Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
finished i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

trill rear end posted:

finished i think

Sounds cool, I'd just turn the sub bass down a couple db so it sits in the mix better.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Tell me what you guys think, mixing and composition wise.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 8, 2014

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Yes it is

anything else?

:smug:

Quincy Smallvoice fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 7, 2009

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

finished i think

All the real dubby vibes you sell at the start are not well served by that main melody. Too easy, too mindlessly wobbly. The track doesn't skank at all. Maybe ride the LFO speed through the song or something, it just sounds too gross and huge right now. This track can groove so much harder. Its hard to explain, but that bass is just too locked in to the beat.

You need to add some more off-beat kicks in there too. Triplets or whatever you call them. I wanna dance to this like a reggae/garage/dnb song, not a house song!

There's no space on the track, really detracting from what makes those dub elements you have work in dubstep track. I bet if you slowed down by even like 3-5 bpm, it'd rock a little more.

The main melody and everything else is excellent melodically, I just think you could take the track to the next level if you took another crack at the song.

Like check this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVKboRPgu0U see how much more sparse it is? That's the kinda treatment I think this song could benefit from a bunch.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
After weeks of being out of it, i've been trying to get back in but I feel like I have so little direction. I'm also denying myself anything to copy - i've not listened to any techno in weeks and i'm finding it so much harder to come up with stuff when I cant remember whats been done before.

Spent a couple of days working this section up - it's just a build and little break, 1:30
http://soundcloud.com/schtick/stomp-smallclip

Is this worth carrying on/padding out?

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 7, 2009

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

ManoliIsFat posted:

All the real dubby vibes you sell at the start are not well served by that main melody. Too easy, too mindlessly wobbly. The track doesn't skank at all. Maybe ride the LFO speed through the song or something, it just sounds too gross and huge right now. This track can groove so much harder. Its hard to explain, but that bass is just too locked in to the beat.

You need to add some more off-beat kicks in there too. Triplets or whatever you call them. I wanna dance to this like a reggae/garage/dnb song, not a house song!

There's no space on the track, really detracting from what makes those dub elements you have work in dubstep track. I bet if you slowed down by even like 3-5 bpm, it'd rock a little more.

The main melody and everything else is excellent melodically, I just think you could take the track to the next level if you took another crack at the song.

Like check this track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVKboRPgu0U see how much more sparse it is? That's the kinda treatment I think this song could benefit from a bunch.

perhaps me and dubstep are not meant to be

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

trill rear end posted:

Don't get discouraged, you're such a drat good producer elsewhere that I'd hate for you to give up. Just twiddle some knobs and let the magic happen! :) Or do what I'm doing: listen, critically, to more stuff in that genre to try and figure out some of its secrets. Once you've cleared that extra mile, you'll be sitting on gold.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

xpander posted:

Don't get discouraged, you're such a drat good producer elsewhere that I'd hate for you to give up. Just twiddle some knobs and let the magic happen! :) Or do what I'm doing: listen, critically, to more stuff in that genre to try and figure out some of its secrets. Once you've cleared that extra mile, you'll be sitting on gold.

Off topic, but this drives me up a wall. Maybe it's just because of my background, but I can't count the number of people I meet who show me an album or whatever that they "produced", only to find out that they're the artist on the album.

:haw: "I'm a producer."
:raise: "Oh yeah? Who have you produced?"
:haw: "Well, my new single just got released...."

I know it's commonly misused, but it still annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to figure out what people actually do.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm a retard, I've made the bit at the bottom of the piano roll editor that shows the velocity disappear and I can't work out how to get it back. Help someone?

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Kai was taken posted:

Off topic, but this drives me up a wall. Maybe it's just because of my background, but I can't count the number of people I meet who show me an album or whatever that they "produced", only to find out that they're the artist on the album.

I know it's commonly misused, but it still annoys the hell out of me when I'm trying to figure out what people actually do.

You're kidding, right?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

Ya man, I didn't mean for it to come off like that. You just gotta keep banging out tracks.

