Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

My bike, 1995 XV1100 Yamaha Virago

I love this bike, best one I've had yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
Hope this isn't too pre-mature, but all seems to be going well in buying this bike from a friend of a coworker. '01 Shadow Custom 750, 10k miles, stock apart from mustang seat, and in the loving best condition I've ever seen on this old of a bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fannyflaps
Feb 14, 2005

the safest way to meet an attack with a spiked staff when you are armed only with an ordinary walking stick
My KTM 950 SM:

:)

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Lookin' good after a much-deserved wash/wax/polish:

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

fannyflaps posted:

My KTM 950 SM:

Do you die every time you ride that?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

fannyflaps posted:

My KTM 950 SM:

I love those. Wish they brought the 990 SMs here.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

fannyflaps posted:

If you die can I have it?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
-

an actual frog fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 24, 2020

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My newest toy. 1977 Honda CB550K. Has an aftermarket tank/seat and a 4-1 exhaust. 22.5k on the clock. I plan on taking it all apart this winter and doing a total rebuild. Powdercoat the frame fire-engine red, wheels will be black spokes/red rims, and probably repaint the motor black. Its my first bike and is not terribly fast (like, 30 earth-shaking horsepower). But its fun and I love it. Just about to head out for a ride up to Boulder.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

It's actually 50 earthshaking horsepower if it's a 550k. Not a screamer, but pretty good, especially for its weight. If the mods (exhaust, HOPEFULLY upjets) were done properly, it might be slightly (like sliiiiightly) more powerful. A great bike, all around. Though as a cafe bike, it's definitely lost a lot of its utility in exchange for looks/aggressive ride position. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Akion posted:

My newest toy.

I like the Manx badge on the side cover. It also doesn't look like a half-assed cafe conversion, either.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Crappy group Cell photo

It's an angry garage. Scorpa needs its rear brake off (need to buy a set of giant allens), WR has a radiator out for repair, Ossa needs new front brake and clutch cables, TTR needs a new exhaust and the Scrambler there is waiting on its badges before I clearcoat.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Akion posted:

My newest toy. 1977 Honda CB550K. Has an aftermarket tank/seat and a 4-1 exhaust. 22.5k on the clock. I plan on taking it all apart this winter and doing a total rebuild. Powdercoat the frame fire-engine red, wheels will be black spokes/red rims, and probably repaint the motor black. Its my first bike and is not terribly fast (like, 30 earth-shaking horsepower). But its fun and I love it. Just about to head out for a ride up to Boulder.

Don't change the colours, that's perfect as is.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS
New toy and a garage find. Our garage in fact. I was helping my father clean out his shed and we found this.

Someone tried to make a tiddler bike and this is what they ended up with. Were not sure what it started life as. The frame is from '59 but it has been pretty heavily modified. The engine is a '65 90cc. Custom exhaust and a scary wiring job top it off. We threw a new battery in it and some gas and the drat thing fired right up. It spits and coughs and we will need to take the carb down to pieces, but hey, thats pretty spiffy for sitting for 30 years. The oil was even still good.

It only has two gears, both of which are crazy tall, and you have to bump start it, but it gets all the way to fifty or sixty depending on how the wind is blowing. It sounds like the worlds angriest lawnmower too.

There was also a 1965 Triumph T120 Bonneville, an unknown Aermacchi single cylinder, and a BSA 440 Victor to work on next. This is going to be a kickass summer.

Nyyen fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 30, 2009

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
that is loving badass

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Nyyen posted:

There was also a 1965 Triumph T120 Bonneville, an unknown Aermacchi single cylinder, and a BSA 440 Victor to work on next. This is going to be a kickass summer.

Goddamn, we need some more pics, son. Also, that Honda is awesome.

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Simkin posted:

Goddamn, we need some more pics, son. Also, that Honda is awesome.

Sorry folks, I lied. After taking another look, it turns out that the Triumph is a 1959 TR6 (The same type of bike used by Steve McQueen in The Great Escape), the Aermacchi is a Harley-Davidson 250 Sprint H, and the BSA is a 1969 441 Victor Special. All three are going to need to be taken down to parts and have most of the rubber replaced. The triumph ran when it was stored so it should be fine. The Aermacchi and the BSA were temperamental to begin with, but we think that they will be rolling before winter.

