Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
A dealer near me is selling brand new 2009 Imprezas for $15,700, which is $2700 off! I'd love to jump on this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

two_beer_bishes posted:

A dealer near me is selling brand new 2009 Imprezas for $15,700, which is $2700 off! I'd love to jump on this!

All the dealerships in proper metro Denver keep their 2009 Imprezas tagged at MSRP, but Heuberger in CO Springs(highest volume dealership nationally, they say) are tagging Premium trim sedans at $18.3 and base trim at 15-16.

What's the catch?

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!

Tremblay posted:

Yeah its legit. 2.9% ended on June 30th. Saw an ad today for 0%. poo poo.

:doh:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

:doh:

I'm in the same boat. Bought two weeks ago.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot
I need a new rear wheel bearing, as my 99 OBS is making a horrible metallic scraping noise all the time now. How difficult is it to install one? I have rear drums, by the way. I don't have a press, so I'm thinking this is one I should let a mechanic do.

Also, any reason why a single bearing is over $100? They can't be that complex.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

TurboLuvah posted:

Did that guy stop making them or something? The Mode Racing site seems to not be up and running yet.

Billy Brooks, who used to work for cobb and designed most of their parts like shifters and endlinks, no longer works there and started mode racing. So most of the parts cobb used to make will be available from mode fairly soon. I've seen a mode racing evo short shifter. It was black instead of blue. Next time I see Billy I'll ask him about it.

Eugene Debs posted:

I need a new rear wheel bearing, as my 99 OBS is making a horrible metallic scraping noise all the time now. How difficult is it to install one? I have rear drums, by the way. I don't have a press, so I'm thinking this is one I should let a mechanic do.

Also, any reason why a single bearing is over $100? They can't be that complex.

well you generally replace the bearing, hub, and both seals. That puts parts per corner at a little over $200. The only way I will ever do bearings is with the subaru service tool, which is basically just a slide hammer and some press tools. It takes no time at all to do them with one. Another option would be to get some used uprights that possibly have good bearings in them. The last time I bought one it was $40 shipped and the bearing lasted a whole year.

Oh and I saw an 09 spin rod bearings first hand today.

jamal fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 3, 2009

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.
Welp, sold my WRX. :smith: I'm moving on to something a lot slower, an '85 Toyota 4Runner. Twas good times.

EDIT: Time for a new avatar.

Eugene Debs
Feb 19, 2009

by Peatpot

jamal posted:

well you generally replace the bearing, hub, and both seals. That puts parts per corner at a little over $200. The only way I will ever do bearings is with the subaru service tool, which is basically just a slide hammer and some press tools. It takes no time at all to do them with one. Another option would be to get some used uprights that possibly have good bearings in them. The last time I bought one it was $40 shipped and the bearing lasted a whole year.

So being as I don't have these tools, it would probably be best to let a mechanic take this one? This thing only has 77k on it, seems a little early for a wheel bearing to go, but I shook the wheel and it's bad. I hope the next one lasts a little longer.

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
2 weeks into the ownership of my first car the radiator on my 97 outback crapped itself out during the course of a 6 hour drive. Radiator was replaced and the head gasket was deemed to be ok by the mechanic after checking for heat damage - the head gasket was replaced a few months prior).

Now after the new radiator has been installed the a/c is sluggish and the car has stalled twice on my mom and brother when they were tooling around town with the AC on. The car has 138k miles on it and is currently still at my folks house until I go down to pick it back up. Any possible idea what it could be?

This car was my college graduation gift and my parents are being stubborn about admitting it was stupid to buy a 10+ year old car with over 100k on it. The title is still in my dad's name but once it's transferred I'm selling this thing. Until then I just want to be able to drive this to work and back (~hour commute each way) without dying.

Also if anyone knows of a good subaru mechanic around Boston I'm all ears.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Wagon superiority :smug:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Tiny Faye posted:

Also if anyone knows of a good subaru mechanic around Boston I'm all ears.

I'm not sure about a Subaru only mechanic, but I can recommend FastTrack Automotive in Peabody, they do great work at a reasonable price

8ender posted:

:cheers:

TurboLuvah fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 4, 2009

Joey joejoejr182
Jun 6, 2007

Danger Zone!

8ender posted:

What an odd mixture of items you have loaded in there...

upsciLLion
Feb 9, 2006

Bees?

Joey joejoejr182 posted:

What an odd mixture of items you have loaded in there...

That's what happens when you go to Costco.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

upsciLLion posted:

That's what happens when you go to Costco.

