Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

cypha posted:

Bought my new baby yesterday!

Yamaha XT 660 X Super-Moto! Can't wait to have insurance papers to get to ride it this weekend!

Driving-report to follow...

Weird...looks like super-moto with a comfortable seat. The summer heat must be messing with my vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cypha posted:

Yamaha XT 660 X Super-Moto! Can't wait to have insurance papers to get to ride it this weekend!

nice! Same engine as my Pegaso. Should be lots of fun, very light and easy to chuck around.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cypha posted:

That is cool, why don't we get those :(

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

That is cool, why don't we get those :(

Possibly Yamaha feels the market is locked up for 600+cc comfortable enduros

Friggin' Yamaha, I bet the new Tenere didn't have like five separate recalls its first year

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?

Linedance posted:

nice! Same engine as my Pegaso. Should be lots of fun, very light and easy to chuck around.

i test-drove one for an hour last weekend: they are very comfortable for a supermoto, not as vicious as for a example a ktm or a husaberg.

it vibrates a fair bit because of the huge one-cylinder motor, but torque is amazing. because of the very upright driving position i get a fair share of wind, so i'll get myself a touring-windshield (puig or something similar - the original accessory-shield is ugly as f***).

it turns beautifully, looks and feels "light" but sounds like a tractor. i plan to use it mainly for commuting and for small tours in the hills around vienna.

i planned on buying a supermoto for some time, but things got sped up a bit because my scooter was stolen 2 weeks ago... for the second time in 2 years.

i bought the bike with 1.480 km on the clock, first registered in MAY 2009. the guy selling it is quite old, it's his second bike, and he hated the fact that it's quite high and a bit difficult to mount and unmount at the age of 64 ;-)

so i got this bike like new, low mileage and fully kitted with warranty, first checkup done and paid for and ready for some serious throttle twisting!

another fact that i love: service-intervals are at 10.000 km!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/1248127595.html

MX Motocross Motorcycle Margarita Mixer - $400 (dublin / pleasanton / livermore)
Reply to: sale-gfwu9-1248127595@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 9:27PM PDT

Just in time for MotoGP!

This is a motorcycle themed margarita mixer that was custom built to promote business at corporate events. It is made from aircraft grade 6160 T6 aluminum and features a two stroke Ryobi engine for ice crunching, margarita mixing power. Pull start, bar mounted throttle, levers, bell and kill switch. Has custom made stainless steel pipe, aluminum silencer, and carbon fiber fender. This thing is fast and crazy - a real attention getter!

Mixer was just tuned up with a new carb kit, fuel lines, filter and throttle cable - it is ready to rip. Mix margaritas, or smoothies, or milkshakes anywhere - at race track, company BBQ, tailgating party, campground, backyard - whatever, whenever.

This solid, well built, industrial grade unit is in Pleasanton - serious inquiries only, please. If this ad is still posted, the mixer is still available.

Call Brian at (925)461-1529

Waffleimages is down, pic hosted courtesy of Dietcokefiend:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 1, 2009

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

cypha posted:

Everytime I see this or the Tenere I hate Yamaha that much more for not bringing these to the US market.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
A rider at the Dust 2 Dawson had a Tenere and everyone who saw it said the same thing- "Why doesn't Yamaha bring these here?"

Of course we know why-the riders who would buy one already have BMW GS's or KLR's, depending on which way the bank account turns. Americans treat bikes like weekend toys and there isn't much poseur value in a lanky V Twin with knobbies. Now if Yamaha marketed them as SUV's, I think they might do well.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SUB's maybe? Sport Utility Bike kinda has a ring to it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gnomad posted:

A rider at the Dust 2 Dawson had a Tenere and everyone who saw it said the same thing- "Why doesn't Yamaha bring these here?"

Of course we know why-the riders who would buy one already have BMW GS's or KLR's, depending on which way the bank account turns. Americans treat bikes like weekend toys and there isn't much poseur value in a lanky V Twin with knobbies. Now if Yamaha marketed them as SUV's, I think they might do well.

