Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JohnnyRnR
May 16, 2004
Beer Ninja

Hawkeye posted:

That's my plan, it seems logical to me but please let me know.

Hawkeye, that's a fine plan. You're welcome, and I like to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand

Zantie posted:

Cheap Costume Stuff? Hoho, classy lady. Make her find her own drat ring if that's the case :colbert:

Ha, I love her to death, but once she makes up her mind about something it's a bit difficult to get her to adjust her perceptions.

Though, personally, I love Etsy and will probably get my band off of there. The amount of cool stuff is absolutely mind-blowing.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Hawkeye posted:

Those are some good points, thanks.

So far, I think I have narrowed down some of the characteristics I will shoot for:

g-h color
vs2-si1
0.75-0.95 carat

and by using those criteria, then use the holloway cut advisor on pricescope to make sure that the cut is at by their score around 1.4 or lower.

By this and hopefully from images/reports online (i've noticed that good old gold, while having a lovely name, has what appears to be more data on their stones than bluenile/whiteflash) pick out a stone.

Then, have the stone sent to an independant appraiser to ensure it is what it says it is.

That's my plan, it seems logical to me but please let me know

Thanks for all the help/support folks! Especially johnnyRnR.

If you're going to shop with Good Old Gold, do yourself a favor and look into one of those new Old Mine Cushions they're cutting. It's not too often anymore that I really see a diamond that whips my head around, but those are real beauties. If your girlfriend has her heart set on a round, then by all means do that, but if she's open on shapes, the new OMCs are really top notch.

That sounds like a really lame rear end ad campaign from someone who works there, but I have nothing to do with the company and I'm just endorsing them because of how great they look. If I wanted a diamond in my engagement ring I'd seriously consider getting one, even though it would be much cheaper and less problematic for me to buy a diamond at the store I work for. That's how much I like those little guys.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Just chiming in to say that I proposed to my lady last Sunday and she said yes. Now the massive planning must begin. I am not good at making lists, this seems to be a large character flaw at this juncture.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003

ATwoSlotToaster posted:

Quick question... Has anyone ever heard of having a couple male bridesmaids and a couple female groomsmen? My fiancee and I want to do that but my mom didn't seem too keen on the idea. We're gonna do it anyway but she is worried that people will dislike the idea. What are some thoughts or opinions? (I am also aware that it is OUR wedding so we can do what we want, and we will be doing this idea, just interested in learning more about this specifically.) Thanks!

I had a Man of Honor and two bridesmaids, and my husband had three groomsmen, and no one was in the least bit put off by the fact that my "maid" of honor was my best friend Eric. My father remarked afterwards that it had been an excellent choice because he was so impressed at how unflappable Eric was and how well he kept me calm during the prep. And hey, I totally recommend it purely for practicality - he didn't have a bouquet of his own to carry, and so it was easy for him to take mine during the vows, without having to juggle anything. And he had POCKETS, which totally rocked, so useful, and so rare on a bridesmaid!

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I took the FidgetyRat approach to diamond shopping..

1) is it in my price range?
2) Is it real
3) is it pretty?

buy

Honestly, who the hell cares if its 1 micron off from perfection.. If you can't see it with the naked eye and the price at least matches the gem, why bother trying to calculate facet angles, etc.

In the end, all you are really getting is an over priced rock :argh:

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
This thread is the best thread.

I'm a Canadian marrying an American and heading to the US on a K-1 visa - date is not set yet as we're waiting on my appointment still; we're hoping the appointment is sometime in September. He proposed over three years ago. We've always known we wanted to spend the rest of our lives with each other: we've been together for over eight years as of May, and we lived together for five years before he had to return to the US because his student visa ran out, which is a long story in and of itself (I'm 29 and he's 31, and we got tired of being students... plus the loans were getting terrifyingly large). Since then it's been a matter of paperwork and who can support who - he won the support race. We might not have a date yet, but we're already trying to pre-plan as much as we can so that once we know either 'yes' or 'no' about the visa - we're pretty sure it's a 'yes', though, according to the lawyer - we can just go ahead and actually spend the money booking what we need to book without wasting the very limited time we've got with having to find everything.