Here are some better lit shots of the tiddler as well.

That's my brothers bike. The tiddler will be my first road-use motorcycle. Notice that manual disk brake up front too. Should I get the front fender color matched with the creme color or should I leave it white as a testament to whoever was awesome enough to build it?

And here is the '73 ST-90 that I am fixing up too. I have a new carb on the way and that plus a battery should be all it needs.

I can take better shots if anyone wants to have a closer look.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Nyyen posted:

New toy and a garage find. Our garage in fact. I was helping my father clean out his shed and we found this.

Wait... your father didn't know it was there? How does that happen?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Doctor Zero posted:

Wait... your father didn't know it was there? How does that happen?

Seeing my father's garage, I can totally believe you can lose a motorcycle in a shed.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, that BSA looks like it would be all sorts of fun (if not a pain in the rear end to keep running). Hell, even that HD looks like something that I'd enjoy riding.

I'm torn on that Honda. It looks loving badass as it is, but there's just sooooo much space in the middle of the frame, just begging for a bit more motor to be shoehorned in.

A 250cc 2T dirtbike engine is pretty small, right guys? :v:

Nyyen
Jun 26, 2005

MACHINE MEN
with MACHINE MINDS
and MACHINE HEARTS

Simkin posted:

drat, that BSA looks like it would be all sorts of fun (if not a pain in the rear end to keep running). Hell, even that HD looks like something that I'd enjoy riding.

I'm torn on that Honda. It looks loving badass as it is, but there's just sooooo much space in the middle of the frame, just begging for a bit more motor to be shoehorned in.

A 250cc 2T dirtbike engine is pretty small, right guys? :v:

I was thinking the same thing but it is just so unique as is it. With 2 more gears and a 120cc from the same era, it would be a pretty fast little bike and a ton of fun without getting to far from its roots. I think I will have to just build my own though unless I can find a 120 or 150 single that would fit.

As for how you can lose a bike in your own shed, we actually knew it was there but my father hadn't seen it in 30 years or so, so we didn't really know what to expect.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
30 years? drat, that's a long time between garage cleanings. My dad has a few old bikes, or at least he used to. I think he still has an old bridgestone motorcycle(interesting history on those bikes), a BSA and his old race bike. He had a small ducati single too, can't remember what it was, but he sold that. I go home in August, I'll get pictures of his collection when I do.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Shlomo Palestein posted:

It's actually 50 earthshaking horsepower if it's a 550k. Not a screamer, but pretty good, especially for its weight. If the mods (exhaust, HOPEFULLY upjets) were done properly, it might be slightly (like sliiiiightly) more powerful. A great bike, all around. Though as a cafe bike, it's definitely lost a lot of its utility in exchange for looks/aggressive ride position. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yeah, I actually bought it like it is (although with some mechanical issues that needed to be resolved (PO neglect/ignorance). I am at 5280' so I know I lose a bit of power for that. As far as exhausst/jets. The bike has a MAC 4-1 which is probably robbing a little power, 116 main jets, and pod filters. Its running a bit lean right now and the 2/3 coil is kind of spotty. I am planning on doing either a 650cc+836cc big bore kit for a 718cc displacement this winter, or at least a 750cc big bore kit to get it to about 590cc. From my discussions with a guy who has been working on these for as long as they have been around, he thinks with a rebuild, 590cc, and some tuning I can get to about 55whp which is (really) plenty for me.

I wasn't looking for a utilitarian bike so much as something that stood out in the sea of harley's and crotch rockets. So far, I seem to have hit that goal. I rode to Boulder and back last weekend and had no less than 10 people ask about the bike. :)

Simkin posted:

I like the Manx badge on the side cover. It also doesn't look like a half-assed cafe conversion, either.

Nope, its pretty thorough. I plan to get some Taraozzi rearsets to round it out. I thought about replacing the Isle of Man badges with something else (was considering Social Distortion badges) but I kind of like they way they mesh with the bike.