I think of my ZZR1200 as a SUV. Lotta storage space, theoretical offroad performance, and a big engine. :v:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gnomad posted:

a lanky V Twin with knobbies

The Tenere's a thump, like the rest of the 660's? Single cylinder.

A v-twin built like the KLR or the Tenere would be hell of such as neat. I think the only examples like that that we see here are the large KTMs and the Stroms. Personally I already think of the enduro segment as SUVs, especially since there's a large portion of it that never really sees the offroad.

Mans Ruin
Oct 25, 2005
Horror Punk Rocker
Ok cornering question here. I'm brand new to biking, have only ridden for a week or so. I've a 95 Honda Rebel, and currently corners on it are feeling weird.

Obviously some of it is first week nerves etc, though I'm getting more confident, however I seem to always be learning OPPOSITE the curve on corners (I'm sure this is an old cycling habit).

I know cruisers dont corner as fast as sportier bikes, but leaning in to the curve just feels 100% WRONG to me. I guess I'm trying too hard to keep the bike upright, not letting it lean at all.

What can I do? Should you lean into curves on cruisers?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Mans Ruin posted:

Ok cornering question here. I'm brand new to biking, have only ridden for a week or so. I've a 95 Honda Rebel, and currently corners on it are feeling weird.

Obviously some of it is first week nerves etc, though I'm getting more confident, however I seem to always be learning OPPOSITE the curve on corners (I'm sure this is an old cycling habit).

I know cruisers dont corner as fast as sportier bikes, but leaning in to the curve just feels 100% WRONG to me. I guess I'm trying too hard to keep the bike upright, not letting it lean at all.

What can I do? Should you lean into curves on cruisers?

You should be countersteering on any motorcycle. It takes getting used to. Practice in parkling lots or on low traffic side streets. One trick I learned is to take your weight off the opposite hand, otherwise your brain will stiffen your opposite arm muscles and fight your lean. Just relax, push the bar, and have faith that the laws of physics work for all people equally. :)

And yes, I ride a cruiser too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Mans Ruin posted:

If you lean your body away from the curve, you are actually leaning the bike itself more. By leaning into the curve, the bike stays more upright. This is good because it lets you take a turn faster before scraping hard parts or losing traction and gives you more room if you need to turn harder to avoid an obstacle.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
Heres a good bike for you beginners.

http://merced.craigslist.org/mcy/1248019394.html

Good Bike for a Beginner!!! (Modesto)
Reply to: sale-7vdxg-1248019394@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 7:39PM PDT

I have an '00 Kawasaki Ninja Zx7r. It runs good and has a clean title and current tags. Call or text me to come see it (209)535-1116. I might consider trading for a nice quad also! $4,000/bo casg, is my asking price.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Chairon posted:

Heres a good bike for you beginners.

http://merced.craigslist.org/mcy/1248019394.html

Good Bike for a Beginner!!! (Modesto)
Reply to: sale-7vdxg-1248019394@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-06-30, 7:39PM PDT

I have an '00 Kawasaki Ninja Zx7r. It runs good and has a clean title and current tags. Call or text me to come see it (209)535-1116. I might consider trading for a nice quad also! $4,000/bo casg, is my asking price.

It's got 120 HP but it's only a 750 cc so it has to be a good starter bike! :smithicide:

Was that posted by Jack the Smack? :iceburn:

cypha
Aug 26, 2004
me?
hell yeah: registered the bike today and drove to work... totally unexpected wheely happened on a straight after a traffic light: fun times! it's an yamaha xt660x supermoto in white...

i just can't get over flinching every time i hear the sound of metal on metal outside of the office - everytime somebody on the construction site nearby drops anything i think it's my beauty being hit by a car ;-)

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Phy posted:

The Tenere's a thump, like the rest of the 660's? Single cylinder.

A v-twin built like the KLR or the Tenere would be hell of such as neat. I think the only examples like that that we see here are the large KTMs and the Stroms. Personally I already think of the enduro segment as SUVs, especially since there's a large portion of it that never really sees the offroad.

OK, I coulda swore that Yamaha had a 750 twin dualsport...... I do know they brought the TDM here for a couple years but the motorcycle press did not approve and they sold poorly. For the riding I do a fair amount of the TDM would ne a great bike, I almost bought one but the seller got a bit flaky on me.

