Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pen Expers posted:

Any Tips for The Dig once Valve gets it to work on steam? I played through and loved Fate of Atlantis so I'm not a stranger to the game style. I had the demo to The Dig way back in the day that was only the first area and somehow managed to not get the full version all these years.

Well it's your typical lucasarts adventure game: you can't die, so don't worry about trying everything. There's one point in the game where you'll need to piece together a skeleton that's total bullshit, don't be afraid to look online for an answer to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Johnny is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all bangers

Heh, I guess I should have read this thread a while ago. A friend lent me Mass Effect for my new 360, and where was the first place I went to? Noveria. gently caress, the boss isn't even so hard, it's just everything else at the same time.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Actually I'm about to start Mass Effect, any advice on which class to pick for maximum fun and how not to gimp myself too much?

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Cart posted:

Actually I'm about to start Mass Effect, any advice on which class to pick for maximum fun and how not to gimp myself too much?

I believe the general consensus is soldier first.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Return to Sender posted:

I believe the general consensus is soldier first.

Honestly? I'd pick Infiltrator, and not just because that's what I did on my first run. It gives you lockpicking/hacking on your PC, so no worrying about having someone along for it, and the sniper rifle/pistol combo is pretty nice.

Soldier is basically 'easy mode'. Properly leveled and equipped you can take rockets to the face and not lose health.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I played Star Ocean: Second Evolution and loved it, thus ordered Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2.

Oh and Star Ocean: Second Evolution
-Once you get Bloody Armor, you are almost invincible save for Rena because she can't wear Bloody Armor. Despite bleeding out due to the armor at an alarming rate, Rena can party heal by that point and you should do fine as long as Rena is safe.
-Get amulets of flexibility for your party ready for the second half of the game. It seems like all the bosses enjoy petrifying your rear end.
-When doing private actions in cities, explore every room and corner until you find something that lets you interact deeply with another character. It can be pretty humorous and rewarding.
-PICKPOCKET EVERYTHING.
-Try to win the Arena (Get to the final round). You'll get access to the Deadly Edge which isn't that great by itself, but can be customized with Mithril to become the Sword of Minos, and when customized with another Mithril, becomes Aeterna (Eternal Sphere), one of Claude's best weapons in the game (if not the best).

Any tips for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? (Anything I should be sure not to miss, or advice skills?)

Cosmic Horror
Feb 2, 2009

DON'T BRING A GUN TO A SHELBY FIGHT MOTHER FUCKER, THAT'S RIGHT YOU GOT KNOCKED THE FUCK OUT

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly? I'd pick Infiltrator, and not just because that's what I did on my first run. It gives you lockpicking/hacking on your PC, so no worrying about having someone along for it, and the sniper rifle/pistol combo is pretty nice.

Soldier is basically 'easy mode'. Properly leveled and equipped you can take rockets to the face and not lose health.

I hear people saying soldier first because it's the easiest, you get a feel for the game. Could be wrong. Then, for next playthroughs, you can choose to use your favorite non-pistol weapon with adept or engineer. Plus, it isn't hard to keep someone with you for hacking.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr E posted:

I'm still stuck there, have been for a year. :(

If we're talking about the white room with multiple enemy waves use the shock-wave move constantly and hope enemies drop t'lan. Don't be afraid to get up close before they spawn to ensure it hits, and use superjump to clear distance. Then lead them around the arena, do the straight punch and jump away. Its tedious as hell but its the only way I ever beat that game on the various difficulties.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Return to Sender posted:

I hear people saying soldier first because it's the easiest, you get a feel for the game. Could be wrong. Then, for next playthroughs, you can choose to use your favorite non-pistol weapon with adept or engineer. Plus, it isn't hard to keep someone with you for hacking.