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Don't change the colours, that's perfect as is.

I am still up in the air. I have seen a few red/black ones that I really liked. I figure if I do the teardown/rebuild I will decide then.

Overall, I am happy as can be with the bike. It has a few quirks to get worked out, but I have a great mechanic (Hondaman, for anyone in the know) and its a fun little weekend project/bike. I had been looking at a lot of modern superbikes and just decided I wanted something cool and retro. I love the Thruxton, but screw the payments. I paid cash for this bike, and I think with the few mods I have planned for it it will be as fast as I need. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
got myself another basket case beemer!

1976 R90/6.
here's some of it:

here's some more, on top of some old fashioned heating oil:

here's the cool part:

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
My first bike, I'm lucky to have survived. Looking back at the close calls it was too much too soon. I ended up getting away with just 1 crash on cold, new tires at the track.

After a year or so and a few trackdays I decided that I needed to go racing, because I just wasn't broke enough. For the sake of spares I found another 04. Brand new it was a Willow Springs bike and it eventually made it's way to the Bay Area where I bought it from the third owner. No idea what has been done to the motor but it freaking pulls and there's some pretty cool things done to it otherwise, including a homemade quick-change rear end. It has a Penske shock and a revalved stock front end.

This is from my most recent outing at Reno-Fernley.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

got myself another basket case beemer!

1976 R90/6.
here's some of it:

here's some more, on top of some old fashioned heating oil:

here's the cool part:

Well, it looks like they floated it back. :haw:

Also, where the hell do you find these things?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Doctor Zero posted:

Speaking from experience once you fix up one old bike something magical happens and suddenly everyone you know has an uncle with a barn full of bikes and the classifieds fill up with ads for $100 "probably needs a carb clean" basket cases.

Usually the magic happens after you finish one and tell yourself that you're going to take a break from old bikes and just ride the ones you have.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

Well, it looks like they floated it back. :haw:

fall is the best time to find basket cases on craigslist around here. but most of them are just lovely cheapo japanese bikes like kz440s and poo poo. this /6 was the first fixer upper BMW i had seen listed in like 7 months, and the guy said he had a lot of inquiries on it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I decided I didn't like that my cheap douche saddlebags wanted me to run a flap under my passenger seat. Sometimes I don't want the passenger seat. Re-mounted with a few more tie points, high and tight, with the strap folded back to expose the rear fender. I like it :unsmith:, should be fun tomorrow.

Now to find the rapid-blink turn signal ghost and get it inspected...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
oh and look what i found in the parts list for my new /6 :c00l:

but mine didn't come with one of these :argh:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Cell phone holder! :haw:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Akion posted:

Just thought I'd come in and reiterate that this is a beautiful cafe. Hopefully my GS400 turns out remotely close to this nice.

fannyflaps
Feb 14, 2005

the safest way to meet an attack with a spiked staff when you are armed only with an ordinary walking stick

rifles posted:

Do you die every time you ride that?

It brings out the hell-bent hooligan in you if you let it, thats for sure :haw: I struggle to ride it sensibly

Infinotize posted:

I love those. Wish they brought the 990 SMs here.

Wait, what?! Which 990s do you get? I know that the 990 SMT isn't out in the US, but had no idea you also don't get the SMs?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Welp. Epilogue to my last post-

A bolt I never should have trusted worked its way out, allowed the starboard saddlebag to rotate freely around the z-axis, and sent the bag into the wheel, which would have given me time to notice the situation except the valve stem of the rear tire is on that side. I now have an irrevocable case of atmospheric equilibrium on the rear tire.

Back on the VF500F for a bit...

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Last Septmeber one of the local guys sold me his 01 Fizzy (FZ1) unreasonably cheap, no keys, uncertain operating condition, rash, etc. I got keys made (an adventure in itself, took the triple tree apart to get the switch out) popped in a battery and took it for a ride. At that time, I thought it felt buzzy and the throbbing nature of that buzz really put me off the bike. Compared to the BMW GS, it was not that great a bike so I put it away after stripping it down for a planned conversion to a streetfighter.