Kai was taken posted:

People use "producer" in that way so much I don't think you can call it a misuse. Its a pretty accepted definition.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 8, 2009

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya man, I didn't mean for it to come off like that. You just gotta keep banging out tracks.

People use "producer" in that way so much I don't think you can call it a misuse. Its a pretty accepted definition.

Beaten. Writer's write, performers perform, producers...produce music. I can't think of another word to describe what I do do. I mean write music makes sense, but write doesn't seem to cover the whole act to me.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
ok tried extra hard to make it lurch and swing and have space

feedback pls

ps this is just a draft, gonna change the siren and the lfo rate for a lot of it

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

trill rear end posted:

feedback pls

ps this is just a draft, gonna change the siren and the lfo rate for a lot of it
yaaaaaaa bro. that is so sick. so nasty. i like the hats. you could probably do a couple more rolls with them here and there in the intro. heaaaaaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvy drop. and that is so glitchy and nasty. you could put some more of those offbeat bassnotes on beat, but the idea is solid. like the first measure, do it all hosed up, fall on the beat with some of the notes the 2nd time.

its great. nice and crazy.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Kai was taken posted:

Actually I can sort of understand this. I think it's more common in electronic music than rock/indie/"band"-type musical enterprises, so that's why it's used more. When I tell family that I'm a producer, I have to instantly clarify, because no one other than the heads are going to know what that means.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

trill rear end posted:

feedback pls

filthy bass. not the kind of dubstep i dig but that is def dubstep. hats are definitely good but they are a bit static, need to change from measure to measure, breath along with what the bass is doing. youve definitely got the lurch/swing going, this tune makes me want to fall over. Agree with manoli that the bass needs to be a bit more on beat. its like jazz, bass keeps time, through either notes or wobble, drums skitter.

im jealous of your speed of output. my rate of a tune every two months or so is not working.

edit; btw

xpander posted:

Just twiddle some knobs and let the magic happen! :)
worst advice i ever heard. just caus youre using a laptop doesnt mean youre not a musician who has to learn his poo poo. learn dubstep drums by listening to dubstep tunes and writing them out on the staff/whatever method. try to recreate one exactly. there definitely an element of chance and spontaneity to this, especially with synth programming, but when youre going for a sound you need to learn the rules of the genre and work within it. knob twiddling is how we ended up with glitch and idm nonsense.

Terrible Horse fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jul 9, 2009

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
while I'm here how about this: http://www.zshare.net/audio/624254638a5a2d03/

its a remix of Tunnel by Shuttle. its not there yet. one of the problems with it is that its too long and slow so feel free to skip around

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Terrible Horse posted:

there definitely an element of chance and spontaneity to this, especially with synth programming, but when youre going for a sound you need to learn the rules of the genre and work within it. knob twiddling is how we ended up with glitch and idm nonsense.

I was with you until the very last part. Glitch and IDM, and really all electronic genres, are created with attention to detail. They are not nonsense, and random knob twiddling will not produce good idm or glitch any more than it would produce good dubstep.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004

Terrible Horse posted:

worst advice i ever heard. just caus youre using a laptop doesnt mean youre not a musician who has to learn his poo poo. learn dubstep drums by listening to dubstep tunes and writing them out on the staff/whatever method. try to recreate one exactly. there definitely an element of chance and spontaneity to this, especially with synth programming, but when youre going for a sound you need to learn the rules of the genre and work within it. knob twiddling is how we ended up with glitch and idm nonsense.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I was being sarcastic regarding "twiddling knobs". The monkeys on typewriters approach might come up with something someday, but I don't think anyone really has the patience for that. The second half of that post was what I was really suggesting, which is incidentally what you said in your third sentence.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
word

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

http://soundcloud.com/schtick/stomp-smallclip

Is this worth carrying on/padding out?

Anyone got some quick thoughts on this? On the verge of scrapping it.

Damien
Jun 21, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Anyone got some quick thoughts on this? On the verge of scrapping it.