We've already figured out that we're probably getting married in the late fall/early winter in Buffalo, NY - his hometown and where I'd be moving to - that we're doing it on a Sunday afternoon and hopefully as a brunch. I decided to do cookie cutters as favours - one maple leaf, one buffalo, packaged with a favourite sugar cookie recipe. His sister is a professional photographer who used to shoot weddings and gave us our wedding pictures as a gift, and between the both of us we have two very excited mothers who are inveterate bargain hunters and know we're poor. I've been looking at dresses, colours, venues... I'm stunned at how much needs to be thought of even for the 'simple' wedding we want of about 125 people.

It's a big relief to see people posting about having male Maids of Honours (Men of Honour?), because I plan on doing the same. Thank you for validation, internet!

I also have a question - I'm trying to figure out the best way to be 'walked' down the aisle. My parents split over 15 years ago and my biological father and I have spent the past few years slowly patching a rocky relationship. My mother, my stepfather and I have a great relationship, and my stepdad has been a such a positive influence on my life. I know that my bio-dad will want to have the chance to walk me down - he's uber traditional - but if I have only him do it, I feel it's a slap to the face of the two people who actually raised me. However, my bio-dad and I are starting to patch things up, so if I exclude him all the work I've done so far will go up in smoke.

Argh! Has anyone else ever had to cope with this before? How did you do it? I'm open to suggestions here.

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sehkmet posted:

Argh! Has anyone else ever had to cope with this before? How did you do it? I'm open to suggestions here.

Why not have them both walk you down the isle? I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless it would cause a major conflict because they hate each other, or something.

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Sehkmet posted:

This thread is the best thread.

I'm a Canadian marrying an American and heading to the US on a K-1 visa - date is not set yet as we're waiting on my appointment still; we're hoping the appointment is sometime in September. He proposed over three years ago. We've always known we wanted to spend the rest of our lives with each other: we've been together for over eight years as of May, and we lived together for five years before he had to return to the US because his student visa ran out, which is a long story in and of itself (I'm 29 and he's 31, and we got tired of being students... plus the loans were getting terrifyingly large). Since then it's been a matter of paperwork and who can support who - he won the support race. We might not have a date yet, but we're already trying to pre-plan as much as we can so that once we know either 'yes' or 'no' about the visa - we're pretty sure it's a 'yes', though, according to the lawyer - we can just go ahead and actually spend the money booking what we need to book without wasting the very limited time we've got with having to find everything.

Provided there is nothing unusual about your case (bans from entering the US, etc) you'll sail right through. My visa interview was about 30 seconds long; most Canadians have little trouble because (as the consular officer put it, complete with :airquote: gesture) we don't have "motivation" to immigrate to the US. Do not waste any energy worrying about being approved; Cdn meets USC is a story as old as the border and it raises no eyebrows, despite how the process likes to make things difficult.

However, since you're on a k-1, it's a good idea to try to plan the second stage so you don't end up trapped inside the US, unable to work or do anything, for 6+ months. We did a quickie legal marriage within 48hrs of my arrival so we could get the second batch of paperwork rolling. As it was, I got here at the end of May and couldn't work until September. However, I was able to apply for Cdn EI; there is lots of info on how to do that on the site I'm linking below.

I recommend not wasting money on having a lawyer fill out the paperwork for you; go to http://www.visajourney.com and follow the guides there, unless you have money to burn. The second stage filing is hella expensive as it is, you don't need to pay a lawyer extra to do something you can easily do yourself. We filled everything out ourselves and had no problems aside from my husband being a doofus and forgetting to ask his dad for a copy of his birth certificate, which delayed things perhaps for a week or two at most.