Once you level up soldier to a proper level and pick the right specialization there is a 2 second period where you are not invincible basically. It's still great fun though, I took it first and would recommend you do the same. As for bringing someone along, don't worry about that. 2 of the more intesting NPCs have a tech background and you'd miss out on having them along if you chose a tech class, not to mention the only pure soldier NPC is an annoying bitch.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Return to Sender posted:

The only problem with this is that, if you only intend to play through the game once, you never get to play with any of the psi or tech powers that, to me, seem at the core of the battle system. I can't remember the name, but I played as the soldier/psi hybrid, and my roommate played as the Infiltrator (soldier/tech), giving each of us access to 2 of the 4 weapons and a cool little array of powers to level up. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the pure soldier class didn't have many abilities that weren't just buffs to their weapons or armor. Mass Effect is mediocre when played as a shooter.

Hell, if you don't mind the very early game being a challenge, you can go full tech (Engineer) or psi (Adept)and just hide behind your teammates or run Citadel fetchquests until you're flinging people around or blowing them up.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
I'm trying to play Persona 4 and I was really liking the game until I got to the first dungeon...

Can someone give me some tips because if I die after spending another 2 hours replaying the dungeon for the 3rd time I'm going to punt my PS3.

I'm attacking whatever weaknesses I can but that doesn't seem to matter. Most enemy attacks do vicious amounts of damage and despite all the leveling I'm doing it doesn't seem to have any impact on either my defense or attack power. By the 5th floor of the drat castle I'm all out of healing items, revive items and stuff that restores soul points. Some of the enemies don't appear to have a weakness.

Am I doing something wrong or is the game just that loving hard because I don't have the patience for this.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

So for party mates, is it really not extremely important who you pick? I'm a soldier, but almost always bring Garrus and Wrex (occasionally Kaidan), because they are simply the coolest motherfuckers in space.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dissolusion posted:

So for party mates, is it really not extremely important who you pick? I'm a soldier, but almost always bring Garrus and Wrex (occasionally Kaidan), because they are simply the coolest motherfuckers in space.

Beyond some character specific dialogue, not really. It's up to your preference of character and what you need in a fight.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Beyond some character specific dialogue, not really. It's up to your preference of character and what you need in a fight.

I really liked the first time I had Garrus and Tali together, and they argued about which one of their species were the bigger dicks.

Paraphrasing:
Garrus: You guys are huuuuuge dicks!
Tali: Nu-uh! You!
Garrus: NO YOU!
Tali: NO YOU!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
^^ :argh:

Dissolusion posted:

Not really. They're mostly there for flavor text, although there is a point in the game where you will need to choose between two NPCs. It's not a big deal and you should pick the one who complements your usual party the most often. Just pick your two favourites, really. As long as you have someone who can hack poo poo and a biotic so you can cheese through the game, you're fine. Besides, since everyone levels at the same time, you're never really screwed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dissolusion posted:

Since you're a soldier I'd recommend against having Wrex because while he's cool he doesn't add anything to the party make-up.

Sturm
Oct 19, 2003

It's Xander or Sgt. Fury

muscles like this? posted:

Since you're a soldier I'd recommend against having Wrex because while he's cool he doesn't add anything to the party make-up.

Well he at least has a few biotic abilities, it's not like he is pure Soldier like Ashley.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

muscles like this? posted:

He has space magic and he is loving Wrex are you kidding me why the gently caress would you leave him behind?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
If you leave Wrex behind, you are literally gay.

Saints Crow
Aug 25, 2006

I mainly keep him because when Garrus goes down like a bitch, Wrex is there to back me up as my partner in the duo I lovingly call "Shotgun Motherfuckers from Beyond the Moon".

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008

McKracken posted:

I'm trying to play Persona 4 and I was really liking the game until I got to the first dungeon...

Can someone give me some tips because if I die after spending another 2 hours replaying the dungeon for the 3rd time I'm going to punt my PS3.

I'm attacking whatever weaknesses I can but that doesn't seem to matter. Most enemy attacks do vicious amounts of damage and despite all the leveling I'm doing it doesn't seem to have any impact on either my defense or attack power. By the 5th floor of the drat castle I'm all out of healing items, revive items and stuff that restores soul points. Some of the enemies don't appear to have a weakness.

Am I doing something wrong or is the game just that loving hard because I don't have the patience for this.