It definitely NEEDS some padding out eventually if you're going to continue it, but right now I like the dubby feel. You might want to extend and flesh out the buildup, too, right now it doesn't tease enough. It's a good sketch, I don't listen to a ton of techno but it sounds good to my ears.

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

dookie posted:

Tell me what you guys think, mixing and composition wise.

Any suggestions?

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
ok i think im done

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

trill rear end posted:

ok i think im done

Let the bassline roll man.

Pie in the Sky
Apr 16, 2009

whoops here we go again

trill rear end posted:

ok i think im done

Sounds mighty good to me.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

IanTheM posted:

Let the bassline roll man.

i agree with this

it's good and you've been progressing a lot but the thing that would make this a really banging tune for me is if sometimes you'd let the bass go for a whole measure

leave the LFO on the bass but then adjust the cutoff so the bass is always present but wobbles BOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWWWOOOOWWWWWOWWWWWWW :)

the glitchy parts to the bassline are cool too so keep those but mix it up with some whole notes

skrath
Nov 14, 2000
Horsum venit vir qui fert locustas!
Hey guys, I think this is pretty much done, would love some feedback though. Anything at all that needs to be tweaked would be appreciated. Purely big room progressive house:

http://soundcloud.com/the-sargents/amphibian-june-09

In other news, my first released single is doing pretty well on TrackItDown: http://www.trackitdown.net/genre/house/track/1074239.html

Got to #3 overall (#1 prog house), currently sitting at #4 if anyone is interested..

Thanks for the feedback in advance.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ashgromnies posted:

i agree with this

it's good and you've been progressing a lot but the thing that would make this a really banging tune for me is if sometimes you'd let the bass go for a whole measure

leave the LFO on the bass but then adjust the cutoff so the bass is always present but wobbles BOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWWWWOOOOWWWWWOWWWWWWW :)

the glitchy parts to the bassline are cool too so keep those but mix it up with some whole notes

Yeah, the thing is that you can still kind of feel the electro producer tendencies behind the music, and some of them work (the drums are great) but the glitchiness of the whole thing doesn't flow with the amount of space half-step dubstep gives you. Half-step was originally invented as a way of letting the bassline takeover, most of the preceeding 2-step stuff like in Garage had way bouncier and tighter basslines.

Anyhoo, I talk to much and don't put enough music:

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Can anyone explain the pitch wheel to me in Reason? How exactly do I program it to pitch up/down to an exact note besides just doing it by ear? I understand using parameter automation but what values constitute as a half step up/down? It also depends on the note range setting in the oscillator too correct?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

-8191 to 8191 is the standard range for midi pitch wheels, so to get an exact pitch the formula is (8191 / pitch bend range * pitch difference)

So for example if the pitch bend range of the instrument is 7 and you want to transpose up by 2, you do (8191 / 7 * 2) = 2340

Jzf_K
Sep 1, 2002
JS

ashgromnies posted:

i agree with this

quote:

Can't please everybody I guess...

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
i kinda like it how it is :)

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

dookie posted:

Can anyone explain the pitch wheel to me in Reason? How exactly do I program it to pitch up/down to an exact note besides just doing it by ear?

You use the setting called "Pitch Bend Range" which is present is pretty much any of the Reason devices, or if all you want is a slow slide from one note to the next, you use portamento.

quote:

It also depends on the note range setting in the oscillator too correct?
No, it depends just on the pitch bend range.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
I don't know if this has been posted in ML already, but my mate mute just showed me this and it looks like a great resource: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

Mannex
Apr 12, 2006

I've always preferred this guide for beginners.
http://www.beatportal.com/topics/c/guide-to-synthesis/P15/

The Sound on Sound one is a little too heavy.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

lil doody im workin on

( i rip off burial)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

trill rear end posted:

lil doody im workin on

( i rip off burial)

Sounds like a flying lotus beat (except quantized). Sounds good, though the bit crush sounds more aggressive than burial's crackles.

EDIT: Something I'm working on, a bit of 'soulful' old school garage.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 16, 2009

• Locked thread