Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Urban Renewal posted:

I kinda want to see if I can get to and attend the go congress for free. it can't be that hard, hotels have lots of entrances

you will get shot, this is big money we are talking about here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Urban Renewal posted:

I sort of figure it takes up the better part of a hotel, am I picturing this too large?

Lessons in the Fundamentals of Go is the top basics book that gets tossed around in ITGO. I haven't yet read it myself, but I plan to.

Lessons is a fun read, but it's really not for beginners. The consensus I've heard is that if it has the words "Beginner," "Fundamentals," or "Elementary" in the title, it's too advanced for beginners, with a couple exceptions.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 30, 2009

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

Under 15 posted:

you will get shot, this is big money we are talking about here

We've got a plan, and that's where you come in :c00l:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Kenning posted:

Lessons is a fun read, but it's really not for beginners. The consensus I've heard is that if it has the words "Beginner," "Fundamentals," or "Elementary" in the title, it's too advanced for beginners, with a couple exceptions.

Agreed. I started reading Lessons at 18kyu and it was mainly over my head.

I recommend the The second book of go http://www.kiseido.com/Begin2.htm#K31

Even though it's a "second book" I looked at it the other day and if you've been with ITGO for about 4 days you should be ready for it.

Alternatively Cho Chikun is cool and while I haven't seen his book, Go: A Complete Introduction to the Game, a lot of people like it.

Wutang-Yutani CORP
Sep 25, 2005

CORPORATIONS
RULE
EVERYTHING
AROUND
ME

Pillow Face posted:

Seriously. Do chess players have to deal with this kind of frustration?

yes

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...
There are anime chess nuts? Or, dare I ask, something worse?

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002
Is there a big problem with people leaving games on KGS? I just tried out playing my first game ever on a 19x19 board (after reading through Graded Go Problems vol.1 and playing 9x9 against my phone) and the guy I played left the game after I won the first corner. Does this really only happen in the 18-30kyu range, or do you see a lot of it all over?

My name on KGS is annually if anyone wants to send me an invite to the goons room pretty please.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

Bathroompants posted:

Is there a big problem with people leaving games on KGS? I just tried out playing my first game ever on a 19x19 board (after reading through Graded Go Problems vol.1 and playing 9x9 against my phone) and the guy I played left the game after I won the first corner. Does this really only happen in the 18-30kyu range, or do you see a lot of it all over?

My name on KGS is annually if anyone wants to send me an invite to the goons room pretty please.

It happens more often at that level. But you're going to see it at any level you play at. You can break past that range pretty quickly though. So just keep at it, KGS is worth it.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Sounds like you got unlucky, it doesn't really happen all that often. Eventually, chronic escapers start getting all their games marked as losses.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Here's my new go loot.

It's hard to tell, but there are some gold dragons on the board, and the bottom and sides are bound in leather.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

comaerror posted:

Here's my new go loot.
It's hard to tell, but there are some gold dragons on the board, and the bottom and sides are bound in leather.

How much did you get this for? I have the same board (albeit with a different picture) but I'm pretty sure my brother hosed up buying it. It was in a Beijing marketplace and it was his first time bartering; the guy said "1200 yuan", my brother said "600" then the guy grins, shakes his hand, and says "SOLD"

Sprek
Jul 5, 2004
Doing life/death problems is the fastest way to jump levels. Anyone else use SmartGo for the ipod touch / iphone? It's incredible.. there's 2000 problems over a huge range of levels, 30k - 6d. It also has 10,000 pro games. I'm almost 3k, so sometimes it's hard to understand what's going on in the pro games, but I do think it's helpful to some extent.. taking in the shapes and the direction of play.

The last go tournament I went to I used my ipod touch to record my games, although I could only record half the moves before the byo-yomi periods started (I move slowly). Has anyone else tried to record tournament games? I don't think I'm going to do it again in the future. I might try to record it from memory afterward, but during the game it's a bit of a distraction.

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

Argue posted:

How much did you get this for? I have the same board (albeit with a different picture) but I'm pretty sure my brother hosed up buying it. It was in a Beijing marketplace and it was his first time bartering; the guy said "1200 yuan", my brother said "600" then the guy grins, shakes his hand, and says "SOLD"

$70.99 USD. I got it from Yellow Mountain Imports.

