Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I spent the evening in a Walmart parking lot putting the chain back on my Strom. I knew it needed tensioning but I figured it'd last the 120 miles I had left to go. Guess not, Whoops. At least it can be done with 25 bucks in Walmart tools and an hour or so. Got to watch fireworks too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cypher
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
I just installed a shiney new front brake lever to replace the one that got snapped off yesterday when a truck facing me decided it would take an extra wide right turn while I was making a left on an advanced green. Motorcycles don't usually come out the winners in traffic accidents but I'm fairly sure the two body panels I ripped up on his nice new truck were worth quite a bit more than my 30 dollar brake lever. And I didn't even fall over! My lucky day.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I took the long way home after going out on a ride with my GF and her dad, the 160 mile long way home. Best 140 mile detour ever.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

N183CS posted:

I didn't do any maintenance today, just did some riding as I'm still trying to feel out my new bike. I put almost 200 miles on it since I got it/filled it up for the first time and opened the tank today to see what appeared to be a fairly empty fuel quantity. When I filled it up I only took 3.4 gallons, and it holds 7.1, guess I need to get some better references as to how much I have. I headed off on a popular dirt road (the only one left unpaved on the island) so I could work on some dirt riding skills. On my way out I was doing anywhere from 10-40mph, on the return trip I had gained enough confidence to hit 60 on the dirt. I even took it up an ATV trail a ways without dropping it :woop: Here are some pics I took along the way.

I'm confused. i thought you were on kodiak, yet I see that phenomenom that we call
sunlight".
Or maybe it's southeastern, the same confusion exists.

If you get that stuff on you, in your soggy state, the consequences could be harmful. I suggest you dump a trough of cold water down your back as soon as possible!

N183CS
Feb 21, 2007

MOMS WITH GUNS

Gnomad posted:

I'm confused. i thought you were on kodiak, yet I see that phenomenom that we call
sunlight".
Or maybe it's southeastern, the same confusion exists.

If you get that stuff on you, in your soggy state, the consequences could be harmful. I suggest you dump a trough of cold water down your back as soon as possible!

:siren::siren: FREAK WEATHER HITS KODIAK! RESIDENTS REJOICING. :siren::siren:

I just changed the oil on the F650, I managed to only spill a few drops on the exhaust pipes, so it only smoked for a minute or so. I started carrying oil in an MSR fuel bottle. I gotta make some pannier racks for fuel and oil bottles.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
I got half my gas tank stripped and sanded. Counting what I used when I took out the old tank liner, i've now used just under a gallon of paint stripper.

Tommorow, the other half gets the treatment, then the paint!

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.
I fixed the running problem. Happily I fixed it without pulling the valve cover a third time.

Motherfucking pinched carb vent tube. Ugh. I unplugged it from the carb, and she runs great. Now to do final reassembly and go for a test ride. I'll leave the hose off until I pull the seat and tank again, and do the "T-mod" to stop further occurences.

But anyway, YAY! I have a functional bike again!

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Oil and filter finally changed on the 1989 Kawasaki Police 1000

I didn't forget any parts this time!

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Phy posted:

Subframe and various bits back on. Line up muffler so it ain't melt my tire, and put on bars and tank and panels tomorrow. Man i swear I'm the slowest mechanic who ever mechanicked a mechanical. Probably should have ordered the bits last week that I did last night.

Hey how's it going?

FunkyJunk
Jul 14, 2004

Crossposting from questions thread:

I have an R1, and absolutely nobody makes a hardcase mount for it. There's only one company I know of that even makes a rack, and it's reputed to have very weak welds. I recently bought a damaged rear seat off eBay and took the seat cover and foam off. I bolted a Givi universal rack (E250) to the seatpan, and a V46 topcase to that.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

FunkyJunk posted:

Crossposting from questions thread:

I have an R1, and absolutely nobody makes a hardcase mount for it. There's only one company I know of that even makes a rack, and it's reputed to have very weak welds. I recently bought a damaged rear seat off eBay and took the seat cover and foam off. I bolted a Givi universal rack (E250) to the seatpan, and a V46 topcase to that.
That's a pretty good idea.:c00l:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

EvilDonald posted:

I fixed the running problem. Happily I fixed it without pulling the valve cover a third time.

Motherfucking pinched carb vent tube. Ugh. I unplugged it from the carb, and she runs great. Now to do final reassembly and go for a test ride. I'll leave the hose off until I pull the seat and tank again, and do the "T-mod" to stop further occurences.

