Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

that was about 5 seconds fyi. the timestamps didnt copy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Bumbled around in Enoch storyline!

+1 XP for roleplaying!

115 XP total.

+1 AXP for entering a dream realm for the first time!
+1 AXP for learning a little more about vampire powers!

61 AXP total.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

hell yes eleven AXP until gnosis 4!

Nicolae Carpathia fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 28, 2009

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

I think one of my favorite spells that I can't cast and don't plan to is Martyr's Bequest, page 195 of the Silver Ladder book. It's Death 3, and it kills the caster instantly. But if you combine it with Life 3, Mind 3, and/or Prime 3, you can distribute your remaining Health, Willpower, and/or Mana to your nearby allies.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
sorry about last night - my connection died and I couldn't get in to fix it :smith:

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
-tough ghost
-zombie army

yeah i'm pretty much set. what about yall

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

dream team owns

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
we're also going to destroy an intruder

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Thor. Matryoshka. Tombheart.

Three Mages. One goal. Nothing to lose.

Coming this summer.

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

that was about 5 seconds fyi. the timestamps didnt copy

why'd you leave

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

a man of ill repute posted:

why'd you leave

was tired

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

he left because he's not a true Mage Bro

he's, like, a Mage First Cousin

at best

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

friendlyuncle

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

friendlyuncle

friendlyuncle at least knows cool tricks

what cool tricks do you do, besides falling asleep midway through fights

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
so listen, it's pretty late but if some more of you are around you could show up in irc and we could take care of a few loose ends prior to escape from witch mountain? something about zombie wolf armies???

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

<ill_repute> 14He hesitates for a moment. "We could convince him to fight for us without needing to bargain mor- They already serve the abyss by virtue of their actions. The only reason we let that Obr-Chisel go is because she was too powerful to subdue."
<brennon> "Thats still a crap deal for two seers man, wouldn't he just be happy with some magical trinket from Enoch's place instead of a pair of-" 7Thor adopts a sophisticated tone. "-Awakened Ones.?"
<dammitwho> "A pretty rationalization- worthy of a Guardian. Come on, Tombheart! If mystic truth is sacred and precious, how much more sacred is an Awakened soul? How can we give *two* such away, no matter how much dross we get in return? Assuming they are even ours to dispose of as we choose, which I do not grant."
<ill_repute> 14He adopts his iconic sneer. "They've sold themselves to Pancryptia. They're already lost."
<ill_repute> "Suppose we allow them to walk out of here. What happens next? They'll just go back to burning their- our! birthright!"
<dammitwho> "Which was what they were doing before we arrived. But if we were to go through with your deal... Tombheart, you are quite literally offering to sacrifice the sublime on the altar of the profane, in the center of the largest ley-line convergence for hundreds of miles in any direction. Which has, I might add, already had one Abyssal intrusion so far."
<dammitwho> "Quite apart from the moral concerns, the mystic implications of this act are appalling enough that I would urge you to reconsider."
<brennon> 7Thor sighs. "We can sort this out later you mysterium nerds, we've gotta come up with something fast either way here; the vampire was gonna come by at sundown I'm pretty sure."
<ill_repute> 14He waves Thor away. "Believe me when I say I'm far more concerned about the mystical implications of being splattered all over this mountain by the Exarch's slaves."
<ill_repute> "I may be too rigid in my doctrines. Maybe. But you're straying dangerously close to agreeing with the libertines, Arrian."
<dammitwho> "Deals involving magic are always fraught with resonance and echoes beyond their initial meaning, and in this case giving Awakened magic to be consumed by one of the Damned is ritualistically destroying the Supernal by medium of the foulest thing available."
<@Ferrinus> 12Damn, he's got a point. Of course, he may end up taking it with him to the grave thanks to a lack of vampiric backup, but...
<dammitwho> "In an area already wracked with Paradox and Intrusion. I advise caution, Tombheart. If that is a libertine ideal, fetch me a PDA and sign me up for Twitter."

and i was like drat.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Bumbled around in Enoch storyline!

+1 XP for roleplaying!
+1 XP for i just total mystagogue ownage in my face wow

117 XP total.

61 AXP total.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

btw i'd like to play tomorrow...perhaps actually Make The Escape...??? ionno. the thing is i might be busy for much of tomorrow and no doubt many of you will be as well sooo

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

i'm gonna go and hang out with all my friends and drink beer and eat food and listen to a cool band on the largest speakers in three counties sorry

Gul Banana
Nov 28, 2003

Did you know: Belarus is 40% forest by land area.

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
by tomorrow do you mean today

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i meant saturday, the fourth, but my guess is that nothing will be occurring in the wonderful world of mage at this time

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

i meant saturday, the fourth, but my guess is that nothing will be occurring in the wonderful world of mage at this time

noooooooooo

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I am down to play today

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
give us experience for

-

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

quote:

(P.S. As an aside, I got to glance at the piece of unmitigated crap that White Wolf is passing off as the latest edition of Mage: The Ascension and oh, my ghod, what an inexusable nuclear whale abortion it is. I declare the White Wolf fad officially done. Whoever the heck is writing their stuff these days has not even the slightest understanding of what it was that made their game universe's previous edition at all cool or interesting.)

