Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Some song about soldiers that went like "he is six feet tall and five feet three;fighting with a spear/gun; fighting for this/that", I think it was called Song of the Soldier or something but everything I find is really dumb support are troops nevar forget crap.

Buffy St Marie - Universal Soldier"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
What is the name of this instrument? It was frequently used in 90s songs, most notably by the King of Pop.

I'm quite sure it's either a bass guitar or something similar.

You can hear it in the background starting at 2:48 in Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".

You can also hear it in Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted Snake."

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any idea what the track that plays from around 15 seconds in on this video is?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmpITVtnMXk

Someone posted this in some thread a while back and I recognized it from somewhere, although it may just be some generic background music.

Wrath of Mordark fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 29, 2009

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

the posted:

What is the name of this instrument? It was frequently used in 90s songs, most notably by the King of Pop.

I'm quite sure it's either a bass guitar or something similar.

You can hear it in the background starting at 2:48 in Jackson's "Smooth Criminal".

You can also hear it in Paula Abdul's "Cold Hearted Snake."

yeah just sounds like someone playing slap bass up at the high end of the neck

Ivan Drago
Jan 17, 2003

etard knievel posted:

yeah just sounds like someone playing slap bass up at the high end of the neck
I thought most of MJ's bass lines were synthesized with an ARP 2600 or a Minimoog or something, but I am the first to admit I know nothing about any of that.

Edit: The Abdul clip sounds more like what you were replying to, but I assumed that was the same type of synth bass technique. I could very well be wrong though.

Ivan Drago fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jun 29, 2009

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.
Okay, need help finding this song, all I remember is it used the intro song from the soap opera Days of our Lives (I think)the theme had heavy piano going on. It was a female rapper, the song was probably made around 2004-2008.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
I heard an Oldies song on the radio last night. The station was doing a colors-in-song-titles block, so it has "blue" in the title. It was something like "Bluer Than Blue" but the only hits on that are some crappy 70's song. I think the chorus had something like "falling and falling" or "failing and failing" in them. The intro of the song was either plucked strings or a glockenspiel.

edit: 3 minutes! Thanks!

Bolkovr fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 30, 2009

PissFilledCumBubble
Jun 27, 2006

Bolkovr posted:

I heard an Oldies song on the radio last night. The station was doing a colors-in-song-titles block, so it has "blue" in the title. It was something like "Bluer Than Blue" but the only hits on that are some crappy 70's song. I think the chorus had something like "falling and falling" or "failing and failing" in them. The intro of the song was either plucked strings or a glockenspiel.

Bobby Vinton - Blue on Blue?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU_GXV6Y4lk

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

SqueakovaPeep posted:

Okay, need help finding this song, all I remember is it used the intro song from the soap opera Days of our Lives (I think)the theme had heavy piano going on. It was a female rapper, the song was probably made around 2004-2008.

No More Drama by Mary J. Blige? The song samples the theme from The Young and the Restless, not Days of Our Lives though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZ9uCiPBIWc&feature=fvst

SqueakovaPeep
May 6, 2007

I am the night.

YAY! Thanks! That was it! That had been driving me nuts!

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
http://nheller.com/techno.mp3
That all I remember of the song, it is one of the most popular techno songs I have ever heard and I have no clue what the name is.

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

phractured posted:

http://nheller.com/techno.mp3
That all I remember of the song, it is one of the most popular techno songs I have ever heard and I have no clue what the name is.

Sounds like Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dBu5X3TvNw&feature=related

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

Sounds like Alice Deejay - Better Off Alone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dBu5X3TvNw&feature=related

I love you. This has literally been bugging me for years.

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

The Poppy Family - Of Cities And Escapes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI3-Lwpu2QM

Thank You. :)

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
Okay, this one is for a friend:

It's a new song. A rock song. Rather slow, and a cover.

She is adamant that it is NOT Seether's "Careless Whisper" cover.

The only lyric she can think of is "ride it".

Any ideas?

CommanderPoopyduX
Jul 15, 2005
Entercia Cierto a PoopisduXi!
Not a song, but a band.....Who is this?! It is driving me nuts!!!