But anyway, YAY! I have a functional bike again!
I have been meaning to do the "t-mod" to my klr, just to prevent any frustration in the future. I would probably rip the bike half apart like you trying to fix it.
As for my klr things have been progressing slowly.
Still no speedo, after the stock one broke and kawasaki wanted $160 for one part, I decided to go the aftermarket route. I bought a acewell 3901 and spent an entire day installing it. Took it out for a test drive and the speedo on it did not work. sent it back to acewell. Of course the tech could not find anything wrong it. He said he would call me back if he could find a solution. No call back for over a week now and he never returned my call today.

Installed Maier Woodsman pro deluxe handguards, was not overly impressed with the installation of them. However they seem plenty strong.
I tried to fix the squeaky exhaust by following the klr internet commando's solution, which is punching holes in the spark arrester. No more squeak at idle, but now I can hear it when cruising down the highway.

I am about half way done with my radiator protecter/crash bars. And after they are done I will start on building rear luggage racks.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

sectoidman posted:

So uh, how do you know? :v:

Spilled some from both resevoirs. My triple tree plate lost some paint and so did my rear hugger. Fortunately it didn't strip paint from the frame.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
Primed and painted my tank today. I still need to do the bottom of it, but i'm thinking i'll just throw the primer on there to prevent rust, it's not like anyone sees the bottom of a tank anyway.

Heres it primed:

And painted:

Not the best job, but it looks a hell of a lot better then it did.

EvilDonald
Aug 30, 2002

I'm the urban spaceman, baby.

SuperSlant6 posted:

I have been meaning to do the "t-mod" to my klr, just to prevent any frustration in the future. I would probably rip the bike half apart like you trying to fix it.
As for my klr things have been progressing slowly.
Still no speedo, after the stock one broke and kawasaki wanted $160 for one part, I decided to go the aftermarket route.
I have a Vapor, but haven't got around to installing it yet. But anyway, bike choice and user name; you have good taste, friend.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The monkeyfuckers at bikebandit shipped my right side frame stay via UPS, when it clearly says "international orders via Fedex" on their website. Preparing for 100%-of-purchase-price cross-border brokerage assrape.

Anyone ever have any success counterbilling bikebandit for stupid stunts like that?

E: five minutes of work, but an important five. Take off lower subframe bolt -> rotate subframe enough to fit other lower subframe bolt -> loctite both and install -> remove hosed-thread placeholder upper subframe bolt -> loctite new upper subframe bolt -> INSTALL NEW UPPER SUBFRAME BOLT. The little bastard that started this month of fuckaroundery and thumb-twiddling is finally finished. It's in at a degree or two angle, which is why I'm not remounting the crashbars and why I had to wait an extra week to get the OEM bolt, but I believe the OEM should be good. All that's left to do for saleable condition is the reserve coolant stay from above, and the rotted wellnuts on the windscreen. It should be rideable right now, and tomorrow I'mma be installing the battery, tank and seat and giving it a spin.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 9, 2009

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did baby's very first oil change since I've owned the bike. The last change was when I took it to the shop, roughly 2000 miles ago and the oil was looking rather dark through the sight glass. I'm probably just blind, but whatever, I wanted to switch to Rotella T anyway. Changed the filter, checked the oil screen (covered in what looked like gasket material, probably never checked before), bolted everything back up and filled her with a sweet graduated funnel that I got at Wal-mart. It has a on/off valve and a length of tube. Makes it very easy to put exactly how much I want into the case.

I need to get my hands on an inch-pounds torque wrench to check the oil screen cover. It calls for the generic 6mm torque value of 60 in-lbs for the bolts, which according to Wolfram-Alpha is 5 ft-lbs. The torque wrench I borrowed from Autozone didn't seem to be clicking at the right torque (it was almost all the way out). I just tightened them by feel for now, and I'm keeping a close eye on them until I can grab my own torque wrench.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

After about an hour on my 919 I get pretty uncomfortable, so I got this to try out:

A Corbin seat and some non-Corbin passenger backrest I'll probably try to sell

It will take some getting used to. Its definitely higher than the stock seat, and the higher center of gravity was weird on the first turn I took. I only got to go out for a little more than an hour, but it seems more comfortable on highway driving. For stop and go it kind of sucks though, because the back area is wider than the stock seat, so I have to move myself forward so it doesn't dig into my legs as much, then reposition when I get moving again. Hopefully this weekend I can get a few hours on it and see how much it helps.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Tank on, seat on, testride. It's a bike again. Gonna wring the poo poo out of it over the next week or so, see if that elicits the oilburn I think I have.

e: You too on the wellnuts, huh? VVV

Phy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 11, 2009

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Found Emgo oil filters at Bike Bandit for the KLR for $1.87, ordered 5 to save on shipping this week and changed it today with Rotella 15-40.