Leveling Personas is a lovely way to gain stats in the game, fusing is the only way you'll make any real gains. This is especially true because the Main Character only gains HP and SP when he gains a character level. If all your Personas aren't at least close to your MC's level (or higher, depending on your Social Links), get fusing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

McKracken posted:

Persona 4 has a weird inverse difficulty curve, in that the early dungeons are retardedly hard and they get easier as you go because you get tougher.

That being said, you don't have to do the dungeons in one day, if you leave the dungeon you can return to the furthest floor you reached. You've got a week or more til you have to beat the dungeon boss. Go as far as you can before getting exhausted, run back to the entrance (or use a Goho-M), and come back another day to continue.

Fusing Personas is pretty helpful too. At that point you'll have Yosuke and Chie who use Wind and Ice techniques respectively, so try to fuse a Persona with Agi or Zio to cover the weaknesses. But more than that, getting a Persona with Resist Physical will be helpful for the miniboss of that dungeon. Don't be afraid to fuse Izanagi, he's not really important.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
Anything for someone finally getting around to play Earthbound for the first time?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

Persona 4

You really shouldn't be having that much trouble with the first dungeon, and given what you've said I'm not entirely sure why you're having so much difficulty. If you're focusing on weaknesses then most fights should be trivial once you figure them out, just knock them all down and then group attack. The most obvious things:

- You can warp out of the dungeon with a special item (forgotten the name, but you can buy it in the pharmacy), save, and then jump back to the last floor you were on when you re-enter. If you're worried about dying then do this often. You lose money buying the items, but it's much less frustrating than the frequent deaths.

- You can safely waste 2 or 3 afternoons per dungeon, so if you're out of mana then leave and come back and do the rest another day when it's recharged. If you need more time, then try and go on rainy days, since there are only 1 or 2 social links you can boost on those days anyway.

- The things that boost your stats the most are the items you buy from the blacksmith. Armor is *much* more important than weapons, since often you're not using physical attacks to kill things. Assuming you've collected enough random junk from enemies, you should unlock armor that makes all the non-boss fights trivial by the time you've gotten about 80% of the way through it.

- Make sure you can cover the 4 elemental bases (ice, fire, wind and lightning) with your party, preferably have personas that allow your main character to do all of them. Only about 1 in 5 of the enemy types has no vulnerability to any of those types, most of the rest will be vulnerable to light or dark which you haven't unlocked yet. Occasionally enemies will be weak to physical attacks too, which is something I sometimes missed while spamming magic all over the place.

- Make sure you have take direct control over all your team mates. The AI is okay if the fights are easy and you're feeling lazy, but it's nowhere near as smart as you are (hopefully ;))

- Don't be afraid to combine the personas you pick up from enemies to get new ones. You can always get the persona back again from the ledger or from a fight. If you're having difficulty with a particular enemy, there's probably a persona which will help.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jul 9, 2009

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:

The Capm posted:

You know, it isn't as good, no, but it's not a bad game or anything and it's a lot better than the iphone version. If you want katamari on the go, the psp version isn't a bad choice.

I would still say it's an alright game, sure. But the analog stick controls work so well on the console version, so having to use the face buttons on the PSP made it a little less enjoyable.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Well it's your typical lucasarts adventure game: you can't die, so don't worry about trying everything. There's one point in the game where you'll need to piece together a skeleton that's total bullshit, don't be afraid to look online for an answer to it.

Probably the only thing you should know before playing The Dig is that the skeleton puzzle isn't meant to be solved on its own, that there are things outside of the puzzle that give you clues.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

McKracken posted:

Did you buy new armor at all ? I think the best thing that Daidara has is chain mail. Also for the Boss level up slime until it learns red wall at level 4 and resist physical at level 7.Get an Ukobach(level it up to level 7 so it can learn resist fire) get an Angel do a triple fusion and get those skills onto an Oberon. :) The boss is tough as hell but it'll get easier as you level up.

fit em all up in there fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 9, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

spamman5r posted:

Leveling Personas is a lovely way to gain stats in the game, fusing is the only way you'll make any real gains. This is especially true because the Main Character only gains HP and SP when he gains a character level.