Fake edit-this was the bike I was thinking of and figured that the new Tenere was an evolution of this. 750cc twin dualsport.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20C/Yamaha%20XTZ750%2089%20%201.jpg

And after all, why research a bike you'll never see in the US?

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

SUB's maybe? Sport Utility Bike kinda has a ring to it.

Buell sort of marketed the Ulysses as such.

It is a nice bike, insurance costs ruled it out for me. For dirt roading it's a bit short and tall, OTOH it's easy to pick up again. I've seen it done a couple times. They are prone to falling over in the dirt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
i noticed a strange thing since i got my /6 BMW and joined a related mailing list. there are actually different subgroups of BMW riders who don't like each other. BMW accounts for like 3% of bike sales in america, so the idea of that tiny group of people balkanizing and shaking fists at each other seems just a little goddamn silly to me.

there are at least 3 subgroups:

1. vintage/antique. this would be my group. almost everyone in this group is a rich son of a bitch who also owns a modern expensive touring BMW.

2. modern. overlaps with #1. these are the typical BMW owners who have the ewan mcgregor model with 8 headlights, gps, and an aerostich suit. they ride their ewan mcgregor bikes to the annual rally and discuss their GPS software with the other moderns. they only know groups 1 and 3 by the BMW logo on their bikes.

3. airheads. this is the official name for the most budget friendly BMWs, made from 1970 to mid 80s or so. and people in this group apparently don't like the modernites with their dealer-serviced rides. and they don't like the rally because they don't have a garmin zumo to show off to the other moderners. i just got one of these bikes, and i think they'd like me because i got the bike in 40 pieces. but they wouldn't like me because i'm going to the rally. but they might like me because i have no gps...

4. i think there might be another group for the people who ride the non-boxer twin bikes but i'm not sure. these bikes of course have no soul, especially the inline 4s.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

i noticed a strange thing since i got my /6 BMW and joined a related mailing list. there are actually different subgroups of BMW riders who don't like each other. BMW accounts for like 3% of bike sales in america, so the idea of that tiny group of people balkanizing and shaking fists at each other seems just a little goddamn silly to me.

there are at least 3 subgroups:

1. vintage/antique. this would be my group. almost everyone in this group is a rich son of a bitch who also owns a modern expensive touring BMW.

2. modern. overlaps with #1. these are the typical BMW owners who have the ewan mcgregor model with 8 headlights, gps, and an aerostich suit. they ride their ewan mcgregor bikes to the annual rally and discuss their GPS software with the other moderns. they only know groups 1 and 3 by the BMW logo on their bikes.

3. airheads. this is the official name for the most budget friendly BMWs, made from 1970 to mid 80s or so. and people in this group apparently don't like the modernites with their dealer-serviced rides. and they don't like the rally because they don't have a garmin zumo to show off to the other moderners. i just got one of these bikes, and i think they'd like me because i got the bike in 40 pieces. but they wouldn't like me because i'm going to the rally. but they might like me because i have no gps...

4. i think there might be another group for the people who ride the non-boxer twin bikes but i'm not sure. these bikes of course have no soul, especially the inline 4s.

I think there may be a rare K-series "group" (per se), but you wouldn't hear from them because they probably don't know what an "internet" is. If encountered in the wild and spoken too they sort of regard you with a 100 mile stare and appear covered in a thin layer of flies and beard. Most likely to have a shovel or broom inexplicably tied with rope (not shock cord) to the the side of their bike.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
I attended a function at the local BMW club (this was before I owned one) and we went for a ride. Fully half of the riders were on other brands. Even the BMW club here doesn't like BMW's.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What's the difference between a BMW rider meet and an upside-down porcupine, etc.

constant gulping
Sep 22, 2005

Relax!

i noticed a strange thing since i got my /6 BMW

Before I first bought my BMW last year, I didn't know a lot about them. Slowly I started to join all the forums and mailing lists, and I've learned a great deal. I also noticed the weird hierarchy that you described, it's just strange that there are subcultures within subcultures within...

