. There is also anecdotal evidence that they can damage the shifter fork, but I highly doubt it. If you're a big fan of extra short throw, get the kartboy, but I would roll around stock for a while to see how it feels. I think you'll be impressed.

One thing short throw definitely does not do is improve shift speed by any appreciable margin.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Kinda random but. I bought a auto dimming mirror off NASIOC that was supposed to be the right fit for 08/09 Imprezas. Mirror and harness were fine, but the plastic trim piece to cover the wire isn't long enough. Anyone have access to Subie's docs? Wondering what the part number is for just that interior piece.

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

Remember: everyday that you wake up, proves that God doesn't exist.
I have a quick question/issue. Recently when I have the A/C on i get an intermittent 'squeak'. It almost sounds like a belt slipping. Only happens when the A/C is on though, Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what to look for? Car is a 2005 STI, engine totally stock.

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

Bampalo posted:

I have a quick question/issue. Recently when I have the A/C on i get an intermittent 'squeak'. It almost sounds like a belt slipping. Only happens when the A/C is on though, Can anybody point me in the right direction as to what to look for? Car is a 2005 STI, engine totally stock.

it's the A/C belt squeaking most likely. Check it to make sure it's properly tensioned and not cracked.

Bampalo
Mar 7, 2001

Remember: everyday that you wake up, proves that God doesn't exist.
I assumed it was belt related, but havent had a chance to check yet.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

dayman posted:

it's the A/C belt squeaking most likely. Check it to make sure it's properly tensioned and not cracked.

Seconding this possibility. My belt has just started making a squeek as it slips when the AC cuts on. I'm only at 40k miles too. Sounds exactly like a milder version of all my dad's cars that had these belts squeel horribly. My family seems to be cursed with AC belts.

sybir
Sep 10, 2004
Uhhh, what?
[ELP], you should be really happy with that setup, Paul does great work and handles all my toys. BTW, if Paul gives you further pics, you can just link them direct - it's my hosting ;)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

dayman posted:

Kartboy makes high quality products for sure, but in my opinion short throws suck. They reduce the "weight" of the shifter throw which I find is one of the nicer things about subaru shifters. There is also anecdotal evidence that they can damage the shifter fork, but I highly doubt it. If you're a big fan of extra short throw, get the kartboy, but I would roll around stock for a while to see how it feels. I think you'll be impressed.

One thing short throw definitely does not do is improve shift speed by any appreciable margin.

I don't mind the stock shifters, but short shifters freakin rock. If you're willing to spend a little more, get the Cobb double adjustable short shifter, it's awesome and you can pretty much make your ideal shifter height/throw setup with it. That, or if you want to go cheaper, this guy makes a pretty awesome shifter as well: http://www.ixizconcept.com/

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
The stocker in my LGT was kind of high, but getting a knob that sits lower can make a bit of a difference. I ended up getting a Delrin knob that dropped the overall height about an inch, if not a little more (the stock knob is pretty dang tall!). I'd start there and work your way down. Also seconding the Cobb... I've been debating it, and the double adjustable feature is what is pushing me that way.

Bob Log
May 19, 2004

Hey, It's Bob Log

sybir posted:

[ELP], you should be really happy with that setup, Paul does great work and handles all my toys. BTW, if Paul gives you further pics, you can just link them direct - it's my hosting ;)

Wait Wait Wait, Who the hell are you? PM me. Have I met you?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sigh, I'm going though an own personal hell at the moment.

A dealer nearby has the car I want. A 2009 STI Dark Grey Metallic. I'm just not ready to buy yet.

I mean, I could go down there tomorrow and buy the drat thing at MSRP if I wanted to, but it would be stupid stupid stupid.

Sigh, I want so bad but I need to wait. I'm still debating as to whether or not I should do things so I buy this year and get the sales tax deduction for my taxes or just wait until next spring and save up more of a downpayment.

In theory, the ~$2000 paid in sales tax applied as a deduction will end up to be around $500 or so, so I guess if I can get a $500 better deal or save $500 in interest over the life of the loan it would be worth it to wait.