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

oh, my ghod,

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

i was away for the weekend and i missed tombheart getting Owned but i guess i could play now :kiddo:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

whoops i forgot to post the link: http://bradhicks.livejournal.com/249684.html

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

so tell me about owod mage, what was wrong with it and what were the good parts

what was wrong with owod that they replaced the whole thing, for that matter

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

---spirit nuke---

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

also what did i miss last session besides tombheart getting owned by arrian

did we decide on what to do with adrian and the seers

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

(1) the spheres (arcana) you used could determine both the effect and mechanism of effect, which was bad because,
(2) coincidental magic was entirely based on "consensual reality," so like...in the dark ages, splashing Spirit into any spell made it coincidental because of The Power Of Prayer but in modernity everything with Entropy (the old fate + death) was "oh, that just happened," so a Forces 3 damage spell alone would be vulgar fireballs, but Forces 3 + Entropy 2 is "oh, that powerline was old and the connection came loose and ZZZAP," which was made further bullshit by the fact that
(3) the main bad guys were all high-tech for their magical foci, so they'd just use laser cannons for the aforementioned Forces 3 by itself and it'd be coincidental because Lasers

plus there's the whole fact that the whole thing amounted to a giant pissing contest between people who wanted to say their reality was the Right One, it wasn't that the Traditions (protagonists in core, basically) were Saving The World it was that they were saving their perception of the world in an effort to make more people believe that, like, magic HAPPENS, maaaan meanwhile the technocracy was dedicated to stamping out reality deviants and saying that Science Is King even though they were actually using magic, knowingly, the whole drat time

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

oh and it turned out the technocracy's board of directors / big bosses were actually an empty table that their Perception of Reality made them think was a governing body that facelessly dictated bureaucratic rules and order.

and also after SPIRIT NUKE they couldn't go into the umbra (owod twilight) without taking either agg or lethal damage, i forget which. the official reason in-game was "spirit storm" but the mechanical reason was that the werewolf dev didn't like having the spirit world NOT be the exclusive province of werewolves

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

spirit... nuke...?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

a lot of the same things were wrong with D&D3.5 as were wrong with oWOD. The mechanics were made by scores of different teams with little interest in balance or interoperability, significant portions of the fluff were built around gazing in awe at some writer's pet NPC leftover from one of his tabletop games, everything that stands is at odds with its neighbor, everything that falls perishes without grace

oWOD specifically had a problem where it had a huge metaplot that drove every product released and if you didn't feel like following the adventures of the White Wolf NPCs in your game then gently caress YOU you don't get to use half the freaking books

oMage was based around the conceit that reality was consensual and people with Avatar shards bolted on to their souls could believe just that bit harder than the plebs around them, allowing them to do magic and starting a war to define the dominant paradigm of reality. this had the problems that CPP outlines, but had additional problems in that there were a bunch of different Traditions that represented the different approaches to magic that you could take and they were like

Merlin Wizards
Blood Witches
Hippies who do magic with sex drugs and rock and roll
unga bunga brown people who do magic w/drums
steampunk dr. frankensteins using magic zeppelins and crushing their enemies with SCIENCE!!!! HAHAHAHA SCIENCE!!!!! :gbs:
magic hackers
Every kung fu movie stereotype

and so on

so not only were most of them pretty lame but even the difference in flavor they brought was illusory because the idiosyncratic approaches to magic were the things you had to transcend in order to grow in power and learn that all reality is just a grey pomo fog, man

literally the benefit of rising in Gnosis was the ability to make your character less interesting

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

spirit... nuke...?

in order to defeat a vampire antediluvian, the Technocracy reflected sunlight from a dozen different dimensions on it and then blew it up with the ghostly remnants of a recently-destroyed nuclear weapon (ghosts and spirits werent different then)

isnt that more interesting than whatever chumpass game you happened to be running?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

spirit... nuke...?

the progenitor of one of the vampire bloodlines woke up and started wrecking poo poo and the technocracy dropped a nuke that existed in the spirit world on its head while reflecting the sun from all over the planet onto it

the spirit nuke broke the entire "wraith" setting apart (killing it) and made spirit world (twilight) travel Gay As Hell

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

that all sounds pretty terrible but

Dammit Who? posted:

literally the benefit of rising in Gnosis was the ability to make your character less interesting

i wanna hear more about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dammit Who? posted:

in order to defeat a vampire antediluvian, the Technocracy reflected sunlight from a dozen different dimensions on it and then blew it up with the ghostly remnants of a recently-destroyed nuclear weapon (ghosts and spirits werent different then)

isnt that more interesting than whatever chumpass game you happened to be running?
and too bad if it was because GOOD LUCK FINDING MORE BOOKS FOR IT NOW, GAMELINES GONNA END BITCH BUY THIS ps here are demons