The rubber well nuts on it have already dry rotted out, making it impossible to change out the windshield or adjust the headlight without taking off the cowling first. I found a good site that has the M5's it uses for 60 cents, a hell of a lot better than the $5 OEM, ordered 10 since Kawi really like their well nuts.
Here's the site
http://www.desmoparts.com/ducati/wellnut/wellnut.htm

Sphyx
May 23, 2005
I am made of magic.
After my bike returned from a month stay in the shop with its tail/lights/reflectors replaced (low-speed rearend accidents, cool!), I discovered that all of the lights save the back signals no longer work. After 10 minutes of troubleshooting: the fuse is fine but the brake light was unplugged... which reseating fixed nothing. Unfortunately I know nothing of wiring. Back to the shop again ugh. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Sphyx posted:

After my bike returned from a month stay in the shop with its tail/lights/reflectors replaced (low-speed rearend accidents, cool!), I discovered that all of the lights save the back signals no longer work. After 10 minutes of troubleshooting: the fuse is fine but the brake light was unplugged... which reseating fixed nothing. Unfortunately I know nothing of wiring. Back to the shop again ugh. :(

If you're so inclined, stuff like that can usually be tracked down fairly easily with a multimeter and some time. Electrical stuff is simple, but can be time consuming to check out. I'll walk you through the basics if you want to give it a shot on your own :)

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Buell is getting new tires put on today, and the Honda got the exhaust painted this week, along with straightening/trimming the license plate holder. Hopefully the new tires (Shinko 009R's - recommended by the shop and several places online) will outlast the lovely mileage-wise Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's on there now.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
After months of riding the Husky around with no inspection (because it kept failing) I got it to pass. Basically, the brake light was too dim to see and I had to unscrew the lens and show him the bulb, while explaining that it has to pass because it's OEM and promising to get a different tail light. Ugh Italian bikes.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Radiator guards and new handguards that attach to my fork pinch mounts instead of on the bar. Ready for some enduro track action tomorrow.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Quote =! Edit.

Sorry.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

VTNewb posted:

Radiator guards and new handguards that attach to my fork pinch mounts instead of on the bar. Ready for some enduro track action tomorrow.

remember your power bars, exhaustion is not fun

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

rifles posted:

remember your power bars, exhaustion is not fun

I do boiled eggs myself.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Took the clip-ons off and put the stock bars back on. As much as I like the look and feel of clip-ons, that poo poo was just killing my back. Also wire-brushed off the rear brake pads since they were squeaking.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
today i stopped using it as a junk shelf, cleaned it off and drained the oil.

i need a o-ring for the carb and i also want to clean and seal the tank. i also need new fuel line, petcock and fuel fittings.

the plan is to get it running then worry about tires and brakes

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Gnaghi posted:

Ugh Italian bikes.

:psyduck:

Husky as in Husqvarna? I thought they were Swedish?

p.s. not defending the Italians in any way.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

sirbeefalot posted:

:psyduck:

Husky as in Husqvarna? I thought they were Swedish?

p.s. not defending the Italians in any way.

Well, the company began in Sweden but was sold to Cagiva/MV Agusta in the 80s. BMW bought them in 07 (mine's an 06), but Husky headquarters is still in the quaint Italian village of breakeasio.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
loaded my 1955 BMW up today for a 1000mi ride to the BMW club rally tomorrow morning.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
Rode around a bit and my odo ticked over 20k. Also the check engine light came on. The codes were for ignition problems or misfires but the bike was running fine all the way up to red line so I went ahead and reset them. Hopefully they won't come back, maybe I'll do some night riding to check.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

today i stopped using it as a junk shelf, cleaned it off and drained the oil.

i need a o-ring for the carb and i also want to clean and seal the tank. i also need new fuel line, petcock and fuel fittings.

the plan is to get it running then worry about tires and brakes

Wow, what kind of bike is that?

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Installed new HH front brake pads. WOW, what a difference over stock (1991 Kawasaki EX500). I was probably using the pads the bike originally came with, which worked great anyway, but I can't believe the braking power I have now. I have to modify my squeeze because I risk locking up :D. I can't wait until they break in.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Chairon posted:

Wow, what kind of bike is that?

its a 1950 BSA B33 that has been sitting in a garage since 1968

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
12k service and a set of Michelin Pilot Powers for the SV650.

I cant wait to get them scrubbed in and hit the mountains. After 12k of horrible OEM tyres, im dying for some feeling.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Took a trip to find the Blair Witch, a total trip of around 200 miles. Naturally, everything went great up until the last 10 miles when some woman in an SUV tried to merge into me. I braked, locked the rear, let off and thankfully recovered, swerved and went on my way, but GOD. I need to go practice emergency braking. Fun ride, though. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Took a trip to find the Blair Witch...some woman in an SUV tried to merge into me

Mission accomplished. :tinfoil: