Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

Does anyone have any recommendations for bar-end mirrors(2004 naked)? I'm interested in function as well as style, but I'm not sure if those go hand in hand when it comes to bar-end mirrors.

I'll be replacing the stock mirrors and I think I'd prefer a black finish to match the grips and rest of the black parts on the bars.

Fake Edit: Search is down, I'm lazy and didn't feel like going through 15 pages :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jdonz posted:

Fake Edit: Search is down, I'm lazy and didn't feel like going through 15 pages :effort:

Its okay, we're all friends in here. Check out the napolean bar end mirrors. I have a set on my GS500 and they are fantastic. On my SV650 the PO put on a set of crg bar ends and although the mirror is not as big they are still pretty vibration free and let me see behind myself with ease.

Some people adapt some mountain bike bar end mirrors to work. So check into that.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

dietcokefiend posted:

Nuclear headlight pics
My factory headlights are pretty good, but I think I gotta get some of these. I wonder if they can be fitted inside the S fairing/headlight housing.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

jdonz posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for bar-end mirrors(2004 naked)? I'm interested in function as well as style, but I'm not sure if those go hand in hand when it comes to bar-end mirrors.

I'll be replacing the stock mirrors and I think I'd prefer a black finish to match the grips and rest of the black parts on the bars.

Napolean bar ends are awesome. (See my pics a few posts back)
You can see everything. The little CRG round bar ends seemed a little small for my taste, so I went with the Napoleans. I'm glad I did.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

coredump posted:

Check out the napolean bar end mirrors.

Jay_Zombie posted:

Napolean bar ends are awesome.

Alright, almost sold. Napoleon only makes the one style AP-104 bar end? I like the looks of Jay_Zombie's mirrors in the picture, if those are the one's Bike Bandit has here I'll order them soon.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Yeah, those look like the ones. I'm not aware of them making any other styles.

Some people have an issued with either the ends of the clutch or brake levers hitting where the mirror connects to the bar, but I didn't. Though I'm quite tall, so mine may be rotated a little more than most peoples.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

jdonz posted:

Alright, almost sold. Napoleon only makes the one style AP-104 bar end? I like the looks of Jay_Zombie's mirrors in the picture, if those are the one's Bike Bandit has here I'll order them soon.

That's them. The cool thing is you can rotate the arm the mirror is on around the mount. So you can flip them in if you lane split or make the mirros go out to the sides. It'll make sense if you get them.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I want to say OrangeFurious has them on his Triumph, if so, I saw them when we met for the pig handoff. I'm not sure if he reads the SV thread to comment.

I don't understand how the levers get in the way. I read that on a few of the reviews I found. I can't picture my levers extending past the end of the bar. I'll have a look at lunch when I go outside.

Update: I ordered the mirrors from Bike Bandit, $28 (and change) a piece. I also ordered a manual and a replacement clutch lever. I'll post some pics when I get the mirrors installed, should be a week or so for shipping.

jdonz fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 2, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Well my new Corbin seat showed up yesterday, smells like death so I guess it is fresh off the assembly line. The fiberglass/resin frame was still outgassing like a motherfucker, couldnt have been more than a week or so old. I opted for black Mercedes leather everywhere, instead of any vinyl side panels. I think it turned out very nicely.

Few complaints:

Isn't exactly drop-in. I had to readjust the connecting bar to even thread in the screws while still kinda forcing it into position. I also had to take a section of old hose to shim up the bumpers that touch the frame. Out of the box the bumpers sit too low and as a result the seat stresses the fairings just a bit before it makes contact. Shimmed it up so now it doesnt put any weight on the plastic.

Seating surface is interesting so far. Mixture of breaking it in and the entire shape is vastly different. Instead of sitting on a rocking horse type seat it is now like a cupped church bench. You can't really feel any of the padding.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I can't tell if you like it or not... I guess time will tell.

I got my Haynes manual the other day, I was pleasantly surprised to see it was hardcover. Although the downside to it being hardcover is that I'm less likely to put it through the table saw to take off the binder so I can digitize and share it (is that cool to do?). I still may scan a few pages and post them up for everyone if thats cool. I was thinking wiring diagrams and maintenance intervals.

My mirrors and clutch lever should be here today.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

jdonz posted:

Yea same here, still need more rear end time with it

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande
The 99-02 SV Haynes manual is full of typos, which is irritating. It confused the gently caress out of me when I read that I needed 14V bulbs for the instrument backlights until I realised they just didn't proofread the details properly. A whole bunch of the page references in the indexes are wrong too.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

ranathari posted:

The 99-02 SV Haynes manual is full of typos, which is irritating. It confused the gently caress out of me when I read that I needed 14V bulbs for the instrument backlights until I realised they just didn't proofread the details properly. A whole bunch of the page references in the indexes are wrong too.

Some bulbs are sold as 14v bulbs ;)

Saw this at pepboys a couple months ago. They are rated for where the voltage sits more often.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I'll have to keep an eye out for errors. The manual I got is '00 - '08 but each section (if applicable) are divided by X - K3 and K4 and up. I don't have it in front of me or I'd post the ISBN for reference. Either way, thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

ranathari
May 26, 2006

by elpintogrande

dietcokefiend posted:

Some bulbs are sold as 14v bulbs ;)

Saw this at pepboys a couple months ago. They are rated for where the voltage sits more often.

I did not know that, although the SV manual (owners) says to use 12V. Ended up just sticking some 12V LEDs in there, which work nicely and will probably last a lot longer than bulbs.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

jdonz posted:

Ok first hour long ride on it. Different sore spots on my rear end, shifted stress from around my pubic bone area to primarily those bones under your rear end cheeks. I also had my boxers riding up and forming a tube of material that started to press in under my thighs, since the corbin seat is much firmer, instead of the old one that stuff pressed into it.

It took about a week to adjust to the stock seat, but at least off the bat the Corbin doesnt have the main pressure points. It also needs to break in, with ~2-3mm thick leather and some beefy foam.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

I got the mirrors installed tonight.

Here are the mirrors in the packaging:

Apparently, the mirrors aren't "bar end" mirrors, they are Baren :downsrim:
Did I get knockoffs?

The bike before:

With the stock mirrors

Old parts removed:

Stock mirrors and the bar end weights

The bike with the new mirrors:

The bar end weights were a bitch to get off. I tried to loosen them with a beefy Phillips but they wouldn't budge, I ended up twisting them off by hand. The Napoleons were easy to install. All you basically have to do is insert the mounting end into the bar end and tighten a #6 Allen bolt. The bolt and corresponding nut compress a rubber cylinder which forces the cylinder to expand, securing the mount inside the bar end.

After adjusting the mirrors, I did end up having a problem with the brake lever end hitting the mirror stalk. The solution was to adjust the control pod, and attached brake lever, a few millimeters downward. The control pod bolts were 8mm.

I also installed a new clutch lever, my old one had the ball end broken off when I bought it. The new lever was OEM, so it was a straight swap. There is one 10mm bolt that attaches the clutch lever to the lever mount. The lever replacement was as easy as pulling the bolt out, removing the lever, removing the clutch cable, placing the clutch cable into the new lever, mounting the new lever and securing the bolt. I ended up over-tightening the bolt a bit and the clutch lever wasn't rebounding as quickly as it should. I shot some lube in the mount and loosened the bolt a bit and it works fine now.

I took the bike for a quick ride with the new mirrors and so far I like them. I adjusted the mirrors so the stalks are perpendicular to the bars, not like the pictures show. With the 90 degree setup I can see the tail section of the bike and I can actually see across to the opposite lane fairly close behind me. The mirrors articulate quite a bit, I can even push them farther out if I wanted to. Functionality wise they seem better than stock so far. I also like the look of the front end much better than with the stock mirrors.

Bonus pictures:

Fake Edit: sorry for the lovely lighting in the pictures

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

dietcokefiend posted:

Ok time for some HID pictures of the XE7 system on my 2007 SV650

Dark street, a few street lights every few hundred feet, that is what is casting my shadow. I am also on an incline right in that spot, where it levels off about where the 2nd house is that is lit up, part of the reason why the high is so high. Low cutoff is still excellent though, which you can see doesnt even light up past the grass level on that persons house. Exposure on the camera is locked to make all pictures on equal terms, but figure slightly less bright than as shown.

These dont really do it justice though when you are talking about a two lane highway that is perfectly level. poo poo is lit-up for a LONG ways away. If I can find a safe spot to take that picture I will, but for now you get shots at the end of my driveway.

They make HIDs in a yellowish color? I thought they only came in white and down the spectrum to purple. These are my HIDs and they're the same brightness as yours in your pictures.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

They make HIDs in a yellowish color? I thought they only came in white and down the spectrum to purple. These are my HIDs and they're the same brightness as yours in your pictures.

Yellow = bright and all fun for the eyes
Blue= eyes :cry:

The bulbs in my setup are D1S lamps, which are basically only available in 4300k, unless you go to a custom bulb mounted in a D1S igniter. The end result is daytime light that is super easy on the eyes and doesnt hurt your night vision.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jack the Smack posted:

Unfortunately in terms of overall night vision and glare for other drivers yellowish light is far superior to bluish tint. Blue tinted lights are a nightmare when its wet out as well.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thanks for the Napoleon write-up. I've been considering some barends (barens?) myself, since I'm lucky if half the stock mirrors are useful.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Jack the Smack posted:

Hahaha you put hid bulbs in stock reflectors. And by hahaha I mean dammit man you're blinding yourself and everyone else.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Coredump posted:

Hahaha you put hid bulbs in stock reflectors. And by hahaha I mean dammit man you're blinding yourself and everyone else.

I think tonight I need to take a picture of what my projector looks like from the front. Never really looked at it from that angle.

mike fictitious
Apr 2, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!

jdonz posted:

I got the mirrors installed tonight.
[snip]
gently caress you for posting this.

I was about 25% sold on them when they were suggested. I don't need them obviously, but they do look pretty cool.

Seeing the transition has pushed me over the edge. I need them.

Stockers look so stupid being chrome when there's almost no chrome on my bike. If they are more functional too, then that's definitely a bonus.

Probably order them tonight.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

mike fictitious posted:

gently caress you for posting this.

I wish I took pictures with them actually lined up and adjusted, they look even better when they aren't wonky. They worked well on the commute this morning, no complaints, just a minor adjustment from stock.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Coredump posted:

A more lit up road makes myself blind? :confused:

Also I didn't put it in. Both only cost me $100 since one of the high beam bulbs was damaged and a friend of mine installed them. The stock reflectors work fine and I can stare at the light directly from an angle slightly higher than the bulb, and even stare directly at the bulb. The top of the reflecter is bright as hell though and when I look from even level or lower it hurts my eyes. So I blind people a lot during the day cause of my wheelies. :P

Charles 1998 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 10, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Jack the Smack posted:

Also I didn't put it in. Both only cost me $100 since one of the high beam bulbs was damaged and a friend of mine installed them. The stock reflectors work fine and I can stare at the light directly from an angle slightly higher than the bulb, and even stare directly at the bulb. The top of the reflecter is bright as hell though and when I look from even level or lower it hurts my eyes. So I blind people a lot during the day cause of my wheelies. :P

:haw:

If the road in front of your is super bright, the road/ground where light isnt blasted on will look darker or completely black. Think interrogation style lighting.

Just from that picture the amount of glare coming off that light is pretty intense and insane. Just because your didnt use you hand to install it doesnt mean "you didnt put them in".

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

jack plz post more wheelie vids with your SV n' sik hidz

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Jack the Smack posted:

Not only does the unfocused high intensity light hurt your long distance night vision but from the looks of your picture they're blinding everyone in a 60 degree fan around the front of your bike. People have enough trouble judging the distance and speed of motorcycles at night as it is. Blinding them is only going to make things worse.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Trying to find oil drain plug crush washers for the SV, and only seem to find one that costs like 83 cents or whatever at Ron Ayers for what amounts to an aluminum washer.

Does a cheap source of these exist?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

dietcokefiend posted:

Trying to find oil drain plug crush washers for the SV, and only seem to find one that costs like 83 cents or whatever at Ron Ayers for what amounts to an aluminum washer.

Does a cheap source of these exist?

you can reuse the old one, anneal it if you're that worried about it. my 8 year old sv is still on its first one, no leaks.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Totally out of left field: How does an SV hold up for light-duty touring? (read: weekend to a week or so)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Phy posted:

Totally out of left field: How does an SV hold up for light-duty touring? (read: weekend to a week or so)

In my experience? Excellently.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

Phy posted:

I should get around to making a thread about my 4-day weekend on mine. It's fine. I wouldn't want to do more than 500 miles in a day on it.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Phy posted:

Horribly, mine barely works for a day without needing to be parked away in the garage. (lol or is that my zx600)

The V-Strom DL650 is basically the same thing with an improved suspension and larger gas tank. People do crazy extended trips with them for thousands of miles at a time.

Zenaida posted:

I should get around to making a thread about my 4-day weekend on mine. It's fine. I wouldn't want to do more than 500 miles in a day on it.

What seat do you have?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

dietcokefiend posted:

The V-Strom DL650 is basically the same thing with an improved suspension and larger gas tank. People do crazy extended trips with them for thousands of miles at a time.
I know about the WeeStrom, it was my first choice as my step away from the KLR except that it's impossible to find it here used. There's a 1000 every week or so but Wees are like hen's teeth. Whereas the SV seems to be a nipple bike, everyone has two and some have more.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

Horribly, mine barely works for a day without needing to be parked away in the garage. (lol or is that my zx600)

What seat do you have?

First gen stock

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

Phy posted:

I've done a couple 300 mile days and I feel like my SVS did great. However, that was all secondary roads with no highway miles (I don't know if it's me or what, but I find riding the SV at highway speeds to be unsettling and at times outright scary).
Anyway, I just finished a proper luggage setup and I plan to do some extensive touring later this summer. I suggest investing in a better seat or modifying your OEM saddle.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I found the SV to be a fantastic long haul vehicle, gobbling up 600 mile days without problems. More if your a real man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

npn
Mar 7, 2006

Phy posted:

In my experience, great. I've done a month long, 7000km trip with days upto 800km on my 2002 650n on all sorts of roads, including 150km dirt stretches, and have had absolutely no complaints.

Stock seat, pro-taper bars.

• Locked thread