Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
no nicolae you are not actually a super powerful mage irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Attorney at Funk posted:

but he could be an owod one because of the whole "crippling impotence in the face of the world at large" bit yes

just as you could be a mummy because your burns are so old that king tut was like "drat"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Attorney at Funk posted:

:drat:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

what were the best parts of owod mage and the setting in general, then

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

what were the best parts of owod mage and the setting in general, then

blood-dimmed tides

google it

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

i wanna hear more about this

Well, let's say you have two mages. They're both relatively low-Gnosis, so they're working within their paradigms to do magic. One is a Son of Ether working to develop teleportation through a special chamber that takes advantage of quantum fog to 'ripple' its occupant through space and re-localize him at the destination. His colleague, a Hermetic Mage, is working on the same effect, but she's using a Solomonic circle and ritualistic invocation of True Names to create a portal. Both of these spells work fine.

Then, both mages go up a dot in Gnosis. As a result, both mages come closer to understanding that it is the Awakened will of the Avatar that controls magic, closer to truly understanding the nature of consensual reality. They no longer need to use their paradigmatic focuses as often in order to work magic. So now, both the Etherite and the Hermetic teleport the same way, by concentrating for a moment. The more Gnosis they collect, the fewer differences there will be between them.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

The more Gnosis they collect, the fewer differences there will be between them.

that's stupid

as we go up in gnosis, we just get more awesome

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

the revelation in Demon that the Avatar shard is actually a piece of a defeated angel or demon and mages are just presumptuous bitches running around abusing ancient war dead was the best thing to happen to Mage

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dammit Who? posted:

the revelation in Demon that the Avatar shard is actually a piece of a defeated angel or demon and mages are just presumptuous bitches running around abusing ancient war dead was the best thing to happen to Mage
which brings up the other amazing thing about owod, that you'd get tidbits like this in completely unrelated books, constantly

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

which brings up the other amazing thing about owod, that you'd get tidbits like this in completely unrelated books, constantly

good lord, and i thought nwod had trouble keeping its game lines together

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

you know how nwod is all "those fire-angels in promethean are different from the fire angels in mage" and it's weird?

now imagine that every line's creation story used the same names for half its stuff and the same concepts for ALL of its stuff and told the same story and insisted they were different and discrete

- this is a large part of why the games don't have a "this is how the entire universe game into being" origin story anymore, and are more "this is how your specific creature came into being, probably" stories instead

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

owod was run by nwod vampires, all sneaking into each others' torportoriums and filling their diaries with lies

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

that owod extract was a way to pass around that link and say "jajaja"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

fritz posted:

that owod extract was a way to pass around that link and say "jajaja"

you made me reread that post, it's praise for a card game where you play as a "space pirate amazon ninja catgirl"

there's also a comment from someone who says he worked on mage: the ascension who wants to thank the author for his trashing of mage: the awakening

i want to hammer them both in the nuts, this is not an emotion i would have experienced a year ago and i place the blame squarely on you people

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
how could those dudes ever take themselves seriously when the entire battle over reality was waged between literal pointy-hat wearers and technophiles

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
i mean its just so.. monkey cheese

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the technocracy... it owns!!

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
the technocracy was a "great" antagonist in the same way nazis are in that you could never feel bad about anything you did to a member of the technocracy because they were such hilariously monstrous fascists

oWoD Mage's setting ruled btw but it was the only book of the line I ever read and I never played it so I never cared at all how things tied together or about any overplot or any of that nonsense

the werewolf stuff described in the book sounded lame as hell though

edit: missing a crucial word

Crion fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 7, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
if you think the werewolf stuff was lame just wait till you see the changeling stuff

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the technocracy was the good guys in a world where consensus determines reality free thought is disastrous ps are we playing tonight

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

Ferrinus posted:

if you think the werewolf stuff was lame just wait till you see the changeling stuff

imagine a circle of dudes doing a Shatner slowly-choking routine around a slab of concrete that radiates banality... forever

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

the technocracy was the good guys in a world where consensus determines reality free thought is disastrous ps are we playing tonight

lmao

you guys better play tonight, I want to join this game some time before The Literal Heat Death of the Universe

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
what makes you think ferrinus will ever run it again

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

my campaign is tonight anyways you jerks

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

the whole "everyone sees you as playacting minstrels!" bullshit is why i am very disappointed with geist, as they've picked it up entirely for Ghost Fightin

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

the whole "everyone sees you as playacting minstrels!" bullshit is why i am very disappointed with geist, as they've picked it up entirely for Ghost Fightin

wait wait wait what is this minstrel poo poo

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

wait wait wait what is this minstrel poo poo

because you are fighting things that no one else can see

changeling: the dreaming's canon explanation that you were supposed to give The Mundanes or whatever the gently caress they called them was that you are Performance Artists! or some dumb poo poo

and geist is like "oh yeah, btw people don't see the stuff you're fighting, but do see you, sooooo yeah"