Alas, the GS final blew up nicely and I needed a bike-I slapped some Sunset Orange paint on the Fizzy, went for a another couple rides. Well, having run some gas through the bike, I find that it has smoothed out considerably-I get a buzz at about 4K but otherwise it's turbine smooth, and gently caress it is fast. It's enough to make a guy forget that the throttle works both ways, yesterday I pulled an unintentional power wheelie trying to put some distance between myself and a RV close behine me. Item-do not try to run to redline in 1st gear on a FZ1. Unicycle mode engages at 8K rpm.

Portage Lake

Portage river

The chrome bear at the Anchorage Harley Hortique.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

moist turtleneck posted:

I decided it was time for a slight upgrade (The oil is from a car that comes over from time to time, ruining my driveway :()

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I'm not even much of a loud pipes type of guy, but whenever I see big cans with tiny little outlets like that I shed a tear.

Nice lookin' bike(s) though! Details? The rear on that Victory makes the Magna look like a child's toy.

Bucephalus posted:

That's gotta be, what, a 220-section tire?

Sorry about the late response, I completely forgot I had posted in this thread.

The rear tire is a 250/40 R18. It rides surprisingly well even though I end up dragging the pegs a bit earlier than with the Magna. You really have to push against it to lean into corners, but it grips really well. The stability in straight lines is great, though :) The engine acts completely different than the higher-revving V4 and gives good power with really low RPMs, which the Magna had a lot of trouble with. This bike feels like a lateral move in terms of speed, but I was willing to deal with that due to the much better long-term rideability. The Magna always made my knees hurt so bad after just a couple hours of riding. This bike is great for me, but it's definitely not everyone's best pick. I knew I wanted another muscle-cruiser style bike, but I didn't feel brave enough for a VMAX.

edit: Yes, most would probably scoff about the pipes, but it's really nice being able to hear other things around me a little better. I'll ride the Magna if I want to make cool noises in town :cool:

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 7, 2009

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Gnomad posted:

Last Septmeber one of the local guys sold me his 01 Fizzy (FZ1) unreasonably cheap, no keys, uncertain operating condition, rash, etc. I got keys made (an adventure in itself, took the triple tree apart to get the switch out) popped in a battery and took it for a ride. At that time, I thought it felt buzzy and the throbbing nature of that buzz really put me off the bike. Compared to the BMW GS, it was not that great a bike so I put it away after stripping it down for a planned conversion to a streetfighter.

Try lead shot in the bars.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

n8r posted:

Try lead shot in the bars.

After a few tanks of gas, some run time and a good Italian tuneup, the bike is silky smooth and a pleasure to ride. I also took off the Akrapovic and put the stock pipe back on (this action will likely get me banned) so it doesn't have that fart can drone on the highway, which also lowered the vibes.

I have to tell you guys, the first couple rides annoyed me seriously-as in "sell it to the next guy in line for what I paid for it" annoying. Had I paid retail, I'd have been pissed.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Deodorant posted:

My first bike, I'm lucky to have survived. Looking back at the close calls it was too much too soon. I ended up getting away with just 1 crash on cold, new tires at the track.

After a year or so and a few trackdays I decided that I needed to go racing, because I just wasn't broke enough. For the sake of spares I found another 04. Brand new it was a Willow Springs bike and it eventually made it's way to the Bay Area where I bought it from the third owner. No idea what has been done to the motor but it freaking pulls and there's some pretty cool things done to it otherwise, including a homemade quick-change rear end. It has a Penske shock and a revalved stock front end.

This is from my most recent outing at Reno-Fernley.

Who are you racing with?

Gnomad posted:

After a few tanks of gas, some run time and a good Italian tuneup, the bike is silky smooth and a pleasure to ride. I also took off the Akrapovic and put the stock pipe back on (this action will likely get me banned) so it doesn't have that fart can drone on the highway, which also lowered the vibes.

I hate the aftermarket drone too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deodorant
Dec 10, 2006
Pete Doherty's dealer
AFM. Gonna send in an application for the second half of the season tomorrow.

Edit: That's Jen Lauritzen in the background, I think you've done some racing with her.