Hey when the apocalypse comes I'll be sitting pretty in my basement with 2lbs of twizzlers and 4L of bean salad.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

Okay I posted this over at legacygt.com forums but haven't had a response in days; My 2005 Legacy's right rear brake light isn't working. I replaced it with a bulb of the same specification but still no go.

I looked at a few of the small amperage fuses under the hood but didn't see any busted ones. Also is there supposed to be a light on the dash that comes up if a bulb is burned out?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Are you geting voltage at the harness? Get a test light or multimeter and start your way back.

Chunderbuss
Sep 22, 2004

Go with the flow.
I've got a problem, the clutch in my STI has always been difficult to engage smoothly (it would chatter unless I was careful), which the dealer put down to it being "heavy duty". It was manageable but not ideal. Recently pedal feel has deteriorated, with it becoming slightly clunky or delayed on release. I have checked the fluid and it's level and there is no leaking around the cylinders, but after this I'm not so certain what to check. Anyone able to shed any light on the situation before I take it to the yard?

Cheers

Chunderbuss fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jul 5, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Anyone have a good tech document on the Suretrak LSDs? I'm trying to work out if my handling issues are to do with the diffs beign snatchy or I have some other issue.

Tatrakrad
May 14, 2007

I cited my sources and all he said was, "owned owned owned owned owned"

grzydj posted:

Welp, sold my WRX. :smith: I'm moving on to something a lot slower, an '85 Toyota 4Runner. Twas good times.

EDIT: Time for a new avatar.

What? No!

That's an awesome avatar.

As someone who drives a Subaru vicariously through this thread I demand that, if you move to something slower, let it at least be a Forrester/Outback.

edit: lost a word

Tatrakrad fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 5, 2009

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

8ender posted:

I don't have pics from when I was moving 2 weeks ago but an innerspring futon mattress and 5 milk crates will fit comfortably. :smug:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Changed my oil today for the second time and while I was crawling around in front I noticed something plugged into the grill sort of below where the Subaru emblem is. It's a square plate with something behind it - that's not the lock/unlock beeper, is it? It looks fairly easy to replace if that's what it is.

I just rolled over 100K last week with my Forester XT. I plan on replacing the timing belt sometime here soon but the recent discussion about replacing the up pipe has got me thinking about doing that too. How high should that be on my priority list for a Forester with 100k miles. I don't want that cat letting loose and destroying my turbo.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

LordOfThePants posted:

I just rolled over 100K last week with my Forester XT. I plan on replacing the timing belt sometime here soon but the recent discussion about replacing the up pipe has got me thinking about doing that too. How high should that be on my priority list for a Forester with 100k miles. I don't want that cat letting loose and destroying my turbo.

I don't think your forester has a catted up-pipe.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

jamal posted:

I don't think your forester has a catted up-pipe.

It's an '05, so it has the 2.5L engine in it. I thought they all had the catted up-pipe in that year range? The guy on Scoobymods who did the writeup drives an 04 Forester XT and I believe they have the same engine.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

2.5l wrxes and stis don't have them, only the 2.0s did. But it's easy enough to check. Just look down below the turbo and see if there's a big bulge with an EGT sensor going into it.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

jamal posted:

2.5l wrxes and stis don't have them, only the 2.0s did. But it's easy enough to check. Just look down below the turbo and see if there's a big bulge with an EGT sensor going into it.

Yeah, the 2.5L Turbo Foresters do have them. Now that you mention it, I probably did see it this afternoon when I was under the hood.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Anyone seen one of these:

I got it from a turbo RX Coupe AWD with a high-low range 5 speed and that diff lock. What a crazy trans that must be.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Baby Hitler posted:

I got it from a turbo RX Coupe AWD with a high-low range 5 speed and that diff lock. What a crazy trans that must be.

Someone has developed something like that to trick the 4EAT into locking 50-50 or close to it. Its a crazy idea and I'm pretty sure its not great for the transmission.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Baby Hitler posted:

I've seen a switch like that in early 5-speed Audi Quattro sedans.

I assume nowadays the centre diff is computer controlled to some extent.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've seen a switch like that in early 5-speed Audi Quattro sedans.

I assume nowadays the centre diff is computer controlled to some extent.

5-speeds still have a viscous coupling (although a few jdm ones had dccd). The automatics have had computer controlled center diffs for 20+ years.

Speaking of 5-speeds, who can point out what's wrong here:

justaname
Dec 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
The power that some guys are getting out of their subies makes me quite jealous... not my favorite looking car but they sure do scream down the track.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

After 7,414 happy miles in my 09 WRX wagon, I've got a case of rod knock. It has been sitting since Thursday last week. I started it this morning and heard the horrible sounds of a spun bearing. :argh:

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

jamal posted:

5-speeds still have a viscous coupling (although a few jdm ones had dccd). The automatics have had computer controlled center diffs for 20+ years.