Being responsible sucks.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Sigh, I'm going though an own personal hell at the moment.

A dealer nearby has the car I want. A 2009 STI Dark Grey Metallic. I'm just not ready to buy yet.

I mean, I could go down there tomorrow and buy the drat thing at MSRP if I wanted to, but it would be stupid stupid stupid.

Sigh, I want so bad but I need to wait. I'm still debating as to whether or not I should do things so I buy this year and get the sales tax deduction for my taxes or just wait until next spring and save up more of a downpayment.

In theory, the ~$2000 paid in sales tax applied as a deduction will end up to be around $500 or so, so I guess if I can get a $500 better deal or save $500 in interest over the life of the loan it would be worth it to wait.

Being responsible sucks.

I hear you. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Just to make it worse, Subaru is offering 2.9% financing. Best I saw when shopping around was 4.3%. Made it hard to say no to a 2009 WRX sedan... The 1.4% interest savings certainly helps things in your new car's favor :).

Have you taken one out for a spin yet? Hell if it makes you happy, its only money. And really you aren't talking about much of a "fun" tax when you break it out over the 5+ years you'll likely own it.

Tremblay fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jul 2, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tremblay posted:

Have you taken one out for a spin yet?

No, and I'm not going to either until I'm ready to buy because that would be a mistake.

I mean, it's not as if my bugeye is a slow POS. I don't HAVE to get a new car now and I'm planning on keeping my bugeye after I purchase (it's hard to part with a car you've owned for almost 8 years and driven 100,000 miles, plus it's a perfect 'beater').

They aren't going anywhere. It's just been so long since I've seen a dealer have an STI in stock, let alone the color I want.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

No, and I'm not going to either until I'm ready to buy because that would be a mistake.

I mean, it's not as if my bugeye is a slow POS. I don't HAVE to get a new car now and I'm planning on keeping my bugeye after I purchase (it's hard to part with a car you've owned for almost 8 years and driven 100,000 miles, plus it's a perfect 'beater').

They aren't going anywhere. It's just been so long since I've seen a dealer have an STI in stock, let alone the color I want.

Gotcha. Honestly I don't think you'd regret doing it. But certainly no harm in waiting.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Cat Terrist posted:

Does anyone have a list of the diff ratios availible of the GD series STI's? Wouldnt mind the LSD types as well

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

there's this. I suspect a newer version is floating around somewhere.

TurboLuvah posted:

I don't mind the stock shifters, but short shifters freakin rock. If you're willing to spend a little more, get the Cobb double adjustable short shifter, it's awesome and you can pretty much make your ideal shifter height/throw setup with it. That, or if you want to go cheaper, this guy makes a pretty awesome shifter as well: http://www.ixizconcept.com/
mode racing makes those shifters now I think.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

jamal posted:

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

there's this. I suspect a newer version is floating around somewhere.

mode racing makes those shifters now I think.

Did that guy stop making them or something? The Mode Racing site seems to not be up and running yet.

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!

bull3964 posted:

I just picked up my new WRX yesterday, and during the shopping process visited just about every subaru dealer within a hundred miles. It seemed that almost everywhere I went had a really good selection of STI's, more of them that WRX's in most cases.

Weird.

Gray was my second choice, and I was almost ready to make a purchase until I stumbled across a white one.

Good luck with your dilemma!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It must just be the area. I'm in southwestern PA and while we have TONS of Subaru dealerships (seriously, I think I have about a dozen Subaru dealerships within a half hour's drive), selection of the high performance Subarus have always been slim pickings. I don't know if it's demand causing them to be snapped up for if it's demand for the other models taking away lot space for the performance models.

Looking around at the various dealer inventories online, most only had 1 or 2 (if any) WRXs and only one that I checked had an STI in stock. Plenty of Imprezas and Legacies to choose from though. You can't swing a dead cat in a parking lot around here and not hit a half dozen Outbacks and Legacies.