One group you forgot to mention are the purists, they scare me, I'm afraid to post that I put electronic ignition on my /5. I would hate to feel the wrath of the points and condenser gods.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Oh, how I love the GSR. A third of the members are just members from habit. They "had" a GS, but still like the crowd.

There's gentle ribbing about shafties versus chain bikes. But otherwise? we all ride bikes. We all drool over (and many own) the new stuff. And still enjoy the classic iron.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

constant gulping posted:

One group you forgot to mention are the purists, they scare me, I'm afraid to post that I put electronic ignition on my /5. I would hate to feel the wrath of the points and condenser gods.
i consider myself a purist. in that if someone takes a 1955 BMW and puts 8 foot long forks on it to make a chopper, i'd wish he were dead. but i don't see that things like electronic ignition are a problem. that just improves reliability and rideability.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ofrr_LWKLE

Most awesome video :c00lbert:

constant gulping
Sep 22, 2005

Relax!

1955 BMW and puts 8 foot long forks on it to make a chopper, i'd wish he were dead.

What's that?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Gnomad posted:

Buell sort of marketed the Ulysses as such.

It is a nice bike, insurance costs ruled it out for me. For dirt roading it's a bit short and tall, OTOH it's easy to pick up again. I've seen it done a couple times. They are prone to falling over in the dirt.

I was up in Park City yesterday and I saw 2 sets of motor cops riding Ulysses(es?). They had them kitted up and they looked pretty good.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

constant gulping posted:

What's that?
yes i saw that on advrider and i wish that guy were dead.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I just rode 375 miles on an 09 250 Ninja. It's a fun bike, but they definitely didn't design it to be ridden for that long.

I need to go sit on something soft now.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I've seen 3 Can-Am Spyders out on the streets in the past week, 2 parked on the side and 1 actually being ridden but block by a car so I couldn't take a good look.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Chris Knight posted:

I've seen 3 Can-Am Spyders out on the streets in the past week, 2 parked on the side and 1 actually being ridden but block by a car so I couldn't take a good look.

I saw one pull out the other day in London and the guy gave it some beans. I was expecting awesome but it actually looked really loving scary when he lit it up. All over the road. :(

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

8ender posted:

I saw one pull out the other day in London and the guy gave it some beans. I was expecting awesome but it actually looked really loving scary when he lit it up. All over the road. :(

I've seen one parked here and there around here. Only once did I see one on the road and the guy managed to stall it at a light.

Still, wouldn't mind taking one for a spin.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, but it seems like they just started appearing on the roads a week ago or something. I just saw 5 or so in the last week, after having not seen any in months.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Uthor posted:

I've seen one parked here and there around here. Only once did I see one on the road and the guy managed to stall it at a light.

Still, wouldn't mind taking one for a spin.

A co-worker of mine has one with all the oddball features (hand-shifting with rpm synchro, feelbad ABS, no right-hand brake lever), apart from having to remind yourself that the left-hand lever isn't a clutch, it's drives just like a quad.

McSpatula fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 6, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, I don't know what the deal is, but it seems like they just started appearing on the roads a week ago or something. I just saw 5 or so in the last week, after having not seen any in months.

Saw my first one a couple days ago. I guess it's just like the Piaggo MP3 or a Harley/Goldwing trike in that you will see a whole bunch of bikes go by followed lastly by the lame duck riding one of these. Often the rider is obese.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Nate Falls posted:

I've been seeing them for a long time. I think the first one I saw was late last year.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Gnaghi posted:

Saw my first one a couple days ago. I guess it's just like the Piaggo MP3 or a Harley/Goldwing trike in that you will see a whole bunch of bikes go by followed lastly by the lame duck riding one of these. Often the rider is obese.

Ha, I thought I was the only one to notice this. I saw a pair of folks riding one doing burnouts at every light with no gear. I think I'll stick to two wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gnaghi posted:

Those MP3s cut and jibe with the best of the couriers and chinese food delivery scooters out there. I wouldn't put them in the same category as a Can Am or a big trike... at least the MP3 can fit between cars.