Bathroompants
Aug 19, 2002

Sprek posted:

Doing life/death problems is the fastest way to jump levels. Anyone else use SmartGo for the ipod touch / iphone? It's incredible.. there's 2000 problems over a huge range of levels, 30k - 6d. It also has 10,000 pro games. I'm almost 3k, so sometimes it's hard to understand what's going on in the pro games, but I do think it's helpful to some extent.. taking in the shapes and the direction of play.

The last go tournament I went to I used my ipod touch to record my games, although I could only record half the moves before the byo-yomi periods started (I move slowly). Has anyone else tried to record tournament games? I don't think I'm going to do it again in the future. I might try to record it from memory afterward, but during the game it's a bit of a distraction.

Ive been using SmartGo, not SmartGo pro where you only get to play games. I've been thinking about getting it so I can have problems to work on when I'm not at home. Just using regular SmartGo and a beginners book, I started out at 20k, and I still haven't been able to unlock the 13x13 board by beating the phone on 9x9 with no handicap. I've been toying with the idea of getting Pro but its kind of on the expensive side as far as apps go.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Mez posted:

DGS makes me giggle: "90 days + 1 day per move and 10 extra periods"

I like DGS, but that default time setting sucks balls.

My primary issue with it is that if you play against some guy who stops playing after a week, you'll have that same game left open for over three months. That's just too much: people who stop playing for more than two weeks (without setting vacation time) are either dead or lost interest.

Fischer time is far superior for DGS: I always play with 14 days main time and 2 days extra per move. It means that as long as you keep playing at least one move every 2 days, you'll never run out of time. And if you would stop playing for a week or something, it'll only take 7 quick moves to get back up to 14. On the other hand, if you really stop playing for more than 14 days, the game won't stay on your games list for several months but will time out fairly quickly.

It makes for games where you always have a comfortable margin of time if you check your moves once a day, and people who stop playing will get the gently caress out of your games list.

(To be technically correct, it's not really real Fischer time in that you can never go above your starting time. If you set 14 days, 14 will always be the maximum amount of time left in your time bank. Actual Fischer time would let you go above that. But that would suck.)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Everyone says play a some games on a full board to see if you'll like go, but that didn't work for me the few times I tried it.

I recently played a couple games on a 9x9 board, and carefully reviewed the games, and to my surprise, I think I will like Go (and feel kinda cramped on the 9x9 board).

What have I done to myself?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

helopticor posted:

Everyone says play a some games on a full board to see if you'll like go, but that didn't work for me the few times I tried it.

I recently played a couple games on a 9x9 board, and carefully reviewed the games, and to my surprise, I think I will like Go (and feel kinda cramped on the 9x9 board).

What have I done to myself?

I encourage 19x19 games for learning because the curve in go is bad enough; it's a difficult game already, and 9x9 is a board with very little margin for error or room for comebacks. It's hard to review a nublet on a 9x9 because there is there is a very real chance that black has hopelessly hosed himself over by the fifth move. The other bad thing about 9x9 is that it will not teach you a lot of skills you need to know on the 19x19, which is ultimately the only board that counts.

It's fine to play 9x9 for fun, but you won't have any fun playing go if you don't learn anything. You will just get your rear end beat a million times for reasons people won't be able to explain in a way you can understand, and you will quit. I do admit if someone tutored themselves to shodan on a 9x9 they would be a loving force to be reckoned with, but I've never seen anyone even make it past 18k doing it, let alone 1d. For reference, 16k is about the first rank where you play something that resembles a game of go :v:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

I encourage 19x19 games for learning because the curve in go is bad enough; it's a difficult game already, and 9x9 is a board with very little margin for error or room for comebacks.
The few times I tried starting to learn on a 9x9 board, I was 100% lost, and wasn't having any fun. I understood the rules and pretty much nothing else (I didn't know about playto back then).

quote:

It's hard to review a nublet on a 9x9 because there is there is a very real chance that black has hopelessly hosed himself over by the fifth move.
Yeah, but that doesn't matter unless the "nublet" is obsessed with winning, does it? All that matters is that they learn some things about how things should be played, which at this level probably means things like "don't forget to be aware of what stones are in atari".

quote:

The other bad thing about 9x9 is that it will not teach you a lot of skills you need to know on the 19x19, which is ultimately the only board that counts.
That's why I'll be moving up to it as soon as I feel comfortable, which probably means in like one more game.

quote:

It's fine to play 9x9 for fun, but you won't have any fun playing go if you don't learn anything.
Maybe you underestimate how little someone I knew when I started playing it? I felt like I learned a lot in 2 games on a 9x9 board. Then I felt like I didn't learn any more on the third game, and moved up to a 13x13 for a game, where I learned a bit more (and thus had fun), but it's still clear to me that I should move to a 19x19 board as soon as possible.