If you have any questions about the process, let me know; there are a few k-1 filers in this thread.

As for bio-dad and the people who actually raised you, I'd recommend either going down the aisle by yourself or have them relay you down the aisle; bio-dad first who hands you to mom and step dad on either side of you, who walk you down the second half.

Kitten Kisses
Apr 2, 2007

Dancing with myself.
So planning a wedding in a seperate state is a huge pain in the rear end. In the past four days I have gotten my dress, flower arrangements, colors, date, venue, caterer, and cake all chosen and confirmed. The venue was definitely the worst, we visited six places in one day and two more on the second. Blargh, I don't want to think about this wedding for at least a month. On the bright side we just need a photographer and officiant now and we're pretty much done with all the big decisions. yay!

Whoever said earlier in the thread that this was going to be hard was so totally right.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
We had the cheapest wedding ever, and it was the most fun as well. 48 guests and it cost us around $1100, converted from Danish Kroner.

Titanium rings, cheap venue, we provided the (catered) food and the guests brought their own drinks (champagne on us, though), music was my laptop hooked up to a stereo, and two of my old colleagues heating and serving the food, doing the dishes and having a few drinks with the rest of us afterwards.

Very informal, everyone having lots of fun and it was basically our closest friends and family getting drunk and being happy, celebrating our marriage with us. We've had nothing but positive feedback, including quite a few remarks along the lines of, "It was really nice to be at such an informal and down-to-earth wedding".

I really don't see the need for a classic Princess-style wedding when everyone stresses so much less and gets so much more out of just taking it easy.
Edit: Not a dig at anyone, it just wasn't for us and we're very happy that we did it our way :)

Mzuri fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 5, 2009

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.

Farewell Horizon posted:

Why not have them both walk you down the isle? I don't see anything wrong with that. Unless it would cause a major conflict because they hate each other, or something.

Sadly, my stepfather wouldn't give a toss, but my bio-father would probably cause a stink. He's like that.

<bitter> He's also the reason there won't be an open bar. Hrf. </bitter>

RedFish posted:

visa stuff

Thank you for the useful information (and the previous experience feedback)! We went with a lawyer for this phase just to be safe; previous attempts at filing independently have not worked out for us for one reason or another. The lawyer was able to resurrect expired filings for us and move us further ahead than where we were even six months ago, so at least for this phase the lawyer's been worth it. The fiance and I will have to talk about the second half. Money's going to be tight at that point, so we have to make some decisions which we're working on now, combined with our finances.

As for the quickie wedding, I've already made that comment in jest but both families have given me the old stink-eye, and with good reason. If we do the just-sign-the-paperwork wedding, we're never going to have a 'proper' wedding (ie. even having a reception) because it'll constantly be 'oh we can use the money for something else' and we'll never have one - it's just how we work. We never spend money on ourselves, really, always saving for a 'rainy day'. Both families are going to help us sort it out, help pay for it, and help us get set up, so I've decided to strike while the iron is hot, accept the assistance, and try to pre-plan as much as possible. I hope to have the wedding within a month of arrival in the US, which is why I'm trying to do legwork now. I know this is probably optimistic, but I'm crazy like that.

Having a half-and-half setup for the big walk might be a good idea - I'll have to pitch it to those involved, see if it appeases everyone (read: my bio-dad).

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Kitten Kisses posted:

So planning a wedding in a seperate state is a huge pain in the rear end. In the past four days I have gotten my dress, flower arrangements, colors, date, venue, caterer, and cake all chosen and confirmed. The venue was definitely the worst, we visited six places in one day and two more on the second. Blargh, I don't want to think about this wedding for at least a month. On the bright side we just need a photographer and officiant now and we're pretty much done with all the big decisions. yay!

Whoever said earlier in the thread that this was going to be hard was so totally right.