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

rpgs are so dumb

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
if fjord isn't running on friday can we p. please run this on friday instead

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

if fjord isn't running on friday can we p. please run this on friday instead

I'm gonna run ars on friday if gul banan runs tonight... ferrinus said he was gonna run on saturday

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ok

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
i'm running Escape From Witch Mountain tonight

but,

i have to go to a thing

hopefully i'll be back here around 8est though. or maybe a bit later? i don't really care. it's happening

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

okay i wanna run in an hour or two (so like at 8??? 830??) but imo any players i'm gonna have should start filing in as soon as they can so we can get ready, tie up loose ends, and otherwise power the gently caress up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

In preparation for Escape From Witch Mountain I want to make a few spells more streamlined. Here's revised TK:

Telekinesis (Forces ***)
The mage can exert force at a distance, moving things with his mind alone.
Practice: Weaving
Action: Instant; living targets resist reflexively with Resolve + Gnosis
Duration: Concentration
Aspect: Vulgar
Cost: None
Rote Skill: Athletics or Larceny
Upon success, the caster achieves a remote grip on a targeted object and can cause that object to take an action. A telekinesis has a lifting Strength equal to the sum of the spell's Potency and its caster's Gnosis that determines what objects it can bear aloft, and a normal Strength/Dexterity rating equal to the spell's Potency but capped at the caster's Forces. While the caster maintains concentration on this spell (losing his Defense and moving no farther than his Speed on any turn) he can continue to cause the levitated object to act once per round. He can also cause the object to non-violently move a number of yards equal to twice the spell's Strength by forfeiting either the object's action or his own movement for the turn, or twice that far if he forfeits both.

An object can take any action it could conceivably take if a real person was manipulating it one-handed - a floating gun could fire, a sword could take a swing at a target, a keyboard could type out a message. The object uses the spell's Strength or Dexterity, the caster's own Skills and the object's own equipment bonus to resolve any physical actions. Objects too large for even a very large person to handle cannot be used in this way - a car or massive boulder could be moved to block a passage or dropped on someone's head, but not swung repeatedly like a giant's club.

A caster can expend all the spell's force at once to hurl an object as a projectile rather than manipulating it over multiple turns. In that case, the caster rolls a ranged attack with a range equal to his aimed spell range and a damage dicepool equal to his Gnosis + Forces + the minimum Strength required to lift the thrown object, resisted by a target's Defense and Armor. The damage is usually bashing, but might be lethal in the event of a spiked or bladed object, and might carry additional effects such as points of fire damage or electrocution depending on what is thrown.

A mage with Forces 4 can use this spell on animate creatures. Targets who fail their resistance roll are seized and can be moved around like any other object of their mass while the caster concentrates, though they themselves may act as normal (taking into account the fact that they may be suspended in the air or otherwise not in position to accomplish something they otherwise could). The caster can perform Overpower maneuvers against his target as though grappling, except substitutes this spell's casting dicepool for his own Strength + Brawl and the victim can resist with either his Strength or Resolve. Overpowering maneuvers causing damage represent slamming the victim into some nearby structure and gain a damage bonus and type appropriate to the durability and shape of the object used. With Forces 5, the mage can simply crush his target with force, inflicting bashing damage directly without using the environment (and being resisted by Stamina rather than Strength or Resolve). A levitated creature cannot physically extricate himself from an invisible force, but can will itself free - it spends an instant action to roll Resolve + Gnosis at a penalty of the telekinesis spell's Potency, and escapes on a success.

Casting this spell with target factors enables it to lift more discrete objects or count as having more 'hands' for the purpose of manipulating objects, but does not allow it to lift more total mass than allowed by its lifting strength. The mage can cause every levitated object to act at once, but this is still resolved as one action - for instance, launching several large stones at a target would inflict the same damage as throwing one weighing the same amount. Multiple objects can be used to target multiple characters with the same action, and multiple levitated creatures can be subjected to the same overpowering manuever, but the caster takes a penalty to each dicepool equal to the total number of targets he is trying to affect.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 13, 2009

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Psychic Assault (Mind ***)
The caster of this spell assaults the mind of a thinking being with sheer telepathic force. Victims generally experience the attack as a splitting migraine, but it causes no real physical damage and leaves no normal evidence of any kind of assault. Overwhelmed victims simply pass out from the psychic strain, coming to later with no clear idea of what happened to them. Psychic Assault is weaker than most offensive spells, but its covert nature makes it useful in many situations in which lightning bolts or localized earthquakes simply aren't feasible.
Practice: Fraying
Action: Instant, subtract target's Resolve
Duration: Lasting
Aspect: Covert
Cost: 1 Mana
Rote Skill: Intimidation
The victim suffers one point of bashing damage per success. This bashing damage causes wound penalties as normal but can never wrap over into lethal or upgrade existing levels of damage. However, every point of bashing damage done in excess of a target's remaining health total increases his wound penalties until the beginning of his second turn after being struck by the spell, and this extra wound penalty does penalize stamina rolls made to remain conscious.