I'm not trying to level for the sake of leveling, but it seems that despite level increases nothing really substantial happens in terms of character ability.

Dr.Snofeld posted:

That being said, you don't have to do the dungeons in one day, if you leave the dungeon you can return to the furthest floor you reached. You've got a week or more til you have to beat the dungeon boss. Go as far as you can before getting exhausted, run back to the entrance (or use a Goho-M), and come back another day to continue.

Fusing Personas is pretty helpful too. At that point you'll have Yosuke and Chie who use Wind and Ice techniques respectively, so try to fuse a Persona with Agi or Zio to cover the weaknesses. But more than that, getting a Persona with Resist Physical will be helpful for the miniboss of that dungeon. Don't be afraid to fuse Izanagi, he's not really important.
I'm on the last day of the rain currently, so I have no time to leave the dungeon and restock, I waited for two reasons.

A) No other RPG I have ever played in my entire history of video games, dating back to my first FF game in '90, has been anywhere near this difficult, so I expected to breeze through the first dungeon.
B) I spent the time doing social link activities because I could swear I read that was the most important thing to doing well in this game.

Also this is my first Persona game so I know next to nothing about fusing or how the Persona system really works, so I didn't go out of my way to fuse any, especially considering I only had like 3 of them before I started this dungeon. Are their stats translated into my stats? Like is the agility of the persona I have equipped my agility at the time?

Gerblyn posted:

Advice
It seems that only the really easy enemies have weaknesses. By the time I waste 2 or 3 turns figuring out what the weakness is I'm already near dead against some enemies, so I just resort to physical attacks, except that...physical attacks seem near pointless but I'd waste all my SP if I didn't use them.

I guess I shouldn't have left the entire dungeon for the last day. I had no idea it would be like this.

IntrepidInventive
Nov 28, 2008

Ah shouldn't give advahce in E\N, Jennay

Revitalized posted:

So I played Star Ocean: Second Evolution and loved it, thus ordered Star Ocean: Till the End of Time for the PS2.

Oh and Star Ocean: Second Evolution
-Once you get Bloody Armor, you are almost invincible save for Rena because she can't wear Bloody Armor. Despite bleeding out due to the armor at an alarming rate, Rena can party heal by that point and you should do fine as long as Rena is safe.
-Get amulets of flexibility for your party ready for the second half of the game. It seems like all the bosses enjoy petrifying your rear end.
-When doing private actions in cities, explore every room and corner until you find something that lets you interact deeply with another character. It can be pretty humorous and rewarding.
-PICKPOCKET EVERYTHING.
-Try to win the Arena (Get to the final round). You'll get access to the Deadly Edge which isn't that great by itself, but can be customized with Mithril to become the Sword of Minos, and when customized with another Mithril, becomes Aeterna (Eternal Sphere), one of Claude's best weapons in the game (if not the best).

Any tips for Star Ocean: Till the End of Time? (Anything I should be sure not to miss, or advice skills?)

The biggest tip I can give for this is do not expect Star Ocean 2 Part 2. The characters are bland, the world is bland, the story twist is absolute balls, and you don't get to do item creation for quite a while.

Make sure to fully explore all the maps. It's a stupid concept, but you'll get nice stuff for it. Also be prepared to fight every boss at least twice if you want to get all the battle trophies.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

It seems that only the really easy enemies have weaknesses. By the time I waste 2 or 3 turns figuring out what the weakness is I'm already near dead against some enemies, so I just resort to physical attacks, except that...physical attacks seem near pointless but I'd waste all my SP if I didn't use them.

I guess I shouldn't have left the entire dungeon for the last day. I had no idea it would be like this.

As far as combining goes, just try and combine anything you have to get anything you don't have. You should quickly get a big repertoire of personas that have a lot of different skills.