Wow, congrats on getting all that done. We made the 16 hour drive home last month and got the venue (in-house catering) and cake done and I thought that was something! I'm flying home next month for dress/bridemaids' dresses. I didn't think I'd be able to get flowers in there too, but you've inspired me! I forgot we need an officiant. Ha.

We had a lot of luck finding our photographers online, though I'm going to meet them in person when I go home. I think it's important for them to see the venue with me as they haven't shot there before.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Edit: Whelp, nevermind

Mannequin fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jul 6, 2009

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

Mzuri posted:

super chill wedding

This is exactly what we are trying for (and around that budget too!). Its good to know that you got such positive feedback, as that is what we are primarily worried about. Congrats!

Farewell Horizon
Sep 12, 2005

by Fistgrrl

Sehkmet posted:

Sadly, my stepfather wouldn't give a toss, but my bio-father would probably cause a stink. He's like that.

<bitter> He's also the reason there won't be an open bar. Hrf. </bitter>

Then I think your only option is to talk to your step father and explain to him exactly whats going on and how you feel.

You want him to walk you down the aisle, but you know your bio father would be hurt if you didn't ask him, and you don't want to destroy everything you've worked for over something as silly as walking down the aisle.

Play down the role as if it has no sentimental value to you, and maybe find something else your step father could do in the ceremony. Like perhaps he could be your witness, or be a part of any kind of candle or sand ceremony you have.

Hopefully he will be understanding and support your decision.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

In leu of favors, we were thinking of making a donation to the cancer society.. Could people view this as cheap or tacky? We'd rather see the money go towards something good then into cheap dinky table favors or mints.

combee
Nov 17, 2007

it's the combee's knees!

combee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 23, 2013

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
On the subject of favors: My mother is convinced that in most circles wedding favors are considered tacky and in bad taste. She's 64. Did this ever hold any water?

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008

FidgetyRat posted:

In leu of favors, we were thinking of making a donation to the cancer society.. Could people view this as cheap or tacky? We'd rather see the money go towards something good then into cheap dinky table favors or mints.

I saw on one wedding website (I can't remember which one)where the couple gave everyone a token and the guests got to pick between 3 charities. Each one had some importance to them and that way the guests got to feel like they were contributing. In the end she counted each jar up and donated money given that each token was worth a dollar (or something like that).

I think using a charity is a wonderful idea and if I didn't already have something for my own wedding, I would have thought seriously about doing this.

maso posted:

On the subject of favors: My mother is convinced that in most circles wedding favors are considered tacky and in bad taste. She's 64. Did this ever hold any water?

I've seen and received some tacky favors, but I always thought they were considered a little thank you to the guests for coming. I would think that it would be in bad taste if you didn't have something, but wedding traditions vary greatly depending on culture and location.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
so i proposed, she said yes, all went well, but now we're freaking out about how to pay for it. Her happy tears make me feel awesome, the sad tears on the other hand :smithicide:

RedFish
Aug 6, 2006
..blue fish, one fish, two fish: blue fish need not apply.

Guy LeDouche posted:

so i proposed, she said yes, all went well, but now we're freaking out about how to pay for it. Her happy tears make me feel awesome, the sad tears on the other hand :smithicide:

Congrats! We require handshots so we can make appreciative comments that will make your chest swell with pride, tia.

Get secretly married first and then the big wedding thing will lose it's urgency. ;) Failing that, do some research on how to DIY things. Have it on an unusual day of the week to cut down venue costs. Find a pastry student to bake the cake, or do a cupcake cake made by friends. Get the flowers from a wholesalers and arrange them yourselves. Look at the offbeat bride. Prioritize, and then start letting go of things that don't matter. Find alternate venues for cheap. Buy a second-hand dress.

There are lots of ways to cut costs, have her funnel her anxious energy into research.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Guy LeDouche posted:

For starters, you both need to sit down and judge priorities.. If a huge wedding is not that important to you both, then you don't have to worry.. If it is important to her, have her set saving priorities or push the date back a year until you can afford it.