****EDIT: Found them - Parlor Mob ****

CommanderPoopyduX fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 1, 2009

Tytaen
Jul 25, 2003

Not a song, but rather a classical or film music piece that's been driving my crazy trying to figure out what it is.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/hntw

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009
Heard a song on the radio, brought a wave of nostalgia and I feel like hearing it again, but I can't remember it.

Its rock, and the only lyrics I can remember are the chorus,

"she can live, she can live, she's back, she can live she can live, she's back, oh she's back".

and a brief clip:

"makes playing only logical"

Odd_Lockset
Jul 1, 2009

who found my frog:frogc00l:

Rob Filter posted:

Heard a song on the radio, brought a wave of nostalgia and I feel like hearing it again, but I can't remember it.

Its rock, and the only lyrics I can remember are the chorus,

"she can live, she can live, she's back, she can live she can live, she's back, oh she's back".

and a brief clip:

"makes playing only logical"

I think the song you are looking for is "Obstacle 1" by Interpol, and the lyric is actually, "She can read, she can read, she can read, she's bad."

Kind of a dumb lyric, I know, but that's it.

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

Odd_Lockset posted:

I think the song you are looking for is "Obstacle 1" by Interpol, and the lyric is actually, "She can read, she can read, she can read, she's bad."

Kind of a dumb lyric, I know, but that's it.

Cheers, that brings back so many memories

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

This is the last shot I'll take at anybody identifying this song. It's a very uptempo, Irish/Celtic folk sounding piece with a female singer. The sample I posted below is the chorus. I don't know any lyrics, just the melody.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Maybe something by Clannad?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

the posted:

Maybe something by Clannad?

I'm going through their gigantic catalog on Youtube right now, and nothing seems to be matching up quite right. Their sound is kinda New Agey and the song in question was a bit more organic. Also most of their stuff seems to be low to midtempo. I could have missed something, but while it's close, I don't think it's gonna be Clannad.

I should also mention I first heard this song around 2005. Of course it could have still been made earlier.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I'm looking for the name of a song either by Soilwork, Inflames or one of the many similar sounding bands. All I remember about it is that it has a chorus with a short piano solo which lasts about 20 seconds. I've scoured youtube and have listened to about 30 different songs by these 2 bands to no avail, and would search lyrics but I forgot them!

edit: "solo" probably isn't the correct term but I say that because it's by far the most prominent instrument played during the chorus, but it's not heard in any other parts of the song.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 3, 2009

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Tthis is kind of hard to describe but it's like a dance song that would be played in a bar or something and it starts out with what sounds like a single horn playing a kind of drum rhythum.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
There's this song I heard from Journey on the radio. It starts out with this heavy muted chugging on the guitar that's sorta like a train and the rest of the song is way more proggy than usual Journey stuff, and it sounds almost like Genesis. I don't remember any of the lyrics, though.

edit: Glass Joe got it. A while back I was checking out all the possible Journey songs and I totally wrote off Separate Ways because I didn't bother listening past the synth intro. :v:

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 5, 2009

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007
^^^ Separate Ways starts out kinda like that, with some synth. It gets some radio play too.

Ok, this was a popular (gangsta?) rap song back in the early '90s. The only part I could ever remember was the chorus, which consisted of a female repeatedly singing something like "it's the romperstomper soooooooong" with an electro-violin sounding chord in the background. Those are obviously not the actual lyrics, but that's how I remember them, and nobody I ask knows what the hell I'm talking about.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Glass Joe posted:

^^^ Separate Ways starts out kinda like that, with some synth. It gets some radio play too.

Ok, this was a popular (gangsta?) rap song back in the early '90s. The only part I could ever remember was the chorus, which consisted of a female repeatedly singing something like "it's the romperstomper soooooooong" with an electro-violin sounding chord in the background. Those are obviously not the actual lyrics, but that's how I remember them, and nobody I ask knows what the hell I'm talking about.

is it: bone thugs n harmony "thuggish ruggish bone" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzSjtuMGOQ

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

tylertfb posted:

is it: bone thugs n harmony "thuggish ruggish bone" ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzSjtuMGOQ

Holy poo poo it is!

Thank you. One less earworm to keep me up at night.