Physical attacks are pretty rubbish, even when boosted with the special skills. Most of enemies should have weaknesses though, the general idea is that the first fight vs an opponent is tough then the next times are easier, when you know which spells do and don't work. If you're really stuck, then skip ahead past the deadline, I've never done it myself (I'm too l33t) but I believe it should give you the option to skip back a week, so you can get some breathing room.

spamman5r
Oct 2, 2008

McKracken posted:

I'm not trying to level for the sake of leveling, but it seems that despite level increases nothing really substantial happens in terms of character ability.

I'm on the last day of the rain currently, so I have no time to leave the dungeon and restock, I waited for two reasons.

...snip...

I didn't mean to come off as ambiguous, but there are literally zero stat gains aside from HP and SP from main character levels. There are minute stat gains for Persona.

I've never actually done it, but from what I understand if you fail (by letting someone die in the fog) Igor will reset the game back to your state from 7 days prior (Social links and all), so you may want to consider this option. Completing the early dungeons in one go is not really possible in this game.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
For Earthbound:

Make sure you have your attack spell by the time you get to the boss of Giant Step.

Speaking of Giant Step, there's a reappearing Magic Butterfly just outside of the boss chamber. It's the only part of the dungeon that you actually are "outside" for. Use it to regain your PP, and by extension, your HP.

Once you get Jeff, feel free to stock him up with Bottle Rockets. He can't use PSI, so you might thing he's underpowered. Bottle Rockets are key.

The hardest boss in the game, in my opinion, is made much easier by using PSI Flash. It should be obvious which one it is.

When you get to the Guardian Diggers, leave the third strongest one for last.

Name your favorite food pussy.

Name your favorite thing "duck".

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl

McKracken posted:

The first dungeon is the hardest in the game because your characters don't have many skills, you don't have very effective personas, and the battle system is new to you. Keep at it, once you get it done you'll be fine for the rest of the game.

Leveling isn't as useful as it is in most RPGs. The PC's stats are entirely determined by his equipped persona. The only thing you get from grinding a high level are higher health and mana (as well as the ability to use higher level personas). However I wouldn't try the boss until the late teens. Spend some time in the velvet room and fuse some useful personas. Don't be afraid to fuse your personas because once you've got it once you can always get it back in the compendium. If you're fusing a persona and the preview shows a skill you don't like, back out to the persona choosing screen and try fusing again. Also, focus on S-Links when you're not dungeon crawling! They provide extremely useful free levels to the personas you fuse.

As for how you deal damage: Weaknesses, if you've played persona 3, aren't really as crucial. I usually only use attack magic on enemies that are resistant/immune to physical damage, or ones that are weak to magic and are particularly annoying if you let them live for a while, or like a big group of weak enemies that I can wipe out with an all-target spell. In addition, using attack magic on regular enemies is a good way to quickly run out of SP in the early game. Physical persona abilities are strong and inexpensive (and just meleeing isn't that bad either).

The dungeons are not designed to be completed in one go: expect to spend up to 4 days or so in the first one if you're having a lot of trouble. Later dungeons, once you have more powerful persona, can be completed in one day if you prepare well and know what you're doing. Going home will restore your health and mana. The other ways to restore SP in a dungeon are with restorative items (expensive - but get in the habit of buying Tap Soda from the vending machines downtown), the Hermit s-link (a dog that recovers SP for money, also expensive), and persona abilities (you aren't far enough to get persona that can do that). Keep a good stock of Goho-M's from the store as they are very cheap and send instantly send you to the entrance of the dungeon to fuse persona or save or heal up or go home or whatnot. Once you get back to the dungeon you can start on the highest floor you've been to.

If you still can't beat the dungeon in the time limit, getting to the limit will give you the option of going back in time a week. Obviously not preferable but maybe next time you'll get more prep time and suck less. It is always a really bad idea to leave the dungeon until very late, I usually try to do it asap if I don't have any social engagements.

Salt Block Party fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 9, 2009

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

McKracken posted:

A) No other RPG I have ever played in my entire history of video games, dating back to my first FF game in '90, has been anywhere near this difficult, so I expected to breeze through the first dungeon.
B) I spent the time doing social link activities because I could swear I read that was the most important thing to doing well in this game.