Looks like 3rd is missing some teeth.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

jamal posted:

Missing teeth and maybe some pitting on what I would assume is a surface that should not have any contact. Also is that really all there is to that? I mean my lathe has more gears and parts than that and I can put that together, maybe I should build a 5 speed for when I gently caress mine up.

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

bull3964 posted:

It must just be the area. I'm in southwestern PA and while we have TONS of Subaru dealerships (seriously, I think I have about a dozen Subaru dealerships within a half hour's drive), selection of the high performance Subarus have always been slim pickings. I don't know if it's demand causing them to be snapped up for if it's demand for the other models taking away lot space for the performance models.

Looking around at the various dealer inventories online, most only had 1 or 2 (if any) WRXs and only one that I checked had an STI in stock. Plenty of Imprezas and Legacies to choose from though. You can't swing a dead cat in a parking lot around here and not hit a half dozen Outbacks and Legacies.

This isn't a new situation either, it seems like supplies of WRXs and STIs have always been a bit constrained around here.

I'm in the exact same boat here in NE Ohio. I've been seriously looking for an STi since November and had a few private party sales snatched out from under me before I could secure financing. The number of "right" ones, meaning under 35k miles, 2006, within 3 hours, stock or mostly stock, pristine exterior and interior, etc. is always depressingly low. The last couple months I've even started considering EVOVIIIs and IXs. I've signed up for newsletters, posted a WTB ad on Craigslist and IWSTI, and have checked NASIOC, IWSTI, ebay, and all the larger used car listing sites daily for months now. Closest thing to a dealership offering is a 2007 WRB/gold for $29.8k, with 3635 miles on it. That's right, less than 4000 miles. For slightly more cash, I could be in a 2009 on the 0% for 63 months and still paying less, though.

Then last night someone sent me a PM on IWSTI saying he lost his job and needs to get rid of his Arctic White/silver weekend STi with 27k miles. I check his post history and he's only had it since January, put just over 2000 miles on it. He's put a Grimmspeed downpipe, GReedy TIC catback, Accessport v2, and a Cobb short shifter on it. Wants 24000. Sound like a pretty good deal? I love the Arctic White color, too bad it doesn't have the gold wheels, but this seems like a reasonable deal. Best part is that he lives maybe 20-30 minutes away.

Big Nubbins fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 7, 2009

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

bung posted:

After 7,414 happy miles in my 09 WRX wagon, I've got a case of rod knock. It has been sitting since Thursday last week. I started it this morning and heard the horrible sounds of a spun bearing. :argh:

Two things: Do you know what month your 09 was built, and have you read the NASIOC thread? From what I've heard, a lot of the 09s built before October were susceptible to this kind of damage. Sorry man. On the bright side, Subaru may possibly fix it for you, depending on how much of a stink you make.

In other news – I'm heading to the East Coast for a week starting this Friday, and back when I touch down in PST again, I'm making a beeline for the nearest Subaru dealership and buying my 09. The 07 was waaaay too much of a risk, and after cramming three surfboards into my old civic, I realized I needed a hatchback instead of another sedan.

tl;dr – WOOO HOOOOOOOO

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a little torn here. I really want a new model style Impreza, but don't have the cash to drop the $25k you'd need on a base sedan or hatchback (up in Canada).

I saw a rental agency selling an 08 Impreza Hatchback for $16,000 - it has 52,000km on it, still under the Subaru warranty.

The "rental fleet" part kind of scares me, even though the guy said the car was well-maintained and in great shape. Investigate, or stay away?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Just Another XY posted:

Two things: Do you know what month your 09 was built, and have you read the NASIOC thread? From what I've heard, a lot of the 09s built before October were susceptible to this kind of damage. Sorry man. On the bright side, Subaru may possibly fix it for you, depending on how much of a stink you make.

Manufactured in 8/08 and it falls in the VIN range of motor problems.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Goon posted:

I'm a little torn here. I really want a new model style Impreza, but don't have the cash to drop the $25k you'd need on a base sedan or hatchback (up in Canada).

I saw a rental agency selling an 08 Impreza Hatchback for $16,000 - it has 52,000km on it, still under the Subaru warranty.

The "rental fleet" part kind of scares me, even though the guy said the car was well-maintained and in great shape. Investigate, or stay away?

Rental? VERY dubious I would be.

Shitheads like to hire cars and not give a gently caress for them.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

Just Another XY posted:

May possibly?! The car is brand new with just over 7,000 miles, they're sure as gently caress going to fix it for him, without raising a stink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

bung posted:

Wouldn't your warranty surely handle this without issue??