You need to be firm and work together in planning and affording a wedding. In the end, if you can't agree on the wedding or keeping a cool head when it comes to affordability, just imagine what your life together will be like, especially when it comes to home buying! Yikes!

In our case, we ended up planning and putting the foundation in on the wedding, then fell into a house buying situation we couldn't pass up. The last year has been extremely frugal living, almost no eating out, etc which is tough for two young people who make a decent amount of money.. At least one good thing to come from this was our working together and fighting to save as much as possible.. That is something we may be able to continue (though not as extreme) in the future.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

teacherkate posted:

(Donating to charities in lieu of favors, favors being tacky in some circles, etc)

I've seen and received some tacky favors, but I always thought they were considered a little thank you to the guests for coming. I would think that it would be in bad taste if you didn't have something, but wedding traditions vary greatly depending on culture and location.

I've always wondered about favors because when I talk to the adults of my parents' generation they all say that it wasn't really done in their time. From that, I just kind of assumed that favors were invented by the wedding industry as another way to get money. Does anyone know when it became popular*?

As a guest, I am happy to be invited to a giant party and served free food. I am not at all insulted not to be given a gift as well. I've seen a few personal favors like homemade wine with the bride and groom's name on the bottles or fortune cookies because that's how he proposed, but even those were left on the tables more often than not (more wine for me!). Less personalized favors are often ignored or just eaten like the rest of the food, in my experience, and not really missed.

I don't plan on doing favors. I don't have anything personal I could give to everyone and, quite frankly, I'm on a budget and it's a loooooooow priority. The charity idea is great though, but still I don't think people should feel obligated to do favors at all.

*I'm sure rich people have been doing it for a long time to show off wealth, but when did it become standard/expected for everyone?

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 6, 2009

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Kiri koli posted:

I've always wondered about favors because when I talk to the adults of my parents' generation they all say that it wasn't really done in their time. From that, I just kind of assumed that favors were invented by the wedding industry as another way to get money. Does anyone know when it became popular?

I've never been to a wedding with favors, I didn't even realize it was a common thing until this thread and never really noticed they were missing. I thought it was just for people with an unlimited budget.

I thought maybe I'd missed them since I wasn't really looking but I just went to another wedding a week ago and there were still no favors. I don't think it's a big deal, nobody left upset (welll... except the fire alarm went off in the middle of the reception and that upset some people). I was much more bothered by the lack off appetizers during the long cocktail hour than a lack of favors.

Ophelia's Ashes
Jun 4, 2003
Alias the nuisance grounds

Sehkmet posted:

I had the same issue as well. My step-father is walking me half way down the isle and then my biological dad is walking me the rest of the way to my husband to be!

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.
I was just at a wedding recently where we were loaded up on favors. There were literally 4 or 5 different things for the guests: bags of candy, flipflops, vases, and personalized lollipops. A lot of us thought it was overboard, especially considering how few people actually took the vases and flipflops. I gotta say, while planning your own wedding, it's pretty handy to go to other people's. You get great ideas for both what to do and not to do.

Teacherkate, I love the token thing! We're trying to figure out what we want to do about favors at the moment, and I've been toying around donating to charities.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Kiri koli posted:

I've always wondered about favors because when I talk to the adults of my parents' generation they all say that it wasn't really done in their time. From that, I just kind of assumed that favors were invented by the wedding industry as another way to get money. Does anyone know when it became popular*?

[snip]

*I'm sure rich people have been doing it for a long time to show off wealth, but when did it become standard/expected for everyone?

I'm getting married this Friday ( :supaburn: ) and in our fairly limited budget, we did favors* simply because her culture is big on gift giving in general. It's the same part of her psyche that forces us to bring too much food to a potluck and made her give gifts to the guests at the bridal shower.

* I didn't think it was that bad, at $2-$3 per favor.