In summary, a 19x19 board is really intimidating and confusing if you jump right into it, but I think I agree that playing on 13x13's or smaller won't be fun for long.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, a 9x9 is fine for learning the most basic poo poo, like the rules and whatever, because it's done and over in ten minutes and you can try again if you don't understand. There's no point in playing a 19x19 if you really have no clue what is going on, since it's just going to take longer and be boring.

I think we are not on the same timescale here though. You have to do a lot of losing like a motherfucker to even learn enough to consider yourself 'bad' at go - I'm not talking about how your first game must be on a 19x19 or even your first ten, but your first hundred. You have to do everything you can to stay sane or you will burn out.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Under 15 posted:

I think we are not on the same timescale here though.
Sorry about that; of course you're right.

Under 15 posted:

...first hundred...
Oh, I understand completely. I've read through this whole thread, etc. I'm in awe that I'm enjoying this (non-go?, pseudo-go?, whatever it is I'm doing in my first 50 games) at all. Since I don't really like any other games of strategy, I'm finally giving Go a real shot.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

...I do admit if someone tutored themselves to shodan on a 9x9 they would be a loving force to be reckoned with...

This seemed like a fun idea for a second. Can you imagine? But then I realized I actually can't. It seems like global strategy would be integral for someone to reach shodan. And while fighting is paramount on a 9x9 board, the fighting is different than an intense bout of fighting on, say, the full board. Groups don't run on a 9x9.

This is such a derail but it stuck out at me. Let me get back on topic.

helopticor posted:

Since I don't really like any other games of strategy, I'm finally giving Go a real shot.

Go's more like a way of life!!! :yarr:

I feel your pain, though. It takes a long time to be okay at Go. I've been playing for like a year and I'm pretty much certifiably "below average." Keep at it, though. Go is really entertaining.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

qxan posted:

This seemed like a fun idea for a second. Can you imagine? But then I realized I actually can't. It seems like global strategy would be integral for someone to reach shodan. And while fighting is paramount on a 9x9 board, the fighting is different than an intense bout of fighting on, say, the full board. Groups don't run on a 9x9.

This is such a derail but it stuck out at me. Let me get back on topic.

if a dude seriously made it to shodan playing 9x9 his life and death will be way better than anyone he plays and so will his endgame. One read of Attack and Defense later and he would probably jump up to 3d

Life and Death skill is what the game is all about, when it comes down to it. That is why despite well-planned strategy and style, nine year old korean kids can kick you in the dick without even having to pay attention to the game.

EDIT: poo poo that kghin kid is eleven and he went from 4-dan to 7-dan in a year

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Under 15 posted:

if a dude seriously made it to shodan playing 9x9 his life and death will be way better than anyone he plays and so will his endgame. One read of Attack and Defense later and he would probably jump up to 3d

Life and Death skill is what the game is all about, when it comes down to it. That is why despite well-planned strategy and style, nine year old korean kids can kick you in the dick without even having to pay attention to the game.

EDIT: poo poo that kghin kid is eleven and he went from 4-dan to 7-dan in a year

Disagree. It's all about well planned strategy and style. The Korean kids just are much better at that than us, too!!

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
if life and death were the most important part of go computers would be a lot better at it than they are

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I always get quite tense during matches. Assuming this isn't totally abnormal, how do you deal with the pressure?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

if life and death were the most important part of go computers would be a lot better at it than they are

One of the biggest benefits of Life and Death skills is that you know when to tenuki :ssh:

mogobot will tenuki like a motherfucker but it sure as hell isnt based on any kind of positional judgement

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

qxan posted:

Go is really entertaining.

I just played my first 19x19 game, and I have to agree. Also, I don't know if I can ever go back to smaller boards.

Edit: I'm pretty sure they exist, but I'm having trouble guessing the right search terms and/or clicking on the right links. Is there a program for windows (or just a website) that will calculate answers to simple life-and-death problems? I know that someone at Sensei's Library seems to be working on one, but I can't compile the code, etc.