A mage with Mind 4 can more badly fray a victim's mind. Every success after the second rolled by an Adept inflicts a point of "damage" on the Intelligence and Wits of its target, possibly lowering Defense and penalizing dicepools relating to perception and cognition. This damage cannot reduce an attribute below 1, can be healed as bashing damage and each attribute "heals" back one dot every turn. With Mind 5, each damaged attribute heals at a rate of one dot every fifteen minutes, and can also be healed as lethal damage. Entities that use Power/Finesse/Resistance instead of mental attributes are not subject to this effect, but because of the blurring of their minds and bodies they suffer lethal damage from this spell at the hands of an Adept and (with a surcharge of 1 mana) aggravated damage from a Master.

Though this spell is Covert, it can be prone to cause Disbelief. Sleepers might stare in shock as one among their number clutches at their head and screams, but one dropping after another after another will almost never be accepted as a natural circumstance by a group, and a person whose enemies are known to suddenly develop incapacitating migraines at any confrontation may find his psychic assaults taking on a Vulgar aspect right from the start.

Psychic Sword (Mind ***)
This spell turns the brain on the body, forcing nerves to misfire and vital processes to go haywire. Disciples cause sudden cramping, fatigue, or nausea in targets, while the victims of Adepts appear to manifest any one of a number of sudden and potentially lethal medical conditions, commonly seizures or heart attacks. A master of the Mind arcanum can inflict even greater damage, wreaking havoc with entire organ systems and leaving the victim's body a spasming wreck.
Practice: Unraveling
Action: Instant, subtract higher of target's Resolve or Stamina
Aspect: Covert
Rote Skill: Intimidation
Each success inflicts one point of bashing damage on the target. The mage may inflict lethal at Mind 4, and at Mind 5, an extra point of mana can be spent to deal aggravated. This attack relies on the target having an organic body subject to mishap, so while it will affect a mage or werewolf it will fail on a vampire, zombie, ghost, or spirit. The attack is completely imperceptible to mundane senses (though its effects are generally very obvious), but magical or telepathic senses may be able to detect it. Similarly, paradoxes caused by the spell provoking sleeper Suspicion may conspire to identify its user. Using this spell to inflict lethal or aggravated damage on sapient beings often provokes degeneration checks.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Conjure Electricity (Forces ****)
Lights darken, and temperatures drop as the mage converts ambient energy into a potent electric charge that courses through his body. With a thought, he can release it into the world around him.
Practice: Patterning
Action: Instant
Duration: Lasting, Concentration or Transitory
Rote Skill: Occult or Science
Each success rolled adds 2B to the damage of the electric charge, up to a maximum of 10B (although further magic can raise this beyond such natural limits). This charge is contained harmlessly within the caster's body until he ceases concentrating and releases it into an object he touches, which takes damage and conducts normally except that the mage cannot be damaged by his own shock. The mage can only hold one spell's worth of charge at a time - if he recasts this spell while holding a charge, he must choose which one overwrites the other. The electric charge itself is a Lasting effect, so the mage cannot simply choose to dismiss it after conjuring it; the Duration of the spell only measures how long a mage can contain the charge within himself before it escapes. A mage can touch a nearby target as part of the action of casting this spell, possibly requiring a Brawl roll of the target is unwilling.

A mage may treat the electric charge he holds as a normal electric charge for all purposes. He may use his action on any turn to cast spells intended to affect the charge (such as Control Electricity to amplify or dampen it, or Influence Electricity to cast it forth at enemies) without losing concentration.

Each additional Target factor increases the number of shocks this spell can deliver (so by casting at a -4 penalty, the mage creates a charge that can be released three times rather than once), but the mage can only release one charge per round. Duration factors increase the amount of time the mage can retain the charge after he ceases concentrating. With Forces 5, the mage may cast this spell with a Prolonged duration, causing the electric charge to remain locked within him for up to a scene or more without any need for concentration.

At Forces 5, this spell may be cast at Sensory range, though its duration changes to Transitory. Instead of his own body, the mage just creates a furious malestrom of electricity at a point in space or within an object that he can perceive. This might be a single person or a pool of water many people stand in. Either way, the bashing damage the spell deals is applied immediately to the target or targets. Target factors create charges in multiple locations (though the damage from multiple charges does not stack on single targets) and Duration factors cause the charges to last for multiple rounds. If this spell is cast with an area of effect at Forces 5, the area is centered on the caster.

The damage dealt by this spell is treated as completely mundane damage from electricity and is reduced directly by any applicable armor and other damage-reducing supernatural effects so long as some potential means exists (a vampire's superhuman speed allows it to break contact almost immediately, an enchanter's fateful protection allows him to miraculously and inexplicably survive the equivalent of direct lightning strike, a necromancer's entropic shield nullifies and consumes the electricity even as it lashes out). The muscles of enemies damaged by this spell generally lock up and spasm with the voltage; affected enemies must succeed on Strength rolls to move from where they stand on their next turn.

A mage who knows Control Electricity can upgrade it to Conjure Electricity for 2xp, using the same dicepool to cast either spell.

Conjure Fire (Forces ****)
The mage draws on and transmutes other ambient forces to seemingly create flame from nothing.
Practice: Patterning
Action: Instant or Instant and resisted by Stamina or Durability
Rote Skill: Occult or Science
The mage produces a fire somewhere in arm's reach, either producing a flame in his hand (or on/in whatever implement is used to cast the spell) or igniting something he touches. A mage can reflexively touch his target as part of the action used to cast this spell, possibly rolling Strength or Dexterity + Brawl - target's Defense to make contact with an unwilling target. Targets simply exposed to blasts of flame (because the caster released a handful of fire into their face or caused the ground beneath them to erupt into an inferno) take normal fire damage. Targets targeted directly by the spell can subtract their Stamina from its casting pool, but are ignited automatically and continue to burn on subsequent turns.

SIZE:
Torch: (1 Damage)
Bonfire (2 Damage, mostly covers human-sized target)
Inferno (3 Damage, completely covers human-sized target)

HEAT:
Candle (-)
Torch (+1 Damage)
Bunsen Burner (+2 Damage)
Chemical Fire/Molten Metal (+3 Damage)

One success produces a candle-intensity flame the size of a torch, and each further success can increase the size and heat of the flame by one step. The spell produces a natural fire, so it can inflict a maximum of six damage without amplification by other magic. Flames conjured on the bodies of casters exist only as potential fires - they produce light and warmth, but do not burn until released. A mage holding a conjured fire may continue to hold it as long as he concentrates, and for free for as many rounds as he allots himself by adding transitory Duration factors to the spell. He may continue to "concentrate" on the fire while casting spells that affect it such as Control Fire or Influence Fire. Without such magic, the mage cannot hurl or otherwise supernaturally manipulate his conjured flame (not even to snuff it out) except by reflexively releasing it onto whatever he may be touching.

Fire damage is inflicted immediately upon first contact with a fire (so, at the moment of creation with this spell), as well as at the end of the turn of anyone in contact with a flame who has not taken damage since the end of their last turn. Armor subtracts directly from fire damage, though mundane armor can only protect against a fire for a number of consecutive turns equal to its rating. Characters that spend more than one turn within a fire are themselves ignited (though Intensity and Size are both reduced one step), taking continuous damage until the fire is put out. A burning character can attempt to smother the fire. If he gives up his movement, he can roll the higher of his Strength or Dexterity, penalized by the flames' Intensity. If he instead uses an instant action, he can add the higher of his Athletics or Survival to the roll. Each success decreases the Size of the flames by one step, and

With Forces 5, a mage can cast this spell at sensory range and add target factors to combust multiple targets. Objects targeted by the spell burn for a minimum of one round (and may continue to burn if they are naturally flammable). If the mage instead targets a point in space, fire simply erupts from nowhere, inflicts damage to all nearby, and vanishes a split second later.

A mage who knows the Control Fire rote can upgrade it to this rote for 2 experience points, using the same dicepool to cast either spell.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PATCH 1.2

Vulgar spells don't increase your arcanum rating by 1 for the purpose of dicepools and static values only - they just add 2 dice to your pool.

Everyone hear me? Vulgar spell: Costs more mana, +2 dice. That's it. Make a note.

Every mage armor spell now gains an extra feature: if you cast it as a vulgar spell, the protection it provides is 1 higher than normal.

a man of ill repute
Dec 14, 2006

by Ozma
no new death spells, i see.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Began the exciting, railroad-centric conclusion to the Enoch storyline!

+2 XP for HOLY GOD

119 XP total.

+1 AXP for witnessing the kind of bullshit Master+ mages get up to when they clash.

62 AXP total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attention magebros: I'd like to continue running this wacky escapade thing...tomorrow! Or rather, later today, as I'm writing this at 3:03AM. If you guys are around at like 2PM EST tomorrow...we can continue to romp through the war-torn and paradox-blasted Smokey Mountains national park!