Zealous Abattoir
Nov 27, 2005
To half the wedding's I've been to the favors have been either little baggies, pretty cardboard boxes, or really small jewelry boxes full of almonds. I dont know why it is always almonds, but I love it and it can't be that expensive if you buy two massive bags and some tulle and ribbons.

Caramaline
Aug 4, 2006

Takin' a dirt nap with baby Jesus

Zealous Abattoir posted:

To half the wedding's I've been to the favors have been either little baggies, pretty cardboard boxes, or really small jewelry boxes full of almonds. I dont know why it is always almonds, but I love it and it can't be that expensive if you buy two massive bags and some tulle and ribbons.

Most weddings I've been to are like this only with chocolates instead of almonds. Recently at a friend's wedding she gave large cookies with each person's name written on them in icing which also served as the seating markers.
Also when my aunt got married my mom crocheted individual little doilies for each person, each one had a different design. It was cheap and turned out well.
I've never been to a wedding where favors have been anything more than something like that.

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn
As far as favors are concerned, we lucked out and found little tiny pots that come with a soil pellet and daisy seeds for 69 cents a piece. Add in some tiny organza bags, cut the labels a bit, and get a silver paint pen and voila! favors and placecards all in one for about a dollar a pop. Not bad, if you ask me.

And I have never understood the almonds thing. If you want them at your wedding, put a bowl of them on each table, but why go through the trouble of putting them in individual bags?

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Zealous Abattoir posted:

According to wikipedia, wedding favors started out as sugar cubes in fancy boxes because sugar was rare. Then when sugar became less rare, it switched to almonds that signified best wishes for the bridegroom. Then sugar coated almonds and so on.

Huh, the more you know...

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Kiri koli posted:

it switched to almonds that signified best wishes for the bridegroom.

Except in my case when it signifies a burning, potentially closing throat.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

FidgetyRat posted:

Except in my case when it signifies a burning, potentially closing throat.

I'm sorry, that sucks. :( Almonds are yummy.

I'm very excited that I found a free wedding website that doesn't suck and it does online RSVPs! I get to cheap out on stamps, whoo!

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)
We're making our invitation list right now and I told him to start with 50 people for himself and 50 for me and we'd work on it from there. He was at 66 before finishing his family (immediate/aunts/uncles/cousins only). I can't even hit 50 with friends and family :lol:

But it seems like his relatives would feel snubbed if not invite. He also seems to be inviting an ex, so...

No questions really, it wont be so bad since half the people I'm inviting wont be able to come anyway (my mom is from the Bahamas and I live in the Boston area... oh and my relatives in Guam probably wont show either) but honestly, just how many people can you invite?

I Wish I Was
Dec 11, 2006

I saw this at the bookshop and thought of you.

Abbeh posted:

We're making our invitation list right now and I told him to start with 50 people for himself and 50 for me and we'd work on it from there. He was at 66 before finishing his family (immediate/aunts/uncles/cousins only). I can't even hit 50 with friends and family :lol:

But it seems like his relatives would feel snubbed if not invite. He also seems to be inviting an ex, so...

No questions really, it wont be so bad since half the people I'm inviting wont be able to come anyway (my mom is from the Bahamas and I live in the Boston area... oh and my relatives in Guam probably wont show either) but honestly, just how many people can you invite?

My firs wedding was hilariously lopsided. My ex had six friends he'd known since sixth grade and all of their parents and siblings because he'd grown up with them, plus all the society people he had to invite because his mom was really big on that. I had my extended family, which is pretty small, a few friends from college, and that was it. We instructed the ushers specifically to NOT seat people based on groom's side and bride's side because it would have been just like My Big Fat Greek Wedding where her half is loaded with people and his has like ten people. We also did the huge wedding thing because of social expectation and that was so stressful I almost died and cost $15,000 that could have been better spent on things that would have lasted longer.