May 18, 2009
Ok, I'm looking for a song sampled by Super Mash Bros. on their newest CD. The song is 1:43 in on the track Livin The Dream (I'm On A Float). I've definitely heard the song before but there is no comprehensive sample list on Wikipedia yet because SMB are not as big as Girl Talk.

Hypem link: http://hypem.com/#/track/850601/Super+Mash+Bros++-+Livin+The+Dream+Im+On+A+Float

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

842 posted:

Ok, I'm looking for a song sampled by Super Mash Bros. on their newest CD. The song is 1:43 in on the track Livin The Dream (I'm On A Float). I've definitely heard the song before but there is no comprehensive sample list on Wikipedia yet because SMB are not as big as Girl Talk.

Hypem link: http://hypem.com/#/track/850601/Super+Mash+Bros++-+Livin+The+Dream+Im+On+A+Float

Which one? That's "Eleanor Rigby" in the background and "Pop, Lock, and Drop It" in the fore.

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 5, 2009

May 18, 2009

Glass Joe posted:

Which one? That's "Eleanor Rigby" in the background and "Pop, Lock, and Drop It" in the fore.

Eleanor Rigby is the one! God drat, I feel really stupid now.

Cazic Thule
Mar 13, 2008

Denizens of Fear, your master commands you to come forth to his aid!!
Heard a techno/rock (I think) Terminator 2 song a while back, around the time of the movies release. All I really remember is that I heard it often on Australian radio and that it heavily used samples from the movie and possibly had some vocals relating to the movie. all I can find on youtube is fan-made stuff that is nothing like it.

yeah, not a lot of information to go on. this one has been bugging me for years.

Only on Tuesdays
Dec 29, 2008

by Peatpot
I remember hearing a few tracks from a band that made a concept album about Pepsi, which was entirely samples, and I totally forget the band and song. One of the songs was about celebrity endorsements, another, I just remember, had "gotta have Pepsi" repeated over and over. What is it?

Only on Tuesdays fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 6, 2009

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

Cazic Thule posted:

Heard a techno/rock (I think) Terminator 2 song a while back, around the time of the movies release. All I really remember is that I heard it often on Australian radio and that it heavily used samples from the movie and possibly had some vocals relating to the movie. all I can find on youtube is fan-made stuff that is nothing like it.

yeah, not a lot of information to go on. this one has been bugging me for years.

These are both long shots, but try either 'No Fate' or 'The Age Of Love' by Scooter. Or at the other end of the spectrum, try some of the tracks from 'Demanufacture' by Fear Factory, which use T2 samples.

Cazic Thule
Mar 13, 2008

Denizens of Fear, your master commands you to come forth to his aid!!

VolumeOverTalent posted:

These are both long shots, but try either 'No Fate' or 'The Age Of Love' by Scooter. Or at the other end of the spectrum, try some of the tracks from 'Demanufacture' by Fear Factory, which use T2 samples.

Thanks, appreciate that. Checked out the Scooter stuff but neither song was what I'm after. The age of love had a similar vibe to it though. The song I'm looking for was a little more cheesy and was directly related to the movie.

Love Demanufacture but unfortunately it wasn't Fear Factory either.

my name is mok
Jun 14, 2005

Glass Joe posted:

Okay, this one is for a friend:

It's a new song. A rock song. Rather slow, and a cover.

She is adamant that it is NOT Seether's "Careless Whisper" cover.

The only lyric she can think of is "ride it".

Any ideas?

Is it "Pony" by Far?

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

my name is mok posted:

Is it "Pony" by Far?

Indeed it was. Turns out she found it already and didn't tell me :argh:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Koppite posted:

Tthis is kind of hard to describe but it's like a dance song that would be played in a bar or something and it starts out with what sounds like a single horn playing a kind of drum rhythum.

Calabria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrU3UyN7uTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight

Only on Tuesdays posted:

I remember hearing a few tracks from a band that made a concept album about Pepsi, which was entirely samples, and I totally forget the band and song. One of the songs was about celebrity endorsements, another, I just remember, had "gotta have Pepsi" repeated over and over. What is it?

Negativland - Dispepsi

It's a great album and if you like that, you'll like their other stuff.