This isn't a new situation either, it seems like supplies of WRXs and STIs have always been a bit constrained around here.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

bull3964 posted:

It must just be the area. I'm in southwestern PA and while we have TONS of Subaru dealerships (seriously, I think I have about a dozen Subaru dealerships within a half hour's drive), selection of the high performance Subarus have always been slim pickings. I don't know if it's demand causing them to be snapped up for if it's demand for the other models taking away lot space for the performance models.

Looking around at the various dealer inventories online, most only had 1 or 2 (if any) WRXs and only one that I checked had an STI in stock. Plenty of Imprezas and Legacies to choose from though. You can't swing a dead cat in a parking lot around here and not hit a half dozen Outbacks and Legacies.

This isn't a new situation either, it seems like supplies of WRXs and STIs have always been a bit constrained around here.

I'm not entirely surprised. My 08 5MT DGM LGT was the only one within a reasonable distance (3 hour drive seem reasonable?). I knew if I was going to get a LGT, it would have to be a 5MT (spec b was out of my price range), not only were there very few LGTs, but this was the only manual that I could find in the state of vermont when I was looking. Just happened to be the color I wanted to. First 30 seconds in the car and I was sold too. If you're trying to wait, don't go sit in it whatever you do!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

bull3964 posted:

If the dealership you want to deal with doesn't have it, it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience to get one from another dealership. Especially if you know exactly what you want. When I bought mine the dealer had just sold the model I wanted, but they managed to look around most of the east coast and find me one with what I wanted. You're going to pay the shipping/handling fee it shouldn't be an issue for them to source the one you want.

For a reference of distance they were willing to go as far away as PA and NJ to get a car while I was in the DC area. They ended up finding the one I bought up at a dealership in Western Maryland. Not that this really negates your monetary concerns, but the fact that they don't have one on the lot shouldn't deter you from trying to get one, a good dealership will get you the one you want.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 2, 2009

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Heh, I actually took a WRX for a test drive about 6 months before I bought mine in December of 2001, but drat was that a long 6 months.

I should really test drive a new WRX265 as well because it may be enough to satiate my desires and save me $10k in the process. The 6 speed and AWD system of the STI would be nice to have, but I don't know if I really NEED them.

It's funny. Any new car I buy will likely sit in the worst parts of winter and I'll use my current WRX, rendering much of the AWD system improvements of the STI moot.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Heh, I actually took a WRX for a test drive about 6 months before I bought mine in December of 2001, but drat was that a long 6 months.

I should really test drive a new WRX265 as well because it may be enough to satiate my desires and save me $10k in the process. The 6 speed and AWD system of the STI would be nice to have, but I don't know if I really NEED them.

It's funny. Any new car I buy will likely sit in the worst parts of winter and I'll use my current WRX, rendering much of the AWD system improvements of the STI moot.

Are you planning on modding heavily? Since your bug eye is stock I'm guessing no? In that case you'd prob be happy with the WRX. I like the idea of DCCD, but not 10k worth. I think starting with 08 the WRX no longer has LSDs front and rear. Think the STi still does. Didn't matter to me, I don't plan on seriously AutoXing it or anything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, the WRX never did have a front LSD. I think they removed the LSD from the rear because of the inclusion of VDC. If you notice, none of the Subarus with a mechanical AWD system and VDC have rear LSDs.

I may or may not mod. Really the main reason why my WRX is stock is because I like to stay in D Stock for autocross. Does anyone here know if the WRX265 is still classified D Stock? If so, that should be a huge advantage and may actually sway me towards the WRX rather than the STI.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Well, the WRX never did have a front LSD. I think they removed the LSD from the rear because of the inclusion of VDC. If you notice, none of the Subarus with a mechanical AWD system and VDC have rear LSDs.

I may or may not mod. Really the main reason why my WRX is stock is because I like to stay in D Stock for autocross. Does anyone here know if the WRX265 is still classified D Stock? If so, that should be a huge advantage and may actually sway me towards the WRX rather than the STI.

Yes, still D Stock as of March 15, 2009 classification guide.

http://cms.scca.com/documents/Solo_Rules/solo_categories.pdf

I'm thinking AP stg1 and some springs. The car has plenty of power already, but a little more never hurts. Springs to try and lessen the body roll. Its not bad, just more than I was expecting.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You really got to wonder about the classifications sometimes. The 2009 WRX is better performing by a huge margin over the 2008 yet they are classed the same.