Edit2: It may not be the easiest program to use, but having GoKnot play in the area until both players were passing seemed to work ok. I'm still open to suggestions though.

dirby fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 5, 2009

asylum years
Feb 27, 2009

you knew i was a rattlesnake when you picked me up
I wish I could join you guys on KGS, but I have connection issues these days. I play at dragongoserver.net as "augustine" though, if anyone wants a game. Also, I've got two big floor-type boards (with legs) from my local go club that I might be giving away when I move, though you'd have to pay shipping from Japan. Still, might be cheaper than buying one elsewhere, if it's something you've really wanted.

xau
Oct 20, 2002

Crashed fifteen hundred and seven systems in one day. Biggest crash in history.

Rated PG-34 posted:

I always get quite tense during matches. Assuming this isn't totally abnormal, how do you deal with the pressure?
Try playing faster games, and play a little below your skill level. If you always play all your ranked games like they're the final match of the most important tournament in the world, you're going to feel like you have to go all out every other game too. If you get your rank to match your skill level when relaxed you'll be able to play more relaxed games. Also, if things get complicated, you'll learn more and have more fun if you gently caress up and review it later when there's no pressure than if you spend 4 hours biting your nails to find a good move.

Time is the most important factor, to me. The longer a game is, the more invested you are in it. The longer you think about a move, the more obligated you feel to make it a good one. Try ultrablitz - you won't have time to feel tense. Find a happy medium.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yeah, don't worry. Sometimes I psyche myself out of playing games because I get the fear, but it really happens to everyone. Do what xau said. It is good advice. You might also want to try a few Free games as opposed to Ranked ones and going "I can lose this and life will go on."

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I think my edits may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Does anyone know of a better way to use a Windows computer (or website) to attempt to analyze life and death problems than seeing how GoKnot deals with the situation?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn

helopticor posted:

I think my edits may have gotten lost in the shuffle. Does anyone know of a better way to use a Windows computer (or website) to attempt to analyze life and death problems than seeing how GoKnot deals with the situation?

I'd honestly just post them in ITGO if you have questions about one you can't figure out yourself.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah if the problem doesn't have a solution with it I don't know of any programs that will solve it for you. Granted, I don't keep up with any new developments in the computer go world so I'm probably not the best person to answer the question.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Urban Renewal posted:

I'd honestly just post them in ITGO if you have questions about one you can't figure out yourself.

Thanks. I suppose that's the next best thing. I just wanted something that I could use quickly and whenever I wanted.

Lyon posted:

Yeah if the problem doesn't have a solution with it I don't know of any programs that will solve it for you.

Well, if the problem is simple enough, a regular program that plays should be able to play it perfectly. That's my reasoning with GoKnot, anyway.

Edit: Tenuki Suit:

Click here for the full 939x978 image.

dirby fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 8, 2009

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
i'm so sorry for not playing... i will return in seoptemeber... i will post another move..!!

cerror
Feb 11, 2008

helopticor posted:

Thanks. I suppose that's the next best thing. I just wanted something that I could use quickly and whenever I wanted.

Well, if the problem is simple enough, a regular program that plays should be able to play it perfectly. That's my reasoning with GoKnot, anyway.

Edit: Tenuki Suit:

Click here for the full 939x978 image.

I saw this towards the beginning last night and wondered what it was going to be. Good job. :)

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
so a while ago I said I was going to post my go loot, well, I know a lot of people have stayed up many sleepless nights waiting for this so here it is -

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

The three books are Attack and Defense, Life and Death, and Go for Beginners which is usually loaned out to someone. The tiny board is a magnetic folder that I got in Japan and the big board is some YMI thing I forgot the specs of.

Detail of the board/stones:

Click here for the full 640x480 image.

This picture turned out super lovely but whatever. The board is fairly banged up from several years of regular use and transportation but its still my homie.

Not pictured: That lovely $20 board you can find at toystores that everyone seems to have. It's sitting around somewhere.

Post ur go loot

TheLastMojew
Apr 27, 2008
I saw this thread about two days ago, tried my hand at it and now I'm hooked. I'm on KGS as Mariner.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

Everyone should play Go. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

qxan posted:

Everyone should play Go. :3:

I'm getting the impression that everyone sucks at go, with the people who haven't started yet sucking the most of all.

Come to KGS and suck less!