Also this is my first Persona game so I know next to nothing about fusing or how the Persona system really works, so I didn't go out of my way to fuse any, especially considering I only had like 3 of them before I started this dungeon. Are their stats translated into my stats? Like is the agility of the persona I have equipped my agility at the time?

Your Persona's stats are your stats, only HP and SP are the character's own, so to speak.

And I'm sorry to say that, if you have only one day left, and you haven't been in the dungeon AT ALL before then (since getting Chie I mean), you're pretty much hosed.

EDIT: I forgot about Igor setting the clock back, since I've never had that happen to me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

This is true, but do not expect to 100% all the social skills without a walk through. It's not just about spending a lot of time with people, but also making sure you do things at particular times so you boost your social skills to the right levels and also making sure that plot events give social link boosts when you need them rather than when you don't. I did it blind using only my experience of persona 3 to back me up and save scumming to always choose the best conversation choices and I still ended the game missing about 15 of the social skill levels that are available.

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 9, 2009

Salt Block Party
Jan 1, 2005

by Fistgrrl
You can basically think of your main character's personas as your Pokemon. Persona is a fancy version of Pokemon.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

homerlaw posted:

Anything for someone finally getting around to play Earthbound for the first time?
There are a couple places where butterflies respawn if you see them.

Freeze call stop an enemy for a while.

Lots of stuff that Jeff can use is repeatable and his Heavy Bazooka is broken, after you fix it.

Krakens don't drop any bats.

Eggs will be a great source of income if you hold on to lots of them.

Don't get to level 99 when Ness is alone by the end of the game.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Everyone giving me advice posted:

All the advice

I guess the major problem is that never having played a Persona game before this, I went in with a somewhat cocky attitude assuming I would blow through the first dungeon without batting an eye like nearly every other RPG I have ever played.

So it seems that I should let the game reset itself a week, because I can't see how I'm going to finish this dungeon in the shape I'm currently in.

Salt Block Party posted:

You can basically think of your main character's personas as your Pokemon. Persona is a fancy version of Pokemon.

Ok, that makes sense. So the character assumes the stats of whatever Persona he has equipped at the moment.

Is it a major detriment not to max out all the available social links? I don't feel like playing this game with my face attached to Gamefaqs. I've already got most of the social links I have at the moment at level 3 or so. Is there any major bonus in increasing them all the way to 10?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

McKracken posted:

I guess the major problem is that never having played a Persona game before this, I went in with a somewhat cocky attitude assuming I would blow through the first dungeon without batting an eye like nearly every other RPG I have ever played.

So it seems that I should let the game reset itself a week, because I can't see how I'm going to finish this dungeon in the shape I'm currently in.

Ok, that makes sense. So the character assumes the stats of whatever Persona he has equipped at the moment.

Is it a major detriment not to max out all the available social links? I don't feel like playing this game with my face attached to Gamefaqs. I've already got most of the social links I have at the moment at level 3 or so. Is there any major bonus in increasing them all the way to 10?

You definitely want to max your party member links.

As you increase social links, when you fuse a Persona, that persona gets more experience. Say you fuse a Jack Frost, and your Magician link is at 0. It won't get any extra XP. If your link is at, say, 5, it gets a good bit of extra XP. At 10, it gets a ton of XP and will likely level up to almost getting its last ability.

Also, when you max a SLink, you unlock the ultimate persona for that Arcana.

Don't use GF for the first time you play through the game. Max who you want, and ignore the rest (like Ai).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

McKracken posted:

You unlock the ultimate persona for that arcana. They're not crucial to have, but certainly useful. It's much more important to level S-Links with teammates than non-teammates, since they get extra bonuses like special abilities and at max level, their personas evolve and become more powerful.

Also, you should probably disregard some of my combat advice for what Salt Block Party said. It's been a long time since I did the early dungeons and I did have a lot of SP run outs when spamming magic early on. Identifying weaknesses of new enemies is extremely important though, just knocking down one of your enemies then striking it again to stun it can give you a nice edge in fights that you're not sure of.