Maybe if I got a WRX265, I could get revenge on a pesky Mazdaspeed3 that I haven't been able to beat locally. The 2.0L WRX never was REALLY competitive in D Stock, but it seems that more recent additions to the class (and the upgraded current versions) leave it behind by a good margin.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

You really got to wonder about the classifications sometimes. The 2009 WRX is better performing by a huge margin over the 2008 yet they are classed the same.

Maybe if I got a WRX265, I could get revenge on a pesky Mazdaspeed3 that I haven't been able to beat locally. The 2.0L WRX never was REALLY competitive in D Stock, but it seems that more recent additions to the class (and the upgraded current versions) leave it behind by a good margin.

I have never done one, that said I'd think the torque difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 would be the biggest advantage. Normally whats the tallest gear you hit? 3rd?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Tremblay posted:

I have never done one, that said I'd think the torque difference between the 2.0 and 2.5 would be the biggest advantage. Normally whats the tallest gear you hit? 3rd?

2nd. 2nd gear maxes out at 67mph and it's very rare that there's a straightaway that will allow a stock WRX to hit that speed at my local club. Sometimes STIs and S2000s need to get to 3rd, but it's almost always never worth it and and better to bang off the rev limiter than upshift and then downshift a few seconds later.

Yes, the torque will help a hell of a whole lot. One of the biggest for my car is bogging out of a tight turn. It's almost always never worth dropping back into 1st, but it feels like it takes FOREVER to build boost back (I have yet to master left foot braking to try to keep boost though slow turns.) It doesn't help that our particular local venue is on a slight grade so sometimes you are going UPHILL out of a turn.

The only thing I've driven with the 2.5L turbo in it is a Legacy GT and that was an automatic :(. So I can't even guess how much of a difference it would make.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

bull3964 posted:

2nd. 2nd gear maxes out at 67mph and it's very rare that there's a straightaway that will allow a stock WRX to hit that speed at my local club. Sometimes STIs and S2000s need to get to 3rd, but it's almost always never worth it and and better to bang off the rev limiter than upshift and then downshift a few seconds later.

Yes, the torque will help a hell of a whole lot. One of the biggest for my car is bogging out of a tight turn. It's almost always never worth dropping back into 1st, but it feels like it takes FOREVER to build boost back (I have yet to master left foot braking to try to keep boost though slow turns.) It doesn't help that our particular local venue is on a slight grade so sometimes you are going UPHILL out of a turn.

The only thing I've driven with the 2.5L turbo in it is a Legacy GT and that was an automatic :(. So I can't even guess how much of a difference it would make.

Gotcha. If you are running the revs up that much then 09 would be great. I was wondering about the spool up since its a bigger turbo than the 08 and prior.

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!

Tremblay posted:

I hear you. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. Just to make it worse, Subaru is offering 2.9% financing. Best I saw when shopping around was 4.3%. Made it hard to say no to a 2009 WRX sedan... The 1.4% interest savings certainly helps things in your new car's favor :).

Have you taken one out for a spin yet? Hell if it makes you happy, its only money. And really you aren't talking about much of a "fun" tax when you break it out over the 5+ years you'll likely own it.

A dealer that i was close to buying a car with just called me to say that Subaru is now starting a 0% financing deal. Not sure if this is legit or not, but its worth checking out.

Ill also be slightly irritated that I rushed to find my car before the end of the month to get the 2.9, only to have the financing available to get BETTER...

Meh, whatever.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh geeze, if they actually start a 0% financing deal it may be all over for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

A dealer that i was close to buying a car with just called me to say that Subaru is now starting a 0% financing deal. Not sure if this is legit or not, but its worth checking out.

Ill also be slightly irritated that I rushed to find my car before the end of the month to get the 2.9, only to have the financing available to get BETTER...

Meh, whatever.

Yeah its legit. 2.9% ended on June 30th. Saw an ad today for 0%. poo poo.