I'm engaged now; we're getting married on October 10, the anniversary of our first date. He wanted a small simple wedding, which was great for me because I have no desire to do the big wedding thing again. We're doing the ceremony at the courthouse with my daughter and both our sets of parents only, and then a reception in the afternoon of BBQ at the restaurant where we had our first date. Our guest list is 30 people, and pretty even on both sides, which is awesome to me. My ring is Moissanite, from moissanite.com, and I got a ring that in a diamond would have cost about twice as much as what we paid and it's gorgeous and exactly what I wanted. We want kids and a bigger house sometime in the next few years, plus I'm going back to school, so not spending a ton of money was a huge priority for both of us.

My dress was $50 at Dress Barn for a nice tea-length white dress with brown flowers and green trim, and my daughter's dress with brown and green dots on it was $35 at Dillard's. He still needs to buy a coordinating tie and a dress shirt and pants, but I can't imagine that'll be more than $150. Wedding rings all together were $1200 (his is tungsten, mine are palladium). Reception will be $15/head plus beer, wine, and pie and cobbler instead of wedding cake for dessert. Wedding license is $75, courthouse wedding is $100. Honeymoon will consist of driving around to Texas breweries and wineries and doing tastings and tours, staying at B&Bs run by wineries and breweries. We have an awesome laser printer so we're doing the invitations and announcements ourselves. Flowers will be pretty much just centerpieces for tables at the reception. His best friend is an awesome photographer who has done a ton of weddings so he's giving us that as his gift.

At my first wedding, I had a Dude of Honor (my best friend) and a Bridesdude (my brother), plus three bridesmaids. We had two ushers and my ex had seven groomsmen. When we went to the bridal store and said we needed thirteen tuxes and three dresses, the lady looked at me like I'd grown a third eye. The photographer at the wedding also could not for the life of him remember that I had a Dude of Honor and not a Maid of Honor, but other than that it went really well and everyone who attended seemed to get a kick out of the novelty of it.

KarmaCandy
Jan 14, 2006

Abbeh posted:

but honestly, just how many people can you invite?

A lot. That last wedding I just went to (where there were no favors), we had no idea who either the bride or groom were - we'd never met them. The bride's dad is a coworker of my boyfriend and a serious one at that (partner to first year associate) so he was scared to turn it down. The father's whole entire department at his law firm was there. It's a small department with only like 10 people there, but then they all bring spouses so that's 20 people. And we don't even know the people getting married!

I'm really trying to avoid that for myself, but my Dad unfortunately has other plans.

justaname
Dec 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl
I know this isn't terribly helpful... but for what it's worth if I had it to do over I would totally elope. My wedding was very nice, but also a big nightmare, the stress and cost of it all was entirely unnecessary, the bickering, and family in-laws fueding... ugh

Marying her was still the best thing I've ever done though

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Our original plan was to have about 100 people.. Then my mother stepped in and required that we invite all these distant relatives I didn't even know I had.. We struck a deal in which they paid for anyone I didn't know (since my fianceé and I were paying for the wedding ourselves).

In the end, after those and a bunch of "Oh, lets invite so-and-so", we ended up with 170 invited.. After the response cards came back, 133 accepted, so thats not too shabby at all.

One good thing about distant relatives you don't know is that the chances of them coming are slim to none.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
We're doing a lot better. The first 48 hours of engagement are so surreal, especially when you are making the rounds to family and friends. I thought so much about everything up to the point where I gave her the ring, but nothing beyond that.

We got the "Wedding Kit for Dummies" book & CD and its a great help. Lots of checklists and spreadsheets. Our rough cut guest list was 115 people and we're lucky that her father is a professional photographer/graphic designer (he just did all the stationary for gf's cousin's wedding), her brother is a sound rigger and has tons of PA equipment, one of her best friends is a make-up artist, we live in LA close to the flower district, etc. Once we sat down last night and starting plugging through the "To Do" list, she was a lot happier.

e: Facebook seems to be more than adequate for informing our generation of friends, but we still need to figure out some simple engagement announcements for the old folks.

Scott Forstall fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 7, 2009